• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like in CD where Sonic time travels by reaching FTL speeds
I would just like to clarify, I don't recall this being stated in the JP guide at all. The JP manual states Sonic can time travel by absorbing the energy in the sign posts and maintaining lightspeed. Nothing about going FTL. He uses the energy imbued in the Past and Future posts to time travel by triggering its energy at lightspeed. At least as far as I recall.

I would just like to clarify, I don't recall this being stated in the JP guide at all. The JP manual states Sonic can time travel by absorbing the energy in the sign posts and maintaining lightspeed. Nothing about going FTL. He uses the energy imbued in the Past and Future posts to time travel by triggering its energy at lightspeed. At least as far as I recall.
That's... pretty much what I said, Laser.

The Secret Rings feat is legit. All Sonic does is break the walls. There's no warping.

That's... pretty much what I said, Laser.

The Secret Rings feat is legit. All Sonic does is break the walls. There's no warping.
I feel what I said is far different. One is a statement that someone time travels by going FTL speed (And thus makes it seem like a rule of the Universe in Sonic), whereas I clarified that going FTL doesn't activate it. He has to maintain light speed and absorb the warping energy from the warp posts to time travel. However, I'd like to note I replied to that post, not to correct you, but because it was being used to argue that it is just a rule Sonic's universe follows, and thus any Immeasurable feat is only FTL because it was "established before".

I FORGOT about JP guide lore being more to the actual story than the english guide at points for the old games, thanks for bringing that up.

The fact that Sonic can have his speed measured in definitive units (Sonic Unleashed which is after Sonic and the Secret Rings) is kind of a problem.

Could argue that’s just a game mechanic, seeing as he has feats that put him above where the speedometer would put him.

i hope that one day someone decides to change the system of speed and literraly eliminated whatever is the ''time traveling by FTL is still FTL''gone

It's stated that it warps into an infinite space, by undoing the warping, Sonic can advance further into the room. That is not a feat of speed.
Where did you got that he is "undoing the warping" from?
I don't see how that's Immeasurable speed, it's very clear he can go through time thanks to the damage caused by the Time Eater and this wasteland of a dimension he's in.
What makes that so clear? I don't see anything in the game making this situational like you are saying

They very clearly do that by going through a rift
that doesn't matter, it is described as them breaking "through" aka from one end to another, them arriving at the end of it while ripping apart a portal to it fits the description

, it's not like they got to the end of the dimension.
If anything that's just dimensional travel.
It is both, it is dimensional travel when they arive at the end of the dimension

It's stated that it warps into an infinite space, by undoing the warping, Sonic can advance further into the room. That is not a feat of speed.
“Undoing the warping” is headcanon. All Sonic is doing is removing the blockades
They very clearly do that by going through a rift, it's not like they got to the end of the dimension. If anything that's just dimensional travel.

Gotta say, I disagree.
I’ve gone over this multiple times before, but basically, there’s no reason for a rift to form in Null Space given that it’s stated to contain nothing and Infinite is trying to keep them locked away for good. In addition, Double Boost is simply a speed amping move, and Sonic and the Avatar explicitly “broke through” Null Space. It’s far more assumptive to claim this is simple Dimensional Travel as opposed to a feat of speed.

Regardless, I’ll count your vote like with everyone else once I get home. This is getting harder on me by the minute

Could argue that’s just a game mechanic, seeing as he has feats that put him above where the speedometer would put him.
Also him getting caught by a black hole, having a stated speed here, having his speed measured here, having a stated speed here, although he is faster than a Cyan Wisp he takes time to catch-up to it and its still relevant to characters on his speed tier in some capacity. Also the indication that going around the planet would take some semblance of time from someone on his speed tier, etc.

Last edited:
Black hole was made by Wisps, not a normal black hole.

It just says he “can” run at Mach 1, just like all the other Mach statements, never says it’s his cap.

A lot of the nerfing statements are from IDW which like, yeah that’s Ian’s writing, it contradicts what was established in the games regarding Sonic’s speed caps.

Omega is fair but it still gets outweighed by the numerous times Sonic upscales LS way before Colors.

Sonic’s planet was able to sustain an infinite size Otherworld also, it’s not a normal planet.

Black hole was made by Wisps, not a normal black hole.

It just says he “can” run at Mach 1, just like all the other Mach statements, never says it’s his cap.

A lot of the nerfing statements are from IDW which like, yeah that’s Ian’s writing, it contradicts what was established in the games regarding Sonic’s speed caps.

Omega is fair but it still gets outweighed by the numerous times Sonic upscales LS way before Colors.

