• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My adventures with Superman general discussion thread

Nothing crazy just a little bit of a filler episode?
I wouldn't call this a filler episode, Supes eventually gets kidnapped by someone who seems to be Lois's dad after all that fighting from all those escaped prisoners who wanted revenge onto him for defeating them from the previous episodes. And the fight scene was pretty crazy, and not to mention, the people of Metropolis now turned against Superman and Vickie Vale made it even worse

Just watched Episode 8. One of my favorites thus far for sure. I think it has had the best character writing in the show that we've seen. Seeing all of the previous villains besides Mxy coming back to team-up on Superman was cool, and it was also fun to see how much stronger Superman has already gotten despite just barely being into his superhero phase. Seeing as how he struggled to fight these opponents even one on one formerly (besides the trio, but same point), whereas now he can take on just about all of them at once and almost win. The choreography was solid, too.

Only criticism I could say I'd give is that there were some things that felt a bit forced to the point that I find it rather absurd. So like, after presumably a fairly long while of helping Metropolis and keeping the citizens safe, literally saving hundreds-thousands of people directly, up to millions in-directly via saving the entire city on one or two occasions I believe, as well as minimalizing property damage as much as possible, among other things, just stopping a garbage truck and causing a slight pile-up is enough to completely undo all of that good and make him seem like a maniacal superpowered villain in the eyes of almost the entire city, including people that he literally just helped. That does not at all come across as fluid and realistic or reasonable, that feels like a somewhat contrived way to make Superman now a bad guy in the public's eyes. Feel like the authors could have done better there. But I DO like the overall point of it they're trying to accomplish, and how they want it to tie in with Lois having second thoughts about her boyfriend because of what alternative versions of him have done. I just dislike the execution of it, a lot.

And while I get that it's mostly for comedic effect, Jimmy going from like, 500 followers iirc to a million followers in the span of a few hours is a REALLY big stretch. Irl, realistically he might go up a few tens of thousands at best in that time span, would take over a week minimum to reach millions. Small nitpick but I thought it was a tad bit much.

But those minor critiques aside, the animation was solid, the character writing was great, the voice acting was top tier, the twists were cool, and it was good build-up for the finale. I'm presuming this will be a 10 episode season since this seems to be nearing the climax, and at that, it was the first "To Be Continued" in the show. Not to mention, seasons of animated TV shows have generally been averaging around 10 or less episodes in recent years. Hell, Invincible was the most recent animated hit and it only had 8 episodes in season 1. It seems to be a trend.

I'm honestly hoping that this becomes a more wide DC universe expansion tbh. Like, the next show could be about Batman or Wonder Woman, a season dedicated to all of the the big-name Justice League members, and has a movie that introduces them to each other in-universe to form the Justice League. Kind of like how the MCU formed the Avengers, but just kind of better. Very unrealistic, not to mention Batman has already had multiple animated series I think, and to top it all off this show is also very much about Lois Lane equally to Superman, but a cool idea, nonetheless.

Last edited:
Oh another critique of sorts is that, tbh, I feel like Slade just doesn't have a big enough role. Like, he was in this episode, but he didn't speak a single time and wasn't considered noteworthy even remotely. He's just treated as some random side villain that no one really cares about and I feel like it just ain't right for one of the OG Batman villains, and the main villain of the Teen Titan's (which, while this show is really good, is still perhaps my favorite American cartoon), no less. He has some pretty crazy feats too, like beating the majority of the Justice League solo, among other things. He's literally considered a Batman-level character and one of Batman's rivals of sorts, who is one of the Big 3 of the god damn Justice League itself and who has defeated godly opponents through his intellect.

Obviously this Slade is far from his prime, same goes for Superman, but I still feel like he should have a somewhat more noteable role. He already feels a little out of place in a Superman show, but making him almost irrelevant is too far.

