• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario Discussion Thread Part 3

Oh okay. Anyways, as I brought up in another thread, the Power Stars might grant Mind Hax resistance from these quotes: "To help him accomplish this, he plans to convert the residents of the painting world into monsters as well. If nothing is done, all those monsters will soon begin to overflow from inside the painting."

"Princess Toadstool and Toad are missing, too. Bowser must have taken them and sealed them inside the painting. Unless Mario recovers the Power Stars immediately, the inhabitants of this world will become Bowser's army."

"Being imprisoned in these walls can drive a fungus crazy. When I really start to freak out, I think to myself, "Well, I'm going to be here for a while, so I might as well stare at the fish. They are oddly hypnotic." Then I actually start to like being captured............Aaaguugh! IT'S MADNESS! I've got to snap out of this! You have to free us before we're all completely brainwashed! ...But for now, why don't you gaze at the fish with me. You look tense. Come relax."

Bolded is the more interesting part that implies the reistance given Mario has to collect and gather these Power Stars, which are noted as hidden and empowering many bosses and creatures, in order to stop that world from becoming fully subservient to Bowser. If accepted, the Grand Stars are more powerful than the Power Stars and as such would have more powerful resistances.

So would the mean the normal power stars having mind resistance and would that Imply to most mario characters or just the star children?since they are well known

Anyone who's used Power Stars or Grand Stars it would apply to. Base Star Children probably not.

This could also explain how the Odyssey bosses (except the Broodals) couldn't be controlled by Cappy, as they've all had Power Moons on them which we accept as equal to Power Stars as well.

Do the Pure Hearts have any passive resistances? I know they can withstand existence erasure on a universal scale but it left one petrified. But like, Power Stars/Moons and Grand Stars could have passive mind hax resistance if accepted, Crystal Stars have passive soul manip, sealing, and curse resistances from passively protecting the Four Heroes who previously had them until they hid the Stars away. You can also argue mind hax resistance because they could completely negate the Queen and the Four Heroes all grew evil when turned.

But the Pure Hearts... Do they have any passives?

I'd also like to point out that when Wiggler got the Power Star, he said he was feeling strange when he got it. Once taking it, he said he feels more peaceful.

The Crystal Stars get it from the Legends you can pay for from the guy on top of the upgrade house's roof in the east side of Rogueport.

I'll edit in the video if I can find it later.

Alright. Found it.

https://youtu.be/qkn-G6Uug9U

As you can see, they could resist the effects of the Shadow Queens's curse until they had parted with one of the Stars. Said curse involved sealing their souls in inescapable boxes, so this also might count as BFR. We also see that the Crustal Stars can seal and "hold the essence of the heavens". Shadow Queen also might have fear manip.

The Four Heroes could also get profiles if we really wanted. They have clear scaling and some abilities like possible clairvoyance/precog, an intelligence feat, and magical abilities at least for the Boo.

They passively granted the resistances to The Foure Heroes via being in their possession so seeing as how Mario possessed them, yeah.

I dunno what thus could be, but the Goomba thought of using the Crystal Stars to seal which wasn't their original purpose and they could empower mechs as well. The Ruby one IIRC is probably how Doopliss was able to curse the town into Pigs but I could be wrong and need to check up on that. And the Gold(?) one was used to suck power from people via machine and IIRC the mechs powered by them could suck the life out of the audience as well during their fights and the Shadow Queen, their creator, could do the same. So there's probably a lot yoi can gather in reference to their abilities. Overall they seem like the most hax collectables Mario has had.

Uh, why is the mario CRT linked? That thread isn't close to its post limit, and we have an actual Mario discussion thread. Did you mean to link to that?

No. I mean that they possessed the Crystal Stars which is what granted then passive resistances and Mario possessed the Crystal Stars, like physically, during the events of TTYD so he should get said resistances.

