• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Uncompositing the Dragon Ball Cosmology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sticking true to dragon balls roots is not proof for a shared cosmology this is just them explaining on how they made filler that would fit into the dragon ball story.
"Understanding of the DB world." Another reason they'd have the same cosmology is that the Anime and Manga share the cosmology diagram made by Toriyama, and as they state in that interview, they stay faithful to the original DB world with anything Anime original.

That doesn't answer my question. I'm not looking for you to disprove the argument FOR it being the same cosmology. I'm looking for you to prove the argument AGAINST it being the same.
I detailed my points and why they weren't enough. I don't see why I would have the burden of proof when I addressed the so called proof for it being the same with already existing evidence..

"Understanding of the DB world." Another reason they'd have the same cosmology is that the Anime and Manga share the cosmology diagram made by Toriyama, and as they state in that interview, they stay faithful to the original DB world with anything Anime original.
Ok cool? This is literally referring to how people at Toei had to understand DB in order to make the anime adaptation this isn't proof of a shared cosmology and is referring to the DB franchise and not cosmology. Staying faithful to source material is not grounds for being a parallel world nor does sharing traits or certain aspects of cosmology (I mean for crying out loud it's dragon ball and they want it to BE dragon ball so of course there will be large similarities).

I never said it's "never the cosmology" but proving that extends to the cosmology too is your burden, not mines.
Yes you really do, you have to prove the claim that they are different, which you have not done yet.
I'm not the one making a claim. If your argument is that they should be assumed to be the same by default without evidence and anyone challenging this assumption must prove it, you'll find little reception to that as that isn't how a burden of proof works.

Well I guess I’m back from my VSBW break

This scan from the daizenshuu literally tells us it’s a future world and alternate history in relation to the Anime and Original Work (Manga) I don’t understand how Future World and Alternate History being used isn’t sufficient for an alternate timeline

this along with the other statements

Some of the movies are even called parallel worlds (which are what timelines are literally called) and different worlds which matches up with what’s said on the toei website and with what Toriyama said Arale being aware of the existence of GT is also proof of that

This post from Pineapple shows us timelines being called different worlds, parallel worlds, and different histories.

If you can prove it only refers to the events and never the cosmology that'd be ideal.
Ok cool? This is literally referring to how people at Toei had to understand DB in order to make the anime adaptation this isn't proof of a shared cosmology and is referring to the DB franchise and not cosmology. Staying faithful to source material is not grounds for being a parallel world nor does sharing traits or certain aspects of cosmology (I mean for crying out loud it's dragon ball and they want it to BE dragon ball so of course there will be large similarities).
Instead of this endless repeat we are having right now, how about you guys discuss this new evidence that ice brought up? Repeating yourselves for 6 pages will not help, no one wants the thread to go that far now do we?

The thread likely won't go that far, this already has enough votes to pass. Once the 48 hour grace period lapses this will be applied unless other staff are persuaded by the oppositions arguments.

I'm not saying it's proof of a literal shared cosmology at all, but rather that they're structurally the same regardless and that it makes information from the anime valid for the manga, since the former is made to be faithful to the latter in that regard.

Well I guess I’m back from my VSBW break

This scan from the daizenshuu literally tells us it’s a future world and alternate history in relation to the Anime and Original Work (Manga) I don’t understand how Future World and Alternate History being used isn’t sufficient for an alternate timeline

this along with the other statements

Some of the movies are even called parallel worlds (which are what timelines are literally called) and different worlds which matches up with what’s said on the toei website and with what Toriyama said Arale being aware of the existence of GT is also proof of that

This post from Pineapple shows us timelines being called different worlds, parallel worlds, and different histories.

The "it can be said" is an uncertain or unprecise statement that can be taken in many ways. Plus even if movies were a parallel world it would be exclusive to the manga as Toriyama said and not necessarily support a shared cosmology between Super and Toei anime.
Regarding direct information from the author/creator of a character: We do not use statements from them that are phrased in an uncertain, uncaring, and/or unspecific manner, such as "Could be", "Maybe", "Probably", "Possibly" etcetera.

