• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rest in Peace, Akira Toriyama

I will not lie, for as far back as I can remember, I haven't ever been a fan of Dragon Ball. I've often criticized it for it's writing and characters. I've made jokes about it, laughed at it, and I've generally always looked at the series under a negative light from a quality perspective.

But even I will admit that its influence on manga and anime is and has been undoubtedly amazing. It singlehandedly inspired so many people that I now look up to, and exponentially grew the genre I now love so much to newfound heights that had never been seen before. A feat that I don't think any other series has, or will ever come close to matching. Dragon Ball practically pioneered shounen and walked so that so many others could run, providing a baseline that could be built off.

Not to mention, knowing how much this show means to others... How it inspired them to be greater, and always go beyond what they believed to be their limits. How it gave them the motivation to work out or the emotional strength to remain steadfast throughout whatever unfortunate situation be placed on their shoulders. How it birthed so many discussions and sparked so many friendships and bonds. To positively influence others to such an immense degree is something extremely special that can't be ignored.

And for that I could give no great enough commendation for Toriyama's work. Dragon Ball might have not been for me, but it absolutely deserves its praise for all it's already done for so many others, and will continue to do for as long as time passes.

Thank you, Toriyama.

Rest in Peace Toriyama-sensei. You were a great icon for me, I really liked that when I came home from school and Dragon Ball was on TV, may you rest in a place of peace and tranquility.

5aa3e0508e784de4686bdb3d1cb9ab6c.jpg

I am currently engaged to the love of my life cause of a string of events stimming from Dragon Ball leading me to meet her. I can't thank him enough for breathing life into that series which led to the events that brought us together.

I had to take time to reflect and cry knowing he is gone.

I owe a lot to anime and Dragon Ball.

Farewell Toriyama, I will miss your work and thank you.

Honestly, it is a pain that I never thought I could feel for someone I didn't know, but his work transmitted enough feelings to me to see him as someone close in some way.

When I found out about his death it was like a shock, my heart was beating very hard and my mind went blank, I didn't expect him to leave this world so soon, I wanted to continue seeing what he had to offer the world...
His light disappeared very soon but I hope he is resting in peace as he deserves.

DB truly saved my life, it helps me every day to be a better person and aspire to be better professionally as well as in my personal life, I am eternally grateful to Toriyama-Sensei.

I leave you this video of the meeting that took place today in my country at the Obelisk in Buenos Aires, Argentina commemorating the death of a legend.

Last edited:
I've been processing this in silence for the past few days. Litteraly. The moment this news came to me through my online circle was the longest that I've ever been completely, willfully silent in my 20 years of existence, through sheer disbelief and processing. An entire hour I recall. Legends a plenty have been leaving us recently, but I least expected Toriyama-san to go so soon.

That being said, what this man has done for pop culture and, to an extent, the world at large? Absolutely cannot be understated. Lifelong friendships, sub-cultures (especially the vs community), creators of the past and present and yet to come, they exist due to the footnote that his works have left in history. Whether exclusive to eachother or not, Dragon Ball as a franchise and Goku as a character brought so many things, even entire countries together through their influence alone. And for that? I don't think it can be properly put to words how much Toriyama has shaped fiction and perhaps the world as we know it. He can't be thanked enough, and he will never be forgotten.

Farewell Toriyama Sensei. Teach a dinosaur to ride a ball, and rest well up there in otherworld, won't ya?

I still cant believe this. Dragon Ball has been one of my biggest childhood inspirations growing up for getting into anime and the world of fiction in general. Some of my fondest childhood memories I can remember circles back to this franchise. All the happiest, saddest and bone chilling moments of DBZ I’d get when binging through the series.

Dragon Ball certainly is one of my most beloved childhood franchises that helped open the door to anime for me and ultimately shaping my life and the lives of several generations worth of people, and the culture of shonen anime and nerd culture as a whole.

Toriyama gave us a legendary and fantastic world we were blessed to have explored. Nothing will ever be the same again without him

Rest in eternal peace Akira Toriyama. You, and the legendary legacy you have built, will live on forever and forever in all of our hearts 😔💔🙏🏽

Here's a video I found on notifications that gives more details about Akira Toriyama and what eventually lead to his passing. As the introduction of the video, his fans do deserve to know more truths about his passing. And of course, it reveals how truly hard working, passionate, and determined of a man he was; all the more reason to look up to him.

So, well... everything has pretty much been said, from the importance Akira held as a creator, to how much he influenced a myriad of modern creators and how many childhoods and lives he brought joy with his work, mine included. But I also wanted to pay my respects. Apologies in advance, I am pretty bad with words.

While I am also one of the many fans of Dragon Ball, whose childhood was coming back from school and turning on the TV to watch the newest episode of DBZ (though I started with Dragon Ball proper), being also a huge Chrono Trigger fan and, since recently, a Dragon Quest fan also made me appreciate how large Toriyama's creativity actually is. Akira is often seen as the creator of Dragon Ball, and that's understandable, the influence and reach of his magnum opus cannot be overstated, given how many people are fans of it and just how many artists were inspired by him and how many tropes began with what Akira did. However, if you look at the rest of his work you can see how vast the imagination of this man was, the quirky and fantastic worlds he could create, the characters that oozed personality and you could knew with a glance that were designed by him. Having a recognizable style that people just glance over and say "oh yeah, this was done by that artist" is incredibly hard to accomplish and so is creating a narrative style that people can feel is yours. Your work doesn't have to be the most layered or the most complex, as long as it feels alive and had a personality, something Toriyama could achieve in spades.

Akira Toriyama was fantastic, plain and simple, and his passing will leave a void not only in Dragon Ball, but also Dragon Quest, which won't be the same without his designs, as well as any work that he could collaborate with.

I'm thankful to Akira for all the fantastic works he made and the boundless creativity he shared with his fans. His legacy and works will never be forgotten.

Dragon Quest pretty much inspired the entire JRPG genre, with Final Fantasy being one of the many works included.
Goku is what Sephioth should become as good guy, both know theire own Origin but act diffrent way.

Maybe because Goku love his Granpa Gohan a lot when he lose memory as a child.

While Sephiroth just love Zack & Cloud in his life but still go Insane and kill everyone even try to kill zack.

Sep was Cloud Idol too. (Betrayal)

And without Sun Wu Kong & Superman Origin that Inspire Toriyama for Dragon Ball.

Character like Sep and the whole fanchise will not exist.

Back