• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Powers and Abilities Diversification Project

Just a note that although it is fine if our powers and abilities feature examples from varied sources, the examples should be intuitively easy to understand from visiting the character profile pages in question and also be highly distinctive for said characters. The examples should also preferably feature as prominent/well-know characters as possible.

So a combination of those three requirements should preferably be fulfilled in order to qualify for inclusion, and more iconic examples should definitely not be replaced with obscure ones that almost none of our visitors is likely to have heard of.

A few additions, rather than replacements, here and there, might be more acceptable though.

yeah D&D is unpopular as ****, disqualify us lol

Forgive my intrusion, but I don't think that popular characters should be used to specify/explain powers, or at least not in all cases.

For example, on the Psychometry page, the image used is not clear in the use of the power, a person who sees the power for the first time will think that it could be something else. Besides it does not follow the format of the other power pages.

Or the Creation page that uses a wrong gif.

And the thread only tries to add a few examples to the pages that lack them or the examples they present are very limited.
In my opinion, it would be easier to use gifs to explain the power, or for example as Dura Neg page uses a comic book in which we see the power clearly.

That's a revision and a discussion for another time, not the purpose of this thread.

Just a note that although it is fine if our powers and abilities feature examples from varied sources, the examples should be intuitively easy to understand from visiting the character profile pages in question and also be highly distinctive for said characters. The examples should also preferably feature as prominent/well-know characters as possible.

So a combination of those three requirements should preferably be fulfilled in order to qualify for inclusion, and more iconic examples should definitely not be replaced with obscure ones that almost none of our visitors is likely to have heard of.

A few additions, rather than replacements, here and there, might be more acceptable though.
While I get that, Ant, I think people get the point after the three billionth example of HST, Dragon Ball or the big two comics verses. There are other facets to our wiki than just the uber big verses, and I feel as if they deserve the attention. Furthermore, I'd say I'm qualified enough to wade through suggestions and find the good ones.

While I get that, Ant, I think people get the point after the three billionth example of HST, Dragon Ball or the big two comics verses. There are other facets to our wiki than just the uber big verses, and I feel as if they deserve the attention. Furthermore, I'd say I'm qualified enough to wade through suggestions and find the good ones.
This. Sometimes the underrated examples have easier-to-explain showings than popular examples anyway.

Well, if you sift through all of the suggestions and find the ones that fulfill my three mentioned requirements, they can be added as examples, but not replace ones that also qualify or fit even better with the requirements in question.

I can probably offer up a gif or new image for Necromancy, as Fear & Hunger displays the process of it directly.

Sure, I could always use the time to make some general improvements as well.

I realize the desire for gifs is diversity while still offering a video element, so when Baldur's Gate 3 fully releases, I would be happy to provide the visuals of their spells and effects if you wanted to get your mandatory tabletop stuff in.

I just wanted to know how the diversification project is going on.

Would it be okay if I tagged a bunch of staff to chime in here?

You can ask some administrators and discussion moderators if you wish.

Well, if you sift through all of the suggestions and find the ones that fulfill my three mentioned requirements, they can be added as examples, but not replace ones that also qualify or fit even better with the requirements in question.
So how is this project proceeding so far?

Okay. Please remember to follow my instructions above.

You can see the list of powers that have already become more robust in representation as crossed out in the OP.

I'm slowly making my way through the list.
I did Zero-Dimensionality for you. How much longer will this take?

I did Zero-Dimensionality for you. How much longer will this take?
Number 1, I'd appreciate if you left this to me. I prefer to implement and select various choices myself. I do consult other people on it, but I would like to have final say on what is essentially my own project.

Number 2, it'll take as long as it needs to.

Hey Crabbo, on three of the pages you've added examples to so far, you've forgotten one of the closing brackets. That might be worth double-checking yourself as you go through the rest.

Hey Crabbo, on three of the pages you've added examples to so far, you've forgotten one of the closing brackets.
Screenshot_2023-11-08_at_7.png

I

Despise

The Wiki Editor

Please just let the dude work lol.

Please just let the dude work lol.
I'm the only staff member currently actively trying to finish backlogged staff discussions and am just trying to remind people to finish what they start.

I'm the only staff member currently actively trying to finish backlogged staff discussions and am just trying to remind people to finish what they start.
No, you're the only staff member pestering other people to finish backlogged staff discussions, with a 50/50 chance of getting on the case of someone actually still doing it, for no proper reason, because you didn't check the actual work, you just saw that no comment was made on the thread in awhile.

To an extent, a person serving as an alarm to remind people of threads again is valuable- threads get forgotten a lot. I get it. But it's rude as hell to be told "actually this is getting done, I just haven't gotten around to updating the OP yet to inform people" and respond with "then do it". And it's something you do a lot.

So, when people tell you "this is actually being done", if you don't want to physically assist with it, just accept that and move on. You're not Crab's overseer lol.

No, you're the only staff member pestering other people to finish backlogged staff discussions, with a 50/50 chance of getting on the case of someone actually still doing it, for no proper reason, because you didn't check the actual work, you just saw that no comment was made on the thread in awhile.

To an extent, a person serving as an alarm to remind people of threads again is valuable. But it's rude as hell to be told "actually this is getting done, I just haven't gotten around to updating the OP yet to inform people" and respond with "then do it". And it's something you do a lot.

So, when people tell you "this is actually being done", if you don't want to physically assist with it, just accept that and move on. You're not Crab's overseer lol.
I'll try to be less rude. Crab said they don't want help with this project.

Back