GyroNutz said:
Uh, why is the mario CRT linked? That thread isn't close to its post limit, and we have an actual Mario discussion thread. Did you mean to link to that?
I only did that sonwe can discuss things here since that is a CTR thread i wanted to make a discussion thread. I know it isnt finished but i wanted to be to talk about the stuff here. So whatever gets accepted we can move back to the CTR

It's better if you discuss stuff related to the CRT on the CRT, so people who evaluate the thread can see all the arguments put forward.

Tbf last time I added stuff to be discussed to a CRT there was a complaint that it wasn't in the OP and just too much cluttering so I wanted to not do that again.

As for Doopliss and Transmutation, when you finally get your body back (btw Mario could function fine with his entire identity, body and all, stolen and leaving him a shadow of his former self. Don't know what that could be but it seems like something), Doopliss drops the Ruby Star and Mario's body fades away, revealing Doopliss. Then, red sparkles surround Mario and give him his body and identity back. These same red sparkles glimmer off of the Crystal Star so you can make the argument Doopliss was using it to at least instill the body swapping or whatever you wanna call the thing he did, or at least give the Stars the ability to revert... whatever that was

No. The story said his body was stolen. It also says stuff about his identity being stolen. Shapeshifting is what Doopliss normally does, but this was like a body swap that he did, as he made you switch places (Doopliss was on the right, but during and after defeat Mario in the purple shadow body was where Doopliss was). Simple shapeshiftimg can't explain that.

I have no idea what it is. He clearly copies Mario, but he also seems to likely literally steal his body and identity, leaving Mario that purple void signifying his lack of identity. When talking to others I believe they even mention something like "Who are you?" and the pipe that required you to have your name written on something rejects Mario if he tries to go down it while in that state.

Actually, I think you still do have the Crystal Stars up to the Gold one as purple void Mario. I mistook his Party for the Crystal Stars screen lmao

That might possibly be Concept manip if he literally stole who Mario was as a being, or at least Info manip.

Hmm, that is weird.

I mean, tbf Doopliss could already seal away the letter "p" which seems kinda broken since in-verse this implies he made the letter "p" completely unable to be used when discussing his name, leading to Goombella having no idea what his name was and thus finding no records of this guy until after you literally find the letter. And literally sealing a letter on a keyboard you use to reply via RPG mechanics seems like some Sans or Monika shit going on.

I was just about to bring that up! Man, that's very likely Info manip or Text Manipulation. Now the question is, did Doopliss do this by himself? Or with the Ruby CS? And if the Ruby CS cured whatever happened to Mario, would that mean that Mario would gain a resistance to whatever happened to him when he has it in his inventory?

The Ruby Star's ability is called "Art Attack" and Doopliss still had the Ruby one om him the entire time until after his defeat. If you really wanna push it, Art Attack can refer to it's ability to "change the colors" of a person like what happened when Mario's identity was stolen. Plus, Doopliss couldn't replicate these abilities at all at a later time and could only perform normal Duplighost shapeshifting when fought with the Shad Sirens. There's potential there, I guess.

But yeah, it was def the Ruby Star that reverted Mario after Doopliss lost possession of it.

Him removing the number P is obviously a form of Text Manipulation

Problem with Information Manipulation, all he did was take the physical body of Mario and put it into his. Mario was still Mario. Although, Wasn't Mario unable to say his name properly to Vivian, maybe that could work

Mario was unable to say his name properly. But it was only Mario who was effected. Like I said, it was kinda like a body swap but not completely since Mario was put in Doopliss's situation prior, except the twist is that everyone now knows Mario's name, but the true Mario himself is a disembodied void incapable of saying his own name, since others like Vivian and Goombella could say his name, except his name now belonged to another so it couldn't revert Mario back. It's like every aspect of Mario's identity belonged to a different body and the Mario that we know wasn't actually "Mario" as even his name was taken

He's pretty cool.

For me, while Chapter 4 is really cool and I like what they did there, imo Chapter 3 was the most fun.

Anyways, so I guess we just have to ask an expert wether they think what Doopliss did counts as Info manip or concept manip, although he definitely has Text manip with the stuff involving the p.

Back