It is purely an assumption that these side stories are under a shared cosmology rather than separate cosmologies. Nothing you've quoted has indicated that.
No, that's not how burden of proof would apply in this instance. Parallel worlds are assumed to have similar cosmologies until proven otherwise.

75iJ5rK.jpg

Under MWI and similar concepts of splitting timelines, branched space-times are expected to have the same cosmological construction. Quantum properties like energy, angular momentum, and electrical charge are conserved as space-times split off. Each branch follows a distinct trajectory in how quantum states evolve, but they retain a history of the past quantum states leading up to the branching event in question. When a quantum event forces timelines to split, the history of each branch is not expected to change retroactively. Each branch follows a coherent sequence of events that includes the states of quantum systems leading up to the branching event. This conservation of history is an essential aspect of MWI that maintains the integrity of each branch as it evolves independently.

Some things have to be proven, other things are assumed true until disproven. All known theories of splitting timelines would suggest a shared cosmological makeup between parallel worlds, the burden of proof actually lies on the opposition to explain the reason for alternate timelines in Dragon Ball not having a shared spatial makeup.

I'm not the one making a claim. If your argument is that they should be assumed to be the same by default without evidence and anyone challenging this assumption must prove it, you'll find little reception to that as that isn't how a burden of proof works.
There's this thing (don't know if you have ever heard of it) called Occam's razor which states "the simplest explanation that will account for a circumstance or event is most likely the correct explanation." It is far more logical and simple to make the base assumption that a 2 shows in the same verse shown to have similarities in cosmology and has no differences in cosmology along with being implied to have the same cosmology by the creator of the verse is infact the same cosmology 😱.

No, that's not how burden of proof would apply in this instance. Parallel worlds are assumed to have similar cosmologies until proven otherwise.

75iJ5rK.jpg

Under MWI and similar concepts of splitting timelines, branched space-times are expected to have the same cosmological construction. Quantum properties like energy, angular momentum, and electrical charge are conserved as space-times split off. Each branch follows a distinct trajectory in how quantum states evolve, but they retain a history of the past quantum states leading up to the branching event in question. When a quantum event forces timelines to split, the history of each branch is not expected to change retroactively. Each branch follows a coherent sequence of events that includes the states of quantum systems leading up to the branching event. This conservation of history is an essential aspect of MWI that maintains the integrity of each branch as it evolves independently.

Some things have to be proven, other things are assumed true until disproven. All known theories of splitting timelines would suggest a shared cosmological makeup between parallel worlds, the burden of proof actually lies on the opposition to explain the reason for alternate timelines in Dragon Ball not having a shared spatial makeup.
Similar cosmology is not proof they are under the same multiverse in MWI but yes MWI would imply a similar cosmology. The argument in the first place is Toei anime is not an alternate timeline.

Similar cosmology is not proof they are under the same multiverse in MWI but yes MWI would imply a similar cosmology. The argument in the first place is Toei anime is not an alternate timeline.
But it is, the arguments have been very weak so far. And you guys still have no proof the cosmologies are not the same, or that toei and gt are alternate timelines. Other than, "toriyama is headcanon".

The "it can be said" is an uncertain or unprecise statement that can be taken in many ways. Plus even if movies were a parallel world it would be exclusive to the manga as Toriyama said and not necessarily support a shared cosmology between Super and Toei anime.
This doesn’t address my Trunks scan still and if it applies to the DBZ manga then it’s canon to DBS anime and DBS manga the way we treat it now since we accept

DBZ Manga -> DBS Anime & Manga (Continuations of Z manga)

The thread likely won't go that far, this already has enough votes to pass. Once the 48 hour grace period lapses this will be applied unless other staff are persuaded by the oppositions arguments.
Pretty sure DDM disagreed so I think we’ll need more disagrees still but can you also address my arguments?

Okay, forgive me if I sound dumb here, I'm only a Mild Dragon Ball lore guy, but what can you even uncomposite out of the the Cosmology, short the Multiverse and irrelevant smaller dimensional spaces?

