• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What are our standards for real world plants and fungi profiles?

I agree that natural disasters shouldn't have profiles; they're not really characters, weapons, or vehicles. They can often be seen as techniques for sure, but they should be on the list of common feats and/or a detail blog post rather than have separate profiles.

Now back to the plants, Venus flytraps do behave similar to clams, so they're close enough to being considered a "Character" or living organism. So only carnivorous plants that move and or bite are the only types of RL plant profiles I'm okay with. And they could be potential feats for insect centered verses where a protagonist over powers the bit of a Venus fly trap. Still a 10-C feat, but at least something that makes them impressive for their size.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
I agree that natural disasters shouldn't have profiles; they're not really characters, weapons, or vehicles. They can often be seen as techniques for sure, but they should be on the list of common feats and/or a detail blog post rather than have separate profiles.
This doesn't make a lot of sense for the actual "Event" profiles (of which we have a category) for various verses. Such as Glitch Event, Meteor (One Punch Man), and SCP-2935 Event.

If y'all think natural disasters fit better in explanation/blogs for aiding indexing, that's fine, but these profiles only make sense within event pages for indexing.

What kind of page is that? Looking at the Meteor from OPM. I mean, it is a horribly formatted page that doesn't really fit a standard format for anything here. As for the other things; Universal/Multiversal distortions being events. Why would there even be pages for that?

Because it's useful to index things from fictional verses?

We don't need to index vehicles and locations, but we do because it's useful. Why would we limit ourselves to not indexing events?

Then it could just be something on a character's profile used for a feat; I've never seen any other verse just randomly have profiles for the supernovas or meteors that characters tanked before. Only calculation blogs on character's profiles.

SCP-2935 Event isn't on a character's profile or used for a feat. It just happens and we don't have a good lead for who did it, and we don't have anyone that tanked it, only characters that died to it.

I'm not familiar with Yume Nikki, but just from the summary Glitch Event looks to be something similar.

In that case, if they aren't feats at all, I'm really not sure why the even have profiles if they aren't use for indexing anything beyond itself. It's just awkward to have pages for all these random stuff.

Because people are interested in the event described in SCP-2935, for the purpose of indexing it.

Threads have been made for "which characters would survive it", etc.

It gets a lot more use than random profiles for verses that no-one cares about.

I am afraid that I agree with Agnaa. Lots of our character profile pages use these real world event pages as sources for their statistics. We definitely need to catalogue them in some easy to reference manner.

However, if I am outvoted, I suppose that somebody could place all of the relevant calculations and energy values in a specific "Natural Disasters" or "Real World Events" page, which we then create redirect links to in all of the current relevant pages.

Weren't we supposed to put natural disasters and IRL events in the References for Common Feats page before this thread popped up?

It does seem to me like the "References for Common Feats" page would be an appropriate place for natural disasters to be catalogued rather than making individual profiles for them.

If those real world events are going to be collapsed down, I'd think that they should get their own separate page for feats. The References for Common Feats page is clogged enough as it is, these natural disasters with similar things can have their own page.

@Damage3245

I suppose that could be an idea, yes.

@Antvasima; based on everything said in the thread so far, I think it would be fine for that to be added to the Editing Rules page but if another admin / member of staff could comment on it, that'd be nice.

Imaginym said:
@GyroNutz: Are venus flytraps an exception only because they're notable, they move or because they have a carnivorous diet? Not because they're somehow dangerous or have notable abilities beyond their capacity for movement? Why those criteria?
Unlike nearly all other plants, they can attack, which means they have something that is actually worthwhile indexing.

@Damage imo, you should replace "as" with "where", or write another sentence explaining that there are exceptions like said venus flytrap.

People are saying stuff like this should be in a blog, but nobody went through with a Composite Human blog even after it was agreed on, so... -shrug-

Flashlight237 said:
People are saying stuff like this should be in a blog, but nobody went through with a Composite Human blog even after it was agreed on, so... -shrug-
I thought that got made as soon as the thread concluded?

We just need one reference page. Not many. It can serve as a complimentary page to the Attack Potency page.

Tiering every minute catastrophe in human history is highly redundant and extremely unnecessary.

No blogs. No multiple pages. Just one, well-written and comprehensive reference page.

