• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Uchiha Madara - manga page used as a foundation for scaling completely misinterpreted.

Hello. Hopefully this is the right place for this but I have noticed a few mistakes in how the manga has been interpreted and a few of them seem to be the foundation for scaling Madara. Apologies for any mistakes, this is my first post and I'm new to this c:

I'd like to draw everyone's attention to page 9 of chapter 671

For some reason this has been interpreted as a scale of power when in fact Hagoromo is talking about something akin to a "Skill Tree". Every single time that "power" is mentioned it refers to a power and not an amount of power.

• Ten Tails Jinchuriki - a power
  • Hagoromo stating that Madara is getting close to him - SO6P with the Yin half of the rinnegan; a power and that power set would be complete once Madara gets the second half (Yang rinnegan) of that dojutsu back from Obito.

Hagoromo then states that Madara is trying to attain Kaguya's power and goes on to detail those powers. So far no scale or level of power has been mentioned and it never is.
  • Infinite Tsukuyomi - a power
  • God: Nativity of a World of Trees - everyone attached to the Divine Tree which acts as a giant chakra battery (likely much more too, especially taking Boruto in to consideration); another "power"
  • Rinnesharingan - another power / skill
  • Byakugan - same again, power / skill

So a scale or power level is never mentioned and every time power is mentioned it refers to powers / skills / abilities (10t Host, SO6P, rinnegan, rinnesharingan, infinite Tsukuyomi etc etc) yet this page was somehow accepted as referring to a scale of power which placed Madara between the Ten Tails and Hagoromo. I see other mistakes and misinterpretations too but as this is often used as a foundation for scaling Madara it seemed like the most appropriate place to start. Hagoromo isn't stating that Madara is between the Ten Tails and himself on a scale of power with Kaguya at the top but actually stating that Madara is completing a skill tree with all of his own and his mother's skills on.

Last edited:
You are trying to give the statement the context on the page but that's not the correct context for the statement at all.

The statement about Madaras power starts with "the current Madara is a perfect example… ". Example of what? That's the context. This is what the previous panels say and what Hagoromo is referring to.
Screenshot-2024-01-27-17-22-05-325-eu-kanade-tachiyomi-edit.jpg

Hagoromo is talking about power being concentrated within one person, and that person becoming possessed by it. The wording and meaning of the statement very clearly refers to power itself, not powers as in abilities.

You are trying to give the statement the context on the page but that's not the correct context for the statement at all.

The statement about Madaras power starts with "the current Madara is a perfect example… ". Example of what? That's the context. This is what the previous panels say and what Hagoromo is referring to.
Screenshot-2024-01-27-17-22-05-325-eu-kanade-tachiyomi-edit.jpg

Hagoromo is talking about power being concentrated within one person, and that person becoming possessed by it. The wording and meaning of the statement very clearly refers to power itself, not powers as in abilities.

Actually I am using the context that is given. Here's page 7 from the same chapter:

"So Obsessed with power that he stole some of Hashirama's" - what power is this? Hashirama's bloodline abilities (kekkei genkei)

"... Resulted in the derivation of my own chakra's power, the rinnegan" - the power Hagoromo states is the rinnegan Kekkei Moura.

Page 7, power refers to individual powers. No mention of a level or amount, no scale but individual powers.

Now for the page (chapter 671 page 8) you were kind enough to supply.

"... Chakra is a power that links individuals" - aka Ninshu, another power / ability/ skill

"... My mother's power eventually gave rise to hubris" - power that is in part detailed on the next page; power that isn't so much an amount but a collection of powers / abilities (kekkei Moura), powers that were her own but also powers granted from merging with the divine tree.

Even the part you've highlighted doesn't refer to an amount of power perse but power granted from individual abilities / powers. A "power set" which itself grants immense power. It wasn't the amount of chakra that made them all so powerful but the individual abilities which granted powers such as CoaT, the Six Paths Techniques, Infinite Tsukuyomi, God: Nativity of a World of Trees etc etc.

