• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What is our upscale rules/do we have them written anywhere?

So, we use upscaling all the time here, and I cannot seem to find what our rules are for them, or get a general standard for the gap. Can someone enlighten me to the situation? I've heard people say 1.3x is a valid upscale range, 1.5x, 1.2x, etc etc. But I haven't been able to find an actual written rule on our site.

I originally thought it was 1.3x but I was told by LordTracer that it was decided to be case by case.

It's pretty arbitrary, generally it's just a case by case thing, by default it means pratically nothing if it can't be elaborated on (say, X character is just stated to be stronger than Y, but neither even interact to have a more direct image of how much one is above the other).

Note how the x7.5 one-shot multiplier thing is only for vs threads, anywhere else assuming any arbitrary value is a no and a CRT can be made.
However, it has been accepted for characters to jump to the next tier or "barely" be the tier below if the gap between such spots is rather minimal, but there's no set multiplier on that either.

In other words, case by case.

So, we use upscaling all the time here, and I cannot seem to find what our rules are for them, or get a general standard for the gap. Can someone enlighten me to the situation? I've heard people say 1.3x is a valid upscale range, 1.5x, 1.2x, etc etc. But I haven't been able to find an actual written rule on our site.
We tried introducing some proper standards on it but we couldn't get everyone to agree on what those standards should be.

There was a thread for it, but it basically went all over the place. I know one of the proposals was to just make it unquantifiable, but that got universal disagreement since an upscale from a 1.001x gap would be extremely judicious if an upscale THAT close was rejected. There's be no reason to not get the next tier for being superior to someone that close to the next tier or receiving a "+" sign.

But as for the gaps being 1.1x, 1.3x, and 1.5x, it was agreed to be case by case. Any closer than the first should be fairly easy for upscaling to happen, where as any gap bigger than the 1.5 was agreed that only very specific multiplier statements supported would quantify. Character A having a generic, "Far stronger than character B" with no specific feats and/or multiplier statements isn't enough to be any higher than 1.5x.

And I forgot where the thread was, but it was in the staff discussion board I know.

Literally no one could agree to anything
Ig I can see why

On one hand it’s like why use upscaling when we have stuff like “higher, far higher, at least, at most” to denote someone is far stronger than quantified

But on the other hand it’s like, I don’t see anything inherently wrong with a little generosity if you’re like less than 10% away from the next tier

Back