• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Do we use yu-gi-oh game mechanics or not?

DontTalkDT

A Fossil at This Point
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Bronze Supporter
I had a casual look at Number 96: Dark Mist's profile. It states things like "thanks to Dark Mist's effect, by detaching an overlay unit from it, it can halve an opponent's monster ATK, and then it gains that same amount of ATK points that was just take" and "thanks to Number C65: King Overfiend's effect, he can passively nullify the opponent's monsters effects, and even detach an overlay unit from it, to make one of them lose 1000 ATK and DEF."

Which sounds like abilities that come from interpreting the cards game mechanic effects.

The verse page on the other hand states "Use of Monster/Spell/Trap card game mechanics are not acceptable to use in versus threads, as they were shown not to be practicable in actual combat."

Is this a contradiction, do the effects actually not come from the game mechanics card texts or is it that we list the game mechanic ability interpretations, but don't use them in vs-threads?

WeeklyBattles said:
Yes, we use them, not sure why thats still there, there was a thread about rmoving it months ago
So we do. Interesting.

I wonder what happens if you make Goku draw a card via a card effect...

Weekly you should probably add more context...

Short answer is that we do both, you just have to prove the user in question actually has the ability to use the effects, rather than generalizing the verse.

I might make a CRT thanks to some info I found, but for now thats how it stays.

Back