Oh another critique of sorts is that, tbh, I feel like Slade just doesn't have a big enough role. Like, he was in this episode, but he didn't speak a single time and wasn't considered noteworthy even remotely. He's just treated as some random side villain that no one really cares about and I feel like it just ain't right for one of the OG Batman villains, and the main villain of the Teen Titan's (which, while this show is really good, is still perhaps my favorite American cartoon), no less. He has some pretty crazy feats too, like beating the majority of the Justice League solo, among other things.

Obviously this Slade is far from his prime, same goes for Superman, but I still feel like he should have a somewhat more noteable role. He already feels a little out of place in a Superman show, but making him almost irrelevant is too far.
Why would slade need to even be front and center in this episode, dude has been in like 3 episodes before this, one of which was already a major fight. Dude has definitely gotten plenty of respect but this wasn't HIS episode and besides batfamily characters and rogues already get enough wank and center stage shine as is, I'm glad he wasn't THE main focus on this one. Especially considering we already get his deal at this point and unlike the others he doesn't really have a need to actually personally hate Superman and want to go harder than the others who directly blame him for their situations. That's just my opinion tho

Why would slade need to even be front and center in this episode, dude has been in like 3 episodes before this, one of which was already a major fight. Dude has definitely gotten plenty of respect but this wasn't HIS episode and besides batfamily characters and rogues already get enough wank and center stage shine as is, I'm glad he wasn't THE main focus on this one. Especially consider we already get his deal at this point and unlike the others he doesn't really have aneed to actually personally hate Superman and want to go harder than the others who directly blame him for their situations. That's just my opinion tho
That's not what I said. Slade's role should be small in the show overall, including this episode and the next ones. But there's him being on the center stage, and then there's him being about as significant to the episode as that unnamed child that Superman helped find her parents. He is treated as significantly as random side villains from this show that, let's be honest, nobody is going to remember, not because they're bad, but because they're just not iconic. His impact should be moderate. Noted and memorable, but not significant by any means. I literally forgot he was even in this episode for a little while, and it took me an extra day to even realize that it was Slade in episode 1 helping Superman against Livewire. Because he just doesn't matter at all in this show. You could literally replace him with a character made specifically for this show, who doesn't exist in any other DC property, and it would be absolutely no different from Slade's inclusion. It feels completely random and unnecessary for such an overall huge DC villain to be here yet to be so worthless.

Again, let's not under-emphasize this, we're talking about a villain almost as iconic and important in DC as the Joker, being an extremely minor side character, so small, that he might as well be unnamed. That's not fitting. A villain of his popularity and nostalgia should be capable of making the audience surprised and excited at the mere presence of his name, in a spin-off show like this.

I'll just ask, what role did you want slade to play this episode

I'll just ask, what role did you want slade to play this episode
Non-existent. My point isn't his impact in specific, my point is that he was included yet was given an underwhelming amount of impact. You don't just bring in a big-name villain that people will remember from their childhoods and make him feel like a nobody. He deserves his own show about as much as a character like Martian Manhunter. That's how big he is.

His impact in the episode where he had a full on fight with Superman (episode 4 I want to say?) was proper for him, even if it hardly felt like it was Slade fighting. In this episode, he wasn't even as impactful as the big guy that punches things, whatever his name was. At that point, just don't even include him, it feels almost disrespectful to the character. Like, even if he's young and far before his prime/peak, we're still talking about Deathstroke here. I remember how badass, menacing, and genuinely disturbing he was/could be in Teen Titan's, then I look at this, and I'm just frankly disappointed. Despite the difference in power being incomprehensibly massive, his presence carried more weight than TRIGON'S, more often than not. Of course, this is a different show, and I'm not at all suggesting he should have that much importance in this Superman show, I'm saying that if you're GOING to include such an important villain that had an influence on a not insignificant portion of your audience's very childhoods, you don't just put him on the backline as an irrelevant useless side villain that no one talks or cares about.

