• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Discussion Thread 100

j7spdpxs5xic1.jpeg

Honestly I think it would be really cool to see giant Piccolo grappling with Goku's PUI avatar and just slugging it out OG Dragonball style.

Do people actually think this shit gonna end in a Goku win? I'm banking on draw but no shot they introduce new power just for Goku to say "nah, I'd fodderize." What's gonna be the excuse, Gohan hasn't had enough time to control his power? 😭
Gohan says he’s actually had time to figure out his form and name it, so he might actually have control of this power. That said, I’d prefer if the result was Goku wins (due to superior technique, wider versatility, and potentially more stamina), but Gohan is his physical superior (having better strength, speed, and defense than his father). That way everything maintains what has been said by the statements given whilst also still keeping everyone relevant.

Gohan says he’s actually had time to figure out his form and name it, so he might actually have control of this power. That said, I’d prefer if the result was Goku wins (due to superior technique, wider versatility, and potentially more stamina), but Gohan is his physical superior (having better strength, speed, and defense than his father). That way everything maintains what has been said by the statements given whilst also still keeping everyone relevant.
Why can't all this apply and Gohan still win or a draw?

Why can't all this apply and Gohan still win or a draw?
Gohan winning wouldn’t be bad, necessarily, but it does undo a lot of concerted effort to try to bring back Martial Arts as a focal point and how it can cross raw power gaps. We’ve seen this trend in many recent stories, (ToP, Broly, Moro, Gas/Granolah, and now seemingly Daima), so it would be several steps backwards. And a draw isn’t necessarily bad, but leaving it vague/a tie feels a lot like a cop out and contradicts what we’ve been told. It’s just a lot better and more consistent if Gohan is straight up the superior power while Goku is the superior martial artist and wins.

You have to remember, just having physical power isn’t enough to win in Dragon Ball. Your mind, body, and spirit ALL have to be in tune and honed. (Something mentioned by King Kai, Whis, and the Yardrats). Furthermore, you forget that Goku’s name doesn’t come from being “the strongest.” Sun Wukong is “the monkey enlightened to the Void.” It’s ultimately just superior in writing to maintain that stance.

Gohan winning wouldn’t be bad, necessarily, but it does undo a lot of concerted effort to try to bring back Martial Arts as a focal point and how it can cross raw power gaps. We’ve seen this trend in many recent stories, (ToP, Broly, Moro, Gas/Granolah, and now seemingly Daima), so it would be several steps backwards. And a draw isn’t necessarily bad, but leaving it vague/a tie feels a lot like a cop out and contradicts what we’ve been told. It’s just a lot better and more consistent if Gohan is straight up the superior power while Goku is the superior martial artist and wins.

You have to remember, just having physical power isn’t enough to win in Dragon Ball. Your mind, body, and spirit ALL have to be in tune and honed. (Something mentioned by King Kai, Whis, and the Yardrats). Furthermore, you forget that Goku’s name doesn’t come from being “the strongest.” Sun Wukong is “the monkey enlightened to the Void.” It’s ultimately just superior in writing to maintain that stance.
Have you ever heard of "puncher's chance"?

I think the problem is similar to the comics where character development gets effectively retconned due to having too many writers with their own interpretation of Goku/Vegeta/Gohan.

Toei Anime writers/ Toyotaro have kept their respective Gohan consistent within their own show.

While Toriyama is like : Yah I don't give a f*ck. I will write whatever I want . You guys have to deal with it.

I feel like Toriyama should go back to a consulting role and share dragonball lore and ideas and let Toyotaro adapt it all in his own way.
Toei should then take Toyotaro's stuff as a base , improve his flaws and make their anime. This way we would have none of these problems.
Yeah I can definitely understand where you're coming from. I love dragon ball but it just hurts to see the character progression of many of the characters be swatted away so casually and there's quite a lot I would change about dbs.
My ideal world would be, once Super is finished as a product, that Toei decides to make a chimera of both versions, taking the best of each one and eliminating the problems they have (because both versions stand out for the amount of right and wrongs that they have, but let's be honest, it's impossible)

Not to hate, but I had already written this and I don't want to waste it, so here it goes:

At least the manga has the excuse that it focused so little on Gohan, that its retcon is almost irrelevant (with the exception of the Moro saga)
but it's not like that's a good thing, because prior to the Tournament of power arc and Moro, Gohan was nothing in the manga
Gohan in the super manga
The beginning of his development is cut (No resurrection of F), in the U7 vs U6 saga he is only mentioned and Goku shows no respect for his profession, Black saga... an extra chapter saying that he trains every week in Vegeta's gravity chamber and in the tournament of power... well basically nothing, he faces Kefla, she asks him if he won't become a super sayayin and Gohan responds that he wants to follow his own path... without anything that he backed it up, basically empty words.
Moro Saga, he appears to save Piccolo, he shows us that they have been trained with Piccolo and knows all his movements (something that is also ignored in the Superhero saga for no apparent reason), he is the leader of the fight against Moro's henchmen , proves to be somewhat strategic by calling the Androids and doing combined attacks, so that 73 cannot do the same and cannot beat them just by absorbing their energy, and when Goku arrives on Earth he apologizes for getting him into his problems again. knowing that Gohan doesn't like fighting

