• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

More in-depth explanations for profile pages

Bullet points should probably be fine. I would just prefer if official explanation pages do not seem to hold a casual conversation with the reader.

Also, after moving the text of an explanation blog to a regular wiki page, please remember to update the URL linking to it in the related verse page. Thank you.

It seems like we currently have no standard format for verse pages.

Would anybody be willing to help out by writing one (patterned after the structures that we tend to use)?

I think it should start with a picture of the Verse, hopefully a large wallper.

After that should come the Summary, explaining what the Verse is about, it's characters, plot, etc. Hopefully not too long.

Then the Power of the Verse section, where one will list how strong the characters are in general, and what sort of abilities they hold.

If necessary, an Explanation section comes afterward, being more in-depth than the Power section before. Explanations of a Verse's Cosmology for series with high-end beings would always be good, too.

Then Supporters and Opponents, and then Character profiles, hopefully subdivided into factions and whatnot.

That seems fine to me. Does anybody else know of some other section to add to the page?

Perhaps you could revise the blog structure based on Matthew's suggestions? Then, when it is good enough, we can move the contents to a regular page.

The verse page blog has been updated according to Matt's suggestions, but Matt should give input in the blog just to be sure.

Instead of two sections: "Scaling Explanation (Optional)", and "Further Information (Optional)", there should probably only be a single section named "Explanations (Optional)".

"Explanations (Optional)" sounds good. Will be adding that in now.

Also, how large should the verse wallpaper be in width? Normally the pictures that are centered (as some profiles do have these), are around 600px to 700px in width.

I usually use 660px, and the "center" alignment.

You still need to clean up the grammar/sentence structures a bit, and make the language more formal, so it does not use personal pronouns, but when that has been done, you can move the contents into a regular information page. I can try to check it over afterwards.

Now these things may have already been brought up( Kinda just skimmed through this.) so bare with me.

I would like to add that some incomplete profiles were made just to have the file ready to update once a game or such is released. Tthe prime example are the Pokemon Sun and Moon Pokemon files as the games do not release til Nov 18. So we may have to think about why these files are made before hand before we take action. Possibly messaging the creator of the file(If they are active.)

Now files with simply via powerscaling to *Insert Character name here*. Seem to be fine if the verse lacks feats for all characters despite all of them realistically being around the same level. For example Fighting Game Franchises, or certain Shonen Characters such as DBZ Androids, DBS Goku Black and Zamasu and the Royal Knights to an extent.(Although they are more justified.)

Finally as a recommendation from FC/OC wikia for Tier 1 files we may require a byte requirement? As well as more detail than normal considering the natures of Tier 1 characters. Although this may be hard to do since we have tons of Tier 1 characters. But just a suggestion.

Well, I agree that incomplete profiles based on yet to be released games might have to be deleted.

I also do not think that we can make in-depth explanations into a requirement yet, just encourage people to gradually do so. We cannot magically immediarely turn all of our higher-tier profiles more in-depth after all.

Yeah that would be unrealistic. But I wold say depending on the game's release date these incomplete files may be okay. These files are marked as stub and are incomplete, however a note is put at the bottom of the pages so that viewers will know that thbese pokemon aren't usable for debates as of the point in time.

I would personally prefer to avoid the creation of such profiles. They are completely unreliable.

I guess that is true. But I feel that since they are incomplete they could be fine. But I understand where you are coming from.

So, about the verse standard page...

Still currently trying to turn the wording more formal as well as fixing the grammar structure a bit, although Grammarly is not checking up too many issues.

Also, is the format for the Verse page fine as it is or do we need to wait for more thoughts?

Well, I think that it seems fine, and not many people seem interested in replying.

I can attempt to adjust the text of the page if you post it. Just inform me about it here.

Instead of using the term "assigned power level", perhaps you can change the term with "attack potency" instead, since that is the term we use to describe how strong a character is (here on the wiki).

So, the first sentence will be written as:

This section can be used to explain the reasons for the attack potency of a certain character more in-depth

Well, it is about their tiering, entire power structure, and nature of their abilities, so I think that just writing attack potency is somewhat misleading. It makes the reader think about the issue in the wrong way.

Yes. Thank you for the input.

Well, this took me some time to actually move myself to here. ^^;

Anyways looking at this for days from time to time, i can agree with the use of us actually being more detailed with the profiles here on the wikia. Though i kind of don't like it when we go overboard a bit, there are certain profiles here and there that have been pretty lacking on any explanations regarding things on their tier, stats, powers, and what else we generally have for them here as Reppuzan pointed it out a while back above.

Regarding the use of blogs as explanations for certain verses that are either lacking in explanations for stats or otherwise, i agree on them being made since you can put all of the details of them in just one if not more blogs in great detail rather than having to spend min's looking at each and every one to see the reasoning's of them.

And as noted from the others above earlier, it makes it easier for the author of the blog and the readers to communicate with one another besides from just having to go through their walls to talk about it (though it's not a bad idea if the person does not mind it).

The formats for both the verse page and character pages look fine enough to me. It;ll probably be confusing enough for me to get used to it on character pages here but i'll manage it later on.

Well, it is an optional section, and the changes will be very gradual, as people start to get used to the idea.

We have now appropriately updated the relevant standard format pages, and official wiki messages.

The only part remaining is to start moving the contents of the accepted explanation blogs into regular wiki pages, and to update the links in the related verse pages accordingly.

Would any administrator or content moderator be interested in helping out with this?

I wouldn't mind, but I'm going to swamped for the next few weeks with exams and essays, so I'll have to hold things off until then.

Back