• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Giving the Majority of Dragon Ball Characters Explosion Manipulation

Didn't Goku set and trigger explosions during his fight against Jiren? Didn't Picollo warn Gohan to detonate his Kamehameha before it landed on earth so as not to destroy it in Moro Arc?

Well I agree Explosion manipulation should be added.

Very few characters, if any, have demonstrated the ability to create landmines out of Ki.
The Dirty Fireworks, and Frieza blowing up Krillin, and Goku creating landmines, and the Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack (sorta) are all unique cases.

Agreed, they should have it, especially as they can manipulate the AOE of the blasts in particular, point is they have attacks where the whole point is making huge **** off explosions, and they can even manipulate the AOE of said explosions.

directing influencing the blast radius of the attack, he is just making the attack smaller.
"deals damage inside a specific range".

idk chief sounds like he's manipulating the attack's AOE to me, it even points out Galick Gun has big as **** AOE, aka, he can manipulate how big the blast radius of his Ki attacks will be, how he does so doesn't matter, what matters is he can make big explosions, but he can also make small explosions, he can make explosions and he can influence them to a degree.
If you want to get anal about exact wording just do Ki Control; Explosion Manip.

Frieza was using his psychic powers.
Psychic powers that cause you to violently explode into a burst of flames, my dude, that's actual nitpicking, point is he can make things spontaneously explode.

Very few characters, if any, have demonstrated the ability to create landmines out of Ki.
The Dirty Fireworks, and Frieza blowing up Krillin, and Goku creating landmines, and the Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack (sorta) are all unique cases.
But wouldn't it be a logical assumption to say characters who have Ki blasts similar to a Kamehameha could detonate thiers? Also, there is that donut thing that Gotenks does. Gogeta's stardust explosion, Hell zone grenade as well. Honestly using the word few is kinda incorrect there are quite substantial IMO

In fact I can think of many instances where the ki blasts attacks go straight through the opponents evaporating them and many instances where it seems they explode on impact... Coincidence? I think not fam

Last edited:
point is he can make things spontaneously explode.
We were discussing Ki Control and Ki Blasts at the time.
You were there.
what matters is he can make big explosions, but he can also make small explosions, he can make explosions and he can influence them to a degree.
His Galick Gun makes big explosions, because it is a super-powerful, generic energy blast without much thought or control put into it; the Kamehameha and the Galick Gun are confirmed by the Daizenshuu to be some of the most barebones techniques, right up there with Flight, the simplest of abilities. On the other hand, the Big Bang Attack creates small explosions because it is much more refined and concentrated than the Galick Gun, with the Daizenshuu making note of the differences between their preparation and the size of the blast. The reason that the Galick Gun and the Kamehameha have been believed to threaten the Earth time and time again is because they are powerful "currents" of energy, and the reason the Big Bang Attack only detonates so far is because it is "one big lump" of energy.

The smaller and more condensed an energy blast is, the less energy is being haphazardly unleashed when the blast explodes. This is like like blade logic; a punch does a bunch of damage across a large area, but a poke or a stab does a bunch of damage localized to one, much smaller area.
Also, there is that donut thing that Gotenks does.
The Galactic Donut does not explode. It only does that in FighterZ.
Gogeta's stardust explosion
Hell zone grenade as well.
Energy Blasts explode on their own.

This has been established already; whether it be the Kamehameha, the Big Bang Attack, the Spirit Bomb, the Masenko (Nappa deflected the beam, by the way), the Death Beam, even the Tri-Beam, an invisible kiai-type, or just a generic energy blast, they all explode. The only ones that do not or the super, super condensed and focused ones like the Special Beam Cannon. Explosions are just the result of a ton of energy colliding with matter and then scattering.
Yeah that is not the default assumption for what energy projection can do
How come? Nearly every facet of media, especially action, depicts energy blasts as either being concussive forces or explosive fireballs; see Energy Blasts, see Energy Manipulation, and see Energy Attacks on the Superpower Wiki. The image we use as an example of Energy Manipulation on the Wiki is of Shadow the Hedgehog creating energy blasts that explode.