Sonic’s planet was able to sustain an infinite size Otherworld also, it’s not a normal planet.
I'll respond to this tomorrow.

The statement surge made like 'your speed of sound can't compete with my speed of light' feels like a weird meta jab at sonic's overall notoriety of being faster of sound in media than anything near a cap, really. Don't know if anyone thinks the same as I do but it does sound funny.

The expansion of one and not its gravitational pull, also made of hyper go on energy used by the wisps, which also scale to Sonic himself

having a stated speed here
I am sorry, i fail to see why this matters? Yeah he can easily do mach one, that is true with or without infinite speed

having his speed measured here
Doesn't work

You do know sonic is currently MFTL+ right? Again, his brand matters here because?

.....why are you listing characters who scale to Sonic? What point are you trying to make?

Don't see that in the scan you showed

Also IDW is ignored when conteadicts the games, rule accepted since it was made secondary canon in this wiki

Also, I don't get what's the point of mentioning surge saying they'll 'run laps around the planet till they find sonic', because.. they're running entire laps trying to find sonic who for all they knew could've been anywhere in the world?

Cause they literally just DON'T KNOW where sonic is at all. Every nook and cranny surge probably would check for all even they likely would've known.. looked more to be an oblivious comment with them not thinking ahead.

Made of Hyper-go-on, and a lot of it. It's beyond a normal BH. This can also be said for Cyan Wisps considering Sonic is MFTL+ atm, so they would need to be far beyond just LS to give Sonic a significant boost.
Mach One for funsies to debunk Infinite speed is the same as using it to debunk FTL, High Hypersonic, etc.
This is just in reference to his name/identity of being a casual Mach One-er. I mean, Sonic literally reflects a Cyan Laser blast with a shard of broken glass when she gets the Dynamo Cage issues later. Do we assume Surge's statement still holds weight? It seems to be hyped up speech more than anything.

Also, Sonic literally hands Surge her ass moments after that panel with a smirk on his face.
Except even assuming Sonic is like Rel+, this STILL would make no sense.

EDIT: Did NOT mean to triple team you with a response, I didn't see Omega's additional response 😭

Last edited:
The whole “your speed of sound can’t compare with my speed of light” really shouldn’t be taken to mean anything power scaling-wise. It’s not as if Surge ends up statuing Sonic like those speeds would suggest

It’s just a way of saying that Surge claims to be faster than Sonic while playing on his moniker

Also, I don't get what's the point of mentioning surge saying they'll 'run laps around the planet till they find sonic', because.. they're running entire laps trying to find sonic who for all they knew could've been anywhere in the world?

Cause they literally just DON'T KNOW where sonic is at all. Every nook and cranny surge probably would check for all even they likely would've known.. looked more to be an oblivious comment with them not thinking ahead.

Made of Hyper-go-on, and a lot of it.

Mach One for funsies to debunk Infinite speed is the same as using it to debunk FTL, High Hypersonic, etc.

This is just in reference to his name/identity of being a casual Mach One-er. I mean, Sonic literally reflects a Cyan Laser blast with a shard of broken glass when she gets the Dynamo Cage issues later. Do we assume Surge's statement still holds weight? It seems to be hyped up speech more than anything.

Also, Sonic literally hands Surge her ass moments after that panel with a smirk on his face.

Except even assuming Sonic is like Rel+, this STILL would make no sense.

EDIT: Did NOT mean to triple team you with a response, I didn't see Omega's additional response 😭
Tomorrow

Take your time, this thread ain't going anywhere. I just wanted to get my response to some of your points before I got tired, go to sleep, and forget lol and please don't feel like we're dogpiling you, definitely wasn't my intent

First time actively participating in one of these sonic debate convos, glad to see its going really civil.

Didn't think I'd actually be arguing for infinite speed base sonic because it always sounded weird to me back then, but not seeing it as unlikely anymore.

I just wanna comment that there's literally nothing wrong with having an Infinite speed character's measured in fiction. Sonic gets faster despite being Infinite, which isn't possible irl. Sonic Unleashed's SPD meter can just be a measure of different levels of Infinity, which wouldn't contradict anything. Omega stating Sonic is faster is also fine. The only way it would be an issue is if it's verbatim stated Sonic's top speed is a finite number or something. And even then, that'd just be a bad showing considering how many blatant FTL statements and feats there are.
Made of Hyper-go-on, and a lot of it. It's beyond a normal BH. This can also be said for Cyan Wisps considering Sonic is MFTL+ atm, so they would need to be far beyond just LS to give Sonic a significant boost.
To be fair, Wisps were never even only lightspeed. The JP intro for Cyan Wisp verbatim states they're FTL. Which ties in them with being comparable to Sonic who is also FTL (MFTL+ currently).
Don't see that in the scan you showed

Also IDW is ignored when conteadicts the games, rule accepted since it was made secondary canon in this wiki
I agree with you that there's no real indication of it taking any time. Just Surge saying they'll lap the planet until they find Sonic.

