• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Infinite Speed Guidelines FINALE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except it isn't as the characters have never interacted with time abilities before or have ever been implied to be able to resist them.

You missed the point. Attacks that travel at infinite speed still suffer from Cinematic Time. Having limited speed on screen doesn't prove anything.

You're linking "can move in a timeless void" with "resistance to time manip" when the two are not the same thing

No, I got the point. My counter point was that in order for us to determine if something travels at infinite speed, it should be made explicitly clear and not just assumed.

You are the one doing that. Not me.

No. Attacks that are confirmed to be infinitely fast still suffer from Cinematic Time, and therefore using this argument to prove anything is flawed.

In order to move in a void where time doesn't exist, you need Immeasurable speed. In order to move in one where time stands still, you need Infinite speed. We aren't assuming anything, this is what math tells us.

@Kepekley

Okay. Thank you for the help.

@AKM

I was talking in general, not directed at anyone in particular.

Kepekley23 said:
It's not reasonable to assign a resistance to time stop to a character who has literally never faced a time ability, and has never even been remotely implied to be able to resist one.
Unless I misunderstood your statement, in which case I apologise, this was you linking the idea of time stop to timeless voids / places where time stands still, and saying that you needed to having prior showings that you had resistance to time manipulation in order for you moving to be treated as resistance.

That's not the point Kep. Moving in a timeless void on its own does not confirm that you are infinitely fast because there are other options. Attacks that move infinitely fast would need to be confirmed to be infinitely fast in another way that is clear and reliable. The cinematic time is irrelevant to this. If the attack is confirmed to move at infinite speeds, cinematic time can be used as an excuse. If the attack/person is not confirmed to move at infinite speeds in a clear and reliable way, saying that the reason they appear to not be moving at such speeds in every other situation is because of cinematic timing, is stupid.

You are assuming that the person is moving at those speeds instead of simply having the power to move in timeless voids. I'm not saying the maths is wrong, I'm saying the assumption that lets you use the maths in the first place is wrong.

Anyway, I don't have much stake in this, and I'm going to bed now, so decide on whatever you want. My opinion stays the same

Correct me if I am wrong but if a character has infinite speed, he can already move in a time stop where T=0. That's no different than having the ability to move where time doesn't flow. But let's digress.

And nobody here used the "cinematic timing" as any kind of argument. So IDK where that came from.

That said, I 100% agree with Monarch.

AKM, does Monarch imply to remove the Infinite speed concept and replace it with resistance to time stop?. Because if it so, it would ruin the guideline of this thread.

No infinite speed is a thing. Infinite speed is more than resistance to time stop.

And i do not rly agree with ability on the person itself. I think unless there is more proof that a character is infinite then it should be treated like this:

"The void IS timeless (ofc if we know for a fact that it is), though it doesn't prevent people from moving."

Again my fav case is UQ Holder!. It was a true timeless and immesurable void though it didn't prevent ppl from moving in it. It just prevents time from moving outside of it. So to put this more simply "everyone who is in that void gets infinite speed, for as long as they are in that void". It's a trait the void has i don't see why it has to be treated always as an ability of the character.

What if a character crosses a Void of Infinite Space and Nothingness, in less than a second or a few moments.

That should qualify as an infinite speed feat, far more than just moving in a timeless void.

InfiniteBlack123 said:
What if a character crosses a Void of Infinite Space and Nothingness
Many Solution:

• 1- Outlier
  • 2- Not Enough for Infinite speed (More Infos are necessary)
  • 3- If i understand correctly, the character crossed an infinite Distance? so it's infinite

@Dark not what i was going for. Just "can move in timeless voids", not resistance to time stop

I'm not saying we should get rid of infinite speed as a rating, just that we shouldn't assume every person who moves in a timeless void is doing so by sheer speed

In the case of an outlier what if it was a very casual feat for a very hight tier like one who isn't getting surpassed anytime soon.

Case 2 is less likely to grant Infinite Speed imo, timelessness is a pretty strange concept in my opinion. It may or may not grant timestop always.

In case 3 though, that character is crossing any distance in zero time interval.They may not have crossed an Infinite distance.

There are normally two types of calculations in a involved in Infinite Speed calculation.

Infinite Speed created from crossing a stated infinite distance, at any time interval.

Or

Infinite Speed created from crossing any distance at zero time interval. This is something many fictional Universes use. This may even fall under case 2 of timelessness.

The concept of a void is detrimental to understanding what can cause Infinite Speed calculations to occure.

To be honest all 3 types of voids can classify of as having Infinite Space.

Monarch Laciel said:
@Dark not what i was going for. Just "can move in timeless voids", not resistance to time stop
I'm not saying we should get rid of infinite speed as a rating, just that we shouldn't assume every person who moves in a timeless void is doing so by sheer speed
^^^^^

I can agree with that. To move in a timeless void gives u nothing, it's just a trait the void has that doesn't stop your ability to move. We can either treat it like that or as an ability on the character, personally i prefer the first version.

Matthew Schroeder said:
What is even happening here.
The usual when we don't keep these types of discussions staff only.

Anyway, is anybody making progress with writing the "timeless voids" explanation page?

Monarch Laciel said:

I agree with this, just moving in a timeless void shouldn't give Infinite Speed, but what is some one can localize a void or space around himself to move at potentially Infinite Speed.

This argument itself isn't really special.

Consider normal real life physics of objects preceiving a slower reality the faster on goes and at lightspeed time is supposed to stop. This means at only just lightspeed characters in fiction, can move any distance at zero time interval. Meaning that at just lightspeed character by the laws of simple relativistic physics can move at potentially Infinite Speed.

That wasn't really directed at you, but everyone in the thread, since we're progressing waaay too fast and it's becoming chaotic.

Okay, in that case I keep telling the rest of you that it is much easier to keep these standards revision threads focused on track if they are staff only.

I think that just calling the page "Timeless Voids" or "Timeless Voids Standards" should hopefully be fine.

Maybe "Timeless Voids and Infinite Speed" or something similar would work as well?

In any case, thank you for writing a draft version. It seems good to me, but it is probably best to wait for more input.

I would like an explanation for why my idea to have voids have a trait of "infinity for as long as you are in the void, unless further proof is provided" is not acceptable. I think considering every timeless void feat as infinite is wrong due to proof from other verses.

Firephoenixearl said:
I would like an explanation for why my idea to have voids have a trait of "infinity for as long as you are in the void, unless further proof is provided" is not acceptable. I think considering every timeless void feat as infinite is wrong due to proof from other verses.
Every Timeless Void isn't Infinite speed (Type 3 is infinite)

DodoNova2 said:
Every Timeless Void isn't Infinite speed (Type 3 is infinite)
Im talking about every type 3 void. I mean not every true timeless void should be considered infinite. Other verses have broken this rule so i think more proof is needed, even if it's something like "only this character can move in that place".

Can the regular members please let the staff try to sort out this matter? Thank you.

It would be appreciated if somebody could ask Assaltwaffle, Sera Loveheart and Matthew Schroeder to help evaluate the blog. Thank you.

Yes, it seems like Matthew and Assaltwaffle are fine with this, and I also think that it seems good. However, Kepekley is waiting for a confirmation from DontTalkDT in a message wall thread, so perhaps we should wait for a final go-ahead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back