• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Our 2 most useless powers that should be removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So all users of these abilities will have them replaced with something else? Because I have character with Chain Manipulation, so I want to know what to do.

I have no idea that Broadway Force was a thing here, guess it needs to go as it can be covered by Mind Manipulation or Body Puppetry.

Time ago I made a draft for Object Manipulation, for those that can control specific tyoes of object regardless of the material, but I guess it was rejected as it could be considered just limited TK.

Organic Manioulation however is kind of different than Biological Manipulation, people suggested stuff like Ink or Oil Manipulation, so instead of creating these pages (and possibly more of the same kind) I made that power; Organic Manipulation is not for those that control the living, but for those that control organic compound, be oil, ink, sugar, wax, etc.

I'm good with Organic Manioulation then.

From the BF page "It is unknown whether or not it is a telepathy power, a hypnotic tune, or a magic enchantment, but for everything in between, we have The Broadway Force."

For the most part Telepathy, Mind Control and Magic are extremely unlikely for when this power happens. But even the, for something as minor as this ability, when the other powers that could justify an ability are all just as likely to apply, someone responsable should add a text saying what the character can do and in brackets a proper explanation pretty much saying "lol we don't know what this is but it could be X power, X power and/or X power".

Broadway Force is pretty much the ability to control everyone in the battlefield to make your own dance number of music video. And it actually appears to be stronger than Toon Force given the nature of it and description. And Michael Jackson from the Moonwalker Genesis/Arcade game is a perfect example of a character with this ability. And I believe the Para Para Brothers from Dragon Ball GT can also do something similar.

It looks like Chain manipulation was already explained above, but it's not that much different than Hair Manipulation.

Chain manipulation seems weirdly specific. I'M be fine with removing that.

Broadway force is kinda body control by definition, if it can force people tp do shit against their will.

It's still completely different and some versions of Broadway force are more than just Body control. And some characters with Broadway Force don't really have various other abilities like body control. It's a different ability altogether. It's the ability to force people to sing, dance, or perform other things within the dance.

Broadway Force is more like Mind Manip, Body Puppetry and some Reality Warping activated by songs. Sometimes it can change the environment and do physically impossible things happen.

I think it's specific enough to stay. I was actually planning on adding a few characters who'd have it.

Broadway Force is clearly a distinct ability; there are plenty of characters with it that can't do a lot of those abilities naturally or with great variety. And there's also different levels of Broadway force that can be interstellar or even Universal; making star constellations sing or dance is a thing. So yes, it's clearly a dance/musical ability that's it's own thing compared to all those other abilities.

"It's the ability to force people to sing, dance, or perform other things within the dance."

All of this can be done with body control though

Not reality warping or making inanimate objects dance. And there are certain things body control can do but Broadway Force can't at the same time.

Some can alter the environment, summon extras for dance sequences, change clothes at will, etc. It's not just body control.

"Not reality warping or making inanimate objects dance."

Lucky for us, we have already existing powers that do this too. It's not like we assume every body control user has every possible facet of the power anyways, just like anything else you just specify what they do.

We have a thread for that... somewhere (kind of inactive). If the power is abundant within fiction and yet no one of our powers cover it, it could be added.

EmperorRorepme said:
Kind of offtopic but how do you get abilities added?
You're supposed to make a thread for it

By the way, I see Broadway Force uses elements of these three powers, that is in general Emotion Manipulation and Body Puppetry. If the user add stuff like changing the environment and background music, add Toon Force to the mix.

@Wokistan, and for some people, characters with body control or body puppetry have wide varities and it's still to the puppet master's will. Some characters can only make characters dance, sing, or tell the truth and that's it regarding body or mind control.

And for some body control people you can only induce spasms, or control specific things. Still body control, despite not being unrestricted.

Antoniofer said:
Time ago I made a draft for Object Manipulation, for those that can control specific tyoes of object regardless of the material, but I guess it was rejected as it could be considered just limited TK.
That sounds interesting.

Ehh, Fungus Manipulation is explicitally not plant tho, is like saying Plant Manipulation is Animal Manipulation. You can say, however, that fungus, plants and animals are Biological Manipulation (is a broad power).

