• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Proposed new speed levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyper FTL: 1,000,000,000,000c | 31,688 light-years/s

(Characters capable of crossing trans-galactic distance in seconds)
  • Traverse half of the Milky Way galaxy in 1.6 seconds
  • Traversing the Milky Way in 3.33 seconds
  • Traverse 1,000,000 Light Years in 31.5 seconds
  • Travel through 2,500,000 Light Years in 78.8 seconds

Hyper FTL+: 10,000,000,000,000,000c | 316,880,878 light-years/s

(Characters able to travel the entire universe in seconds during their fights and/or who are able to cross the universe in minutes).

• Traverse 500,000,000 Light Years in 1.57 seconds
  • Traverse half of the Universe in 2.44 Minutes
  • Traverse the Universe in 4.89 minutes

I use the term "Hyper" for these levels because it is a term that denotes superiority or excess.

These new levels help to better understand the huge difference in speed between characters, as well as adding more variety to the FTL feat classification.

why not just take it from top strongest and have trans universal speed

As I mentioned previously, I am not against this in theory, but it would likely require far too much work to apply when we already have lots of unfinished major projects.

Last edited:
Well, it seems a bit useless but it's not like one would have a specific reason to refuse it otherwise.

I think this isn't necessary at all, characters faster than the speed of light stretch beyond infinity and adding more tiers would not solve anything since there would be always a higher value.

Also, most profiles make sure to specify at what speeds these characters are moving at.

This would most likely cause more confusion for users, who would have to read the entire Speed page to know what "Hyper FTL" even means.

So is there any reason this is needed, I know we are an indexing site but most users probably wouldn't find it any more helpful to have HFTL nor be confused by not having it.

Well, I suppose that it is usually easy to check the linked calculated speed levels oneself.

This comment will probably get deleted since I'm not staff
He says with his comment still present, in a thread where other regular users had commented before him and were fine. 🔨

I use the term "Hyper" for these levels because it is a term that denotes superiority or excess.

These new levels help to better understand the huge difference in speed between characters, as well as adding more variety to the FTL feat classification.
The irony of it all being that the term itself is excessive, unnecessary, and redundant. It doesn't exactly solve the issue of how wide the tier MFTL+ is and instead creates a new tier to take its place in that regard.

I agree with Therefir that it would make more sense for characters within MFTL-MFTL+ to specify their speeds directly on the profile rather than needing an extra tier where this requirement would then be shifted to.

Therefir and Abstractions make a good point.

I do not know. I think that it is a leftover from Polar-kun's days that we never considered it worth the effort to get rid of.

This sounds overtly redundant if I'm to be perfectly honest. And "Hyper FTL" and "Massively FTL" really don't sound that much different. And some opinions may argue that Massively might be a more extravagant adjective. Massively Hypersonic is above High Hypersonic which is above Hypersonic for example. So in other words, I'm pretty much against adding this as a new speed rating let alone assuming Hyper FTL being assumed the name of something above Massively FTL+.

I think this isn't necessary at all, characters faster than the speed of light stretch beyond infinity and adding more tiers would not solve anything since there would be always a higher value.

Also, most profiles make sure to specify at what speeds these characters are moving at.

This would most likely cause more confusion for users, who would have to read the entire Speed page to know what "Hyper FTL" even means.
But most characters in the fastest fiction hover around the Hyper FTL+ level and there are a very sparse amount that are immeasurably faster than those speeds. Therefore, this level for this large number of characters that cross the universe in minutes.

There are a lot of terms in the wiki that you have to go to a specific page to understand what it means and I don't see many people confused.

The irony of it all being that the term itself is excessive, unnecessary, and redundant. It doesn't exactly solve the issue of how wide the tier MFTL+ is and instead creates a new tier to take its place in that regard.
It does not solve it, but it does add new levels appropriate to characters and feats common in fiction.

It seems like this suggestion is leaning towards being rejected so far.

"Hyper FTL" is likely to be rejected, but another term could be found, like the one I suggested which InfiniteDay seems to approve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back