• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn’t do him any favors that in swordsmanship Crusch can beat him, though that's in the past.

How does he scale currently? We know Priscilla=Crusch, but again nothing about how he scales besides possibly below Garfiel, while above Emilia.
Yeah it's kinda hard to say so I guess we'd have to just scale him to Crusch and Priscilla for now even though he could be more skilled.

Some of the movement abilities are definitely different. Like for example none of the other characters on Elsa's level really twist and jump around like she does. But the supernatural abilities like extrasensory perception and aura should definitely scale. The only one that doesn't is Accelerated development.

Some characters like for example Julius and Theresia have reached their max potential and can't get any faster and stronger via flow method like Garfiel or ex 2 Wilhelm. And there are cases like Garfiel who had a mental block until arc 5 and wouldn't get any stronger. There should probably also be a note that there is a max level they will eventually hit.

But even for someone like Theresia a stronger opponent can bring out her maximum skill like we see in arc 5 so that's still something. It's just not the same.
I think its reasonable to say that Theresia did in fact get an AD against Reinhard since Wilhelm himself commented on how it was the most perfect swing he has seen from her and he would of all people know her sword swings the best.
For the AD i believe it should scale like
Julius<Elsa<Theresia<Garfiel(?)<<Wilhelm
and all of that should scale to Reid and Reinhard
However Elsa's AD seems out of line in comparison to Theresia and Wilhelm since both of them know about an attack before it happens
I am also not sure where to place garfiel...

Yeah, Wilhelm breaking his limit with the power of love is something that is quite interesting. There isn't really anything like that. I would argue it's more of a temporary powerup than him developing at a fast speed though.
Its probably similar to that one move zoro has where he blitzes his opponents of similar speeds

I think its reasonable to say that Theresia did in fact get an AD against Reinhard since Wilhelm himself commented on how it was the most perfect swing he has seen from her and he would of all people know her sword swings the best.
That, along with Wilhelm being way more skilled than Garfiel, may have been why I was thinking the zombies are just as skilled as when they were alive actually.

I'm not sure it'd count as AD. With peak Wilhelm and Theresia it's just a temporary boost that they lose after the battle. They don't actually improve as they will just revert back and then be able to get that boost again under similar circumstances. But maybe that qualifies. Celestial will probably have to inform me.
For the AD i believe it should scale like
Julius<Elsa<Theresia<Garfiel(?)<<Wilhelm
You can't scale Julius and Theresia who have reached their potential and can just temporarily boost their skill with the rest who can improve their stats and skill permanently. In fact, you can't scale any characters with each other. Each has their own max potential, progress towards it, and mental states that uniquely affect how they grow. Garfiel couldn't grow at all until arc 5 and now that he got past his mental block he's growing faster than anyone else has.
and all of that should scale to Reid and Reinhard
No, Reinhard is a sword saint so he's reached his max potential. He can only develop because of his dp's. It's an entirely different method. But he's also Reinhard so who knows what rules apply to him.

Reid is even more questionable.

Last edited:
@VortechsTG Zombie Theresia is inferior to normal Theresia it's why her skills can be improved, why she got stronger against Reinhard.

Actually looking at it again, it says it's the most perfect slash Wilhelm had ever seen from her, I am inclined to believe in that moment she got back to her Peak, especially when Wilhelm says she got back her skill upon death, that being facing Reinhard obviously. So when facing a 7-B opponent, Sword masters like Theresia will become 7-B, as absurd as it sounds.

Peak Wilhelm and Theresia can't get any stronger or faster though. But to say they don't have AD might be incorrect, we have seen Wilhelm's attacks become more precise.

We also see that with Julius, despite reaching the limit of his skill, his accuracy can still be improved.

Zombie Theresia is inferior to normal Theresia it's why her skills can be improved, why she got stronger against Reinhard.

Not only that, but Theresia lost her Blessing of the Sword Saint. She was no longer supernaturally boosted to her skill cap, and thus could improve in skill.
Q: TLDR: Was Theresia's Blessing removed in her battle against the Hakugei?

