• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding the existence of Composite human: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fallacy would be if I said that the rules must be followed no matter what, and that exceptions couldn' happen. As I've said millions of times by now: exceptions can be made, as long as you have a good reason to do so. No good reason was given, so until it is, the standard is what is followed, AKA, the rules.

If you can't give a good reason for the rules to be broken, the rules must be followed. It's pretty simple.

What the ****?

Do you not get it?! You're arguing "You can't have an exception without a reason." But that's based in the idea that having an exception for no reason is bad or incorrect. But why is that bad? You can't say, "because you're supposed to follow the rules" to that, because "having an exception" is the same as "not following the rules". Saying "you cannot break the rules without a reason because you're supposed to follow the rules, because you are not supposed to break the rules" is circular reasoning. It's irrational. Fallacious. And unwarranted. I... Please kill me.

Why should the rules be followed? You say "Beacuse rules are supposed to be followed."

Literally, you're saying, you can't break the rules without a good reason because the rules should be followed, because the rules should be followed.

Because you're supposed to follow the rules.

Yes, "having an exception" is the same as "not following the rules", in a way, but not really, since that's what exceptions are, exceptions. They're very irregular and rare, and can't simply be thrown around for no reason. If a page does not follow the rules, it must have a good reason not to be deleted.

Amexim said:
Why should the rules be followed? You say "Beacuse rules are supposed to be followed."
Literally, you're saying, you can't break the rules without a good reason because the rules should be followed, because the rules should be followed.
Yes.

Amexim said:
Andy, do you think "I want to live my life and enjoy myself" is a good reason to break a rule that harms nothing?
This is an ultra vague question that can refer to any number of situations, but applying it specifically to this one:

The wiki isn't some personal property belonging to one member, it's a collective effort meant for the general public to use, bringing up how you want to enjoy your own life should have nothing to do with how policies within it are enforced. The page in question should also have nothing to do with your own personal well being, so that makes it even more questionable why you wishing to live your life has impact on why it should stay or go

You just gonna ignore the fact that your homie just...

I was talking about breaking a law in California that restricts high heels to those with permits. Would you wear them if you wanted, damn the ******* law? Or are laws meant to be followed because they're laws?

That's a situation of how you use your own personal belongings and how you decide to live your own life. What we are discussing isn't the personal property of those who want to have fun, it's a wiki article handled by a community with the purpose of supplying information to everyone. It's not a good comparison and even if I advocated for breaking the rule there it wouldn't mean I would do the same here, when it's not your personal life being restricted, it's the content on a site anyone can contribute to

You can't just remove votes because you don't agree with them. In that case you gotta take out votes that said delete it for reasons above too

Either way I think it's entirely bullshit that you just decided that you can remove other people's votes. We picked a side you can't just deny it just because you don't like our reasoning

It's not just that I don't like the reasoning, it's that it was agreed that "it's fun" or "it's popular" aren't a valid excuses to make exceptions to the rules.

It's not fine, because it's breaking the rules. Real Life Composites are not allowed, and a page that isn't allowed can't be kept around just because "it's fun". By that logic, the other Real Lie Composites wouldn't have been deleted, since people thought they were fun as well.

Please explain the worst that could happen from making one exception. Nothing, nothing is hurt. Nothing goes wrong. What's the problem?

I've already explained why. It hurts nothing and it's fun. Explain why it SHOULDN'T and don't say "but muh rules" because that's not a real reason. Amexim has been over all this already

The rules are a real reason. They are to be followed unless there is a good reason not to. Composite Human contains almost every single categories that got the other Real Life Composites deleted, so there's really no reason to keep him around.

"It hurts nobody" is not a valid reason, Composite Tree didn't hurt anyone and got deleted. Same thing with "it's fun".

"The rules say so" is a valid reason. Rules are made to be followed, and if you want to break the rules, it is up to you to find a reason to do so, not to me to find a reason not to do so.

They're made to be followed to stop bad things from happening. Nothing will go wrong if it stays so there's no reason to follow them

You're irrational. Ignore him. Paulo is not using logic.

"Rules are meant to be followed because they are rules." Is not a logical argument. It's not even a logical statement. I don't even thing that's an actual phrase with meaning. I can tell outside of this that you intend to communicate SOMETHING to justify your position, but this ain't it.

You're literally just asking us to agree with you. We ask you why we should follow the rules, and you just say "because you should!" That isn't a REASON, that's just you restating your premise. "Follow the rules!" "Why?" "Follow the rules!"

You're either trolling or you're stupid. I think the latter.

I literally did my best to give him the benefit of the doubt. Several times last night. He's demonstrated that he is either bullshitting me or he's got something wrong with him, because you can't just not recognize circular reasoning. I tried SO hard. Very. Shit is ridiculous. It's not just us not agreeing, it's him not being reasonable. But I get the warning. Hm. Ok.

But I get warned. Wowww. How is stating his irrational nature an insult? I wasn't referring to him as a sheep brain, but to anyone who thinks "Because it is" is a rational argument.

Also, this is the least aggressive to someone I've been in a long time. I've done far worse, but falling someone irrational is now wrong? How?

I'd say that, based on the reasonings of the OP in the previous thread, Composite Human should get the **** out already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back