That said, it's also worth mentioning that the Comics take less priority than the games when it comes to scaling be Ian himself stated that if it contradicts the games to ignore it. I think it's clear he did this because he knows his interpretation of Sonic is quite different from SOJ, with his idyllic scaling be WAY different than what's shown in canon (This is the same dude who thinks Sonic should be a Building level Supersonic jobber).

Ian himself stated that if it contradicts the games to ignore it. I think it's clear he did this because he knows his interpretation of Sonic is quite different from SOJ, with his idyllic scaling be WAY different than what's shown in canon (This is the same dude who thinks Sonic should be a Building level Supersonic jobber).
He really stated that? I did think he probably wanted sonic to be way weaker than demonstrated in games (and clearly IDW by some of the dialogue in it) nowadays but I didn't think he actually said something like that.

He really stated that? I did think he probably wanted sonic to be way weaker than demonstrated in games (and clearly IDW by some of the dialogue in it) nowadays but I didn't think he actually said something like that.
Yeah, if I find it again, I'll send it. Ian's interpretation of Sonic is quite different from SEGA's interpretation, and I think he's aware of that. I also think for like... legal reasons he can't say the comics he writes overwrites the canon of the games that the comics are based on (That are managed by the people he works under). So it kinda makes sense for him to say that tbh.

I feel what I said is far different. One is a statement that someone time travels by going FTL speed (And thus makes it seem like a rule of the Universe in Sonic), whereas I clarified that going FTL doesn't activate it. He has to maintain light speed and absorb the warping energy from the warp posts to time travel. However, I'd like to note I replied to that post, not to correct you, but because it was being used to argue that it is just a rule Sonic's universe follows, and thus any Immeasurable feat is only FTL because it was "established before".
Oh yeah, I didn't mean it was a "rule of the universe". I just forget some people don't know Sonic as much as thus they need more clarification.

Edit: Ian said to ignore IDW when it contradicts the games in the same statement where he made IDW canon. So using anti-feats from IDW is a no-go.

Last edited:
So irl stuff happened and I couldn’t update the tally when I got home. I’m on mobile now so I just added the few votes I remembered off the top of my head

I think this is fine for the current Base Sonic, who does have feats of keeping up with foes who keep up with Super Sonic

I'll admit it's a bit weird to comprehend imeasurable and infinite speed scaling

I think this is fine for the current Base Sonic, who does have feats of keeping up with foes who keep up with Super Sonic

I'll admit it's a bit weird to comprehend imeasurable and infinite speed scaling
Well the Super Sonic level foes part doesn’t exactly mean too much considering the minimum for Super Form speed is dependent on Darkspine Sonic, which depends on Modern Base Sonic (hence why they’re currently MFTL+)

Regardless, I’ll add your vote

Well the Super Sonic level foes part doesn’t exactly mean too much considering the minimum for Super Form speed is dependent on Darkspine Sonic, which depends on Modern Base Sonic (hence why they’re currently MFTL+)

Regardless, I’ll add your vote
AKA, Secret Rings Sonic, AKA the game where he gets his first (reliable) infinite speed feat. Darkspine Sonic should definitely have infinite speed.

AKA, Secret Rings Sonic, AKA the game where he gets his first (reliable) infinite speed feat. Darkspine Sonic should definitely have infinite speed.
Oh he will now if Infinite speed goes through, I just mean that currently they’re MFTL+

Most of the Immeasurable stuff relies on Titan scaling, which in general makes me uneasy even if it does align with our stats, and the one straight Immeasurable feat he does have is conditional (though legit). But overall, I think there's enough here that Infinite speed is solid with mentions of the SR feat and Double Boost upscaling (if that's still deemed valid once this is over). Unsure if it should be under a possibly rating or not.
  • For Modern and Classic Sonic I would propose "[Normal speed ratings]. Immeasurable by accelerating in erased time"
@Planck69 @Elizhaa @KingTempest @DemonGodMitchAubin What do you think about Shake’s suggestion here? I believe it works, as it accounts for the feat while also acknowledging its conditional nature given that Sonic doesn’t just do stuff like this anytime he runs real fast. This would also only apply to the Sonics, because no one else replicates this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back