• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Minor God of War Removal II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deagonx

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
ird4pu2fm8s21.jpg

Under the "Powers of the Fates" section on this page the Fates have these three abilities:
Waking someone up, even if it is indirectly, is not sufficient for "sleep manipulation" in my opinion. I can also wake people up. Moreover, physically interacting with a thread of life has an effect on that individual even when it is not the Fates doing it, so that seems especially specious. If people are absolutely dead set on indexing this as "sleep manipulation" at a bare minimum a "Limited" needs to be added, but again, this is a very far fetched interpretation of what is occurring.
I am willing to buy that they caused the eruption (although it stops short of actually saying that) but nothing here describes them "controlling the lava flow." I am of the opinion that "causing a volcanic eruption" is a bit of a stretch for Magma Manip. My preference would be to remove it entirely, but "Limited Magna Manip" I suppose is also acceptable if folks really care that much about them keeping this. In any case, the phrase "and its lava flow" would need to be removed, because nothing in the scan says that. "via the Threads that they themselves weave" should also likely be removed, the only reference to threads in this case is making sure people die at the right time when they get encased in lava.
Two scans here, two problems. The first scan does not describe Atropos doing this "because she could." Rather, when Clotho sneers at Atropos using war in a mortal's fate, Atropos responds "I sunk a whole continent this way" which means she used war to sink the continent. Clotho responds that Atlantis wasn't worth her effort.
The meaning of the text is clear, Atropos used war to sink a continent. This refers to the original Greek myth in which Plato wrote that after a failed attempt at invading Athens, Atlantis was sunk by the Gods. This is not the canon fate of Atlantis in GoW, but the text-as-written makes any other interpretation impossible, even if it is not canonical to GoW. In any case, that is not evidence of "Earth Manipulation" as there are many other ways to cause something to sink.

The second scan says that Lakhesis "eliminates continents." We could interpret this as her literally destroying a land mass the size of a continent, that seems perhaps unlikely in context but that's sort of a moot point. You don't need to use Earth Manipulation to destroy a continent. In fact, most of the time if someone is destroying a continent they are just using attack power or something.

Last edited:
Im mainly here to watch the crapshow, but yeah, agreed with the first two as well. gotta look at the third one some more

Removing Earth Manipulation is fine. As for the others, I'd go with Limited Magma Manipulation and I'm pretty torn on Sleep Manipulation. It depends on the context of the one being woken up in question. Namely, are they just naturally asleep, or were they put to sleep via supernatural means?

Yeah looking at the third one, literally anything with a good enough amount of AP can just casually sink North America for the luls
When the time comes, the FRA train will chug down the tracks and sound its mighty horn

I'm surprised that's the controversial one. I'm just not sure how you get Earth Manip out of it. You can destroy continents with AP.
Neutral cuz didn't read gow 2 novel fully so it doesn't feel right for me to comment on that one since it regards canon stuff (it's Just personally tho)

Does the magma and earth manip involve their use of the strings?
My understanding is that everything they do involves the strings, but the strings represent the lives of people/beings. I have not seen scans that directly describe them influencing the environment through the strings, and conceptually that would be strange (but not the strangest thing that could be done). For instance, it never directly says Atropos caused the eruption, but it does talk about deciding the "fate" of the volcano which seems like they can, maybe? It's vague.

All of the other scans on that page (aside from stuff like their energy blasts) directly pertains to how they affect people's lives with threads. Thematically that's more consistent, so in the absence of more direct evidence I am inclined to thing that everything they say should be understood in that light. So something like "eliminate continents" would more likely refer to wiping out a population through war or disease, something along those lines.

