• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

ZS7dZ2C.png
Actually, I got it from reading the manga...

Cmon man, he was just stating his opinion not even arguing it as fact 😕
He was the one who said people were blowing things out of proportion about a character, lol.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't give you an excuse to rub it in everybody's face and act as if people are wrong in explaining why a character is good.

I'd honestly argue that having an opinion doesn't mean you can ignore the facts either. Someone could say that, "Well, I think Deku is a trash character" and many people would be quick to point out why that's objectively incorrect... because it is. It's happened in the past, and no one has batted an eye.

Well yeah, Hori's leaking ear fluids could stain a page with black spots and Earthy would call that "Hori's cooking!!!"
Because nearly everything that he's written for the past year has been really good.

Honestly, I could say the same thing about everyone here. Any time that Hori writes something, there are always people here getting on his ass. Why am I in the wrong for believing that this arc is written excellently? Horikoshi could write the most fire and well-written storyline and MF's here would still be like, "he didn't give enough screentime for X this character." Complaining for the sake of complaining.

Why am I in the wrong for believing that this arc is written excellently?
Slow down a minute.
Like, you're not in the wrong.
In fact, nobody in this thread are in the wrong for sharing their opinions.
Also, the arc being written excellently is like, just your opinion too.

But notice that it's mostly you being confrontational with regards to this, and as far as I can recall, that's been your conduct since forever.
This is the first time I've criticized this, though in a joking manner because arguing about the manga's quality isn't really wrong in of itself.

Just don't try to paint yourself as a victim here. Nobody is.

Also, the arc being written excellently is like, just your opinion too.
I'd beg to differ.

Because notice how whenever someone criticized Deku's character, people where always quick to jump on them... because everyone knew they were talking out of their asses.

If everything was subjective in media analysis, there would be no such thing as 'good writing.' Nor would be there be 'bad writing.' There are things which make a good story line good, and things that make a bad storyline bad. It's not as gray as you think it is.

For example; if Horikoshi decided to kill off all of the character's next chapter, thereby ending the series, that wouldn't be a good ending, because that would be leaving so many plotlines untied. Consequently, making everything that's been written and built up for the past nine years rendered pointless.

Lots of things click with this current arc, and it's not just subjective.

The way that Horikoshi handled Endeavor's character meshes well with what was already established. Therefore, you can conclude that it is well-written. Same with Shoji too, since that actually shed light on a core problem with how the villains, and consequently, the heteromorphs, viewed themselves and society.

I could also bring up Deku's interactions with Shigaraki too, but that's a completely different topic.

But notice that it's mostly you being confrontational with regards to this, and as far as I can recall, that's been your conduct since forever.
That's how everyone acts around here, lol

You're acting as if I'm the only person here that's seriously arguing about the writing of the manga, from an objective standpoint. Everyone here, at a certain point, has done that. Hell, I'd go as far as saying that it's normal, and to be expected of.

People have written ESSAYS here talking about why X this scene is so good. And that's accepted because they always explain their viewpoint with good evidence and reasoning.

Unironically, the way this started was me joking about how someone's opinion was like a typical anime-tubers, which devolved into you talking about how I'd think that anything Horikoshi writes is good, even if it's shit as if I'm some sort of boot licker, which is no different then what you're calling me out for. Prime example of a double standard.

Mostly angry because I don't want them taking away focus from the anime to make a new movie tbh.
After seeing how war arc and even Deku vs Shiggy suffered in season 6 without any movie in sight, I honestly don't mind the movies anymore.

At least one cour (including major fights) is always gonna suffer per season, whether there is a movie or not.

Yeah for those that don’t know….this is what a manga author’s schedule looks like

c7v83g3ywh3z.jpg

Made even worse by the fact that Horikoshi’s most recent author comments were about striking pain in his shoulder and troubles with his ear so…yeah man is suffering.
what the **** am I looking at

I'd beg to differ.
Lol, sure man.

Because notice how whenever someone criticized Deku's character, people where always quick to jump on them... because everyone knew they were talking out of their asses.
I'm going to be honest with you, I don't know if you're talking about the forum here, or reddit, or in general.
Either way, I don't see the point of this, when the previous subject was regarding Toga and not Deku.

