• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Powers and Abilities Diversification Project

Crabwhale

Wasteland Gravetender
VS Battles
Administrator
Overview
VSBW has over 200 standard power pages, and the number is rising all the time. I believe, and I think most others do as well, that they should seek to be as comprehensible and representative of our wiki as possible.

However, the latter part of those requirements is not present in a good chunk of them. You'll see a lot of pages that have examples listed on their Example section from just a single or a couple of mediums, sometimes even a couple of franchises period. In the former case, anime/manga is the most common example, though not the only.

I think these pages could do with some diversity, and that is the purpose of this thread: diversifying the range of examples provided in our power pages (or at least the ones that need them). I don't really have, nor should there be in my opinion, a definite metric for this sort of thing. However, a couple of examples being added will go a long way, with the bonus of providing more options for recognizing the usage of a power (more examples from more mediums = a greater chance of having been encountered before).

My criteria for creating the list:
I have created the list of power pages that are in my opinion lacking in their examples. As I said before the criteria for this isn't exact, but I've stuck to basic template to pick these out:
-pages with less than three examples
-pages with 50% or above (roughly) of examples provided by the same medium

If anyone has any better ideas for this vague system of evaluating them, I'm open to suggestions.

Ze list
Here are all the power pages that could, in my opinion, use some replacement or addition in terms of examples:
*Absolute Zero
*Accelerated Development
Acid Manipulation
*Adaptation
*Afterimage Creation
Aura
*Automatic Translation
*Awakened Power
*Berserk Mode
Blood Manipulation
*Body Control
*Broadway Force
*Construction
*Cosmic Awareness
Creation
*Damage Reduction
*Damage Transferal
Danmaku
*Darkness Manipulation
*Deconstruction
*Durability Negation
*Empathic Manipulation
*Energy Manipulation
Existence Erasure
*Explosion Manipulation
*Free Movement
*Fusionism
*Fungus Manipulation
*Hacking
*Hair Manipulation
*Healing
Higher-Dimensional Existence
*Holy Manipulation
*Illusion Creation
*Information Manipulation
*Instinctive Reaction
*Light Manipulation
Longevity
*Magic
*Magma Manipulation
*Martial Arts
*Matter Manipulation
*Memory Manipulation
*Morality Manipulation
*Multiple Selves
Necromancy
*Paper Manipulation
*Paralysis Inducement
*Perception Manipulation
Petrification
*Physics Manipulation
*Plant Manipulation
*Plot Manipulation
Poison Manipulation
*Power Absorption
*Power Bestowal
Power Mimicry
*Power Nullification
*Precognition
*Pressure Points
*Probability Manipulation
*Psychometry (this one's section could use a complete overhaul, as it's not even following a template)
*Quantum Manipulation
*Radiation Manipulation
*Reactive Evolution
*Resurrection
*Sand Manipulation
*Sealing
*Self-Sustenance
*Sense Manipulation
*Shapeshifting
*Sleep Manipulation
*Smoke Manipulation
*Social Influencing
*Sound Manipulation
*Statistics Amplification
*Statistics Reduction
*Status Effect Inducement
*Subjective Reality
*Summoning
*Supernatural Willpower
*Surface Scaling
*Telekinesis
*Teleportation
*Text Manipulation
*Thread Manipulation
*Time Manipulation
*Transmutation
*Underground Mobility
*Unholy Manipulation
*Vector Manipulation
*Water Manipulation
*Weapon Control
*Weather Manipulation
*Zero-Dimensionality (this one may have to stay the same just from sheer absence of examples)

General guidelines for additions
Now, while I desire to revise these pages with a more robust roster of examples, there's a couple of things to keep in mind so as to not make this revision completely redundant:

1. Suggest examples from mediums that are not already dominant in the profile. For example, if a profile has a majority of Western video game characters as examples, do not suggest more Western video game characters to be added. Find something else from another medium.

2. Do not give suggestions for examples to be taken from the following verses: Akame ga Kill, Kill la Kill, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Dragon Ball, DC, Marvel, Warhammer 40K, Bionicle, Digimon, Fate, Fairy Tail, Doctor Who, Ben 10, To Aru Majutsu no Index, Touhou Project, The God of High School, Toriko, SCP, Umineko, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Gurren Lagann.
The reason for this is simple: these verses already have a massive overrepresentation in our powers and abilities pages.

3. Since this is a wiki wide revision, it has been put in the staff forum. However, since it's rather less serious than many other revisions and I'm eager to see the help flow in, I'll be a lot more lenient with who I allow to post on here.