Under the "Powers of the Fates" section on this page the Fates have these three abilities:
Waking someone up, even if it is indirectly, is not sufficient for "sleep manipulation" in my opinion. I can also wake people up. Moreover, physically interacting with a thread of life has an effect on that individual even when it is not the Fates doing it, so that seems especially specious. If people are absolutely dead set on indexing this as "sleep manipulation" at a bare minimum a "Limited" needs to be added, but again, this is a very far fetched interpretation of what is occurring.
fair
Magma Manipulation (The Sisters of Fate are Able to control the eruption of a volcano and its lava flow via the Threads that they themselves weave[82])
I am willing to buy that they caused the eruption (although it stops short of actually saying that) but nothing here describes them "controlling the lava flow." I am of the opinion that "causing a volcanic eruption" is a bit of a stretch for Magma Manip. My preference would be to remove it entirely, but "Limited Magna Manip" I suppose is also acceptable if folks really care that much about them keeping this. In any case, the phrase "and its lava flow" would need to be removed, because nothing in the scan says that. "via the Threads that they themselves weave" should also likely be removed, the only reference to threads in this case is making sure people die at the right time when they get encased in lava.
also fair.
Earth Manipulation (The Sisters of Fate sunk a continent just because they could,[85] stating yet again that they eliminate continents as part of their job[90])
Two scans here, two problems. The first scan does not describe Atropos doing this "because she could." Rather, when Clotho sneers at Atropos using war in a mortal's fate, Atropos responds "I sunk a whole continent this way" which means she used war to sink the continent. Clotho responds that Atlantis wasn't worth her effort.
The meaning of the text is clear, Atropos used war to sink a continent. This refers to the original Greek myth in which Plato wrote that after a failed attempt at invading Athens, Atlantis was sunk by the Gods. This is not the canon fate of Atlantis in GoW, but the text-as-written makes any other interpretation impossible, even if it is not canonical to GoW. In any case, that is not evidence of "Earth Manipulation" as there are many other ways to cause something to sink.
also fine with this.

yeah, I pretty much agree with everything. I do think the part about Atlantis is a bit weird, but it doesn't really matter in the long run.

My understanding is that everything they do involves the strings, but the strings represent the lives of people/beings. I have not seen scans that directly describe them influencing the environment through the strings, and conceptually that would be strange (but not the strangest thing that could be done). For instance, it never directly says Atropos caused the eruption, but it does talk about deciding the "fate" of the volcano which seems like they can, maybe? It's vague.

All of the other scans on that page (aside from stuff like their energy blasts) directly pertains to how they affect people's lives with threads. Thematically that's more consistent, so in the absence of more direct evidence I am inclined to thing that everything they say should be understood in that light. So something like "eliminate continents" would more likely refer to wiping out a population through war or disease, something along those lines.
Unless the changes they can make are shown to be instantaneous and not from a change to cause and effect, I would remove them.

I'm pretty torn on earth manipulation, the first scan can go tho. The second does offer a way for it to stay tho. So, to go over it,

While it's true the sisters of fate can destroy continents via AP, the problem with this is context.

The sisters don't leave the island of creation, in essentially ever. It's pretty rare for them to even communicate with the outside world, even with projections. They mostly govern destiny and never leave.

I guess what im trying to say is, they can't destroy continents because they don't leave their island to do so, So a more plausible way is through their threads.

OFC, this can be sloved by range, albeit their range is from their threads, which don't exactly have AP.

I think a possibly is a good comprise.

Last edited:
@Firestorm808 they’ve had instantaneous effects before with how they can control or manipulate life with their strings. They even comment on how just merely flicking Kratos’ string should instantly cripple the dude though due to him being able to fight off the Fate’s powers, it doesn’t really do much.

Overall neutral on the abilities, will wait for the supporters to give their input.

ird4pu2fm8s21.jpg

The second scan says that Lakhesis "eliminates continents." We could interpret this as her literally destroying a land mass the size of a continent, that seems perhaps unlikely in context but that's sort of a moot point. You don't need to use Earth Manipulation to destroy a continent. In fact, most of the time if someone is destroying a continent they are just using attack power or something.
man

I'll get to it.

Considering what the Threads can do to people, it seems like waking them up is pretty minor. They can kill people and mangle them by messing with the Threads. Inflicting something nasty on them is bound to wake them up. How many people could sleep through a kick in the stomach, and the Threads can inflict way worse than that.
Hmm... If they can cause magma to flare up by messing with their Threads, manipulating magma might be an option here, especially if they also control the flow of it. Although it sounds like it could be done with fate manipulation.