As for Thread Manipulation, most of the time is a Weapon Mastery power.

That's exactly my point though, in almost every case of broadway force they're not just 'insert power here but done through music', its it's own distinct power that functions differently from what it has been proposed as

Hell any power here that isnt strictly based on martial skill is technically minor reality warping

Trying to ignore that fallacious last sentence, what powers Broadway Force is doesn't matter. Any character having that power should, on top of having BF, have all the other powers that their BF gives them, making BF as a power redundant and lazy.

You have BF and you can make summon things with it? Well just having BF doesn't necessarily mean you can do that, so you need to write it somewhere in a profile...at which point you may as well add Summoning. This is the same but way worst with the other powers that characters can resist, if we purposely don't add what powers a character with BF is using then no one is going to be able to resist them, which is just irresponsible for our part. Especially considering that the specifics of "maybe it's this power, may it's this other power" it's something only the people who know about the characters with the power know, and anyone reading the profile with just BF there can just think anything they feel like it.

I was wrong about BF just being Toon Force, that much I acknowledge.

I would like to argue that pretty much every ability on here has some possible use in combat if done in certain specific ways. Even Broadway force and 4th wall awareness I have seen work in combat before (here and here for example). In comic-books, even characters with seemingly useless powers can be of use sometimes. Color-Kid can use his color abilities for camouflage, and even Arm-Fall-Off-Boy once saved several heroes lives.

Sorry but that is pointless. By that logic we may as well have as much abilities and the Superpower Wiki, the main point for abilities to be removed and disallowed in the wiki is because they are redundant, not because they can't be used in combat.

If we remove Broadway Force for being mind-control or organic manipulation, then we also have to remove Toon Force for being reality warping.

There is a difference between redundancy and efficiency. Language has the benefit of connotation, and Broadway Force is intuitive in that sense, you can envision what the power looks like at its mention.

For the sake of understanding what a character can actually do, saying they have Broadway Force is much more useful than saying they have body puppetry, or mind-control, because those words have different, more aggressive connotations. The connotation of the term includes the specific nature of dance and singing as opposed to more general manipulation, and also addresses the possible uncertainties of summoning and such, by implying they can only do so if it benefits the composure of the song or dance.

As for chain manipulation, I like the general object manipulation idea, and being more specific on the character pages instead.

Chain Manipulation is poorish, yes, could just list it as a Creation feat.

Broadway Force getting removed is a massive no. It's Social Influencing + Reality Warping tbh, some characters actively influence the environment around to not interrupt their dancing, removing that will result in alotta characters getting random "Limited" abilities like Probability Manipulation, Social Influencing/Mind Manipulation, Body Puppetry, Sound Manipulation, LIFE manipulation, Necromancy, Weather Manipulation, Creation, Weapon Creation, Time Manipulation etc. etc. This is, as is obvious, a grotesquely poor representation of characters.

Removing the latter is a massively terrible idea.

Chain Manip. is a common enough power in fiction for it to have it's own page.

Definitely keeping Broadway Force.

I may only focus on Chain Manip then, so further evaluation here should please only do that.

It being a common enough power doesn't matter for 2 reasons.

• We already have so many powers that common users get confused over it and unconsciously dismiss some when doing stuff here, leading to inaccuracy. Newer users could justifiably find cringy how we have a power for 1 specific object to be manipulated, it raises several self-explanatory questions for, and they are not wrong.
  • It negatively affects profiles. If you have Chain Manip and you can use TK to move chains then cool that will be in the profile under that power, if you can also use TK on non-chains too then not-so-cool that's gonna be added on TK and the Chain Manip TK feats will go there too. If you can create chains that goes on Chain Manip, if you can also create non-chains things then that too goes as both Creation and Chain Manip, and so on. Unless, of course, you may want to actively refuse to give certain info in the profile. Sub-types are fine but the people adding them is mostly always too arrogant to see how wanked and bad would profiles look if they had the original powers+the sub-types in many uses each. They just look like they have a lot of powers for the sake of having a lot of powers.

I agree with Zark, Broadway Force is clearly its own thing as it makes more sense to consider that a specific ability rather than treating Broadway force feats a composite limited and passive versions of a bunch of other abilities put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back