• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Scaling Trails

Golden_Void

VS Battles
Retired
Would it ever be possible (though it definitely is reasonable), to include referenced stat values in profiles?

For example, I've mainly found this problem in Naruto profiles, where I have to go through 8 different profiles just to view the blog that tells me what AP or speed value the guy I'm looking for is comparable to.

In other words (for example with no particular accuracy):

I go to Sasuke's profile to check his specific speed and AP value, but then... I have to view Itachi -> Pain -> Orochimaru -> Naruto -> Obito -> Konan -> Madara just to view the blog to see what Sasuke is comparable to.

It would be much simpler if the numbers were readily available on each relevant profile next to the AP/feat/blog link, instead of having to hunt through multiple profiles and loading screens.

For example, instead of this:

Massively Hypersonic+ (Via this calc)

It would read like this:

Massively Hypersonic+ (Mach 1287.8)

Its less click-baity and more direct. That's just me though.

NOTE: STAFF ONLY

Having a simplier way out outlining the scaling sounds good.

Well, I don't mind linking to the calculation directly, but it should preferably also be explained who each character scales to and why.

@Ant

Well if we're using A~B~C logic, then it wouldn't be wrong to say A is comparable to C who moves at this speed, rather than saying A is comparable to B who is comparable to C who moves at this speed.

Ex:

Speed: Comparable to (speed here linked to the calc or other justification)(Blitzed A)

Moving it to the staff forum would probably be better, yes.

That said, I do not think that we can manage any major revision project, just write a suggestion.

For these purposes, I suppose so.

Though there should be a note somewhere to suggest implementing my ideas in profiles.

I think including a note and instructing people to use this method of clarification in future profiles is a good idea.

Im loving this, Im honestly sick of the old way of scaling and telling us how fast or strong a character is in the section sounds far better then the old method.

I am fine with linking the calcs that make a character be at a certain level of strength and speed, but we should absolutely tell who the character scales to.

Character A being faster than B who is > C who is > D who is > E who is Mach 1,200 is more impressive than simply saying that Character A scales to Mach 1,200, which doesn't truly convey his speed properly.

Personally I have no problem going through multiple profiles to discover the character's tier.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a text to insert into the powerscaling page, and possibly the Editing Rules as well?

I think people can be encouraged or advised to link the relevant calculations either on their respective sections, or maybe on the Feats section, specially if scaling.

Like, "Superior to X, who can do this" or something.

A rule is pointless since such a thing would be impossible to keep in check much less correct over all the profiles. And it is also not a deal breaker than must be fixed.

Linking the relevant calcs is fine.

I would still much rather than an explanation as to why they scale rather than a number or "via this calc".

And yeah, a rule would be pointless.

Yeah, I agree with Matt. It's an unnecessary rule that'd just lead to a bunch of pages having to be edited. Describing the feat and linking a calc is best and is generally what happens. Via this calc should be fixed but ruling it isn't really necessary.

Well, I agree with that we cannot start a massive revision project over this, but maybe mention a suggestion in the Powerscaling page.

So does anybody have a good suggestion for the text?

As always, I agree with Matt here. Just link the calc in the Feats section and get it over with.

Honestly I don't mind going trough the scaling trail, as long as it's well organized.

For example:

Supersonic+ (Superior to full-fledged Chunins like the Demon Brothers, also comparable to other genin such as Temari who could react to, swat away and dispel sound based attacks. Faster than Naruto in base)

The bolded area would be an ideal place to link Temari's calc.

UMR's example is fine.

It seems like the entire issue can be chocked up to bad justification writing.

Yeah, some profiles the scale trail is unavoidable, but there are profiles that should implement this, especially if the character in question scales to another character that doesn't scale to anybody else.

Back