I've used the context given in the 3 pages posted in this thread, power always refers to individual powers. That is the context, Hagoromo is not talking of a scale from the Ten Tails to Kaguya with himself and Madara in the middle but individual powers that makes up a beings total power.

"So Obsessed with power that he stole some of Hashirama's" - what power is this? Hashirama's bloodline abilities (kekkei genkei)

"... Resulted in the derivation of my own chakra's power, the rinnegan" - the power Hagoromo states is the rinnegan Kekkei Moura.
Those are completely different statements referring to something completely different tho. I'm not denying that power can mean ability. But the context that Madara is compared to Hagoromo clearly indicates overall strength, not just abilities.
"... My mother's power eventually gave rise to hubris" - power that is in part detailed on the next page; power that isn't so much an amount but a collection of powers / abilities (kekkei Moura), powers that were her own but also powers granted from merging with the divine tree.
I don’t see any reason to why this would strictly be referring to abilities.
Even the part you've highlighted doesn't refer to an amount of power perse but power granted from individual abilities / powers. A "power set" which itself grants immense power. It wasn't the amount of chakra that made them all so powerful but the individual abilities which granted powers such as CoaT, the Six Paths Techniques, Infinite Tsukuyomi, God: Nativity of a World of Trees etc etc.
That is quite literally a headcanon. A good power set 99% of the time doesn't grant immense power by itself. Most abilities in the verse are useless if the user is not strong enough.
I've used the context given in the 3 pages posted in this thread, power always refers to individual powers. That is the context, Hagoromo is not talking of a scale from the Ten Tails to Kaguya with himself and Madara in the middle but individual powers that makes up a beings total power.
You have given nothing but headcanons. You equate 10 tails power to abilities even tho the most impressive thing about gaining its power is the strength and speed one gains. You equate Kaguya getting possessed by power to her abilities even tho literally nothing implies so, and the wording very much implies otherwise.

Actually I can push this even further. The scan verbatim says "so that the caster can use your individual power while you're asleep" when talking about IT in the first scan you sent. The IT caster has never once been shown or even implied to gain the abilities of those in the genjutsu. What they do get access to is their chakra (which we actually see Kaguya use). Meaning that's yet another case of the word power referring to strength not abilities.
Your interpretation is based solely on headcanons that the word power is referring to something else then, yk, power.

Those are completely different statements referring to something completely different tho. I'm not denying that power can mean ability. But the context that Madara is compared to Hagoromo clearly indicates overall strength, not just abilities.
No, they're separate statements with the same theme (so referring to the same thing in essence).

The statement that Hagoromo makes regarding
Madara has more to do with powers / skills than just an amount of power - even if those skills grant the same level of power, looking at it the way it is currently (and incorrectly) interpreted is backwards.
I explained this in my first post, look at the Madara Hagoromo is referring to; SO6P Madara with the Yin half of the rinnegan dojutsu, once he gains the second half (Yang) he has all of Hagoromo's power (both the energy granted by being the TT jinchuriki and the abilities such as 6P chakra, SPS, etc and the rinnegan Kekkei Moura). Both Obito and Madara had a similar level of power to one another (granted Obito's TT had a smaller portion of 8 and 9 tails) but their abilities were completely different because they both had a different half of the dojutsu. The power that Hagoromo is talking about is his ability granted through the numerous genetic abilities (rinnegan etc etc).
He is talking about a skill set, that skill set may grant access to a tier of power but the way it's currently interpreted is back to front.
Look at the following panel for additional context:

Hagoromo is talking about the powers granted from having both the Yin and Yang halves of the dojutsu.
I don’t see any reason to why this would strictly be referring to abilities.
... abilities such as controlling the environment, merging with nature, placing people under IT, God: Nativity of a World of Trees

That is quite literally a headcanon. A good power set 99% of the time doesn't grant immense power by itself. Most abilities in the verse are useless if the user is not strong enough.
No it isn't and actually 99% of the time it does. Dojutsu are coveted in the series because... They grant immense power. Kekkei genkei give an incredible advantage because? You have just accused me of headcanon with headcanon. Let's keep it civil and not sling mud David.