It would be more appropriate if he literally didn't show up in this episode, rather appearing in the finale, or the penultimate episode perhaps, for one last significant fight with Superman, albeit much more in Superman's favor, before retreating, and maybe making one last appearance at some point in a side-scene away from Superman that would act as a sort of way to tie into how he becomes the villain we know him as later down the line, or something. And maybe we'll get that, but I just didn't like the way he was treated in this episode particularly.

I know how big these characters are my guy, make no mistake I'm very familiar with DC but like the case can be made with literally anyone in half of these shows. Hell the entire arrowverse was just a fest of OC versions of characters but was praised for years on end in its early and middle days, you may unironically just not like the show or are just driven by nostalgia because shit like this happens quite literally all the time not even just in the comics or shows, its the same for movies and games too. In my eyes this is a just weird hill to die on considering the nature of comic related media

I know how big these characters are my guy, make no mistake I'm very familiar with DC but like the case can be made with literally anyone in half of these shows. Hell the entire arrowverse was just a fest of OC versions of characters but was praised for years on end in its early and middle days, you may unironically just not like the show or are just driven by nostalgia because shit like this happens quite literally all the time not even just in the comics or shows, its the same for movies and games too. In my eyes this is a just weird hill to die on considering the nature of comic related media
I love this show. You're taking what I'm saying out of proportion, and seeming to not understand my point cause it sure ain't what you're talking about.

I love this show. You're taking what I'm saying out of proportion, and seeming to not understand my point cause it sure ain't what you're talking about.
Nah I entirely get it, my point however is, is that these complaints are something that can be made for a lot of different comic related media and that outside of this within the last decade of comic book content in movies and TV the same things they're doing in this show have been super prevalent throughout it all and has been praised as some of the best stuff ever.

Also do you really think my comment is at all blowing this out of proportion especially considering we're just talking normally. I'm not debating you here nor do I have any interest to but to me this personally just reads as one of those situations where this case can made for so so sooo much comic related media.

Say Slade in young justice dude is introducted as Sportsmaster's replacement in the light in season 2 but it honestly could've been filled by plenty other characters as he's nor pivotal nor notable enough to the story or the personal journey's that any of the characters go on through the course of the season to the point it could've either never had him exist yet or just wholly replaced him. Thing is slade was simply really cool in Young Justice and from the start was still at his core the same guy we knew, his presence commanded the situations he appeared in be taken seriously even though he isn't even a major player until season 3.

Me personally I feel like this is the same kinda cause but moreso than Slade the problem lies with this iteration of Superman's rogues +heatwave for some reason🤷 as you said just aren't notable enough to have carried this alone without him as they don't command that same presence to be taken seriously which just comes down to a fundamental flaw with the writing something we both agree on and like I said I get where you're coming from as there's another layer to this I haven't touched but for what it is and we got, I feel its fine enough for a new start that we haven't even got to see fully realized yet.

Anyways I hope I haven't like upset you or given off a foul impression

Nah I entirely get it, my point however is, is that these complaints are something that can be made for a lot of different comic related media and that outside of this within the last decade of comic book content in movies and TV the same things they're doing in this show have been super prevalent throughout it all and has been praised as some of the best stuff ever.

Also do you really think my comment is at all blowing this out of proportion especially considering we're just talking normally. I'm not debating you here nor do I have any interest to but to me this personally just reads as one of those situations where this case can made for so so sooo much comic related media.

Say Slade in young justice dude is introducted as Sportsmaster's replacement in the light in season 2 but it honestly could've been filled by plenty other characters as he's nor pivotal nor notable enough to the story or the personal journey's that any of the characters go on through the course of the season to the point it could've either never had him exist yet or just wholly replaced him. Thing is slade was simply really cool in Young Justice and from the start was still at his core the same guy we knew, his presence commanded the situations he appeared in be taken seriously even though he isn't even a major player until season 3.

