• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sanji Cooks Off Against Komatsu

Since the last cooking competition went so well with Spongebob emerging victorious, a second one has been arranged. This time word has spread to the Gourmet World, and Komatsu was happy to test his skills against his fellow chefs. Returning from his humiliating defeat in the last cooking competition, Sanji has his sights on out-cooking Spongebob... Only for his opponent to turn out to be Komatsu this time!

The rules are the same as before: Both participants are to prepare any dish they choose, and whoever's food the unbiased judges like more is declared the winner.

Sanji comes out on top this time: 0
Komatsu hands Sanji his second L in a row: 2 (Kidkinsey, Imaginym)
The Judges can't make a choice because the food is so good: 0

Last edited:
Does anyone know Sanji's cooking feats & statements & such?

I know he cooks a lot, & I think there was that thing where he cooked against some marines, but a lot of his cooking is off-screen.

Although, I also don't remember Komatsu's....

Komatsu is pretty ridiculous. In Toriko cooking is like one of the 2 main focus on their food centric world, the other focus being gathering the best ingredients so a chef can cook them.

Komatsu is pretty ridiculous. In Toriko cooking is like one of the 2 main focus on their food centric world, the other focus being gathering the best ingredients so a chef can cook them.
Yeah, I'm vaguely aware of that, I just don't remember the details.

In other words, what are Komatsu's feats? Sure, he aspires to be a great chef, & he lives in a food-centric world, but what has he DONE?

I'm gonna try to reread a few chapters to refresh my memory, but off the top of my head.
Precision: Even BoS Komatsu is able to prepare a Puffer whale, wich is a high difficulty "specially cooked ingredient". How to prepare it? You must precisely remove it's poison sack from it's body, said poison sack is always at a random unique position in each fish. If the poison sack removal is off by even a milimeter the sack will rupture and make the dish unfit for consumption. It also doesn't help that the fish is extremely dense for it's size, making knifework many times harder. Finally, once the sack is exposed it must be removed by bare hands along with the mucous membrane surrounding it, all while constantly rotating the sack and it's extremely fragile. Iirc, in later arcs Komatsu is able to do this entire process effortlessly in a few seconds. (and iirc, Komatsu has surpassed cellular level precision in later arcs)

Innovation: During the Four beast arc, the titular monster called Four beast spat a poisonous green rain wich covered the human world, poisoning millions of people in a way they would all die in an hour, and the only way to cure them would be by serving them the purple medicinal mochi, wich is also a "specially cooked ingredient" making it requires that all the preparations (the steaming, the pounding, the cooking time and the temperature and moisture levels) be performed with absolute perfection and timed correctly without even 1 millimeter of imperfection. Each grain of the colored rice is irregular and uneven and even the smallest changes in temperature and moisture can alter its color. It would take way too long for even the most seasoned chef to make enough to save all these people. Komatsu, while poisoned and under the pressure of the lives of millions in his hands proposed to create a new recipe that would simplify the process greatly, allowing all these people to be saved.
So, Komatsu asked for 10 minutes and recreated the recipe and standardized the entire recipe. BUT WAIT, he simplified and standardized the cooking process in only 5 minutes. He spent the remaining 5 changing the recipe to make it as delicious as possible. (the original medicinal mochi had a bitter unappetizing taste, Komatsu's new version was described as delicious by gourmets all over the world.

Sense of taste: Komatsu's sense of taste is extraordinary. Each one of the 4 heavenly kings greatly specializes in one of the five senses, Toriko has smell, Sunny has touch, Zebra has hearing, Coco has vision and while not one of them, Komatsu undoubtedly has taste.
At one point of the story Komatsu and Toriko went after the "Century soup", a legendary dish made of 100 different ingredients made entirely of extinct species of ancient times, and when they finally found it... there was only a measly drop left. Komatsu drank the last drop, and was met with 100 different flavors at once, all of wich he was able immediately to distinguish and separate, except for one. Then he proceeded to replace the extinct ingredients for a combination of modern ones capable of harmonizing with each other and creating the taste of the soup, sans the missing ingredient he could not identify, as never in his life had he tasted anything remotely similar.
After 6 months of struggle unable to recreate the flavor of the last ingredient, his wall penguin, a rare nearly extinct species drooled at the soup, and it became complete. It's saliva was the last unindentifiable ingredient. (wich he had no way of knowing, as he probably would never kiss a penguin.)
At the end of the series, Komatsu was able to prepare GOD, and when it is being cooked, the taste of every ingredient throghout the ages that existed on Toriko planet (wich is far bigger than ours) would flood their mind, and only by finding a way to align all the taste in a perfect harmonized flavor would the correct way of cooking it be presented to a chief.