You have given nothing but headcanons. You equate 10 tails power to abilities even tho the most impressive thing about gaining its power is the strength and speed one gains. You equate Kaguya getting possessed by power to her abilities even tho literally nothing implies so, and the wording very much implies otherwise.

The irony. The most impressive thing the the TT gives is the amount of energy the host receives? What good is that without the kekkei? Goodbye TSO, goodbye Six Path chakra release, good bye wood release, goodbye Senjutsu.
David you are misinterpreting what's written not me, take away all of Kaguya's abilities and what use is that monumental amount of energy? It's basically useless at that point. No dojutsu, no Six Path chakra, no Senjutsu, no immortality, nothing. She's a mass of energy with no way to use it.

Actually I can push this even further. The scan verbatim says "so that the caster can use your individual power while you're asleep" when talking about IT in the first scan you sent. The IT caster has never once been shown or even implied to gain the abilities of those in the genjutsu. What they do get access to is their chakra (which we actually see Kaguya use). Meaning that's yet another case of the word power referring to strength not abilities.
Your interpretation is based solely on headcanons that the word power is referring to something else then, yk, power
You know there something very similar to God: Nativity of a World of Trees (this is actually the technique that grants the power, Infinite Tsukuyomi is the Genjutsu but this is the ability that connects you to the Divine Tree) in Boruto, we see those that have been bitten and are asleep inside a tree have their powers being used by their Shinju clone counterparts.
I'm sorry David but it's second rate to try and use an apparent lack of this in Naruto when you don't know where Kaguya got all of her abilities (such as her taijutsu techniques, they're stated to be bloodline abilities) and the fact that people were attached to the tree for an incredibly short amount of time.
Please bear in mind that the Shinju is stated to absorb all genetic data from a planet, there is nothing to support your claim.
What is the "other" case? So far there have been none. You've accused me of using headcanon multiple times when so far you're the only one to do so. Let's keep it civil and change the tone?

Critical thought does not come naturally to everyone, maybe you can try a "thought exercise"? Just believe what I've told you and read the chapter a few times, really believe it and see the interpretation when reading the chapter. After that go back and question your new belief. There's no harm and it's better than "no, that's not what I believe!".

Thanks for the engagement, it's a discussion so let's keep a positive tone brother c:

This statement says too much power in one person corrupts them; it doesn't speak about how much power there is. Also, given the chakra difference between Madara and Kaguya, Madara clearly achieved her power (context: rinnesharingan) without being as powerful as her. Hagoromo states Madara has become just like Kaguya, and he didn't have the sharinnegan + god tree yet, nor his second rinnegan.

Yeah lets not do this, you can get your points across without being weird
What part was weird? I've made points which were met with a negative tone and no real consideration, I've found that to be typical for these kinds of communities. I don't think it's weird to ask for those points to be considered (humans generally do not like to question held beliefs) or a more positive tone.

I do exactly the same myself, it's a very beneficial process for ensuring the integrity of any "knowledge". I'm aware of the currently accepted interpretation and I've gone over those scenes repeatedly from both perspectives. I've been reading Naruto since chapters were released and re-read the manga too many times.

Contribute to the thread by going over those points, attacking the format doesn't bring anything to the discussion.

The context for "power" is given in those pages, not once does it refer to a scale. Every time it's used it is referring to powers (many of which are quite literally listed).

Does Madara fighting against Naruto and Sasuke who gained Hago's power not support him being on his level?

Sorry I'm lost 😅

Were they asking for the thread to be locked or just for input?

Can you comment on the interpretation? I do not see any reference to a scale which is the current understanding but instead to abilities / skills (kekkei I guess). To me this it is as if Hagoromo is describing a skill tree and Madara's intent to max it out xD

Can someone tag members who are often involved in Naruto threads?