In conclusion
I'm tire.

Last edited:
feel free to slap in D&D guys for tabletop rep, we're as unpopular as it gets :)

M'kay, but like

WHICH ones. I'm willing to do the work but I'd prefer like, actual examples of powers and stuff.

Would this thread be the place to further discuss if any of this lacking powers maybe be better to just deleted and merged with other pages or?

Absolutely NOT, lmao. That is not a workload I'm willing to tackle.

M'kay, but like

WHICH ones. I'm willing to do the work but I'd prefer like, actual examples of powers and stuff.
Accelerated Development: Karsus, Anthraxus

Acid: Rust Monster, Zuggtmoy

Adaptation: Gibbering Mouther, Ghoul

Afterimage: Emirikol the Chaotic, Displacer Beast

Aura: Balor, Atropal

Automatic Translation: Drawmij, Rock Gnome

Avatar Creation: Doresain the Ghoul King, Kas the Bloody Handed

Blood: Dretch, Kyuss the Worm that Walks

Body Control: Genius Loci, Ochre Jelly

Broadway Force: Otto (I cannot stress enough that this one, specifically, should be used)

Cosmic Awareness: Charon, The Nameless One

Creation: The Luminous Being, Ao

Damage Reduction: Werewolf, Tarrasque

Damage Transferal: Shield Guardian, Myconid

Danmaku: Aumvor the Undying, Otiluke

Darkness: Shadow, Almiraj

Deconstruction: Klysandral, White Slaad

Durability Negation: Shredstorm, Gibbering Orb

Empathic: LeShay, St. Kargoth the Betrayer

Energy: Desiccator, Devourer

Existence Erasure: Gloom, Umbral Blot

Explosion: Dread Emperor, Helmed Horror

Free Movement: Pharblex Splattergoo, Medusa

Fusionism: The Undying Temple, Skin Kite

Fungus: Mu Spore, Violet Fungus

Hair: Marlos Urnrayle, Maliskra

Healing: Guardian Naga, Avoral

Holy: Vocar the Disobedient, Eclavdra

Illusion: Hamadh the Unseen, Annis Hag

Information: Truename users such as Irae T'sarran or Bigby...

...I'm tired of switching out the DPL. The list goes on, obviously.

Much obliged. Now to just get some more input.

As for the actual premise: I don't think it's terribly important but this is one of those rare instances where even I cannot find any actual downside to doing it. If you want to do it yourself, I support that.

I never intended for it to be terribly important. However, I do think it's a valuable thing in the long run.

It also helps scour power pages from excessive anime FILTH

The Don't-mention-my-nationality-you-idiot speaks too much. We should kill him now, or face the consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I got one example of Petrification.:

Petrification: Captain Olimar (His Ultra Bitter Spray petrifies foes)

Also, here are two examples for Text Manipulation that I have yet to put on the wiki:

Text Manipulation: Light Yagami (Death Note; any name he writes gets killed with the Death Note), Felix the Cat (1919-1936; Felix the cat regularly manipulates text in his cartoons)

Update: Felix is in now!: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Felix_the_Cat_(1919-1936)

Last edited:
*Higher-Dimensional Existence (This one has no examples)
Godzilla, doesn't matter the version.

You can put Batman on them all too.

I'll be back with more.

Some of the abilities IMHO are fine (Like Water Manip), some could use better examples where unfortunately, we might have to push for using the examples you listed not to use, because Ant would flip his lid if he found out Thor wasn't on the Weather Manip page

Some are straightforward tho.

Smoke Manipulation: Smoke from Mortal Kombat would be a fine example to use.

Petrification: Gorgons and Medusa from Greek Mythology

That be it I guess.

Some of the abilities IMHO are fine (Like Water Manip), some could use better examples where unfortunately, we might have to push for using the examples you listed not to use, because Ant would flip his lid if he found out Thor wasn't on the Weather Manip page
Instead of removing examples we could simply add more in pages that don't have too many, as a way to make them less homogenized.

Alternatively I could just go through the category listing for every power and pick representatives myself, but I'd rather not have this big of a project be entirely handled by me, even if it is ultimately pretty unsubstantial.

I got Felix on the wiki (specifically his 1919-1936 self); can he be used as a Text Manipulation example now?

Perhaps.

I'd rather just have a bunch of options flood in.

This stunlocked me for hours. Hope a few of these suggestions get implemented.

