• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Underappreciated Franchises

Reppuzan

VS Battles
Retired
My threads haven't been getting a whole lot of traffic lately. I wonder if everyone's too busy to do those creative things I've been setting up.

Anyways, as the title implies, what series do you think are underappreciated on this site? Just list the title of the verse (along with a link to the verse page so everyone can find them) and some reasons as to why you think they're underrated.

I'm going to start with MapleStory since I've always had a soft spot for it even after I stopped playing it regularly. Quite simply, the story is downright epic in terms of scope while boss fights are easily some of the hardest in MMO history. Combine this with great graphics and absolutely kickass music and you have a winning formula. But for one reason or another, it seems to have fallen into obscurity on this wiki. It's also pretty haxed for a verse of its kind and is surprisingly high up in terms of tiering. The only thing the verse is lacking right now is a good speed feat to scale off of.

I'm hoping that this might help to shake up the tired and beaten threads that always seem to repeat themselves.

Following. I have a series in mind that's really underappreciated here. And it;s a good series too, actually...

To be honest, even famous one like Naruto and Bleach may doesn't generate as much traffic if:

1. The character is unknown, or that no one care.

2.It doesn't spark controversy and debate.

3. Simply bad luck, like you strike as the lowest of time or people already into another one.

At least that what I have met here.

Akatsuki No Yona - Highly underrated. People are often turned off because it has reverse harem elements. However, the story is really good.

C - Control - Interesting concept, good art.

Zero Escape - fantastic story, with loads of mindf*ck

For example here, there is Chou Chou, a character in Mugen Souls, made by the one who made Hyperdimension Neptune. Good music, OP character and a funny storyline with a salt of feels, the gameplay itself is great if you're into 3D turn-based RPG, though the fun itself is in grinding to ridiculously high level.

Enough said, it's a fringe series with only 2 game. Me not putting any profile into it is not helping either. Anyway, here's the character:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Chou_Chou

@Andykhang

Well, notice that this thread is aimed at entire franchises rather than individual characters. Naruto as a whole gets a hell of a lot of traffic for being THE Shonen manga for the longest and is thus ingrained in public memory.

@TheBlueDash

I initially aimed this thread at franchises on this wiki that don't get a lot of traffic, but good to know.

Reppuzan said:
@TheBlueDash

I initially aimed this thread at franchises on this wiki that don't get a lot of traffic, but good to know.
None of those series are popular? Zero Escape was almost canceled due to low popularity, Akatsuki No Yona is not popular, and C-Control was building up to a season 2 but ended in 1 season with no continuation.

I simply adore the older Phantasy Star games, especially Phantasy Star 1 and Phantasy Star 4. I'm a huge sucker for Science-Fantasy works so the brilliant blend of "Sword and Shield fantasy" and sci-fi just does wonders for me. Doesn't hurt that the games have amazing visuals for the time, a great OST and a damn good story. Chaz Ashley is also one of the likable characters in any game I've played, with Rune Walsh, Alys Brangwi and Hahn Mahlay being tied for second.

Magical Vacation and Starsign is another great series that I rarely hear about. They're a small series of Role-Playing games made on the GBA and DS respectively. They're also science-fantasy, though with more emphasis on fantasy.

They have some great characters, a pretty good OST and amazing visuals (they were made by Brownie Brown, who made some of the best looking GBA games like Mother 3, Sword of Mana etc). Unfortunately the gameplay is rather lacking and very slow so its hard to get people into the series and honestly hard for me to replay it but they're still good games.

Phi had some OK feats. Zero Escape Dillemna had a good number of feats. Don't want to say much incase you haven't play it.

Also say you're sorry! Apologize to the Funyarinpa!

Some verses that are popular elsewhere seem to be obscure here, like Steins;Gate and Halo.

Thebluedash said:
Phi had some OK feats. Zero Escape Dillemna had a good number of feats. Don't want to say much incase you haven't play it.

Also say you're sorry! Apologize to the Funyarinpa!
I meant the Funyarinpa.

Forgive me, oh great Funyarinpa! I am not worthy of your Rorschah test-like presence!

Thebluedash said:
Funyarina obvious get scaling from all characters m8.
>Implying that any character is comparable to the all mighty Funyarinpa...

Alright i'm back. One verse i have in mind that's kind of really unappreciated here is Kongou Banchou.

This series is pretty funny and awesome for something that was supposedly cliche-ish. The main character is a ridiculously big guy, Akira Kongou, despite being 17. Has a good personality and can be quite funny without knowing it. He's also pretty badass, albeit in a cliche way, as well as having cool feats and has helped solved various matters and problems throughout the manga. There's also various other characters that are just as funny and awesome like the main character in fact.

If anything tho, in short, i think the series is pretty good but just too unappreciated and obscure. Which is sort of something considering that the creator who made is the same one who made Nanatsu no Taizai.

2 games that are pretty underappreciated would be the inFAMOUS and [PROTOTYPE] series. Like, their fanbase is ridiculously small and the characters remain in relative obscurity. I think that part of the reason is because their latest games didn't live up to the expectations set by the first few games, both of which had interesting plot and story, unique and new gameplay and interesting characters.

X.C.O.M. I'd like to think of it as a super advanced version of chess with Aliens against Super Soldiers. The game can be like Dark Souls on the highest difficulty, especially adding the Iron Man mode on top of that.