I can see why people want more context here. If what happened was that she played with the Threads and then a continent sank I could see how earth manipulation could apply, although it does seem somewhat redundant when fate manipulation is already a catch-all for that stuff.

Last edited:
on another unrelated note, the scan links are broken right now for some reason
Because they're using static and not vignette.

@Mad_Dog_of_Fujiwara @DarkGrath @Mr. Bambu @Damage3245 @CrimsonStarFallen @Ultima_Reality @Firestorm808 @Planck69 @Theglassman12 @DarkDragonMedeus

For those not interested in participating, feel free to ignore the ping. This ought to be a fairly straightforward CRT.
Could you fix this, when you get the chance?

Seems to be similar to before, where applying fate manipulation in certain ways gets similar results to other powers. I personally do not like doing that, although Earth Manipulation should be removed regardless. Even if you took it literally, it's just AP.
I was iffy on the third one but, yeah. It would just be AP, I hadn't even considered that for some reason.

I agree with the removals.

Well, now that the first wave of FRA train is over (I presume the rest are in reserve as backup?) and this CRT can be passed without any issue and the OP can finally sleep at ease, we can get to discussing about the topic.
I just have a very specific question.
Saying any other interpretation is impossible is quite a strong take and requires a lot of evidence to back up such a claim.
As you have stated it yourself your interpretation(which relies on Greek myth) is not the canonical fate of Atlantis in GoW, then can you elaborate and prove without any reasonable doubt that the text is referencing the Greek Myths instead of the canonical events of GoW?

Last edited:
Well, now that the first wave of FRA train is over (I presume the rest are in reserve as backup?) and this CRT can be passed without any issue and the OP can finally sleep at ease, we can get to discussing about the topic.

Saying any other interpretation is impossible is quite a strong take and requires a lot of evidence to back up such a claim.
As you have stated it yourself your interpretation(which relies on Greek myth) is not the canonical fate of Atlantis in GoW, then can you elaborate and prove without any reasonable doubt that the text is referencing the Greek Myths instead of the canonical events of GoW?
I have 87 burner accounts prepared to FRA train all of my CRTs, yes.

also its hard to dismiss everything as an FRA train when it is just people agreeing after they were pinged on the subject before, like the staff participation in this thread is well above the average for just typing "I agree" and never returning, c'mon man- forge a better conspiracy

You haven't expressed any actual objections to the conclusions in the proposal, so I can only assume you agree that these abilities did not have sufficient justification, otherwise you'd have said so. Why are you making snide accusations about the intregrity of these staff members who literally voted on the thread before this, for reaching a conclusion that you seem to share? That seems rather silly.

Sure. This is the relevant exchange, line by line for clarity:

Atropos: "I am concentrating on an important mortal. He wiggles about but has no hope of evading the fate I have in store for him."
Clotho: "Not another one of those tedious diseases you are so fond of?"
Atropos: "War. I have found a new path to destruction that is fitting for this character."
Clotho: looks at the thread and sniffs in contempt
Atropos: "What? You do not think well of my work this time? I sank an entire continent this way."
Clotho: "Atlantis was hardly worth your effort."

This conversation, when viewed as Atropos saying "I sank Atlantis using war" makes perfect sense. She is defending her use of war by referencing a past achievement achieved through the same method: sinking a continent. Clotho rebukes this defense by saying this past achievement, "Atlantis," was not worth the effort. Very logical.

Other interpretations, contrarily, would constitute an entirely nonsensical conversation. When Clotho disapproves of Atropos' plan to use war, Atropos brings up an unrelated past event (why?) and says she sank a continent "this way" (what way?) and then, for seemingly no reason at all, Clotho ignores this rebuke and then randomly criticizes another, separate past event. The dialogue does not flow whatsoever.

Further, in order to maintain our stance that these three events are completely disjointed (so that the "continent sinking" needn't be affixed to the use of war, and "Atlantis" needn't refer to the sinking continent), we would have to believe that it is a mere coincidence that A) Clotho randomly brings up a sunken Atlantis, in response to the unrelated "sunken continent" Atropos mentions, and B) Atropos' claim directly reflects the original myth. That is why any other interpretation is impossible.