While that’s true, the skill gap between them (thanks to his litany of abilities), should make that virtually impossible. Also, I’d argue that it still undoes the effort put in to reinstate the martial arts basis of the series.
1. What implies this large skill gap you speak of?
2. Puncher's chance is a phenomena that states large skill gaps can be overcome by luck. So it being virtually impossible does nothing.
3. No it doesn't. Puncher's chance isn't a big **** off explosion blast. It's a real "phenomena" that happens in real martial arts. And if any less skilled character winning undoes the effort of "reinstating martial arts", this brings a scenario where superior skill wins every time (which straight up makes for boring story ngl.)

1. What implies this large skill gap you speak of?
2. Puncher's chance is a phenomena that states large skill gaps can be overcome by luck. So it being virtually impossible does nothing.
3. No it doesn't. Puncher's chance isn't a big **** off explosion blast. It's a real "phenomena" that happens in real martial arts. And if any less skilled character winning undoes the effort of "reinstating martial arts", this brings a scenario where superior skill wins every time (which straight up makes for boring story ngl.)
1) The fact that Gohan was "rusty" in the film and manga again despite still having trained, an explicit lack of understanding in fundamental martial arts principles of the Gods (such as Migatte no Goku'i or Wagamama no Goku'i, which are said to be the height of skills within the story, the lack of move variance {Goku has illusions, paralysis, Hakai, can heal himself, teleport, can create his avatar, seal him away, etc.), and the multiple instances of which Gohan goes on stints of lacking training compared to Goku.

2) Yes, but higher an higher levels of skill and knowledge (especially how to counter attacks and defenses), reduce the possibilty of this occurence, and greatly help in preventing it. Furthermore, I bring up "Puncher's Chance" being "virtually impossible" as in, Goku literally is fighting him in the form that makes contact with him due to his evasive capacity nearly impossible.

3) In the context of Dragon Ball, it totally could be a "big **** off energy blast." It's literally happened before (Trunks Vs Imperfect Cell, where Trunks overcomes the skill gap between them with a big ass lateral blast that destroys Cell, or Vegeta using "big **** off blast" in the form of Final Explosion to attempt to defeat Buu or defeating Toppo. And no, skill being brought back doesn't create that issue? The very stories mentioned (ToP, Broly, Moro, Granolah/Gas, and Daima), all insure that power remains integral.

In the ToP, Goku's superior skill only allows him to maintain advantage while Caulifla is learning. Once she catches on, her power starts to overwhelm him, forcing him to transform. You want a Manga Example? Roshi's skill exceeded Jiren, but wasn't enough to do more than a few dodges, and once Goku's did, he only got to beat on Jiren for a few panels before UI went away.

Broly? Goku and Vegeta's skill allows them to keep up with the constantly growing Broly, but it ultimately is necessary to bring out a higher level of power to match him (Fusion and Transformations) to stay in the battle, because no level of skill will stop you from being blitzed and one shot.

Moro? LITERALLY the same thing.

In Granolah and Gas's Saga, the same thing. (Wisher's having to learn their abilities to keep up with Goku and Vegeta's superior skill, Goku's skill allowing him to style on Gas' IT, etc. but still being beat down by the raw power of the Wish and Frieza.)

I'd also much rather have skill be a focus than power in Dragon Ball. It's simply more interesting that way.

The fact that Gohan was "rusty"
In both media it takes no more than a few days or hours for Gohan to get into shape because Toriyama has no idea how to make any meaningful character arc. Here, Gohan has been trained off screen which might excuse anything because again, Dragon Ball Super is dogshit.

Blue level A17 by punching poachers.

Okay accortding to the translations Goku somewhat improved his MUI form between Granolah arc and Super hero. It's been confirmed to be his strongest form by himself and Whis, surpassing even TUI
Good, I hated the entire concept of TUI

Why , may I ask? I have an assumption but would like to hear your thoughts
The concept of "finding your own version of Ultra Instinct" is so completely and utterly counterintuitive to the entire concept of Ultra Instinct being this completely unique ability that you can only achieve by calming your heart. But no, as it turns out, you can go wild with your emotions with "your own form of Ultra Instinct," totally negating the conditions for using the form to begin with. Even worse is that Goku literally calmed his heart perfectly fine enough to use MUI without issue against Moro after Merus literally died. So why is he suddenly having trouble with that? It's literally creating a problem that never existed and then making up some BS "solution," and I hope this is a sign that Toriyama/Toyotaro realized how badly they screwed up with this "True Ultra Instinct" concept.

Back