GT's Universe and the Universe of the Films are all based on the Original Manga's, which was properly established in the Daizenshuu. We clearly see this with concepts like Otherworld and the general films that are literally reliant on canon happening (with events tweaked.)

The only difference between the cosmologies I can think of that would actually be relevant to anything not Super is the Multiverse. Which, you know, isn't relevant to any of GT's lore/scaling/doesn't interfere with literally anything because the films are canon to GT.

Edit: By Multiverse, not only am I including U1-12, but also the larger Timeline/Hypertimeline that Super is involved in.

Last edited:
It's not "scrutiny for the sake of scrutiny." You are also scrutinizing the conclusion that they lack a shared cosmology, are you doing that just for the sake of scrutiny?
A refusal to believe it is evidence doesn’t actually make it not evidence

This is not a good attempt at a “gotcha.” I’m against this conclusion because demanding to be spoonfed information rather than being able to extrapolate it is a horrible idea to me

That's a really shallow nitpick of a minor wording choice by the translator, "could say" can also be meant in the sense that it's actually able to be taken that way.
ef84dce30daf01d74bd47f213b954451.png

Anyway, in the raw version, the statement's "平行世界的な出来事といえる "which is "can be said it's events of a parallel world." The phrase といえる means moreso "can be said" in the sense of being able to do so, not really in a speculative sense, especially given the context here.
といえる (examples)

And I'm pretty sure Toeiverse is considered canon to all the movies, even if the vice versa isn't always true (i.e. Movie 8 LSSJ Broly is it's own dimension and not part of Toeiverse, but the vice versa up to that point is true).

That's a really shallow nitpick of a minor wording choice by the translator, "could say" can also be meant in the sense that it's actually able to be taken that way.
ef84dce30daf01d74bd47f213b954451.png

Anyway, in the raw version, the statement's "平行世界的な出来事といえる "which is "can be said it's events of a parallel world." The phrase といえる means moreso "can be said" in the sense of being able to do so, not really in a speculative sense, especially given the context here.

And I'm pretty sure Toeiverse is considered canon to all the movies, even if the vice versa isn't always true (i.e. Movie 8 LSSJ Broly is it's own dimension and not part of Toeiverse, but the vice versa up to that point is true).
There's never anything that says it was an alternate timeline to toeiverse and since we have a statement of it being a different dimension to the manga then we use that only. Even if GT used stuff from the movies that doesn't prove alternate timelines as it's WITHIN the timeline and that GT simply adapts some of the movies into itself. It's same logic as Super anime being a continuation of the manga despite being owned by Toei since there's an actual statement to say it's a continuation from the manga.

I don't necessarily see how my statement is a nitpick as even then the statement is too vague and japanese isn't a language with narrow context "being able to do so" isn't concise either and still has same issue.

To clarify, I'm not for or against the compositing/uncompositing of the Cosmology.

I'm specifically asking how that even would effect the things you're trying to remove from each other. GT's Universe is still a Macrocosm identical to U7 in DBS in every way (due to it's Uni being established in the OG Manga/Daizenshuu).

So even if you took away the "DBS Cosmology," the 2-C feats from the DBZ Anime should still apply to GT, (as it's universe is literally identical short a Hakaishin and insignificant Dimensional Spaces) and so do the films. So nothing would change for those stories, because they literally don't try to touch the Multiverse, or Hypertimelines.

To clarify, I'm not for or against the compositing/uncompositing of the Cosmology.

I'm specifically asking how that even would effect the things you're trying to remove from each other. GT's Universe is still a Macrocosm identical to U7 in DBS in every way (due to it's Uni being established in the OG Manga/Daizenshuu).

So even if you took away the "DBS Cosmology," the 2-C feats from the DBZ Anime should still apply to GT, (as it's universe is literally identical short a Hakaishin and insignificant Dimensional Spaces) and so do the films. So nothing would change for those stories, because they literally don't try to touch the Multiverse, or Hypertimelines.
This is for another thread to discuss possible changes if any.

