• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DC Comics - Post Crisis Superman abilities

All of these apply to post eradicator absorption (tell me if I'm wrong about these I'm lazy to check the release date of some comics). Some of these are additions to ability he already has, those are bolded

Abilities

Resistances

Some of the stuff there is from Superman Where is Thy Sting?, which is actually a dream made manifest into a reality. Death put everyone else into a stasis, and in Action Comics #1030, Lois Lane referenced the events of the comic

Second is ability removals

Minor Power Mimicry (Learned stealth just by observing Batman do it[54])

Learning stealth isn't the same as learning complex kicks/jabs or whatever, so this shouldn't be power mimicry, just a very good intelligence feat

Doesn't look like he literally reprogrammed it, just incapped the robot with a surgical heat vision

Limited Power Nullification (He can cut off external sources of power using heat vision[18])

This looks more like a limitation for Gunge's ability

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't the New Gods themselves the ones who are platonic and not the Fourth World itself? Also since Superman likely used the Boom Tube to go in the Fourth World, which its suppost to alter Superman's physiology, would this be applicable to regular Superman?

And for Godhead Darkseid, i'm pretty sure Non-Physical Interaction already cover that.

Fate Manipulation (His sheer will can influence the preordained flow of time [Superman: The Man of Steel Vol 1 #118])
That statement never say that Superman had the power to control fate, only that his selflessness and heroic actions had positive influence to the world around him.

Up to Multiversal+ range for his enhanced senses (Noticed that all things in creation were being erased by Death [Superman: Where is Thy Sting?])
The statement never indicate that Superman was sensing the entire multiverse in that moment, at best he was refer to only the universe and even that its shaky at best, also it could count as Cosmic Awareness.

Also range its only refer to to someone's attack range, it has nothing to do with someone's awareness.

That sound more like Dimensional Travel only, since future and past where merging it doesn't seen like Superman was travelling across time.

Some of the stuff there is from Superman Where is Thy Sting?, which is actually a dream made manifest into a reality. Death put everyone else into a stasis, and in Action Comics #1030, Lois Lane referenced the events of the comic
That seen a little too vague of a statement to be honest to be taken literally as you say.

All of these apply to post eradicator absorption (tell me if I'm wrong about these I'm lazy to check the release date of some comics). Some of these are additions to ability he already has, those are bolded

Abilities
Seems fine. He should also have limited space-time manipulation.
Not sure
Dosen't sound like fate manipulation to me.
That's fine
Fine as well
Seems fine as well
This is him not holding back probably.

Resistances
How consistently does he resist existence erasure?
Fine i guess?

Second is ability removals

Learning stealth isn't the same as learning complex kicks/jabs or whatever, so this shouldn't be power mimicry, just a very good intelligence feat

Doesn't look like he literally reprogrammed it, just incapped the robot with a surgical heat vision

Agree with removals though.

Aren't the New Gods themselves the ones who are platonic and not the Fourth World itself? Also since Superman likely used the Boom Tube to go in the Fourth World, which its suppost to alter Superman's physiology, would this be applicable to regular Superman?

And for Godhead Darkseid, i'm pretty sure Non-Physical Interaction already cover that.

That statement never say that Superman had the power to control fate, only that his selflessness and heroic actions had positive influence to the world around him.

The statement never indicate that Superman was sensing the entire multiverse in that moment, at best he was refer to only the universe and even that its shaky at best, also it could count as Cosmic Awareness.

Also range its only refer to to someone's attack range, it has nothing to do with someone's awareness.

That sound more like Dimensional Travel only, since future and past where merging it doesn't seen like Superman was travelling across time.

That seen a little too vague of a statement to be honest to be taken literally as you say.

The world they live in is a platonic archetypal world, stated by Batman in the same scan, and in the map of the multiverse. You could be right about that, I think regular humans while boomtube amped can likely still interact with the Fourth World

The reason why I think its conceptual manipulation is because Superman was on Earth while Darkseid's essence was in the Fourth World, so its like Superman's counter vibrations travelled from the physical plane to a conceptual plane of existence. So its conceptual manipulation for a similar reason why punching someone's physical body while also affecting their spirit without directly touching it would be soul manipulation. Music or vibrations is something that makes up everything, what Superman used was counter vibrations or anti music which cancels out their existence, as shown in the scan in the OP. So if vibrations/music make up all things including concepts like Darkseid, then the antithesis of vibrations would be conceptual too. Anti music as shown in this scan on Barbatos' profile can shake the strings of the multiverse according to BWL, which should include the Sphere of the Gods as BWL is aware of places like that, and the sphere of the gods is conceptual, proving once again that music makes up a concept's existence too

The heroic actions statement has nothing to do with this at all, its at the bottom panel where Hunter states his will changes the preordained flow of time. Hunter and the linear men are time travellers which is why I doubt this is hyperbolic

Superman said all of creation, and Superman is obviously aware of the multiverse and things beyond it that are a part of creation

No, you must be new to this site if you think it only applies to attacks. Even if what you said was true, it would be dumb as hell to not include range feats for someone's senses simply because the range section doesn't list range for abilities that aren't attacks

Did you read the scan? It says he travelled through time and space

Most of these look good but I don't have time to look through them all atm. One thing I'll say is that the Multiversal+ senses thing might just be on a Universal scale, since he's talking about the Universe dying right before that, and creation can just mean the Universe.