If everything was subjective in media analysis, there would be no such thing as 'good writing.'
If you actually did any sort of analysis then, maybe we can have this conversation. But as it stands, you and some others have differing opinions about something and are bickering about who is rubbing someone's opinions on who.

Media analysis isn't inherently objective nor subjective either, btw.

Same with Shoji too, since that actually shed light on a core problem with how the villains, and consequently, the heteromorphs, viewed themselves and society.
I'm not really interested in this "Is Earthyboy objectively correct?" direction we're going, but I will address this topic:
The mutant discrimination plotline would've deserved this level of praise had it not been practically irrelevant until now. That's a fact regardless if you think its execution in the current story arc was done well. And that's quite debatable.

That's how everyone acts around here, lol
Not everyone is as personally confrontational as you. Though I'm not really discouraging the behavior, if that's your concern. I was just joking about it.

You're acting as if I'm the only person here that's seriously arguing about the writing of the manga, from an objective standpoint.
Actually no, Earthy. I never said nor implied anything like that. Pretty weird thing to bring up.

which devolved into you talking about how I'd think that anything Horikoshi writes is good
It was a joke, based on your behavior regarding MHA. Categorically, it's not that different from your comments regarding other users.
So it's funny that it set you off, but I'd apologize if that actually upset you.
I can't promise that I won't say something like that again though. If you can dish one, you can take one.

Mostly angry because I don't want them taking away focus from the anime to make a new movie tbh.
Season 6 still had similar problems as previous seasons, without a movie.

Season 5's problems weren't really caused by the movie either. It's all on whoever decided the pacing of the episodes and rearranging the manga story arcs.

Though if the movies are really gonna make things worse then yeah, I'm generally against them being done concurrently or within the same year with an anime season.

Yeah for those that don’t know….this is what a manga author’s schedule looks like

c7v83g3ywh3z.jpg

Made even worse by the fact that Horikoshi’s most recent author comments were about striking pain in his shoulder and troubles with his ear so…yeah man is suffering.
Inb4 his editor walks in his room only to find "All work and no play makes Horikoshi a dull boy" drawn all over the place

We're gonna see MHA fans defend a would-have-been rapist, but this time in anime.

With that said, Vigilantes anime is a long time coming.

Hopefully they skip the first 20 or so chapters when it actually becomes good.

The mutant discrimination plotline would've deserved this level of praise had it not been practically irrelevant until now. That's a fact regardless if you think its execution in the current story arc was done well. And that's quite debatable.
Oh, but I thought this was about opinions.

What's the point in you trying to argue the 'facts' with me now after getting on my ass for saying someone got their opinion off of a Youtube video? You're doing the same thing that you condemn me for.

You're also blowing this way out of proportion and acting as if this is some sort of big deal when in reality, the worst I've done was post a meme... that wasn't really all that offensive. If you want to talk about confrontational, you'd need to pick a better example, because this is just you getting pissy over a meme.

Oh, but I thought this was about opinions.
I was already responding to your comment about looking at things the objective way.

If you want to talk about subjective takes, that's fine too!

What's the point in you trying to argue the 'facts' with me now after getting on my ass for saying someone got their opinion off of a Youtube video? You're doing the same thing that you condemn me for.
A proper response and a meme response are hardly the same thing. "Condemn" is a strong word, I already told you once that you're not a victim so stop acting like one.

If you don't want to argue, that's fine too!

You're also blowing this way out of proportion and acting as if this is some sort of big deal when in reality, the worst I've done was post a meme... that wasn't really all that offensive.
Earthy, you're the one who blew this out of proportion lol. I was the first one who said what you did was not a big deal.

Starting with your response to my humorous remark, after which I clarified that you (and everyone else in the thread) did nothing wrong, so you shouldn't take things too seriously. And then your lengthy response, which interested me enough to reply and clarify once again that this isn't a big issue at all. Heck, I even offered to apologize.

You're overreacting, blowing things out of proportion and accusing me of things everyone can see is untrue.

Starting with your response to my humorous remark, after which I clarified that you (and everyone else in the thread) did nothing wrong, so you shouldn't take things too seriously. And then your lengthy response, which interested me enough to reply and clarify once again that this isn't a big issue at all.
Alright, that's fair.

Although, it probably would've been better if you didn't mention the confrontational part, since to be fair, your joke could've been taken out of context.

Back