• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

More in-depth explanations for profile pages

Subpages seem like a very bad idea in my opinion. It'd be easier to simply have sufficiently large explanation sections on the Verse page, or Blog Posts.

I'm with Matt on this.

The extra pages would just feel like clutter when we could simply explain on the verse page. Adding additional subpages would just make navigation messy.

What about moving the explanation blog source texts to regular (not sub-) wiki pages, and then admin-locking them? I think that would be considerably more convenient in the long run for the future of this wiki.

Possibly.

I like Blog Posts cause they allow for comunication between the person making the Respect Thread / Explanations and the readers.

Yes, but we would not delete the blog posts, just copy the source code texts to regular pages.

We could let people who wish to create such information pages start by creating a blog post, and then when it is finished, and if it has been accepted by the staff, it can be copied to an official explanation page.

I feel like linking the blog posts is the best choice. As Matt said, it allows for easier communication between readers and the writer of the blog.

Yes, initially, but once said communication has been finished, and the blog accepted, it is likely much better for the wiki in the long run, if the contents are copied to admin-locked regular pages, so they can be improved upon if needed years down the line.

Well, other admins can edit and improve blog posts, so?

Well, I do not think that we should interfere with the blog posts of other users, as it is misleading if we add things that the original author did not write, and I would much prefer if we mimic the ACF's approach of making regular explanation pages. It seems much neater structured, and more official.

In addition, I am not sure if we can make blog posts accessible to edit for regular members who wish to help out by improving the text.

I think we should have both. Blogs can be a more casual thing that is expanded with time, and users can joke around and discuss, and Explanation Pages would be official and neaty looking.

So you would be okay with copying the contents of the best explanation blogs, once they have been finished?

So, this would actually be an extremely important gradual improvement to the wiki structure, but I am very tired, and need help to apply it.

Basically, what we first need to do is to copy the contents of our currently used official explanation blogs to separate regular pages, and update the URLs linking to them in the related verse pages.

We also need to add an "Explanations" section to our standard format pages to encourage our members to write more informative profiles for our visitors. The top example image would also need to be updated, as would our automatic standard layout when creating a new profile page in this wiki.

@Ant

So just to make things clear, I would copy-paste my blogs on Digimon and MapleStory to a separate page labeled "Digimon Explanation" and "MapleStory Explanation" and re-do the necessary URLs, right?

I'm just a tad worried given the fact that my Digimon blog is specifically tailored to the Royal Knights and my blogs are rather casual as a whole.

Hmm. Well you could be more specific, to allow for future explanation blogs regarding different aspects of a franchise. For example, you could call the Digimon blog, "Digimon: Royal Knights Explanation"

If you think that it is necessary, yes.

So, for instance, if we did this with Cthulhu Mythos, we would remove all the jokes, irrelevant parts and low-end explanations and copypaste all explanations on why the Outer Gods and the like are ranked at 1-A and above?

Just to see if I'm getting it right.

Well, more formal language wouldn't hurt, but othervise I suppose that it seems okay.

Remember to admin-lock the explanation pages afterwards.

Okay. So could anybody help out by making a list of the explanation blogs that we currently use/link to in our verse pages?

I think that Matthew wrote a Saint Seiya blog as well.

I do not think that we can easily turn a content revision thread into an explanation page.

Perhaps more in-depth explanation blog for various series should be made? I was planning to do a Naruto and Akame Ga Kill some time in the future, as questions about their tiering tend to pop up a lot in the Content Revision threads, especially the former series.

Also, it states that Azzy's Cthulu Blog is a work in progress, so should that be left alone for now until Azzy actually finishes writing the blog?

I can ask him. He could continue to improve on the regular page instead othervise.

So, two main questions:

Do I take down the regular blog if I do this?

How much of the quotes and explanations are expected to be inserted into the profile? Because there is a lot.

You do not have to remove the regular blog.

Insert as much relevant information as you wish into the explanation page. Just try to make sure that it uses structured formal language.

I think that it seems good. Thank you for the help.

Perhaps we should lock the page in order to prevent vandalism messing up the important information?

@Ant: Btw, does the in-depth explanations always have to be in paragraph/essay format, or can there be bullet-points involved in it as well?

This is because I usually break down long paragraph segments into bullet points so it is easier for other people to read.

Back