• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

For VS Debating... Should "Holding Back" be a possible mach condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a bit of a weird one and I'm not sure this has been discussed before but would teh concept of holding back be considerable for a battle situation? Levelling someone to a certain tier? I know this is awfully similar to that one time we had trouble when a match basically had everyone speed equalized and tiers be similar but well for one thing speed equalized shouldn't be added to this. More matches might pop up for certain characters this way and certain people with similar abilities but different tiers would be fun. Only instead of Speed Equalized we have Holding back as a level.

If not that then I at least want to ask about people who are for example 7-C to 6-C. With that level of tiering, are we really only allowed to use the absolute low-end and high-end? Or should we be able to use the forms in the middle in fights? After all it's not as if it's either 7-C or 6-C for some characters, not referring to all but referring to those whose feats allow for a bit of a malleable tier. It's kinda what fuelled my above statement on why people who are of high tier can't just 'hold back' on lower tiers for certain battle conditions. This may cause confusion just like speed equalize regarding powers that affect the statistics (like power boosters or certain abilities being available on certain tiers) but it is possible isn't it?

I don't think it's applicable to everyone but it's something I wanna ask and want to hear from people. Regardless of whether this gets accepted or rejected or not, I kinda just wanna hear thoughts on it too.

I think that too many battle conditions would make the matchups too complicated.

Even without speed equalization? This could also be only applicabel to those with ex 8-B to 7-B, and allowing the use of 7-C or 8-A forms.

We shouldn't make a habit of equalizing statistics as it starts to negate the entire point of the Tiering System and comparing characters' powers.

Speed Equal has an exception made as there are close to no match ups that have characters of both equal AP, powers and speed. I don't think we should make a habit of equalizing more things than that. Or else people having these powers/advantages becomes useless.

And I'm sorry but I don't want to start having nonsensical matches like "Kirito vs Omni-King stats and hax equal" get made and actually taken seriously. It'd also make us look rather silly if we were to add these matches to profiles.

Lastly is a victory really "notable" if they only won cause the other was "holding back" and pretty much let them win?

Understood.

Well I don't mean of that scale, and only if it's close or simple. But I see what you mean. Although my secondary point isn't about that though.

ex 8-B to 7-B, and allowing the use of 7-C or 8-A forms.

What of a situation like this when a fighter has a range of that tiering? Can we use the form that is between those values?

Maybe with characters that are capable of powering themselves down? But I don't see this getting accepted even then.

• If someone is 7-B, and they have lesser forms/keys that are 8-A, 7-C, etc. you can use that.
  • If a character has an unknown tier that ranges like Solaris used to then you can use the tier in that range that'd allow them to be equal to their opponent.
  • If someone has something like "At least 8-A, possibly 7-B," then you cannot make a 7-C form as they do not have a form that's 7-C. They only have either a 8-A or 7-B form.
  • A character "holding back" shouldn't be allowed in any scenario. It's not at all "notable" and like I said above negates the point of tiering.

So even if they're 8-A to 7-B it's not possible? Since it covers the range between the two points and aren't either points/absolute points.

And understood that last one. Agreeing with every points there except for the above.

If their tier is somewhere between 8-A and 7-B you can assume they're Town level to match an opponent. But something like that is very rare and Solaris was the only case I knew of until his rating was changed.

Most characters are "At least___, possibly/likely___" That isn't a range in between. That's one tier or the other. Boros does not have a Moon level form. He has a Multi-Continent form and a Planet form. You can't make his tier 5-C so he can fight a Moon level.

Not a problem at all. I guess I'll close this now then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back