• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How would you improve? Part 2: Sans

Jinsye

She/Her
Last one may have been a bit hard, but this one should be slightly easier.

Characters can be good, character can be bad. But it's impossible for a character to be perfect.

So! This'll be a thing to suggest on how a character could be improved. Writing wise or design wise. This isn't on bad characters, it can be good characters too. I'll start more popular but I can get more obscure as time goes by.

Second one, it's time to check in on our lazybones skeleton. Sans! How would you improve his character or design?

LargeSans

Make the fandom less rabid

Like if I'm being real Sans is a great character, but he's been kinda turned into one big meme due to the fanbase. And that's by far his biggest flaw.

I'm not quite sure about the character himself though. Some people bring up that him not mentioning Papyrus at all in his genocide fight (except at the end) to be out of character, but given the context it's fine imo

I don't know if you two, or at least the last person who responded, understood the point of this or not. He was never saying that Sans isn't a good character, he was saying that no character is perfect, which is true, and asked what could be improved upon for Sans in specific. Also, more importantly, the fandom is not relevant here. It's talking about Sans in specific, his actual writing, and design, the fandom has nothing to do with that, and what the fandom does with Sans doesn't make him a worse character, either, it's just the fandom being weird, as every fandom does

Personally, though, I don't have enough experience with writing to say what could be improved upon, especially for such a good character, and, no offense to anyone who's responded here or anyone who will respond, I doubt anyone else will, either.

Well, I did understand, I just don't think he needs improving for me, chill, the fandom because it affects my view and others of the character

Yeah, buddy, people already understood that. Let people kid around.

That said, I'm not sure what can be done with Sans. Unlike Kirby, I genuinely can't think of way to improve Sans. Maybe more closure in the True Pacifist route, with him being shown to be a bit less lazy during the credits or something. It'd be a nice showing if character development at least.

I don't think he actualy should be less lazier, he and us know the resets still are a thing, so everything can be brought to zero, so it the pacifist ending doesn't remove why he is lazy in the first place to be better

I said all of that because mentioning the fandom and saying he doesn't need improving is kinda going against the point of the thread, since this wasn't a discussion about the fandom, and saying he doesn't need improvement is, while true, irrelevant, since the thread is asking what he could be improved on, not what he should be improved upon or needs to be improved upon. And also, I'm not trying to come off as aggressive, nor am I angered. I don't appreciate acting as if I'm being rude or anything of the sort.

Moving on from that, it wouldn't really make much since for Sans to ever become less lazy or begin putting genuine effort into something unless Frisk were to stop using the SAVE file or Reset, and he was aware that they stopped. Sans makes it clear that he gave up all hope, and stopped putting effort into anything because it was all pointless if thing's just ended up being undone. A Pacifist Route can be considered a happy ending, but it isn't, for Sans, because, as far as he's aware, it's not lasting very long.

Stop trying to be the thread police pls, we get it but we are allowed to say what we think, and that's what I did, I am not going to say anything just to please these rules, I think Sans meme status affects what people think and without it people would think he would be a better character or more "respected", related to the thread point

I could form multiple responses to that, but I'll choose to just end this little argument, if it can be called that, by not continuing it, which I hoped you would have tried doing, but as usual, I need to be the one ending a pointless argument.

Yea don't think theres not much to improve really. Maybe make him have a fight in every route. Give him more puns though out the game even tho they trash asf and give us more character development between him and pap.

Giving him a fight in every route would ruin the impact of the Genocide route fight imo. And I think it would be nice if he showed trust in the player not to reset the timeline after a Pacifist ending... Making resetting and doing a Genocide route after that even worse.

Make the fights in the other routes pathetically easy as a joke, he throws one bone at you for a few turns and quits. So when he tries to fight you in the Genocide route, his difficulty is a suprise.

Hmm, maybe. It would also be cool if, in the second half of the Geno fight, he started throwing various colors of attacks and souls at you, it'd make it even more chaotic and be a fun final exam of sorts.

Also those fights should use the "song that might play when you fight Sans", the fact the song never plays normaly is a mistake that nerds fixing

I dunno, I think that's the joke, might play. Then again, obviously we're not using Megalovania for those fights.

Jokes aside, I definitely have complaints with Undertale, but almost none of them are about the funny skeleman himself.

00potato said:
Make the fights in the other routes pathetically easy as a joke, he throws one bone at you for a few turns and quits. So when he tries to fight you in the Genocide route, his difficulty is a suprise.
just what I meant

Back