Acid Manip: Fenrir (Versus Umbra), Versus Umbra, Western Flash Game (Although this doesn't feel like a very archetypical example; just a gun that shoots acid)

Body Control: Yotsugi Ononoki, Monogatari, Japanese Novel/Anime (Yeah yeah no dominant mediums, but this page only has a single example so far; if you're gonna add a bunch adding another anime character should be fine)

Cosmic Awareness: Maki Himena, Zaregoto, Japanese Novel/Anime

Creation:
Damage Reduction: Molly Blyndeff, Epithet Erased, Western Cartoon/Novel

Darkness Manipulation: Aaron Smith-Teller, Unsong, Western Novel

Existence Erasure: Eztli-Tenoch, Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten, Western Video Game

Explosion Manipulation: Adrian (Versus Umbra), Versus Umbra, Western Video Game

Healing:
  • Risuka Mizukura, Magical Girl Risuka, Japanese Novel/Manga
  • Makoto Muraki, Drill Hole in my Brain, Japanese Novel (Might not be a great option because the page has a content warning)
Higher-Dimensional Existence: Scion (Worm), Parahumans (Verse), Western Novel

Holy Manipulation: Bakal Kozar, Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten, Western Video Game

Illusion Creation: Gaia (Idling to Rule the Gods), Idling to Rule the Gods, Western Video Game

Light Manipulation: Bakal Kozar, Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten, Western Video Game

Magic: Risuka Mizukura, Magical Girl Risuka, Japanese Novel/Manga

Matter Manipulation: Beomus, The Prince of Milk, Western Novel, Molecular Manipulation

Memory Manipulation: Sarah Smith-Teller, Unsong, Western Novel

Paralysis Inducement: Azra Livbar, Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten, Western Video Game

Perception Manipulation: Kuudou Hinokage, Medaka Box, Japanese Manga/Anime

Plant Manipulation: Gefion, Idling to Rule the Gods, Western Video Game

Poison Manipulation: Zombie (Idling to Rule the Gods), Idling to Rule the Gods, Western Video Game

Power Absorption:
Power Bestowal:

Power Nullification: Sophia (The Champion), The Champion, Western Comic, Power Nullification

Precognition: Hathor (Idling to Rule the Gods), Idling to Rule the Gods, Western Video Game, Analytical Prediction

Probability Manipulation: Beomus, The Prince of Milk, Western Novel

Quantum Manipulation: Beomus, The Prince of Milk, Western Novel

Resurrection: Tletl-Meztli, Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten, Western Video Game

Sealing: Humanity (Undertale), Undertale, Western Video Game

Self-Sustenance: Yotsugi Ononoki, Monogatari, Japanese Novel/Anime

Shapeshifting: Shinobu Oshino, Monogatari, Japanese Novel/Anime

Sleep Manipulation: Damian (The Champion), The Champion, Western Comic

Sound Manipulation: Aaron Smith-Teller, Unsong, Western Novel

Statistics Amplification: Sophia (The Champion), The Champion, Western Comic

Statistics Reduction: Mera Salamin, Epithet Erased, Western Cartoon/Novel

Status Effect Inducement: Markos Kashantir, Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten, Western Video Game

Subjective Reality: Sylvester Ashling, Epithet Erased, Western Cartoon/Novel

Summoning: Dylan Alvarez, Unsong, Western Novel

Teleportation: Damian (The Champion), The Champion, Western Comic

Time Manipulation: Zora Salazar, Epithet Erased, Western Cartoon/Novel

Transmutation: Ramsey Murdoch, Epithet Erased, Western Cartoon/Novel

Water Manipulation: Nephthys (Idling to Rule the Gods), Idling to Rule the Gods, Western Video Game

Last edited:
based-jesse-lee-peterson.gif

Does anyone have examples for Weapon Mastery?

Examples with a GIF would be better than a static image, the current one sucks and I'm improving the page.

Hmm. I'm thinking maybe I should get a few more staff to comment here before I decide to undertake any additions.

I got some good examples(chinamen of course...you don't see them mentioned) with actual more uses than one for X power, including a few gifs If needed to change from a static image, but will make a list later since im at gym rn. A good thing If you want gif is sincerely use Tenor and write there for example, sword user, sword fight, water anime, etc....it gives a lot of examples.

Last edited:
Avatar Creation: Xue Ying - He can create multiple avatars of himself, each acting with their own thoughts if needed and use all of his powers. They also have their own soul, and even reached the level of if his true self dies, the avatar can create another him.