Versatility: The Toriko world is many times the size of ours, and pretty much 99.9% of the lifeforms on it are food based creatures that can be used as ingredients. and never has Komatsu failed to identify a single ingredient on his path and it's preparation procedures. (including the ones who require special methods.) Toriko is a Gourmet hunter and Komatsu's partner, and he alone has uncovered 300,000 new species in the human continent at the BoS. Komatsu can pratically cook anything that is thrown at him, even if it's a dangerous ingredient who can kill you in one bite with no known preparation method he can find a way to cook it from scratch by sheer experience and instinct.

Instinct: Komatsu also has a great sense of culinary, He is able to "hear the voice of the ingredients" wich is a sixth sense that allows him to quickly guess the best way to cook an ingredient, oftenly improving the standard cooking procedure of said ingredients and obtaining a much improved version by mixing them with other compatible ingredients. This is seen when he prepares the jewel meat, the century soup (it points him towards the wall penguin, Komatsu is hesitant to risk killing it to put it in the soup, so he decides to serve it some of the incomplete version, and then discovers the last ingredient was it's saliva).

Talent for finding ingredients: just one word, food luck. Komatsu's food luck is so absurd that more than once an ingredient randomly decided to take a route that would not only lead it to Komatsu, but protect it from being caught by other gourmet hunters. (Like say, Coco, whose sight is so good he can see the future, the shadow of death over people, eletromagnetic waves, X-ray and massively enhanced eyesight range.) Even if you count it as cheating, since it's inborn talent, Komatsu has knowledge over an extremely vast array of ingredients, and is experienced in bargaining in auctions and hiring mercenaries to search for them through the vast world of Toriko.

Tl:dr: this is what i remember. i'm probably missing a lot of iconic feats and my memories of some of them are hazy, but, In my honest opinion, Komatsu is by far the most impressive chef i've ever seen in fiction, Toriko is to cooking what Dragon Ball is to powerscaling, and only way i can see anyone ever outcooking him is if they have some conceptual cooking power or if you just buy some NFL ambrosia of boundlessly perfect taste.

I'm gonna try to reread a few chapters to refresh my memory, but off the top of my head.
Precision: Even BoS Komatsu is able to prepare a Puffer whale, wich is a high difficulty "specially cooked ingredient". How to prepare it? You must precisely remove it's poison sack from it's body, said poison sack is always at a random unique position in each fish. If the poison sack removal is off by even a milimeter the sack will rupture and make the dish unfit for consumption. It also doesn't help that the fish is extremely dense for it's size, making knifework many times harder. Finally, once the sack is exposed it must be removed by bare hands along with the mucous membrane surrounding it, all while constantly rotating the sack and it's extremely fragile. Iirc, in later arcs Komatsu is able to do this entire process effortlessly in a few seconds. (and iirc, Komatsu has surpassed cellular level precision in later arcs)

Innovation: During the Four beast arc, the titular monster called Four beast spat a poisonous green rain wich covered the human world, poisoning millions of people in a way they would all die in an hour, and the only way to cure them would be by serving them the purple medicinal mochi, wich is also a "specially cooked ingredient" making it requires that all the preparations (the steaming, the pounding, the cooking time and the temperature and moisture levels) be performed with absolute perfection and timed correctly without even 1 millimeter of imperfection. Each grain of the colored rice is irregular and uneven and even the smallest changes in temperature and moisture can alter its color. It would take way too long for even the most seasoned chef to make enough to save all these people. Komatsu, while poisoned and under the pressure of the lives of millions in his hands proposed to create a new recipe that would simplify the process greatly, allowing all these people to be saved.
So, Komatsu asked for 10 minutes and recreated the recipe and standardized the entire recipe. BUT WAIT, he simplified and standardized the cooking process in only 5 minutes. He spent the remaining 5 changing the recipe to make it as delicious as possible. (the original medicinal mochi had a bitter unappetizing taste, Komatsu's new version was described as delicious by gourmets all over the world.