Nevertheless, that just would not qualify for Explosion Manipulation.
I quote:
Explosion Manipulation is the ability to generate spontaneous explosions at will. This can be achieved through a variety of means, such as weaponry, specialized technology, or through supernatural powers. Some users are even able to direct them and control their path, allowing them to demolish specific structures and foes and making it harder for one to escape the explosion.
In order for any one of these characters to qualify for Explosion Manipulation, they would have to be able to:
  • Cause their energy blasts to explode at will, like a guided missile or something
  • Directly control the explosion their energy blasts creates to either make it bigger, smaller, more destructive, etc.
  • Or just create or manipulate explosions at will
Their energy blasts simply exploding by a virtue of being an energy blast is not enough to qualify as Explosion Manipulation. If that were the case, we would also end up giving every Explosion Manipulation user Air and Sound Manipulation, because explosions create loud booms and build up large gusts of wind.
I can think of many instances where the ki blasts attacks go straight through the opponents
Could you possibly send me scans of those instances and also include the page immediately after that shows the blast exploding once it hits the ground or the wall behind the character?

Their energy blasts simply exploding by a virtue of being an energy blast is not enough to qualify as Explosion Manipulation. If that were the case, we would also end up giving every Explosion Manipulation user Air and Sound Manipulation, because explosions create loud booms and build up large gusts of wind.
Yeah no, that's not how we do things, that's not the reason we don't give Explosion Manip for Air and Sound. Reason Air and sound manip alone don't give Explosion Manip is because they lack the lethal overpressure that gives booms their oomph, being able to **** up reinforced concrete structures (And other large objects and effectively destroy the internal organs of anyone unlucky enough to be in the vicinity of one. Plus, there's always the immense heat they give off.

Ki blasts? They destroy everything in their path with a vengeance and they give off massive amounts of heat.

His Galick Gun makes big explosions

Yes, it makes explosions.

because it is a super-powerful, generic energy blast without much thought or control put into it; the Kamehameha and the Galick Gun are confirmed by the Daizenshuu to be some of the most barebones techniques,

Yeah but it does make big ass explosions, because is arguing semantics in this case.
Neat, but they can also manipulate said techniques to create smaller blasts, aoe, and more.

right up there with Flight, the simplest of abilities.

Ok?

On the other hand, the Big Bang Attack creates small explosions because it is much more refined and concentrated than the Galick Gun, with the Daizenshuu making note of the differences between their preparation and the size of the blast.

Yes, which leads into smaller AOE and explosions, the inverse is also true, they're able to manipulate Ki to control the blast radiuses, the explosions, with the intent of manipulating it (Damn good thing too otherwise earth would be ****** every other stary blast).

The reason that the Galick Gun and the Kamehameha have been believed to threaten the Earth time and time again is because they are powerful "currents" of energy, and the reason the Big Bang Attack only detonates so far is because it is "one big lump" of energy.

Power currents of energy who's sole purpose 99% of the time is to make a big boom.

The smaller and more condensed an energy blast is, the less energy is being haphazardly unleashed when the blast explodes. This is like like blade logic; a punch does a bunch of damage across a large area, but a poke or a stab does a bunch of damage localized to one, much smaller area.

Big Bang Attack is one of Vegeta's strongest, most powerful, attacks, he is able to condense it so that the resulting explosion doesn't vaporize half the planet, but just the general area. He can control the AOE of the explosion of his attacks. Why or how is a bit semantic here, point is he can and does and basically everyone else too. Regardless don't get to hung up on Ki Control shit, it was just something I mentioned because I found it ironic.

I honestly hope you realize that you're missing the forest for the trees here, you're unironically arguing semantics, they manipulate Ki energy, yes that's true, but they do so with the direct intention of making big ass explosions, if the whole point is to make a blast, and they actively use that, at a whim, with said intent, it's explosion manip. It being a side effect of a energy beam, energy ball, or what not doesn't matter when that side effect is in actuality, the whole reason and main point of what they doing. They make big boom on purpose under their power, ergo, they get explosion manip.

In the end, Dragon Ball character, by all mean, generated Ki blast which can cause explosion, Ki blast is supernatural enough already. We give high tech weapon explosion manipulation, but not a supernatural energy blast like Ki??. Also, they manifest Ki blasts, with the exact intent of causing a huge or small ass explosion. This is enough to give them at least limited Explosion Manipulation

The Galactic Donut does not explode. It only does that in FighterZ.
the one where Gotenks makes a volleyball by trapping the opponent in multiple galactic donuts? Are you sure? There are variants of galactic donuts. I just can't remember rn.
There are cases where they don't explode, just like how Cell was disintegrated within Gohan's Kamehameha, Just like how Goku shot Vegeta into the upper atmosphere in their first fight with a Kamehameha, etc. There is a lot I am literally thinking of without rereading. I'm sure ill find more if I check it out.
Could you possibly send me scans of those instances and also include the page immediately after that shows the blast exploding once it hits the ground or the wall behind the character?
I'll send scans of the examples you'd like to verify because it's going to take a while.