Illusion Creation: Xue Ying - He's breathing illusions (that's most of his fighting style beyond spearmanship). At lower levels, he could only create illusions to deceive his opponents, then he could create illusory limbs that could become physical, then as he advanced his illusions could even gain souls. He can create avatars that can take his place using illusions and later created an entire Illusory World that replicate the entire world (excluding living beings) which he can enter and attack from or defend. Altering one's perception through illusions, becoming an illusion himself, or connect his illusions with the dreams of others, inducing them through countless lives (within the dreams), or kill them in the illusion and them dying in the real life - like making them suicide in the dream/illusion. He got more uses but I think he fits well.

Blood Manipulation: For this, we could use a gif from the series that has the current image. "Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai No Kanate) can manipulate her blood to form weapons" - gif .

Cosmic Awareness: Luo Yuan - He can sense things on a cosmic scale, being able to sense even the atoms which let him to calculate the way atoms need to rearranged to recreate destroyed matter to the exact degree it was in its original state. Fits pretty well I would say.

Precognition:

Luo Yuan - He can normally only see 12 seconds in the future but by creating 635 million clones to act like a hive-mind, his mental computation increases to being able to see more than a day in the future which is done through the manifestation of the quantum probability. ... Thinking now, I could add Quantum Manipulation to his profile for doing this (ugh).​

Higher Dimensional Existence: Luo Yuan - once again him, in the 4th Dimension his body extends beyond higher dimension, and twist endlessly thus folding space, making so that what is seen in the 3rd Dimension is just a projection.
*P.S. If you ever want a pretty good feat for Dimensional Manipulation, he fits well as he can create attacks that if hit will make beings of the same dimensionality as him descend becoming of lower dimensionality (4-D to 3-D for example).

Reactive Evolution: Janus (Nightmares of Alamir) - Anything throw at him will make him get resistances, the higher the impact as long as it doesn't kill him, the more his resistances increase to even gaining immunities against it. He even died once, but got a resurrection ability that made him get a small chance to revive the next time he dies, and the more he dies, the higher the chances get. He can do simple things and get abilities, and the more he does, the better his profiency of said things.

Multiple Selves: Janus (Nightmares of Alamir) - he got two selves. Now, the thing is that thanks to his ability as Duality, he can split the timeline into Path A and Path B, letting him chose which one to become the main one and then split once again the timeline after its being chosen as "Canon". This way he can do things in both Paths and then chose which he likes more. Had to explain this to get to the Multiple Selves use - he uses one self to control Path A and the other self to control Path B to get better results.

Accelerated Development: Qin Mu - the difference in power between the today him and the next day him is so big that a normal being would need to train for 20 years to have the same results.

Soul Manipulation: Qin Mu - He can control his own soul, and then what he can to do other beings: control it, attack it (multiple ways - with his weapon, limbs, light attacks that burn it, with projections of elements or dragons, and a lot more), seal it, BFR it, summon it, heal it, and even materialize souls for things that don't have one be it objects (like a house, a rock, the forest, etc) or even other beings that lack one. His profile is not yet completed and missing multiple keys, but once I add them, he will get at least 10+ different types of soul manipulation than the one's said.

Weapon Control: Qin Mu - He can control 8000 flying swords where each sword performs a different sword technique than the other at the same time which made him reach the Path with his swords, thus becoming the most skilled swordsman.

Danmaku: Qin Mu - His weapon control of 8000 flying swords could be enough but he has multiple such things like creating tens of thousand of attacks, creating a mini sun that will release light-rays that could kill countless beings (used for a poisonous bug invasion - each bug was hit by a different light-ray), create multiple manifestations from his energy to attack tens of targets.

Body Control: Zhong Yue: He can reconnect his blood veins, steam the muscles to stop the bleeding, shift his abdomen and back muscles to rejoin broken bones and to dodge fatal attacks, and even close all his pores. He also control any part of his body to become a weapon that can attack the body and the soul/spirit.

Shapeshifting: Zhong Yue: He can take the form of all beings that he can understand, said to have countless transformation but he perfected just 11,500+. Like, he can change the appearances, the bloodline, and even grant the unique talents of the specific race he changed into, where he later can even shapeshift his aura and soul to be a perfect match of his opponent. Where even later (in the last key of his, which currently is the only missing one, so it won't help much but a good thing to know is that he can transform in anything his opponents got or he has seen or know about - even abstract things).