I want to make it clear, this isn't complicated. This shouldn't be seen as some high-level literary analysis through which I am proving a point, that I am unveiling a hidden truth about the passage. This is, on the contrary, just the very plain smack-in-the-face obvious meaning of the text as-written, and the alternative interpretations are so blatantly wrong that it crosses into the territory of "willful ignorance." A nonsensical reading of a very simple conversation, defended solely because this interpretation has utility in a battleboarding debate despite being obvious bullshit.

Hopefully that clears things up.

You haven't expressed any actual objections to the conclusions in the proposal, so I can only assume you agree that these abilities did not have sufficient justification, otherwise you'd have said so. Why are you making snide accusations about the intregrity of these staff members who literally voted on the thread before this, for reaching a conclusion that you seem to share? That seems rather silly.

Atropos: "I am concentrating on an important mortal. He wiggles about but has no hope of evading the fate I have in store for him."
Atropos: "War. I have found a new path to destruction that is fitting for this character."
Atropos: "What? You do not think well of my work this time? I sank an entire continent this way."

This conversation, when viewed as Atropos saying "I sank Atlantis using war" makes perfect sense. She is defending her use of war by referencing a past achievement achieved through the same method: sinking a continent. Clotho rebukes this defense by saying this past achievement, "Atlantis," was not worth the effort. Very logical.

Other interpretations, contrarily, would constitute an entirely nonsensical conversation. When Clotho disapproves of Atropos' plan to use war, Atropos brings up an unrelated past event (why?) and says she sank a continent "this way" (what way?) and then, for seemingly no reason at all, Clotho ignores this rebuke and then randomly criticizes another, separate past event. The dialogue does not flow whatsoever.

Further, in order to maintain our stance that these three events are completely disjointed (so that the "continent sinking" needn't be affixed to the use of war, and "Atlantis" needn't refer to the sinking continent), we would have to believe that it is a mere coincidence that A) Clotho randomly brings up a sunken Atlantis, in response to the unrelated "sunken continent" Atropos mentions, and B) Atropos' claim directly reflects the original myth. That is why any other interpretation is impossible.

I want to make it clear, this isn't complicated. This shouldn't be seen as some high-level literary analysis through which I am proving a point, that I am unveiling a hidden truth about the passage. This is, on the contrary, just the very plain smack-in-the-face obvious meaning of the text as-written, and the alternative interpretations are so blatantly wrong that it crosses into the territory of "willful ignorance." A nonsensical reading of a very simple conversation, defended solely because this interpretation has utility in a battleboarding debate despite being obvious bullshit.

Hopefully that clears things up.
This isn't line by line, you missed one.

Clotho: looks and sniffs in contempt

Atropos: "Plucked the thread and sent ripples down it. What? You do not think well of my work this time, Clotho? I sunk an entire continent this way!"

You missed one. To be honest, Atropos could be simply saying that the way she plucked the thread lead to a continent sink, as Atropos is very impulsive and unpredictable.

Can I also say that mortals sinking a continent by war is just insane?

Atropos: "Plucked the thread and sent ripples down it. What? You do not think well of my work this time, Clotho? I sunk an entire continent this way!"

You missed one. To be honest, Atropos could be simply saying that the way she plucked the thread lead to a continent sink, as Atropos is very impulsive and unpredictable.

Kratos was a member of the mortal armies (that is, the Spartans) before his pact with Ares. In the setting of God of War, it really isn't insane, especially not when further backed along by Fate.

Kratos was a member of the mortal armies (that is, the Spartans) before his pact with Ares. In the setting of God of War, it really isn't insane, especially not when further backed along by Fate.
Kratos at the time wasn't even 4A.

And most mortals don't have some bs magical enhances as well as being half God.

Sure, they're above our regular mortals, but sinking a continent is entirely out of their league.

Kratos at the time wasn't even 4A.

And most mortals don't have some bs magical enhances as well as being half God.

Sure, they're above our regular mortals, but sinking a continent is entirely out of their league.
None of these are really the point I'm making.
  • There is precedent for demigods and their ilk being involved with mortal armies.
  • Fate assisting in creating the circumstances for sinking an undefined-sized continent makes it much more plausible.
You wouldn't need to be 4-A to sink a single continent, nor would your entire force need to be magically enhanced/a demigod. These were not claimed. I object to the notion that it's unrealistic: the fictional contexts we're dealing in make it realistic.