A: The blessing was taken away in the middle of a battle. However, even without the Blessing of the Sword Saint, Theresia is a monster. - Theresia Birthday Q&A
Even without the Divine Protection of the Sword Saint, Thearesia’s body bequeathed part of a former genius with the sword. Manifesting adequate ability of the zenith of swordsmanship, the bolting slash rent the young girl’s petite figure in twain―― - Arc 5 Chapter 73 "Theresia van Astrea"

Zombie Theresia really might've jumped from 8-B to 7-B just from facing a far stronger opponent. Swordsmen are broken in RZ...

Actually looking at it again, it says it's the most perfect slash Wilhelm had ever seen from her, I am inclined to believe in that moment she got back to her Peak, especially when Wilhelm says she got back her skill upon death, that being facing Reinhard obviously. So when facing a 7-B opponent, Sword masters like Theresia will become 7-B, as absurd as it sounds.
Why? Wilhelm statement just seems like she go back to her old skill set, not that she regains her old attack potency.

Her strength is what was drawn out by Reinhard.

Wilhelm was discussing what would happen if he fought her at her Prime, and he said he would have been killed, and she got back to that level at the moment of death.

Also in Re Zero if you're skilled you are also strong, there is no case where for example this person is very skilled, but can't contend with even the mid tiers.

The opposite isn't necessarily true though, being strong doesn't mean you're skilled

Last edited:
I think the only exception to that is when a character (usually Ram) has no mana to boost their stats.

But yes, being more skilled and thus being able to use Flow Method/Mana Circulation more effectively makes you far stronger.

Theresia never trained, and the Blessing of the Sword Saint never boosted her power, only her skill, yet she obviously went from normal girl to top tier of her time.

Theresia didn't even release an attack on that level when she had the Blessing of the Sword Saint in her prime, but facing Reinhard brought out more strength and skill than when she fought Wilhelm.

Where would we mention that Elsa can do this if not in the intelligence section?

It’s the only place we can mention it, genius intelligence maybe?

I'm split between info analysis or making it an offense focused variation of precog. It could be listed as Information analysis and precognition, since the information analysis in detecting openings/weakness in her opponent could be said to be the mechanism behind the precog itself.

what about clairvoyance?

For what Willhelm would get, i'm not quite sure. Normally a resistance would require the info analysis to not work at all, as opposed to him countering it by fixing openings after they have been perceived.

Willhelm just got skilled enough to neg his openings. No resistance is necessary tbh.

Garf cannot be defeated by Julius apparantly, but it could be due to overwhelming power/speed rather than skill? I'm not sure.

the former unless they have like comparable stats or something

Her strength is what was drawn out by Reinhard.

Wilhelm was discussing what would happen if he fought her at her Prime, and he said he would have been killed, and she got back to that level at the moment of death.
In fiction, when someone say "this guy is so strong" usually they talking about his skill, or they level of power.

What Wilhelm seems to be implying is that Theresia as able to gain her old skill where she is about to die, not that her attack power got back.
It also could mean that her attack speed got back as is like before too, not exactly her strenght.
I just find weird that she jump 5 tiers of AP in one moment to another, by just being pressured by Reinhard. And i not sure If How this scales to all swordmans.

In fiction, when someone say "this guy is so strong" usually they talking about his skill, or they level of power.
Theresia's power comes from her combat skill. The more skilled the fighter, the more they can take advantage of the Flow Method, the stronger they become.

The Blessing of the Sword Saint only draws out a person's skill to the limit. Theresia with zero combat skill (Pre-Sword Saint) was a normal young girl.
Theresia at the limit of her skill (Sword Saint) is 7-B.
Her power increased because her skill increased.

And i not sure If How this scales to all swordmans.
All swordmasters can be pushed to the limit of their abilities by facing a stronger opponent. They will not jump to 7-B if that is not the limit of their potential skill, Theresia only did because that is her skill cap. Every character is limited by their skill cap.

Adding on to this the only ones called sword masters from my memory are Zombie Theresia and Wilhelm, so it really wouldn't scale to that many people, their limit is 7-B, people like Julius are 8-B, meanwhile Prime Wilhelm is already at his limit, thus can't get stronger.

Julius did get permanently stronger in the finale of Arc 6, but not through skill, so I agree.