Does Madara fighting against Naruto and Sasuke who gained Hago's power not support him being on his level?
That's not really the point of the post. I believe I have the correct interpretation of what was stated. I see these scenes being used as a scale which I believe to be a misinterpretation of them. I'd like to rectify that before other stuff which is beyond the scope of a single thread.

If you look at this panel you will also see why Sasuke and Naruto do not possess all of Hagoromo's powers. It also explains why Sasuke never demonstrated all of the Six Paths Techniques (he only possesses the Yin rinnegan and does not have all 6/7 chakra release)

If Madara was almost on Hagoromo's level than he would have completely surpassed it with the second half of the rinnegan dojutsu since he goes from 1 to 4 limbo clones. But really that's not the point of the thread, I would just like to correct the interpretation of these pages before moving on to other stuff. Personally I do not believe Madara has been scaled correctly due to these initial misinterpretations and would like to discuss them with a community that is qualified to talk on such things.

Sorry I'm lost 😅

Were they asking for the thread to be locked or just for input?
He was asking us for input.
Can you comment on the interpretation? I do not see any reference to a scale which is the current understanding but instead to abilities / skills (kekkei I guess). To me this it is as if Hagoromo is describing a skill tree and Madara's intent to max it out xD
I think it's a decently possible interpretation tbh.

Coincidentally, I've had @Shadowbokunohero translate the raws for this very scan recently, just for my own personal knowledge.

It came out to roughly this:
"Right now, Madara is exactly as if he was Mother herself ! Having completed his reincarnation as Indra's successor, he has gained the power of the Ten Tails and is approaching me even seeking to approach the power of mother kaguya herself."

What's interesting is that right after Hagoromo says this, he immediately goes on to mention the Infinite Tsukuyomi, mentioning that it's an ability Kaguya made use of through the POWER of her Dōjutsu. So, one can easily argue the "power" Hagoromo is referring to in this scan is in reference to abilities.
An argument that may strengthen that approach is that Obito has also been likened to Hagoromo on a number of occasions, and it's always in reference to abilities and physiology, rather than raw power.

But, to be completely honest, I have zero interest in debating anymore God Tier scaling at the moment. I neither have the time nor willpower for that rn, so yeah.
Can someone tag members who are often involved in Naruto threads?
I'm sure they'll pop up soon.

That's not really the point of the post. I believe I have the correct interpretation of what was stated. I see these scenes being used as a scale which I believe to be a misinterpretation of them. I'd like to rectify that before other stuff which is beyond the scope of a single thread.
For one never believe what you interpret is always correct, you may just be unable to see you're wrong.

If you look at this panel you will also see why Sasuke and Naruto do not possess all of Hagoromo's powers. It also explains why Sasuke never demonstrated all of the Six Paths Techniques (he only possesses the Yin rinnegan and does not have all 6/7 chakra release)
I'm referring to the chakra increase they got from Hagoromo, not his abilities. Naruto comes out and one shots the tree and Madara, Madara then absorbs the tree and he's now able to fight on par with both Sasuke and Naruto. The feats and power Madara is obtaining support more that Madara has reached Hagoromo's power than it being about him obtaining special powers.

Does anyone have access to the raws for the page so we can see what an alternative translation could be?

For one never believe what you interpret is always correct, you may just be unable to see you're wrong.
I don't, I gave advice on exactly this. I don't just come up with something and believe it blindly I test it rigorously believing both sides and going back and forth. For me the interpretation I have ended up on is the correct one, the context is all over those three pages and only powers (abilities / skills) are ever mentioned

I'm referring to the chakra increase they got from Hagoromo, not his abilities. Naruto comes out and one shots the tree and Madara, Madara then absorbs the tree and he's now able to fight on par with both Sasuke and Naruto. The feats and power Madara is obtaining support more that Madara has reached Hagoromo's power than it being about him obtaining special powers.
I don't know if the tree gave him such an increase in chakra (though it was rooted so would have been absorbing energy from the planet no doubt). He'd just got an absolute pasting from Guy remember. Incidentally there is something to discuss about merging with that tree (which is in fact the Shinju + Kaguya that was merged with) but that's for another thread.