The rest I can try to look at later, but a lot of this seems fine.

Most of these look good but I don't have time to look through them all atm. One thing I'll say is that the Multiversal+ senses thing might just be on a Universal scale, since he's talking about the Universe dying right before that, and creation can just mean the Universe.

The rest I can try to look at later, but a lot of this seems fine.
Superman's definition of creation should include the multiverse since he's aware of it. He's travelled across different universes countless number of times

Superman's definition of creation should include the multiverse since he's aware of it. He's travelled across different universes countless number of times
At this point in Post-Crisis, I'm not sure how often it was, but I don't think it changes the point that creation could mean Universe. People can still call Earth "everything" even if they know there's tons more out there in space, and it makes sense here especially considering the context of the Universe dying.

Dimensional travel seems fine, but idk about Time Travel considering that Supes theorizes it's either no time or all of time, and the former would make sense with him having been outside of time and then having to overcome its barrier to return. Reactive evolution seems really solid, and to add on to it, Superman is frozen in time in Superman #61, but is fine 12 issues later in Superman #73. For power null, I think that seems pretty direct in that he cuts off his power source, so is there something I'm not getting about how Power Null works?

Most other stuff looks fine at a glance, especially Existence Erasure existence if he didn't have that already, but I'm neutral on conceptual manipulation off of the reason given.

At this point in Post-Crisis, I'm not sure how often it was, but I don't think it changes the point that creation could mean Universe. People can still call Earth "everything" even if they know there's tons more out there in space, and it makes sense here especially considering the context of the Universe dying.

Dimensional travel seems fine, but idk about Time Travel considering that Supes theorizes it's either no time or all of time, and the former would make sense with him having been outside of time and then having to overcome its barrier to return. Reactive evolution seems really solid, and to add on to it, Superman is frozen in time in Superman #61, but is fine 12 issues later in Superman #73. For power null, I think that seems pretty direct in that he cuts off his power source, so is there something I'm not getting about how Power Null works?

Most other stuff looks fine at a glance, especially Existence Erasure existence if he didn't have that already, but I'm neutral on conceptual manipulation off of the reason given.
"Everything" is too different from all creation though, and I feel like it will take more assumptions to say "all creation means just the universe" then to say "all creation means everything that has been created"

Thank you to everybody who are helping out here.

Agreed, I'm not sure about the Heat Vision feat but with defeating Godhead Darkseid it's manipulating a sort of fundamental nature of the universe, the universe as vibrations, to attack too so I think it's more.
limited Antimatter Manipulation and Quantum Manipulation (Accelerated the generation of virtual particles and anti-particles by using the uncertainty principle [Superman/Batman #80])
Agreed
Fate Manipulation (His sheer will can influence the preordained flow of time [Superman: The Man of Steel Vol 1 #118])
There are better things to use to prove Superman has some unconscious form of fate manipulation or even plot manipulation honestly. It's not a power he consciously uses it's more a power that comes from the very concept of Superman in DC.
I agree with Dimensional Travel. Could be Time Travel but not conventional time travel, it's not really by his own power that he's wherever he is, it's Death putting him there and then he travels out of it by pushing beyond the limits of space and time.
Agreed
Agree but I don't think it's instinctive reaction.
Resistances
Agreed

There are better things to use to prove Superman has some unconscious form of fate manipulation or even plot manipulation honestly. It's not a power he consciously uses it's more a power that comes from the very concept of Superman in DC.
If the fate thing doesn't even come from Superman himself but its from outsider influence of the DC editors/authors/writers, can we trully grant him such ability in the first place?

Otherwise then Batman can be argue to have Fate Manipulation too, in virtue of be The Goddamn Batman.

In Vs Debate we always assume that the fight happen in a neutral setting, meaning plot armor/authority bias should never matter here.

I also do not think that we can give Superman fate manipulation due to plot armor.

If you want to give Supes plot and fate manipulation because of those, make another thread because I don't have the scans and it would be a waste of time to just arrgue it here

Abilities
I would add a "Limited" clause, these are mostly just him negating things. Possibly acceptable tho.
Could work.
Eh, that's the Specter memeing about how Superman's influence on others is able to alter the events previously set in motion, I think. Idk tho.
Don't know enough about Thy Sting to answer.
Yeah, no, that works.
These work as well.
Resistances
These probably work too.
That kinda makes it a possible outlier, yeah?
Well, it's already listed as Limited, so that's probably why.
Yeah.

Ok then. For the silver banshee one, is it ok if I say "possibly gained a resistance to her scream"?

What Firestorm808 accepted can probably be applied, but not what he rejected.