The only other characters I can consider swordmasters are Cecilus, and possibly the Mad Prince, maybe Marcos but he seems like a more general superhuman than Wilhelm who entirely found strength through the sword in my opinion.

All swordmasters can be pushed to the limit of their abilities by facing a stronger opponent. They will not jump to 7-B if that is not the limit of their potential skill, Theresia only did because that is her skill cap. Every character is limited by their skill cap.
They don't usually jump to their max potential that quickly to be clear but since she was already there before and used a slash more skilled than ever before she's obviously different.

Yeah if scaled to Cecilus he'd probably just get unknowably stronger by some degree... in fact that might be how he fought Reinhard? Temporarily tapping into his potential? Probably too speculitive.

Zombie Theresia is inferior to normal Theresia it's why her skills can be improved, why she got stronger against Reinhard.
So it's because she's a zombie that she can improve so much? I can buy that.
Maybe. I can see it.
Peak Wilhelm and Theresia can't get any stronger or faster though. But to say they don't have AD might be incorrect, we have seen Wilhelm's attacks become more precise.

We also see that with Julius, despite reaching the limit of his skill, his accuracy can still be improved.
I think that's just normally what happens when you fight. I know they're sword masters and practice all the time but they aren't gonna be at 100% on the first slash of the day. I just don't think it qualifies for the "accelerated" part.

Adding on to this the only ones called sword masters from my memory are Zombie Theresia and Wilhelm, so it really wouldn't scale to that many people, their limit is 7-B, people like Julius are 8-B, meanwhile Prime Wilhelm is already at his limit, thus can't get stronger.
I wouldn't even apply it to Wilhelm because his body actually physically aged while Zombie Theresia didn't.

@VortechsTG I mean in Peak Wilhelm case, his attacks didn't work on the Earth Worm, and he got better with every attack, till he quickly got past it's defenses, idk how else to describe that besides accelerated? You think we should completely get rid of his accelerate development for that, and then put it in his intel section that he gets better with every attack?

As for Julius it's kinda different? You could say he was thrown into a situation he had no experience with, and very quickly got used to it.

I do agree Wilhelm wouldn't get the 7-B rating cause his body is aged, so he can't physically pull of those feats, meanwhile Zombie Theresia's body was of her younger version, just not as strong nor skill as when she was alive, until Reinhard brought it out.

I mean in Peak Wilhelm case, his attacks didn't work on the Earth Worm, and he got better with every attack, till he got past it's defenses, idk how else to describe that besides accelerated? You think we should completely get rid of his accelerate development for that, and then put it in his intel section that he gets better with every attack?

As for Julius it's kinda different? You could say he was thrown into a situation he had no experience with, and very quickly got used to it.
I can agree they get used to situations they're unfamiliar with fairly quickly then. I guess just saying they "get more precise" doesn't really convey that though.

The main thing for me is just I want to make sure it's clear different characters manifest accelerated development in unique ways. Besides that I don't have too strong opinions on what counts so I'll back off.
I do agree Wilhelm wouldn't get the 7-B rating cause his body is aged, so he can't physically pull of those feats, meanwhile Zombie Theresia's body was of her younger version, just not as strong nor skill as when she was alive, until Reinhard brought it out.
👍

In short accelerated development is complicated and should be looked at on a case by case basis, everything else seems to be usable universally.

Nobody has yet disagreed with the universal skill scaling, so i guess we can go from here to the skill tiers, and what sort of abilities they will get. What i can think of off the top of my head which could be wrong:

Al- Is on the lowest level with second rate skills, but even he has instinctive action.

Emilia? Who has that analytical prediction feat, and would also get instinctive action scaling to Al. Julius can also fit here.

Crusch and Priscilla- Would also get analytical prediction and instinctive action.

Elsa- Has info analysis for that Puck danmaku feat, and analytical prediction. Arc 4 Garfiel is around here, with analytical prediction resistance, and attack reflection.

Arc 5 Garfiel- Nothing exactly new from what i can remember.

Ex Novel cast? They don't exactly show anything new either from my memory, just more info analysis and analytical prediction. But if we say for example even Emilia has analytical prediction, and the Ex cast skills are perfect, maybe we can say their one would be better.