GyroNutz said:
Imaginym said:
@GyroNutz: Are venus flytraps an exception only because they're notable, they move or because they have a carnivorous diet? Not because they're somehow dangerous or have notable abilities beyond their capacity for movement? Why those criteria?
Unlike nearly all other plants, they can attack, which means they have something that is actually worthwhile indexing.
You say attacking, but for a venus fly trap, most of the purpose is achieved via sensing the insect with fine hairs, trapping it via the shape of the closed jaws, & then using digestive juices/chemicals to decompose & digest the insect while it's inside. The KE of it shutting its jaws contributes negligibly to the purpose.

We also have profiles for bacteria & viruses. And on a very small & slow scales, many trees, plants, & microorganisms also move themselves, by growth or otherwise, or move air or water. Or move or use some kind of chemicals, especially to "destroy" things on a small scale, like how a VFT digests insects.

I also think a lot of people in this thread seem preferential towards profiles for characters, as opposed to "things", seemingly because characters have agency, or a humanly perceptible ability to move.

Despite that you don't need either of those, especially to be notably dangerous.

So I think these criteria that qualify a venus fly trap but not an SCP-Event or a tornado or the world's deadliest tree seem strange.

Compared to events, plants, trees & microorganisms barely move, much less in a humanly perceptible way, & express much less agency.

Speaking personally, I think this especially in regards to fictional things. Events like the SCP-2935 event & whatnot. I think "events" should be indexed if they show notable importance, abilities or statistics.

Please forgive my speaking out so.

@Crabwhale

Yes, and then we turn the old pages into redirects for the new one.

"You say attacking, but for a venus fly trap, most of the purpose is achieved via sensing the insect with fine hairs, trapping it via the shape of the closed jaws, & then using digestive juices/chemicals to decompose & digest the insect while it's inside. The KE of it shutting its jaws contributes negligibly to the purpose."

You don't need KE for something to be considered an attack. Using poisons and chemicals can also be considered as an attack. Trees do not attack, they gain what they need to survive via sunlight, soil nutrients etc, and sometimes have features which are meant to deter attackers. There is nothing notable about this. There's a few virus/cell pages I disagree with, but I'll bring it up some other time.

Events don't need profiles as their only real purpose is for indexing actual characters.

GyroNutz said:
Using poisons and chemicals can also be considered as an attack. Trees do not attack, they gain what they need to survive via sunlight, soil nutrients etc, and sometimes have features which are meant to deter attackers. There is nothing notable about this. There's a few virus/cell pages I disagree with, but I'll bring it up some other time.

Events don't need profiles as their only real purpose is for indexing actual characters.
Then what about trees & other inanimate organisms that release poison & chemicals often or continually? Like the manchineel tree with sap that's dangerous to touch, even in rainwater or smoke if you burn it?

What of inanimate organisms with rare or unique abilities, or exceptional statistics? Have we not documented non-combat applicable things before?

Some people do use events in Versus Threads against characters, but I personally think that's an unimportant use, so I mostly agree there.

Antvasima said:
Re suggestions to squeeze all "natural disaster" profiles into one reference blog similarly to this page: References for Common Feats

Are any experienced members willing to help out with this?
I may try. Anyone may be already trying. And I will leave a blog link here once done.

Thank you for helping out.

It may be better to use a sandbox format if you wish to collaborate on writing the page.

@GyroNutz, profiles for bacteria, and biological viruses could be fine IMO. They are used for indexing characters such as Osmosis Jones and other similar verses in characters.

@ant

How can I make a profile in a sandbox format? Like I can make a profile already (and name the profile "sandbox" something but would that defeat the purpose?)

Like I can open a blog and name it a sandbox, but is there a way to open a sandbox profile instead of just create a profile with the phenomena inside?

(One more thing on the natural phenomena part: should we include a formula in calculating values to create a certain phenomenum and list some really major events that are results from some phenomena?)

Jasonsith said:
@ant

How can I make a profile in a sandbox format? Like I can make a profile already (and name the profile "sandbox" something but would that defeat the purpose?)

Like I can open a blog and name it a sandbox, but is there a way to open a sandbox profile instead of just create a profile with the phenomena inside?
You can simply go to your profile and type "/sandbox" without the quotes next to the URL.

@Mindovin

Thank you for helping out.

Back