It's disheartening that you, and apparently @KLOL506 and @Tanin_iver believe that this constitutes justification for an alternative interpretation, or that this resolves the issues I pointed out. That line very clearly is nothing more than providing visualization of Atropos at work amidst the conversation. The conversation involves a logical series of reactions and rebuttals, in a way that directly recites the original myth of Atlantis. You are attempting to argue that the appearance of a logical exchange is a giant inexplicable cosmic coincidence but that the conversation is actually a disjointed series of out-of-context statements about entirely unrelated matters, one after the other.

"Clotho disapproves of using war with this man's fate, so Atropos just impulsively sinks a continent, and then Clotho randomly brings up Atlantis." Such a scenario is not even worth considering when "Clotho disapproves of using war, Atropos logically defends the method by referencing "sinking a continent this way" (sunk Atlantis with war), and Clotho logically rebukes that Atlantis (a continent that sank due to war) wasn't worth the effort." is an available alternative.

It's not a close call, an "agree to disagree" or a matter of opinion. It is merely a question of whether you understand the passage or do not understand it, or (alternatively) are willfully misunderstanding it to further an argument. There are plenty of situations in literature where the best interpretation is subjective, this is not such a case. The only two options are 1) Read the passage logically or 2) Read it illogically. For obvious reasons (2) is not rational.

That is literally what happened in Greek myth.

Last edited:
You haven't expressed any actual objections to the conclusions in the proposal, so I can only assume you agree that these abilities did not have sufficient justification, otherwise you'd have said so.
I don't really have to. This is merely a discussion of how we index said feats and whether said feats qualify to be indexed as standalone abilities or not and are notable enough. It doesn't take away from the fact that they really did wake people up from sleep, make volcanoes erupt and sink continents, although all of these are by proxy of their Fate Manip based on weaving the threads. So I am fine even if you completely remove these nothing-burgers.
Why are you making snide accusations about the intregrity of these staff members who literally voted on the thread before this, for reaching a conclusion that you seem to share? That seems rather silly.
I find it rather amusing you are accusing me of questioning the integrity of the staff while at the same time kudosing the comment above which makes the same FRA train joke. I don't even understand why did you take that comment seriously, its just a joke, like the ones above. Its just funny that it did turn out like that if we look at the timing of the posts, but I am honestly not accusing anybody here.

Atropos: "Plucked the thread and sent ripples down it.* What? You do not think well of my work this time? I sank an entire continent this way."

I want to make it clear, this isn't complicated. This shouldn't be seen as some high-level literary analysis through which I am proving a point, that I am unveiling a hidden truth about the passage. This is, on the contrary, just the very plain smack-in-the-face obvious meaning of the text as-written, and the alternative interpretations are so blatantly wrong that it crosses into the territory of "willful ignorance."
This seems like a whole lot of fluff and condescension about my question, given that it ultimately doesn't address the fact that not only does the novel automatically assign blame to Kratos for sinking Atlantis in the first chapter but even assuming that the author somehow forgot about the game he is referencing less than 4 chapters before this, the whole part is discardable given it would become a contradictory piece of secondary canon.

Arguing how other interpretations are nonsensical veers around the fact that this is ultimately something that does not happen within the main canon of the series. I'm not going to argue whether the power should stay or not but shearing away all of the noise and this is all we are left with, a non-canon interpretation.

In short, the power can be discarded given that the actual event would be the Fates allowing Thera to escape and cause the sinking of Atlantis, not because of an odd insistence on an interpretation of the conversation that ultimately never happens in canon.

A nonsensical reading of a very simple conversation, defended solely because this interpretation has utility in a battleboarding debate despite being obvious bullshit.
Ironic that you are justifying literal head-canon that even you acknowledge is not accurate to the canon to remove nothing-burger abilities.

Also you didn't really have to delete the comment that was calling out the hypocrisy, but I guess its fine cos it isn't relevant to the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back