Old Wilhelm- Theresia's crazy precision feat of disabling limbs. I assume Wilhelm dealing with a large number of Petelguese's attacks with dirt, would be info analysis, while predicting them is analytical prediction. Kind of more of the same, though Wilhelm's analytical prediction is probably better than the others since he can predict invisible stuff.

Ram, and Ley/Gluttony- Not quite sure, we have seen Roy, beat both Julius and Ricado, and they are said to have techniques which have a lifetime of experience, and also that even a lifetime of training can't reach. Wilhelm and Zombie Theresia, are said to beyond the realm of humans, so it would be equating being beyond humans, to Gluttony's being beyond lifetime of training, i guess it fits, which is what we currently accept. Ram's skill was complimented by Wilhelm, was shown to be fairly skilled against Ley, albeit she was probably physically superior. Anyway assuming they all are around the same level, they get damage reduction and power mimicry.

I don't think Young Wilhelm adds anything new.

Peak Wilhelm, Thersia, Kurgan- Probably better info analysis, and analytical prediction, with ways to counter them. Plus resistance to extrasensory perception scaling to Cecilus.

The tiers above don't really add much, unless i am forgetting something, so won't get into them.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how I feel about Ram > Old Wilhelm and = Rai, I might be underestimating her though.

I don't think there's a need to discuss Reinhard and Reid since no one scales, but they do get unique things like being able to use any object as a sword (weapon mastery?) and space cutting, and no one scales to Reid's concept hax.

Idk about Ram either, but when you look at it, she copied Rai's technique after seeing it once.

But when she encountered Wilhelm, who complimented her skill, she basically gave up, saying as expected of the Sword Devil 🤷‍♂️

I think the idea that the Gluttony's are around Wilhelm's skill level, might be wrong, not sure.

I think Ram ~= Old Wilhelm is fine.

I think the Gluttonies range from around Wihelm to Young Wilhelm level? Almost definitely above Ram I think since fighting 2-Shackle Ram was no sweat.

Assuming they're comparable to each other, we know that Rai gets stomped by Cecilus, so they're Young Wilhelm level at most imo, they just have far far more experience than anyone else, and know far more techniques. Placing them at Old Wil level, Young Wil level, or somewhere between is fine I think.

Rai alone can break through his limits and fear of Solar Eclipse to become a skillgod Warlock, which he achieved because 3-Shackle Ram was stomping him, and then he stomped her in return. They also cut the narration that gives info on him while still having him achieve this state in the LN which is, Something.

Actually, i don't agree with they scaling skill with each other, since combat skill is not something that you can scale, and the reasons don't convide me much. But is like just some of the skill that i don't agree scaling, analytical prediction of sword saints seems Fine to me.

I ask on Discord, and they said It don't work like that too. Well, they kinda said too that If a character is trained by a master, so there's is basis for them having the same skill.

"Combat Skill" in RZ can itself be seen as a closed power system in a way I think, if it all converges at one pinnacle then it must be connected- the connection likely being Flow Method/Mana Circulation.

Also "I asked and someone said it doesn't work like that" isn't really a counterargument to the reasoning and evidence for it presented in the blog or in this thread.

"Combat Skill" in RZ can itself be seen as a closed power system in a way I think, if it all converges at one pinnacle then it must be connected- the connection likely being Flow Method/Mana Circulation.
I can see that yeah, but i don't exactly agree with some skill feats being scaled to each other
Also "I asked and someone said it doesn't work like that" isn't really a counterargument to the reasoning and evidence for it presented in the blog or in this thread.
Not really trying to do a counter-argument, just saying something that happened to me, that let me reach this conclusion.

I think there is some nuance, for example Old Wilhelm and Young Wilhelm explicitly fight with a sword, so assuming he is more skilled than Marcos for example, who can copy martial arts, i don't think he can do the same.

When it comes to Sword Saints, they are the pinnacle, regardless of what weapon you use, or what movements or techniques you use, so could Theresia copy martial arts too, i believe so, but is there any point? Not really her swordsmanship is better than whatever she could copy, she doesn't fight hand to hand or with a shield or axe, despite being able to due to her battle instincts, cause the sword is better.

