• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Discussion Thread - Red & Blue arc

"In celebration of Pokémon Day, there will be a new Pokémon Presents presentation on Tuesday, February 27, 2024, at 6:00 a.m. PST. Tune in to the official Pokémon YouTube channel at that time for the latest news and updates from the world of Pokémon."

IF YOU ARE EVEN REMOTELY TIRED RIGHT NOW, GO TO BED!!! (& PROBABLY SET YOUR ALARM, TOO!)
THE POKEMON PRESENTS AIRS LIVE IN LESS THAN EIGHT HOURS FROM WHEN I'M POSTING THIS!

Last edited:
Maybe it would be another DLC? A remake? Or a new main game?
Well, Scarlet & Violet released November 18th, 2022.... About a year & a half ago. (Wow!)

Is that on schedule for announcing a new generation? Even if it comes out November, since Pokemon seems to like their main game holiday season release schedule, & they're being worked to make lots of games....

That said, there is 1 other statement about the Pokemon Presents going around....

"The Japanese premiere link for tomorrow's Pokemon Direct broadcast is up, and metadata reveals its runtime is 12 minutes and 52 seconds: https://youtube.com/watch?v=9SCFNrxBy1M Here's our event page link: https://gematsu.com/event/pokemon-presents-february-27-2024 "

Ngl I wanted to drop Mew and Mewtwo's profile revisions on Pokemon day today but they're probably gonna take a bit longer to finish up.

Ngl I wanted to drop Mew and Mewtwo's profile revisions on Pokemon day today but they're probably gonna take a bit longer to finish up.
Good things take time & come to those who wait, right? No worries.

Also, Pokemon Presents link:

There's also an Asian English Official Pokemon Youtube Channel with live chat if you prefer that, & their Twitch Channel may also be showing it!

So yeah. Like, 8 minutes of nothing other than the usual Masters stuff.... I guess Immersive Cards might have potential for feats, but since we're separating continuities, TCG stuff probably doesn't count.

That final trailer at the end though.... It was a surprise. A nice one, but still. Also, the way they presented it was weird. Oddly futuristic. Either they just did mockup visuals because they don't have a game to show yet, or it's going to be very different from what we know.

So yeah. Like, 8 minutes of nothing other than the usual Masters stuff.... I guess Immersive Cards might have potential for feats, but since we're separating continuities, TCG stuff probably doesn't count.

That final trailer at the end though.... It was a surprise. A nice one, but still. Also, the way they presented it was weird. Oddly futuristic. Either they just did mockup visuals because they don't have a game to show yet, or it's going to be very different from what we know.
TCG has stuff from both the games and the anime so it depends on the card. It seems like legends ZA is gonna take place in a more urban setting opposed to Arceus which took place in the past.

"Lumiose City is the setting of the upcoming Pokémon Legends: Z-A, where an urban redevelopment plan brings with it a vision of people and Pokémon living together in harmony. Look for this new entry to the Pokémon video game series to arrive in 2025."

Not much there yet, but may be worth keeping an eye on as the time goes by.

I'm just glad it seems they're taking their time with a 2025 major release plus Mega Evolution by itself is still very marketable and the Kalos region (Gameplay wise) needed more content/lore especially for Zygarde and improved overall world building not to mention outside Diancle the mythical Pokémon essentially had nothing to do with the Kalos region also (Minor rant):

I don't care what anyone says Mega Evolution was and still IS the best gimmick the franchise has ever introduced (Alongside regional variants). Z-moves had potential but were held back by being a one off "hail-mary" that can be easily blocked or avoided, Dynamax was somehow even more game breaking than Megas by essentially combining Megas with Z-moves while granting immunity to certain moves/status ailments, it didn't matter if there was a 3 turn limit when you can easily cripple your opponent to the point they can't win with stat buffs/debuffs and weather changing as a "side effect" to damaging moves (At least Dynamax finally gave us lore accurate Regigigas when paired with Neutralising Gas Weezing) and Tera is pretty good but lacks the "Oomph" factor that Megas had plus is held back by the lack of mechanical accessibility with needing paid DLC for a reliable way to change Tera types and the game straight up doesn't tell you damaging moves that have a base power under 60 get boosted to 60 with Tera, multi-hit moves being the exception (Also Stellar Tera type was a disappointment).

While I can understand some might be disappointed with Gen 5/Unova seemly getting skipped (A PLA-like game that finally explores and reveals the original dragon is pretty much the dream scenario for most Gen 5 fans AFAIK), I feel like this was a presentation where less was indeed more plus let's be honest in it's current state the Gen 5 games have aged very well in of terms lore, world building, gameplay, characters, etc (It doesn't urgently need more "stuff") meanwhile the Gen 6 games are in dire need of an upgrade with the dated 3D graphics, large chunks of the Kalos region being left ambiguous (heck there are several places in Lumiose City that are inaccessible) and ofc missing content/lore from the unreleased eternal flower Floette (a reminder the devs even gave it an unique move called "Light of Ruin" which still exists in the XY game files including it's attack animation) to the unresolved "AZ project" plotline that was also mentioned in both ORAS and SuMo yet went nowhere (kinda like the GC ball in the anime).

So overall for the first time since PMD DX (PLA being an outlier) I'm cautiously optimistic for a Pokémon game but yeah I agree with most peeps that outside Pokémon Legends Z-A, the presentation was pretty much a nothing burger (the TCG game potentially having a little seasoning tho).