I can look into this now. Can the op be updated with a "(X)" at the start of the rejected things?

See below.
Well,
  • the feat's too vague and it's unclear what even happening (Is the "place" an alt. dimension or just the future as he said? Is he dead and he revived himself? Is any of what he did a superpower he didn't show before or what Death did has as a weakness that it can be overcome via love & stuff?)
  • and he didn't just pushed through the barriers of space and time, but memory and emotion, which is meaningless and may make the effort unquantifiable
I wouldn't agree myself.
So it is a dream. Well, that's something that makes all that inapplicable. Not only it can be argued that one can do things more freely in a dream, but context points this out too; Death isn't Death, but Supes' own death / a delusion / manifestation of things Supes was feeling, which can mean it was using its powers in a way that can allows Supes to do all that, or that that is the nature of its powers. Death says that in defeating it Super was defeating psychological demon in his mind, which can mean doing the latter leads to the former. Death asks to consider that there might be a place where mind and matter intersect; where that which hides in your dreams takes form, implying that is the place where they were before. Dreams & mind-based things becoming real at random is pretty clear on how this had no solid rules. Nothing from this comic should be added.
Say "resistance" to that beam, not "immunity", it takes him effort to do that.

I would word the second as "By experience, he stated to have "developed a resistance" of sorts against magic mind control, although it is minor".

The last one is worded wrong, Supes and Sirius Black say something else about what's happening: After being affected by Silver Banshee's scream and put into a coma [Action Comics #595], he either built up an immunity to it, was magically protected, or it was "a bit of both" [Action Comics #662]

I updated the wording in the Reactive Evolution page some time ago; you will find that this is Adaptation instead.
That's not Instinctive Reaction, not minding other emotions and putting too much focus on destroying isn't that.
There is no reason to say this weren't separated things, the blast on its own and its ability to make a portal/hole not being offensive.
  • Existence Erasure, Conceptual Manipulation (Could resist being erased from reality by Mxy.
Scans and source?
He wasn't attempting to kill him, just bully him. Darkseid can do many things with his Omega Beams.
See above.
Well, I see it far more likely that there is a mechanic/weakness to his power that makes it so people like Superman can't be erased due to having been influencing history for centuries; hence he leads by pointing that out, which doesn't at all sound like a resistance Supes himself has but simply a side effect of that fact.
  • Can survive being erased from history by Mxy)
Scans and source?

Okay. Can somebody write a summary please?

See below.

Well,
  • the feat's too vague and it's unclear what even happening (Is the "place" an alt. dimension or just the future as he said? Is he dead and he revived himself? Is any of what he did a superpower he didn't show before or what Death did has as a weakness that it can be overcome via love & stuff?)
  • and he didn't just pushed through the barriers of space and time, but memory and emotion, which is meaningless and may make the effort unquantifiable
I wouldn't agree myself.

So it is a dream. Well, that's something that makes all that inapplicable. Not only it can be argued that one can do things more freely in a dream, but context points this out too; Death isn't Death, but Supes' own death / a delusion / manifestation of things Supes was feeling, which can mean it was using its powers in a way that can allows Supes to do all that, or that that is the nature of its powers. Death says that in defeating it Super was defeating psychological demon in his mind, which can mean doing the latter leads to the former. Death asks to consider that there might be a place where mind and matter intersect; where that which hides in your dreams takes form, implying that is the place where they were before. Dreams & mind-based things becoming real at random is pretty clear on how this had no solid rules. Nothing from this comic should be added.

Say "resistance" to that beam, not "immunity", it takes him effort to do that.

I would word the second as "By experience, he stated to have "developed a resistance" of sorts against magic mind control, although it is minor".

The last one is worded wrong, Supes and Sirius Black say something else about what's happening: After being affected by Silver Banshee's scream and put into a coma [Action Comics #595], he either built up an immunity to it, was magically protected, or it was "a bit of both" [Action Comics #662]

I updated the wording in the Reactive Evolution page some time ago; you will find that this is Adaptation instead.

That's not Instinctive Reaction, not minding other emotions and putting too much focus on destroying isn't that.

There is no reason to say this weren't separated things, the blast on its own and its ability to make a portal/hole not being offensive.

Scans and source?

He wasn't attempting to kill him, just bully him. Darkseid can do many things with his Omega Beams.

See above.

Scans and source?
His spatial manipulation was offensive, it made a hole in space in that wall. Its not confirmed that Death was a delusion, that was Superman's speculation which Death himself didn't agree with. Same for the psychological demon thing. I don't know why dreams being turned physical means this comic had no solid rules, that's an arbitrary assumption

Well, I see it far more likely that there is a mechanic/weakness to his power that makes it so people like Superman can't be erased due to having been influencing history for centuries; hence he leads by pointing that out, which doesn't at all sound like a resistance Supes himself has but simply a side effect of that fact.

Him gaining a resistance to being erased from history because he was too important for history is still a resistance. The things I didn't have scans for are already on the profile

Back