That idea becomes clearer with Reid, where he attacks with the concept of sword, cutting anything even with chopsticks. The sword is the ultimate thing in verse, it seems.

Edit: i would also say with the precison feats, those were all done with swords, so i also don't think Garfiel for example could cut someone so cleanly it doesn't cause much bleeding like Julius can, cause he fights hand to hand, not with a sword.

Last edited:
When it comes to Sword Saints, they are the pinnacle, regardless of what weapon you use, or what movements or techniques you use, so could Theresia copy martial arts too, i believe so, but is there any point? Not really her swordsmanship is better than whatever she could copy, she doesn't fight hand to hand or with a shield or axe, cause the sword is better.

This actually brought this answer to the front of my mind:
Q: In her Sword Saint era, how many swords did her sword style use at once?

A: There's no need to use more than one, so I think she was one-sword-style. Rather than using two swords, she'd swing it twice as fast, wouldn't she?

In short accelerated development is complicated and should be looked at on a case by case basis, everything else seems to be usable universally.

Nobody has yet disagreed with the universal skill scaling, so i guess we can go from here to the skill tiers, and what sort of abilities they will get. What i can think of off the top of my head which could be wrong:

Al- Is on the lowest level with second rate skills, but even he has instinctive action.

Emilia? Who has that analytical prediction feat, and would also get instinctive action scaling to Al. Julius can also fit here.

Crusch and Priscilla- Would also get analytical prediction and instinctive action.

Elsa- Has info analysis for that Puck danmaku feat, and analytical prediction. Arc 4 Garfiel is around here, with analytical prediction resistance, and attack reflection.

Arc 5 Garfiel- Nothing exactly new from what i can remember.

Ex Novel cast? They don't exactly show anything new either from my memory, just more info analysis and analytical prediction. But if we say for example even Emilia has analytical prediction, and the Ex cast skills are perfect, maybe we can say their one would be better.

Old Wilhelm- Theresia's crazy precision feat of disabling limbs. I assume Wilhelm dealing with a large number of Petelguese's attacks with dirt, would be info analysis, while predicting them is analytical prediction. Kind of more of the same, though Wilhelm's analytical prediction is probably better than the others since he can predict invisible stuff.

Ram, and Ley/Gluttony- Not quite sure, we have seen Roy, beat both Julius and Ricado, and they are said to have techniques which have a lifetime of experience, and also that even a lifetime of training can't reach. Wilhelm and Zombie Theresia, are said to beyond the realm of humans, so it would be equating being beyond humans, to Gluttony's being beyond lifetime of training, i guess it fits, which is what we currently accept. Ram's skill was complimented by Wilhelm, was shown to be fairly skilled against Ley, albeit she was probably physically superior. Anyway assuming they all are around the same level, they get damage reduction and power mimicry.

I don't think Young Wilhelm adds anything new.

Peak Wilhelm, Thersia, Kurgan- Probably better info analysis, and analytical prediction, with ways to counter them. Plus resistance to extrasensory perception scaling to Cecilus.

The tiers above don't really add much, unless i am forgetting something, so won't get into them.
This looks good. I guess Marcos probably scales to at least Garfiel and Elsa plus power mimicry?

Idk where he scales cause i haven't read Once Upon A Time In Luginca yet, and idk if his skills have been compared to anyone in any other side stories.

Marcos gets these two statements I think, I don't know if they help him scale to say the EX 2 & 3 characters skills:
Marcos defended against Roswaal’s barrage of attacks head-on, striking with erratic violence. His abilities were excellent—better than anyone he’d come across in the last few decades. You’d have to trace back to the Demi-Human War to find someone as powerful as he was. - OUATIL
Occasionally, the world would give birth to a titan—a child of battle, endowed with a violent ferocity capable of overwhelming others, allowing them to readily absorb an opponent’s long-cultivated martial arts and handle them at will, as if that skill were their own.

Marcos was the perfect depiction of such a titan. - OUATIL

I think there is some nuance, for example Old Wilhelm and Young Wilhelm explicitly fight with a sword, so assuming he is more skilled than Marcos for example, who can copy martial arts, i don't think he can do the same.