just like how Cell was disintegrated within Gohan's Kamehameha
Giant. Crater.
Just like how Goku shot Vegeta into the upper atmosphere in their first fight with a Kamehameha
That's fair. Are there any more instances of this happening?
Some more explosions
Even more explosions

This has been established already; whether it be the Kamehameha, the Big Bang Attack, the Spirit Bomb, the Masenko (Nappa deflected the beam, by the way), the Death Beam, even the Tri-Beam, an invisible kiai-type, or just a generic energy blast, they all explode. The only ones that do not or the super, super condensed and focused ones like the Special Beam Cannon. Explosions are just the result of a ton of energy colliding with matter and then scattering.
The only ones worth any mention would be the King Piccolo one.
with the exact intent of causing a huge or small ass explosion. This is enough to give them at least limited Explosion Manipulation
Since when was the intent to do something enough to qualify for an ability?

Care to elaborate, champ?
Not really, this whole argument is a waste of time but if ya gotta know, go read (Saman's) CRT's I think, they make explosions.
"Explosion Manipulation is the ability to generate spontaneous explosions at will. This can be achieved through a variety of means, such as weaponry, specialized technology, or through supernatural powers."

They qualify, like goddamn the fact it says weaponry is allowed just sells it more, you gonna argue that a ki beam doesnt count but an RPG or rocket does?

That's fair. Are there any more instances of this happening?
Yeah, I'm gonna need back up, Out here making my brain think.

What about Beerus' sphere of destruction? it never exploded.

Spirit bomb disintegrating buu but you're probably going to use the existence of a crater as a rebuttal again.

back to the explosion argument:

Granola vs Gas, literally the latest chapter of super, Granola causes rocks to explode

Beerus causes rocks to explode with destruction energy, I'm pretty sure Vegeta has done the same against Gas.

have you said anything about the Gotenks volleyball move? I could've sworn he kept blowing stuff up with the galactic donut variants

Nappa literally caused a massive explosion with just a two-finger gesture at the beginning of Z

Vegeta's self sacrifice should count.

Beerus tapping an egg or table, causing half the planet to blow up

Yeah, that's pretty much all I can remember at the moment. These should be more than substantial I'm sure others will bring more

Last edited:
What about Beerus' sphere of destruction? it never exploded.
The Sphere of Destruction was a giant ball of fire.
Spirit bomb disintegrating buu but you're probably going to use the existence of a crater as a rebuttal again.
Don't need the crater, even though that is sufficient evidence. Just need the explosion.
Granola vs Gas, literally the latest chapter of super, Granola causes rocks to explode

Beerus causes rocks to explode with destruction energy, I'm pretty sure Vegeta has done the same against Gas.
That would be a consequence of reducing something to nothing.
have you said anything about the Gotenks volleyball move? I could've sworn he kept blowing stuff up with the galactic donut variants
Yes.
A special technique.
Nappa literally caused a massive explosion with just a two-finger gesture at the beginning of Z
Okay? Nappa gets Explosion Manipulation then.
Vegeta's self sacrifice should count.
Special technique, again. An attack so bizarre and volatile it cost him his entire life.
They qualify, like goddamn the fact it says weaponry is allowed just sells it more, you gonna argue that a ki beam doesnt count but an RPG or rocket does?
Aaah, you gotcha.
Go ahead.

Speaking about Nappa, i have heard that the Daizenshuu stated that the users of Exploding Wave's technique utilize their own Ki to disrupt the planet's geomagnetic field to cause those explosions.

Do anyone had any scans to conferm this? Since if there its that could count as Limited Magnetism Manipulation.

I don't think it's limited tbh. They can manage the potency and shape/area of thier explosions. Most ki blasts generated a big boom with smoke afterwards with gusts of wind, sounds like explosion to me not gonna like.

So has this been added to all the profiles?

Quick question should they also get heat manipulation since ki blasts can cause heat and burnings.

All explosions and force/pressure cause some degree of heat via friction so more like heat generation rather than manipulation, but makes sense.

But there are instances of ki causing heat, such as kid gohan causing fire with his ki, Appule melting a large section of the terrain with his ki wave.

Back