A refusal to believe it is evidence doesn’t actually make it not evidence

This is not a good attempt at a “gotcha.” I’m against this conclusion because demanding to be spoonfed information rather than being able to extrapolate it is a horrible idea to me
Extrapolate is just a fancy way to say assuming when we're referring to information that doesn't actually indicate what you're arguing for, and would still be valid if the opposite were true.

This is for another thread to discuss possible changes if any.
Sure, if that was what I was asking, but what I'm asking is what you're even uncompositing, not whatever scaling changes need to be made. No matter what, the Universe's Cosmology is the same, short the things I mentioned, all of which are irrelevant to each other.

Are you simply only removing the hypertimeline and multiverse (as well as those minor dimensional spaces?)

Why are you trying to say the films cosmology would be different when their Universes, based on the Daizenshuu's own model, would still be identical to U7 no matter what?

My questions are: What are you ACTUALLY CHANGING? WHAT are you UNCOMPOSITING?

Because from what I can see, the only things you're altering are the things that don't matter. (To their individual stories.)

There's never anything that says it was an alternate timeline to toeiverse and since we have a statement of it being a different dimension to the manga then we use that only. Even if GT used stuff from the movies that doesn't prove alternate timelines as it's WITHIN the timeline and that GT simply adapts some of the movies into itself. It's same logic as Super anime being a continuation of the manga despite being owned by Toei since there's an actual statement to say it's a continuation from the manga.

I don't necessarily see how my statement is a nitpick as even then the statement is too vague and japanese isn't a language with narrow context.
The Daizenshuu proposes "it can be considered a parallel world" due to the timeline differences between it and the main story. When you consider that context, it's pretty clear it's meant to be taken as fact rather than speculation, considering the timeline differences it acknowledges and the fact it's not part of the main story it bases that idea on are regarded as fact by the Daizenshuu.

There's no other alternative interpretation here either to try and discredit it because "context" in the first place, all the movies are already validated to exist as dimensions, since the Daizenshuu rules it out of the main Toei timeline.

How is it derailing to ask what the CRT is trying to do? (In more specific terms than already given)?
A lot of evidence will be now inapplicable from what I can get. For example I don't think King Kai's room would scale anymore. If I'm incorrect please do tell me. Also anything referenced in Gt is also thrown away because non canon.

How is it derailing to ask what the CRT is trying to do? (In more specific terms than already given)?
I already gave an adequate answer to that. I specifically haven't brought up what tiering/more specific cosmology changes would happen as that would further complicate an already controversial thread. I'm not even sure yet what specific aspects would change.

Extrapolate is just a fancy way to say assuming when we're referring to information that doesn't actually indicate what you're arguing for, and would still be valid if the opposite were true.
A lot of power scaling is founded on interpreting stuff. Demanding to be spoonfed everything is counterproductive and is also just an unreasonable ask

The discussion thus far has essentially just boiled down to: arguments are made for the cosmology downgrade, counters are provided with evidence, said evidence is dismissed with “it’s not actually evidence” just because.

A lot of power scaling is founded on interpreting stuff. Demanding to be spoonfed everything is counterproductive and is also just an unreasonable ask

The discussion thus far has essentially just boiled down to: arguments are made for the cosmology downgrade, counters are provided with evidence, said evidence is dismissed with “it’s not actually evidence” just because.
*The last couple of dragon ball thread discussions

I already gave an adequate answer to that. I specifically haven't brought up what tiering/more specific cosmology changes would happen as that would further complicate an already controversial thread. I'm not even sure yet what specific aspects would change.
No? All that's been suggested is separating the cosmology.

Uhm, okay, that's fine (I'm neutral), but all I was asking is what exactly you were separating.

I'm not asking for a seminiar. I'm not asking for specific cosmology changes that would complicate the thread.

I'm simply asking, in no uncertain terms, "What does that mean here, because from what I (with my limited understanding) know from the series, the cosmology of the Universe they fight in, is simply identical outside of extra additions created by DBS? How do you uncomposite what is identical?"

Edit: And if asking for clarification in this way is derailing, I question how any suitably in depth conversations/threads have gone, especially when requesting full understanding would be incorrect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back