Last edited:
He was asking us for input.

I think it's a decently possible interpretation tbh.

Coincidentally, I've had @Shadowbokunohero translate the raws for this very scan recently, just for my own personal knowledge.

It came out to roughly this:
"Right now, Madara is exactly as if he was Mother herself ! Having completed his reincarnation as Indra's successor, he has gained the power of the Ten Tails and is approaching me even seeking to approach the power of mother kaguya herself."

That's really cool. I understand that only the raws can be considered canon as so much can be lost in translation and official translations can often be really strange.

What's interesting is that right after Hagoromo says this, he immediately goes on to mention the Infinite Tsukuyomi, mentioning that it's an ability Kaguya made use of through the POWER of her Dōjutsu. So, one can easily argue the "power" Hagoromo is referring to in this scan is in reference to abilities.
An argument that may strengthen that approach is that Obito has also been likened to Hagoromo on a number of occasions, and it's always in reference to abilities and physiology, rather than raw power.

Every time it's mentioned it seems to be in reference to something like a skill or ability. Even the Ten Tails statement reads as such too me, personally I believe it's real power is it's genetic data and not the amount of raw energy it possesses (obviously there's a relation).

But, to be completely honest, I have zero interest in debating anymore God Tier scaling at the moment. I neither have the time nor willpower for that rn, so yeah.

I'm sure they'll pop up soon.

Shame! Hopefully Madara gets some kind of upgrade because I've always found it strange that he's seen as weaker than Kaguya due to having less chakra when he's a SO6P on top of having her powers too. That dojutsu is truly of the gods and it's a shame it was never truly explored at the SO6P level.

Something else I'd like to discuss 😅

She has magnitudes more chakra than Team 7 combined but how'd that work out for her?

Also how much is "far greater"? £1,250,000 is far greater than £1,000,000 and that's 25%. I never really put too much thought in to it but 50% more sounded right, twice as much seems like a highball but I'm okay with that too. How exactly is the difference calculated? We only really have what's illustrated (chakra seen flowing in to Madara) and an ambiguous (imho) statement to go one, has the difference been calculated?

That difference in chakra can be made up for I believe, the difference is far less than the difference between their primary dojutsu (kekkei Moura rinnegan Vs kekkei Moura Byakugan?). I believe the physical stat increase from that chakra should be surpassed by the physical stat increase from the Ashura Path. I digress though, I'd planned for a few threads (including one discussing that exact statement along with other relevant points) but figured it was best to discuss a single point per thread.

She has magnitudes more chakra than Team 7 combined but how'd that work out for her?
Wdym? She sucks at fighting and had Zetsu in her ear the whole time, plus she wanted to take their chakra at first no? And only lost due to Sakura's mental amp, Kakashi gaining a susanoo with kamui kunais, and then got sealed by Hago's ability.

Also how much is "far greater"? £1,250,000 is far greater than £1,000,000 and that's 25%. I never really put too much thought in to it but 50% more sounded right, twice as much seems like a highball but I'm okay with that too. How exactly is the difference calculated? We only really have what's illustrated (chakra seen flowing in to Madara) and an ambiguous (imho) statement to go one, has the difference been calculated?

