• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Commoner's Thread: The Death of SCP

I feel that it's worth acknowledging what the (self-proclaimed, at least) author for Journey through the Afterlife had to say. Ever since I read the page I believed it was written with the intent of powerscaling, though I believe that it was centered more towards CSAP's tiering system than VSBW, and based on what I've read, that seems to be true.
image.png

l2yiDjc.png

So while it seems that the particular article wasn't written with VSB in mind, it was written with battleboarding in mind, which should've seemed clear to anyone who actually read through it. The article went out of its way to attach Platonism to the story, which, while not entirely unique or problematic on its own, leads to a more concerning outcome when paired with the rest of it. The story describes the platonic concepts as "governing even the archetypal concepts of space and time". The use of the phrase "archetypal" is worth noting because there had previously been arguments in the CSAP community on what type of "concepts" are impressive, with many arguing that they have to be considered "archetypal". Even still, that doesn't do much but show correlation between the concepts in the story and proper platonic forms, as if to communicate "Yeah, it's THAT kind of platonic concept". What's concerning is that the article goes out of its way to then state that although Plato's theory of forms was accurate, it then decides to completely bastardize it and describe the world of forms as being the first among an infinitely layered structure, with each layer considering the ones below them as nothing more than shadows. This is almost exactly what 1-S is looking for, given that it's meant to be "High 1-A but the process is repeated infinitely many times", and platonic concepts are very commonly regarded as a sort of shortcut to 1-A in the community (High 1-A when including the Good in there).
"Vs battle wiki is math based, not philosophical"

This didn´t aged well

At least my MORE-GUN and 2719-J articles are all but confirmed to survive (idk if the DoO will). Can't archive the rest of my articles rn but I'll probably do it tomorrow (provided the verse isn't nuked my then)

Let's not kid ourselves, Antvasima couldn't be more clear that about his bias and spiteful nature towards SCP. I'd honestly consider his vote moot if I was hosting the thread since I genuinely don't think he's being fair or rational in his judgment. But that's just me!
Fax, I agree

We now have 10-5 votes in favor of deleting SCP
Settra believes this is excellent.

With DT voting on delete and now DDM also switching sides to delete I think it's fair to say SCP is cooked.

11-4 votes

Let's not kid ourselves, Antvasima couldn't be more clear that about his bias and spiteful nature towards SCP. I'd honestly consider his vote moot if I was hosting the thread since I genuinely don't think he's being fair or rational in his judgment. But that's just me!
It happened after the cosmology update tbh. He was just fine when SCP still 1-B back in the days. But somehow changed when the 1-A cosmology got accepted.

Shut up loser you’re smelly!!!!

Y'know I ain't a supporter (or even a fan) of SCP as I find SCP battleboarders in other social media platform annoying, but I'm curious-

If SCP counts as having lot of battleboarding shenanigans and some of the people who write it as having a lot of battleboarding knowledge, what about other series? For example, instant death? I mean the author is pretty clearly a battleboarder. That one is a very clear example. But what about other overpowered power fantasy series from official licensed media? Do they get the boot?

Although I do understand the arguments from that thread, this sounds like a slippery slope.

Regardless of whether SCP gets deleted off the site or not, I hope SCP supporters archive everything because the SCP pages seems like a lot of work was put into it.

Edit: And yeah, looking at that thread, SCP might actually be cooked.

Last edited:
Y'know I ain't a supporter (or even a fan) of SCP as I find SCP battleboarders in other social media platform annoying, but I'm curious-

If SCP counts as having lot of battleboarding shenanigans and some of the people who write it as having a lot of battleboarding knowledge, what about other series? For example, instant death? I mean the author is pretty clearly a battleboarder. That one is a very clear example. But what about other overpowered power fantasy series from official licensed media? Do they get the boot?

Although I do understand the arguments from that thread, this sounds like a slippery slope.

Regardless of whether SCP gets deleted off the site or not, I hope SCP supporters archive everything because the SCP pages seems like a lot of work was put into it.

Edit: And yeah, looking at that thread, SCP might actually be cooked.
Agnaa mentioned this in my discussions with him over Discord, so I'll explain my viewpoint as I did there:

I'm not familiar with Instant Death or any other LN/VN/etc that has some heavy implications of being written by a battleboarder, so I find it impossible to speak on them specifically. Given enough time and desire to investigate them, I could form an opinion. For now, speaking generally, I don't see that as a slippery slope- blocking out Suggsverse-esque writing, made with the intent of being very powerful by battleboarding standards and little else, is the precedent and existent standard. The only issue is in the application of this, for we must be certain that this is the case before just blasting away anything high tiered.

For SCP, this was always recognized as a possibility, and now it is recognized as something that is happening. The argument in favor of keeping it is not that it isn't actively happening, but rather that it is not significantly large enough to consider the verse compromised, in spite of its publicly accessible contributions.

If it could be proven to satisfaction that something like Instant Death was written just to game the standards of battleboarding (if not VSBW in particular), then it should be deleted. The slope is no more slippery than it was before.

SCP is open to theoretically anyone, also canon is not a thing there and that in general leads to some undesirable outcomes. The main problem outlined is negative influence on each other however.

Agnaa mentioned this in my discussions with him over Discord, so I'll explain my viewpoint as I did there:

I'm not familiar with Instant Death or any other LN/VN/etc that has some heavy implications of being written by a battleboarder, so I find it impossible to speak on them specifically. Given enough time and desire to investigate them, I could form an opinion. For now, speaking generally, I don't see that as a slippery slope- blocking out Suggsverse-esque writing, made with the intent of being very powerful by battleboarding standards and little else, is the precedent and existent standard. The only issue is in the application of this, for we must be certain that this is the case before just blasting away anything high tiered.

For SCP, this was always recognized as a possibility, and now it is recognized as something that is happening. The argument in favor of keeping it is not that it isn't actively happening, but rather that it is not significantly large enough to consider the verse compromised, in spite of its publicly accessible contributions.

If it could be proven to satisfaction that something like Instant Death was written just to game the standards of battleboarding (if not VSBW in particular), then it should be deleted. The slope is no more slippery than it was before.
Ok, I think this reasoning is fair even if I'm still worried about the slippery slope.

Regardless, I hope you all give SCP supporters time to archive it (there's a lot of entries) and it seems like a lot of work was put into it.
SCP is open to theoretically anyone, also canon is not a thing there and that in general leads to some undesirable outcomes. The main problem outlined is negative influence on each other however.
Noted.

SCP is under creative commons so it's not really that much of a fanfic.
I think the games could potentially be allowed only if they rely on self-contained scaling--AKA, only the materials in the game are used for scaling. Nothing directly from the SCP site. Now, if a basic SCP article is literally in the game (like Containment Breech) it can be used. But if that article has additional experiment case files on the site that aren't in the game, they won't be usable. And obviously, different games wouldn't scale to each other unless they were made as a canon series by the same creator(s), like with the Slender Man games/series/movies.
God no y'all are getting this so horribly incorrect I have to stop backreading and respond immediately.
  1. We do not decide whether something is fanfiction based on broadly-granted copyright exemptions. Otherwise we would need to treat most Touhou fanfics as canon.
  2. Jaften's answer is incomprehensibly different from our standards on fanfiction. Relying on "self-contained scaling" does not matter, and doesn't even make sense conceptually (if it's in the game, it would be self-contained; that's just how literally every single series on our website gets indexed).
  3. We haven't allowed such SCP games on the site for years upon years. Deleting it would not change that to have us allow them, why on earth would it?

Back