When it comes to Sword Saints, they are the pinnacle, regardless of what weapon you use, or what movements or techniques you use, so could Theresia copy martial arts too, i believe so, but is there any point? Not really her swordsmanship is better than whatever she could copy, she doesn't fight hand to hand or with a shield or axe, despite being able to due to her battle instincts, cause the sword is better.

That idea becomes clearer with Reid, where he attacks with the concept of sword, cutting anything even with chopsticks. The sword is the ultimate thing in verse, it seems.

Edit: i would also say with the precison feats, those were all done with swords, so i also don't think Garfiel for example could cut someone so cleanly it doesn't cause much bleeding like Julius can.

I kinda disagree. If that were the case Volchanica and Satella wouldn't be just as strong as Reid and Reinhard, arguably stronger in the case of Reid. The observers are the real pinnacle of the verse and the heavenly sword appears to just be one path to become one.

Also copying techniques like from the shinobi or Ley would totally be useful to Theresia. She just never really fought opponents like that.

Marcos gets these two statements I think, I don't know if they help him scale to say the EX 2 & 3 characters skills:
Marcos genuinely seems at least as high as Wilhelm and Theresia in potential but didn't have much experience back then. Nowadays he would be sparing with Reinhard all the time though... being as strong as Roswaal pretty much says it all I think.

It's hard to get a direct Confirmation of his current placement though so scaling to the BB character seems about right for now.

Hm, i guess with the excepetion of the sword saints, I don't think some of the skills should be give to someone, just because they are more skilled, like:
  • Instinctive Action(Just because someone is more skilled than Garfiel, they should get ALL his feats for reacting without thinking)
  • Accelerated Development (Really don't see how this even work, why you being more skilled than someone give you they ability to grow as strong as them, this should be individual skill, including some of the sword saints)
  • Maybe Danmaku (Also should be individual skill, because being better in combat than someone, don't exactly mean you can deal with the Danmaku that someone trows at you)
  • Maybe Perception Manipulation(This is more tricky, but this also seems like It should be individual skill)
  • Power mimicry ( It also seems like It depends on talent, and being more skilled than someone should't really give this skill)
My battery on the phone is ending right now, but i think this is the ones only that i don't think we should skill scale.

The better skill = better control of flow method kinda makes sense to me. Isn’t there a fixed amount of mana a person should possess? If there is there could be a limit to using this method.

I kinda disagree. If that were the case Volchanica and Satella wouldn't be just as strong as Reid and Reinhard, arguably stronger in the case of Reid. The observers are the real pinnacle of the verse and the heavenly sword appears to just be one path to become one.
I believe the thing about Sword Saints (the Heavenly Sword, really) being the peak is in reference to combat skill, not power.

Out of the top 10 strongest characters, only 2 are "warriors" in the same way as say Wilhelm or Garfiel, and they are both the peak of skill for warriors.

This skill scaling stuff won't apply to exclusive Magicians or Authority Users, I believe. I don't even know if Spirits and True Dragons can use the Flow Method.

Hm, i guess with the excepetion of the sword saints, I don't think some of the skills should be give to someone, just because they are more skilled, like:
  • Instinctive Action(Just because someone is more skilled than Garfiel, they should get ALL his feats for reacting without thinking)
  • Accelerated Development (Really don't see how this even work, why you being more skilled than someone give you they ability to grow as strong as them, this should be individual skill, including some of the sword saints)
  • Maybe Danmaku (Also should be individual skill, because being better in combat than someone, don't exactly mean you can deal with the Danmaku that someone trows at you)
  • Maybe Perception Manipulation(This is more tricky, but this also seems like It should be individual skill)
  • Power mimicry ( It also seems like It depends on talent, and being more skilled than someone should't really give this skill)
My battery on the phone is ending right now, but i think this is the ones only that i don't think we should skill scale.
The thing for me is mainly accelerated development and power mimicry. That seems entirely talent based. Being more skilled won't necessarily mean you can grow at the same rate and mimic powers. But otherwise the flow method seems to generally give the same abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back