That difference in chakra can be made up for I believe, the difference is far less than the difference between their primary dojutsu (kekkei Moura rinnegan Vs kekkei Moura Byakugan?). I believe the physical stat increase from that chakra should be surpassed by the physical stat increase from the Ashura Path. I digress though, I'd planned for a few threads (including one discussing that exact statement along with other relevant points) but figured it was best to discuss a single point per thread.
What you should be looking at is what said before.
Incredible chakra
Way stronger than ten tails
Was gonna explode from the amount
Couldn't believe she existed

So the 25% or 50% don't convey whats being conveyed for the amount she has, its likely an astronomical difference if anything.
Also went to check raw and it says something slightly different,

このチャクラ・・・ マダラなど
比じゃない

This chakra...Madara etc
Not a comparison

The trans had first came out saying that it was incomparable to Madara and others, I think the etc is basically that in the trans I sent basically just saying no one else compared

Last edited:
Wdym? She sucks at fighting and had Zetsu in her ear the whole time, plus she wanted to take their chakra at first no? And only lost due to Sakura's mental amp, Kakashi gaining a susanoo with kamui kunais, and then got sealed by Hago's ability.
I know, she is basically a power levelled noob. Also aware, there was no killing intent until Zetsu pointed out she needed to kill them.
You left ninjutsu (like clones), Sasuke's rinnegan, Naruto having TB chakra, Obito's contributions (including Sasuke's retrieval), (potentially) Byakugan's blindspot (she was completely unaware of Sakura it seemed and I don't believe that was because she didn't see her as any kind of threat), and a whole boatload of luck off that list.

My point was that having far greater chakra doesn't mean she's more powerful than Madara, I believe that the rinnegan alone makes up for any difference in the amount of chakra between them.

What you should be looking at is what said before.
Incredible chakra
Way stronger than ten tails
Was gonna explode from the amount
Couldn't believe she existed

So the 25% or 50% don't convey whats being conveyed for the amount she has, its likely an astronomical difference if anything.
I'm somewhat familiar with the series. I never stated it was 25% the point was that +25% would be far greater.
50% is compatible with every one of those things, that's an absolutely massive amount. A 50% increase could also be said to be astronomical - our own planets population increases by 50% in an instant...

Madara had no control over his body which should be taken in to consideration but a whole 50% additional chakra being forced in to his body in such a short amount of time could do that.
50% more energy than the Ten Tails is absolutely huge.

Has the amount actually been calculated? 50% is compatible with all of those scans. Double the amount sure but astronomical suggests magnitudes more and given everything that's been stated that seems unreasonable.

She was the sacrifice and Earth's Ten Tails was clearly special, prior to coming to earth I do not believe her personal chakra pool would have been that large (nowhere close to the 10t on earth, nowhere close to the juvenile 10t Isshiki was using).
She should have had far more chakra than she did prior to being sealed the first time given the propagation of life on Earth in the thousands of years she was sealed but how much more than Madara?
The tree was absorbing energy whilst it was rooted, this is surely why it grew / evolved whilst Obito planned to use it?

I'm somewhat familiar with the series. I never stated it was 25% the point was that +25% would be far greater.
50% is compatible with every one of those things, that's an absolutely massive amount. A 50% increase could also be said to be astronomical - our own planets population increases by 50% in an instant...
25% just isn't far greater nor is 50% is my point though. Sasuke saw her chakra and couldn't believe she existed, a small increase of 25 or 50 just doesn't convey the increase. Take into inconsideration everything else that was said lmao.

Why are we even entertaining all of these random numbers here? The point is that Kaguya is > Madara, in the same way that Madara is > Obito.
There's no specified increase or gap, and any attempt to quantify it with numbers is just arbitrary and pointless.

Oh, and yeah, it's major derailment lol.

Last edited:
25% just isn't far greater nor is 50% is my point though. Sasuke saw her chakra and couldn't believe she existed, a small increase of 25 or 50 just doesn't convey the increase. Take into inconsideration everything else that was said lmao.
50% is absolutely huge when it's on top of a large number already, that's how percentages work brother. 50% is compatible but we have derailed the thread 😅

Let's pick this up another time in another thread.

What do you think about the topic at hand?

Something else I'd like to discuss 😅

You were doing so well but you lost the plot comparing Kaguya to Madara and all this extra stuff 😭 😭 😭

Back