• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Proposed new speed levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree, this is pointless and making people always see what made up name we gave to a certain degree of FTL would be a pain we shouldn't put on others.

Seems like an unnecessary pain to go and establish this all throughout the wiki

A lot of work for little gain. I think the current system works fine. Any term beyond "massively faster than light" would also sound ridiculous in my opinion.

Thank you to everybody who gave input here.

Regardless of the FTL and above levels, we should have a default "lightspeed" level. Some verses do consider light the "speed limit" and faster than that (in their verse) is equivalent to our Infinite (sometimes Immeasurable) levels. Some verses refuses to acknowledge anything above that being possible without instantly gaining in-verse godhood or something like that.

Not many characters indexed would have it listed, but it could help with questionable speed levels involving light speed feats. For instance:

Speed: At least Lightspeed, possibly/likely FTL

Hop figures this would smoothen out the gap. If you find it reasonable, you could also have a speed of sound, but like with light, some circumstances causes its speed to wildly vary. (Sound travels far faster underwater and doesn't travel much at all in outer space. At different heights on Earth can also vary, so maybe ignore this one unless you want "at sea level" to be Sound's default speed.)

Hop is sorry to suddenly take charge in unlocking the thread, but time zones, schedules, blah blah, Hop had important input relevant to the discussion he wanted to provide and hates being ignored when Hop has a staff role for a reason. Not often enough does Hop get to utilize it, forgive Hop for forcing an exception.

That would cause confusion with Speed of Light and Lightspeed being two distinct speeds. Also, why would we make an entire speed role dedicated for an exception of verses which don't act like the other? For your first example, we can just place those people at SOL and Infinite if they have the feats for it. This is heavily reductive and adds nothing.

I believe light is set to light in a vacuum, but I could be wrong. Sound I believe is in air.

TBH that would be better with its own thread (not that I'm a fan of it either for the reasons above), the current topic has been thoughtfully declined and it would be best to close this thred already.

That would cause confusion with Speed of Light and Lightspeed being two distinct speeds. Also, why would we make an entire speed role dedicated for an exception of verses which don't act like the other? For your first example, we can just place those people at SOL and Infinite if they have the feats for it. This is heavily reductive and adds nothing.

I believe light is set to light in a vacuum, but I could be wrong. Sound I believe is in air.
Breakdown is easy:

1. By default, lightspeed is the speed it moves in a vacuum, free of gravity or manipulation. That's not changing.

2. You misunderstand Hop's point entirely, no idea where that came from, didn't say SoL and Lightspeed needed to both be listed and distinct. What Hop meant was: How is this a concern, light itself acting different verse-to-verse? These verses typically display and explain how that is so, its on the verse and those of us who write pages for them to elaborate. Hypothetically, if a verse has MFTL+ as its base for light's speed, then we can continue to call it MFTL+ or what have you. We are always referring to the real world with our wiki terms, or at least commonly understood fictional concepts, like say, matter/atom/physics manipulation. Light rarely is changed for such reasons in fiction/verses.

3. "Speed of Light" is lengthy (and sometimes characters in this realm of speed/power/etc are crazy large as it is), so you can just rename to Lightspeed on the speed page if that makes sense. Pages, of course, need not be updated to reflect that change. Waste of time and edits for what literally states the exact same thing. If "renaming" it makes sense, then that's an easy but not hefty change for us. Wordy pages for the sake of sound smart are more frustrating for new users than having to read definitions of Wiki terminology in the first place. They typically are smart enough to understand there would be things here over their head (and even us staff at times, too).

------------------

Side note on the second topic:
Sound is correct, as it has variation based upon what sound travels via. For example, metal transfers sound much faster, fast enough to blitz several common characters. But that's a rarity and sound often is just audible vibration. Unless we're talking SCP levels of hax, where the sound is used to create some horrific metaphysical effect to bypass durability, it's speed really wouldn't even effect specific events in VS threads.

Last edited:
Hmm, Hop noticed with Speed of Light on the page, shortening the name to Lightspeed is not of utter importance, just a thought Hop forgot about, as for Speed of Sound, it's not needed, but if anyone else finds a precedent to change it up, it may be best to open a new thread for it.

Outside that, it appears some side discussion off track of the original topic is occurring that was not intended with Hop's message, so if you want, feel free to make a thread about that. Hop isn't for really expanding upon the topic of going faster than light and further elaborating the speeds from there, same with current AP standards. (No matter how far into 3-A you are, it's always going to be that tier until ascended)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back