Sense of taste: Komatsu's sense of taste is extraordinary. Each one of the 4 heavenly kings greatly specializes in one of the five senses, Toriko has smell, Sunny has touch, Zebra has hearing, Coco has vision and while not one of them, Komatsu undoubtedly has taste.
At one point of the story Komatsu and Toriko went after the "Century soup", a legendary dish made of 100 different ingredients made entirely of extinct species of ancient times, and when they finally found it... there was only a measly drop left. Komatsu drank the last drop, and was met with 100 different flavors at once, all of wich he was able immediately to distinguish and separate, except for one. Then he proceeded to replace the extinct ingredients for a combination of modern ones capable of harmonizing with each other and creating the taste of the soup, sans the missing ingredient he could not identify, as never in his life had he tasted anything remotely similar.
After 6 months of struggle unable to recreate the flavor of the last ingredient, his wall penguin, a rare nearly extinct species drooled at the soup, and it became complete. It's saliva was the last unindentifiable ingredient. (wich he had no way of knowing, as he probably would never kiss a penguin.)
At the end of the series, Komatsu was able to prepare GOD, and when it is being cooked, the taste of every ingredient throghout the ages that existed on Toriko planet (wich is far bigger than ours) would flood their mind, and only by finding a way to align all the taste in a perfect harmonized flavor would the correct way of cooking it be presented to a chief.

Versatility: The Toriko world is many times the size of ours, and pretty much 99.9% of the lifeforms on it are food based creatures that can be used as ingredients. and never has Komatsu failed to identify a single ingredient on his path and it's preparation procedures. (including the ones who require special methods.) Toriko is a Gourmet hunter and Komatsu's partner, and he alone has uncovered 300,000 new species in the human continent at the BoS. Komatsu can pratically cook anything that is thrown at him, even if it's a dangerous ingredient who can kill you in one bite with no known preparation method he can find a way to cook it from scratch by sheer experience and instinct.

Instinct: Komatsu also has a great sense of culinary, He is able to "hear the voice of the ingredients" wich is a sixth sense that allows him to quickly guess the best way to cook an ingredient, oftenly improving the standard cooking procedure of said ingredients and obtaining a much improved version by mixing them with other compatible ingredients. This is seen when he prepares the jewel meat, the century soup (it points him towards the wall penguin, Komatsu is hesitant to risk killing it to put it in the soup, so he decides to serve it some of the incomplete version, and then discovers the last ingredient was it's saliva).

Talent for finding ingredients: just one word, food luck. Komatsu's food luck is so absurd that more than once an ingredient randomly decided to take a route that would not only lead it to Komatsu, but protect it from being caught by other gourmet hunters. (Like say, Coco, whose sight is so good he can see the future, the shadow of death over people, eletromagnetic waves, X-ray and massively enhanced eyesight range.) Even if you count it as cheating, since it's inborn talent, Komatsu has knowledge over an extremely vast array of ingredients, and is experienced in bargaining in auctions and hiring mercenaries to search for them through the vast world of Toriko.

Tl:dr: this is what i remember. i'm probably missing a lot of iconic feats and my memories of some of them are hazy, but, In my honest opinion, Komatsu is by far the most impressive chef i've ever seen in fiction, Toriko is to cooking what Dragon Ball is to powerscaling, and only way i can see anyone ever outcooking him is if they have some conceptual cooking power or if you just buy some NFL ambrosia of boundlessly perfect taste.
I wanna say it wouldn't be fair to Sanji to say that Komatsu wins this without hearing the arguments for Sanji's side....

But I wanna say it wouldn't be fair for Sanji, even if I did hear the arguments for Sanji's side. If what you've said is accurate, I have trouble imagining what chance Sanji has.

Although I do wanna point out that:
Toriko is to cooking what Dragon Ball is to powerscaling, and only way i can see anyone ever outcooking him is if they have some conceptual cooking power or if you just buy some NFL ambrosia of boundlessly perfect taste.
"NFL Ambrosia"?
Just what kind of secret snacks is the National Football League keeping?!

Can we count this as an stomp match?

One series is about literally cooking and eating food, their feats are obviously absurdly insane compared to One Piece world where food is "Normal", Sanji can just replenish your stamina with a good dish and have only partake in cooking contest in the filler, the manga has just Sanji training in Momoiro Island to get 99 recipes, but that recipes are not even explained to be something as incredible as the "basic" century soup

Komatsu was revealed towards the end to have some woman living rent free in his head who told him how to cook passively, and sentient luck was guiding him towards food. As a result of these things he stomps sanji who's not even noted to be world class.

While both are great cooks an judges will pass out after tasting either of their dishes.. Komatsu definitely takes this.
His feat of cooking "AIR" alone is insane compared to everything Sanji's made.

Back