Me personally I feel like this is the same kinda cause but moreso than Slade the problem lies with this iteration of Superman's rogues +heatwave for some reason🤷 as you said just aren't notable enough to have carried this alone without him as they don't command that same presence to be taken seriously which just comes down to a fundamental flaw with the writing something we both agree on and like I said I get where you're coming from as there's another layer to this I haven't touched but for what it is and we got, I feel its fine enough for a new start that we haven't even got to see fully realized yet.

Anyways I hope I haven't like upset you or given off a foul impression
What I'm saying is that my criticism is irrelevant to that. I'm not making a comment on DC comics as a whole and I don't see the relevance in what people think about other forms of media. I'm talking about Slade Wilson as a character in the DC franchise and how he has been written in this show. And it's not as common as you're saying. A character that is popular in one work appearing in another with less significance is common. But not to this extent, to where Slade/Deathstroke, an extremely popular DC character that is considered a borderline rival to one of the Justice League Big 3, is reduced to a near-irrelevant side character, about as impactful as random one-off side villains that probably won't even be seen again beyond this one season of this show, whose names I mostly can't even remember, tbh.

Maybe not in your intent, but some of your words are rather exaggerative which gives that impression, yes. Like calling this my hill to die on. It's not a grand perspective or anything remotely significant, it's just a small critique I have about a show I otherwise enjoy quite a lot. That's it.

Slade's role in Young Justice was a lot more fitting and proper, and he was written just generally better. Contrary to this show. My criticism lies within how Slade is being written, not that he's just here while not being the main villain in the process. Slade in this show very simply does not feel like Slade, not to me at least. And his design is also something I'm not crazy over, but it's better with him wearing the full armor. He feels like a villain that was made for this show that they just named Slade cause "why not".

I don't think much of it, I'm not saying it ruins anything, I don't really care about it. I was just saying it's a small critique I have with the show and decided to mention it. I agree with your point here though, but Slade is the worst of it.

No, I just felt that the way you worded things looked exaggerative of how I intended for my opinion to be interpreted.

Last edited:
But nothing concrete on that?
Kaiju Ivo is roughly the height of skyscrapers after absorbing enough energy, and Clark could take a punch, but afterwards, Kaiju Ivo was drained of energy when the people of Metropolis switched off their electrical devices and made him lose his source of energy (beautiful scene), but probably still stronger than non-Kaiju Ivo
Also did the general understand him somewhat?
He started to realise that Clark was innocent and wasn't even certain of his true self. There was some backstory of Zero Day and the general questioned why "Nemesis Omega" attacked and whether they were wrong

Also Slade loses his right eye this episode

Last edited:
Who was that one evil Kryptonian on Zero Day?

Well that's not exactly the point, he usually sends Superman to Earth to live his life because Krypton was dying

That was easily the peak of the series so far and makes me excited for the finale, especially cause this would have been satisfying as a finale on its own. Like, a lot of it was very predictable admittedly and not necessarily shocking, but predictability doesn't inherently and always mean bad. I'd prefer it over the show trying too hard to do something new and just being worse than it could have been.

And uh, I don't talk about it much because it's just not a pleasant subject of discussion to me, but this episode really nails in the fact that it really isn't some "Woke propaganda MSHEU" show that a lot of people have been calling it. I never felt that way from it since episode 1 and this episode completely solidifies that it isn't the case. This is just a good slice-of-life romance show with some good action every now and then, and loves to pay homages to the source material rather than insulting and mocking the source material, that's it, no agenda's to be found here. Hopefully people stop acting that way just because Lois is a hot dark-skinned and more independent tomboy now lol.

Guess with some new additions from missed episodes and calculable feats in them, a profile can finally be published in a few days or lolonger.
Definitely a little longer, I'm moving today and my new internet modem won't be here until tuesday and ofc I still am working as well so I'll it'll probably be another week or so before I can finish it all up

Back