• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Real World Discussion Thread

So uhh... Apparently T. Rexes are intelligent: https://www.sciencealert.com/weve-probably-been-wrong-about-t-rex-again-new-study-says

The fug are we gonna do about that?
Funny lol.

Keep in mind what goes into the studies and the fact that we're digging up scarce cases of prehistoric animals accidentally positioning themselves to leave a track on the fossil record. Which is how we know that these animals exist.

The study is pretty recent, so maybe give it a month or two and check their methodology first before jumping to conclusions. Though since dino carnivores are smarter than their prey on average, I wouldn't be surprised if the T. Rex was that intelligent at High Animalistic.

Funny lol.

Keep in mind what goes into the studies and the fact that we're digging up scarce cases of prehistoric animals accidentally positioning themselves to leave a track on the fossil record. Which is how we know that these animals exist.

The study is pretty recent, so maybe give it a month or two and check their methodology first before jumping to conclusions. Though since dino carnivores are smarter than their prey on average, I wouldn't be surprised if the T. Rex was that intelligent at High Animalistic.
No need. We got the methodology (based on their hypothetical neurology) and there is already controversy claiming that neurology alone isn't enough to determine an extinct creature's intelligence. I don't think T. Rexes are exactly going to stack up to primates, although at the very least there would be one favorable trait going for the animal (them being social animals).

I was wondering if anybody could answer a question I have about Reactions and Perceptions. The Star-Nosed Mole page says that it has subsonic reactions, as after detecting an object. it can discern it from edible to inedible food in 25-8 milliseconds. However, doesn’t a reaction require the mole to have performed some sort of action in that time frame for it to work? To perceive something is to simply sense its presence and nothing more, while to react to an event is to do something in response to the stimuli. The mole’s feat seems to be between these two definitions.

I was wondering if anybody could answer a question I have about Reactions and Perceptions. The Star-Nosed Mole page says that it has subsonic reactions, as after detecting an object. it can discern it from edible to inedible food in 25-8 milliseconds. However, doesn’t a reaction require the mole to have performed some sort of action in that time frame for it to work? To perceive something is to simply sense its presence and nothing more, while to react to an event is to do something in response to the stimuli. The mole’s feat seems to be between these two definitions.
Then that's more of a perception feat than a reaction feat.

Back