You have lots of character customisation as you can change:

• The Characters Background (Race, name, bio, nationality, nickname)
  • Appearance (Armour designs, physical appearance)
  • Weapons (Names, weapon mods, ammo types, weapon skins)
  • Mods (Weapons skins, voice packs, custom armour, custom classes etc.)
Here are some mod examples - Star Wars, Superheroes, Halo

bump

WONDERFUL WORLD

It is a game made by Ainefill that after 10 years is STILL WIP. However, despite it not technically being a complete fighter, as of the thirteenth addition to the roster, it feels complete, and has tournament play in Japan.

The Gameplay, Gimmicks-wise is similar to Guilty Gear, and while it was originally intended to be an All-Female Fighter, there are a couple of Males (Most Notably Ryuza, and Sabe.) in the roster as well, adding for a decent blend of variety.

The Roster is unique as no two characters are alike, gameplay wise. While there is the typical sword user, one character uses GUNS. Considering the verse is filled with magic, combining Magic with a shared clip of 12 rounds is NOT easy. Even future characters (Which you can find if you search well enough.) seem more impressive.

The story is a little harder to talk about. According to World of Darkness, There are 6.5 Primary Areas in the world (NOT Counting the Makai.) including the 0.5 Village of Eimeru.

1. Imperial City Ainefir 2. Martial Arts City Rakleia 3. Military Town Berga 4. Commercial City Cornalia 5. College Town Oraia 6. Religion District Rekseimu.

Ainefir, Rakleia, and Berga are mentioned in character profiles the most times. Cornalia is mentioned on Orphe's background as her home. The rest are never mentioned at all, but might be in the future...

The Game is in Japanese, but then again, so was the Masadaverse, so translators will be needed for Winquotes, and profile descriptions. Aside from that, there isn't really that much of a language barrier, though World of Darkness has been on hiatus since a couple years back. I'd Be more than happy to post the winquote sayings in their original language so others might go ahead and translate them, though you're on your own with WOD.

The Verse truly shines in it's soundtrack. Albeit generic, it is inspired by the best, and if you have a sharp ear, you can tell similarities of each song and how it relates to the character itself (Not to say this doesn't have any Musical Value either)

Alicephia's theme sounds like you seriously want to be in the air.

Friede's theme is reminiscent of old-Windows Touhou Project Music.

Even Kiki's theme sounds like it has elements of feudal Japanese intruments incorporated in the song itself.

But the best song in the game belongs to "Final" Boss Sabe in which in harder difficulties, really will give you a rush of adrenaline.

While there in no acting roles, you can easily imagine what the Seiyuu's could be in the far future...

Overall, Ainefill did so much for this game, it emits awesome despite not having any "Powerful" characters Per se. And with a 4 Player Variant coming soon, this shows more promise than ever before, & I'm a sad panda that no one else supports this...

Graphics: 7.8 Story: 8.3 Sound: 9.1 Gameplay: 8.9

OVERALL: 8.525/10

BTW: As an ever evolving game, the meta keeps changing each glitch fix, Buff, Nerf, even new characters for the roster.

I am truly sorry for this UBER LONG POST, but I wanted to throw my thoughts out...

BONUS: These are the Win Quotes for each character to translate if you want...

For me it would have to be Saint Seiya.

I know, shocking, by I truly believe it to be a great franchise that deserves far more than the obscurity it has on English-Speaking countries.

Admitedly, the original Anime / Manga is incredibly dated both in art and in writing. The plot is repetitive and simplistic, and the characters are often one note, and everything happens in an incredibly rushed manner. However, good translations can make the prose seem very dramatic and grandiose, and under a good presentation (Like the Hades Sanctuary OVAs) the whole thing can be epic and exciting.

It's probably the father of all modern Shounen tropes and has influenced a ridiculous amount of japanese fictions from Bleach to JRPGs, Sailor Moon and several others. It's probably the first succesful Shounen to focus on a group of characters each with their own skills and abilities, rather than a single protagonist, and to have their villains often be Anti-Villains or become heroes later on, and characters like Saga and Hades predate a whole lot of JRPG Big Bad tropes...

I could understand the lack of popularity if Classic and Next Dimension were all that existed, but the modern Spin-Off mangas Episode G, Lost Canvas and Saintia Sho are all great. They take the Verse's concepts and ideas and run with them, expanding the lore, world, adding depth to characters and truly making epic moments and battles.

It is also perhaps the most powerful Shounen Manga / Anime Universe out there. I often joke that it took Saint Seiya 5 years to reach a Tier Dragon Ball needed 32 to reach.

Matthew Schroeder said:
I often joke that it took Saint Seiya 5 years to reach a Tier Dragon Ball needed 32 to reach.
And it took Suggsverse one chapter to reach a tier Saint Seiya never will

O V O

No just saying like Bruce, that power is far from any sort of indicator of overall quality. As proven by the infamous descender of swords, Suggs. ovo

Ryukama said:
No just saying like Bruce, that power is far from any sort of indicator of overall quality. As proven by the infamous descender of swords, Suggs. ovo

As an example of this, Hydlide on the NES is one of the strongest video game verses ever, its also one of the worst games of all time to most people (I kind of like it).

It may seem weird, but Monster Girl Quest is a really good visual novel on its own, the story, music and characters being very good, on part if not higher than non-H games.

It is also an example of both quality and power. ovo

Back