Sealing: Meng Hao (Post Immortal Ascension) - His whole stick is sealing. He can seal the power and body of someone by using space as a canvas (even sealing abstract concepts). Use one's target Karma to seal them, the more one has, the stronger the sealing. Using the memories to seal someone. Use life and death to seal, use time to seal, use the real and un-real to seal, use beginnings and endings to seal, seal everything within a portal then release it, seal magic, seal wills, seal other seals, seal laws and more.

Darkness Manipulation: Shikamaru Nara (Naruto) got a lot of these - gif 1, gif 2.

Weather Manipulation: Storm (Marvel) should fit well, but I can't find that many good gifs - gif 1.

Thread manipulation: Sasori or his grandma Chiyo can use chakra threads to control puppets or even living beings - gif (Sasori), gif (Chiyo)

Sleep Manipulation: Mystogan (Jellal) - With his staves, he can put others to sleep (as an user)....trying to find a gif but I can't that show it as he could work for the page.

Sand Manipulation: Expected to have a gif already but I guess not. Gaara (Naruto) can manipulate sand - gif 1, gif 2, gif 3

Plant Manipulation: Poison Ivy - expected to have a gif for her already, - gif.

Uh, I don't know if I understood the thread's premise correctly but I'd like to help. Here are some examples.
Creation: Kusuo Saiki - He can create something out of nothing and make a bunch of Matryoshka dolls come out of his hands.
Accelerated Development: Kusuo Saiki - His powers constantly grow as he grows older.
Petrification: Kusuo Saiki - Can turn people to stone if he looks at them without having glasses.
Deconstruction: Kusuo Saiki - He has shown to be able to deconstruct things into sand like how he did it to his fathers items.
Durability Negation: Kusuo Saiki -The power to evaporate just enough water from a living creatures body to put them at the brink of death.
Power Bestowal: Kusuo Saiki - Made it so that all injuries in the world heal much faster than normal can possibly grant superpowers to every human in the world, can possibly grant superpowers to every human in the world.
Psychometry: Kusuo Saiki - When Saiki touches an object he can see their history all together and learn everything about the objects past, can read the feelings and memories that people put into objects by touching them, traces a phone call, sees how a door was broken.
Healing: Kusuo Saiki - Saiki can turn back the time of people or objects enough to reconnect an anputed head.
Memory Manipulation: Kusuo Saiki - By hitting another person's head with a bar is able to eliminate the other person's memory for up to one minute.
Power Bestowal: Toichiro Suzuki - Suzuki can give his energy to others, even non-espers.[19][20] This allowed the 600 artificial espers of the Claw HQ to achieve fearsome feats such as toppling buildings.
Power Mimicry: Shigeo Kageyama - Developed his control over plants after seeing a spirit do it once and learned how to project his soul out of his body after remembering seeing an esper doing it once
Power Nullification: Keiji Mogami - Caused Mob to become unable to use his Esper powers in the mental world, Mob's % did not increase despite being under severe stress and his body was no longer passively shielded by ESP barriers.
Deconstruction: Red Baldloon - The red Baldloons are capable of destroying objects they go into contact with while leaving nothing visible remaining
Telekinesis: Null (Filename2) - Uses plants, furniture, vending machines, and even Placefaces to block the player's path
Sealing: Null (Filename2) - Disallows the player from doing anything if he detects cheating
Teleportation: Null (Filename2) - Teleports next to the player right after they are done reading the developer's note, as well as teleporting behind the player when they go to Baldi's basement and check around.
Social Influencing: Principal of the Thing - Being the principal of the school, he is more influential than the player using a Faculty Nametag to pretend to be a faculty member.

Last edited:
I will allow this.

Although some variety would've been appreciated

Oh yeah, would anything involving Ochako Uraraka be a good example of a GIF to use for gravity manipulation?

all's I'm sayin', right, is that Elden Ring has a lot of Gravity Manipulation, and one particularly cinematic usage of it comes to mind above all others

all's I'm sayin', right, is that Elden Ring has a lot of Gravity Manipulation, and one particularly cinematic usage of it comes to mind above all others
Fix the profiles nerd.

No one I have ever spoken to on this subject likes our ER profiles. You are suffering laziness.

No one I have ever spoken to on this subject likes our ER profiles. You are suffering laziness.
brother

I tried to put forward the case on them lol

long before they existed and during the thread

every ************ wants every Elden Ring guy at 4-A with dumb abilities

I'm an admin, not a tyrant (even though I'd like to be).

Isn't it just a possibly/likely rating right now.

Isn't it just a possibly/likely rating right now.
The end result proving my lack of laziness, if you want to go back and read the threads that decided that, yes.

Back