Last edited:

Watch to see the reveal trailer for #PokemonLegendsZA, a new adventure set entirely within Lumiose City, coming to #NintendoSwitch in 2025.

Mind, this is Nintendo of America saying this, so IDK if they have complete info.

Japanese Twitter:

2025年、『ポケットモンスター』シリーズの新たな挑戦作『Pokémon LEGENDS Z-A(ゼットエー)』が、Nintendo Switchで発売決定!人とポケモンが共存する街を目指し、都市再開発が進む「ミアレシティ」を舞台にした、新たな冒険が始まるよ!https://pokemon.co.jp/ex/legends_z-a/ja/… #PokemonLegendsZA

Google Translated: In 2025, a new challenge in the Pokémon series, Pokémon LEGENDS ZA, will be released on Nintendo Switch!A new adventure begins in Miare City, where urban redevelopment is progressing with the aim of creating a city where humans and Pokemon coexist!

Here's what I have for Mewtwo's profile so far. I probably include a section in the crt for peeps to vote on whether or not Mewtwo should have Mew's abilities. Btw I think we need better Stamina feats for Pokémon to scale to. Does anyone have any good Stamina/endurance feats that we can use for Pokémon?

Watch to see the reveal trailer for #PokemonLegendsZA, a new adventure set entirely within Lumiose City, coming to #NintendoSwitch in 2025.

Mind, this is Nintendo of America saying this, so IDK if they have complete info.

Japanese Twitter:

2025年、『ポケットモンスター』シリーズの新たな挑戦作『Pokémon LEGENDS Z-A(ゼットエー)』が、Nintendo Switchで発売決定!人とポケモンが共存する街を目指し、都市再開発が進む「ミアレシティ」を舞台にした、新たな冒険が始まるよ!https://pokemon.co.jp/ex/legends_z-a/ja/… #PokemonLegendsZA

Google Translated: In 2025, a new challenge in the Pokémon series, Pokémon LEGENDS ZA, will be released on Nintendo Switch!A new adventure begins in Miare City, where urban redevelopment is progressing with the aim of creating a city where humans and Pokemon coexist!

I hope the game isn't going to be as bad as Legends Arceus

Legends Arceus had very clunky technical issues, and the mixup of the turn-based elements wasn't the style of gameplay I come to Pokemon for. I didn't quite like/agree with every change to the battle system to make it more unique. Plus the time period and the general theming of it being the early days of human civilization's relationship with pokemon left me wanting for more trainer battles or unique battles that could extend how long an encounter could be.

That said, in a lot of ways it reignited the passion of exploration and adventure in a pokemon world, made it feel seemless to capture, battle, and interact with both my pokemon and wild pokemon, as well as how I traverse the map and the freedom of my options and movement. So much so that I was physically jarred by how limited I felt picking up Scarlet and Violet, it genuinely felt like Arceus did things that needed to become the standard from that point on for the game to even 'feel' right to play.

All in all, loved the game a lot, really hoping the Z-A can build on it directly to polish up technical issues (pop in, frame rate, that jazz), as well as blend more of the 'main game' stuff in that I have a personal affinity for, you'd probably make what would end up being my favorite pokemon game if that happened.

...You know...From a subjective point of view. Because a lot of how someone feels about those things is probably not wholly objective.

I hope Z-A focuses only in Lumiose city, but make it so that the city is massive and filled with secrets to find

...You know...From a subjective point of view. Because a lot of how someone feels about those things is probably not wholly objective.
Yeah that’s the thing. Everyone’s entitled to their opinions, but this whole “objective” nonsense has almost no business in opinions on games and really just comes off as pretentious

Great now Pokemon Z-A takes place entirely in a city smh, Pokemon legends Z ? More like pokemon Legends L. Game freak not disappointing when it comes to disappointment

Great now Pokemon Z-A takes place entirely in a city smh, Pokemon legends Z ? More like pokemon Legends L. Game freak not disappointing when it comes to disappointment

Last edited:
On arguably more substantial, related news....

What do we think of the supposed Pokedex for Pokemon L: Z-A so far?
Massively too early to comment on too much, but interesting note: Nothing past Gen 6 in the reveal trailer.

Legends Arceus included post Gen 4 pokemon, including giving new regional forms and regional Evos to some of those post Gen 4 pokemon like Basclin and Goomy's line.

If we use that as a standard for what to expect, there's a very real chance we'll see 'Kalosian' regional forms, evos, and even possible Megas for pokemon from Gen 7 and beyond which can be exciting to think about even if it's just speculation for now.

It being totally city focused is interesting, since it'll make me question how the pokemon capturing will be implemented. Will pokemon roam the streets? Will capture be a lowered focus? Will the actual pool of available pokemon be on the limited side kinda like Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness.

I would love to know more about the structure of what we're getting into here as soon as possible.

I feel like it's gonna be like the main town in Arceus except a lot larger with more side quests and events, I can also see Lumiose City developing as the story progresses. I do think they're gonna keep Wild Area's outside the city so the player can obtain wild Pokémon but wild Pokémon roaming the streets is also an interesting concept.

I’m honestly more interested in the potential for Mega Evolutions of later gen Pokémon (namely Gens 7, 8, and maybe 9)

Back