• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Would adding a "Contents" tab on character pages make navigation easier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScarletFirefly

VS Battles
Retired
I noticed that some pages do not have a "Contents" tab. It makes navigation easier, especially on pages with a lot of information. I think it would be a good idea adding it manually to pages that do not have it.

Contents tab?

Do you mean a Table of Contents? If so, I actually think that would be a pretty good idea.

However, not all pages will use this since most pages only use a couple of headers (for the Summary and Powers and Stats), so I'm not sure if it'll be as effective as it might be on this wiki.

Yes I mean Table of Contents. The editor will add a Table of Contents automatically when there are a certain number of headers (more than 3 I think).

However, a Table of Contents can be forced to appear by inserting "__ TOC __" (without the "" and no spaces) anywhere on the page where you want it to appear.

Also I suggest that the Notable Attacks/Techniques be a level3 Header(that's what it's called I think). Like so:

(triple "=" sign)Notable Attacks/Techniques(triple "=" sign)

This will make it easier for users to navigate directly to the techniques of any character to quickly check what said character can do, by adding it to the Table of Contents.

I can edit a random page like this and show it visually if you want.

I personally like this idea, but implementing this change on a wide scale is going to be time consuming to say the least, and we'll have to make changes to the Standard Profile template as a result.

Ill try to contact the other members of the staff to get their opinion, so just try to be patient.

Yeah it will be time consuming. The staff can spread the workload to non-staff "active and responsible members". Maybe just a few at first and examine the results.

Anyways, I just gave the idea, it's up to you staff guys to discuss it. Implementing this or not is entirely your decision.

Hmm. I can see it being helpful, but it will take too much time and energy to do it.

I also don't see whats wrong with just scrolling down like always. The only kind of profile I know that has a lot of information is Kenshiro. So maybe he needs it. But even then it only takes me like a few seconds to scroll down to it.

Though, tbh, I have never used it and have always scrolled down to check for information.

Letting non staff users revise pages means trusting them with editing hundreds of pages without supervision and so or so it will take days during which the wiki is pretty much non-monitorable to edit 7000 pages.

The only thing one might consider is to let the kav-bot do the changes.

That said personally I don't feel like the TOC is necessary on most articles. There is a reason why wikia usually only displays it after 4 headings.

The Summary is usually not supposed to be long (the articles were it is do something wrong) and the powers and stats have quite limited length. I usually am capable to scroll down to things like the notable techniques faster than the TOC even loads, not the mention loading of stuff like tabbers or multiple images.

And in the end I also don't really consider TOC on short pages exactly beautiful.

I agree with KuuIchigo and DontTalk. This would constitute far too much work for far too limited gain.

I think some pages like Madara Uchiha , Naruto Uzumaki , Sasuke Uchiha need it, also Kenshiro mentioned by KuuIchigo. There are a ton of techniques there and quite a lot of pictures that take space. Navigating through it is kinda difficult.

Adding the header for the techiniques would make it easier to go directly to them.

Kinda agree with you guys about this implementation being unnecessary for most pages, but I think the aforementioned examples and other similar pages could use the TOC.

Well, people are free to add them at the beginning of long pages, if they wish, but we cannot start a wiki-wide project for it.

At least not unless Lord Kavpeny knows of a way to let the Kav-Bot handle it.

So it seems this idea is ultimately a no-go by the looks of things.

That said, I'm more than willing to add a TOC to the pages you mentioned Firefly.

It would definitely be nonsensical to undertake this thing for the whole wiki, I agree.

You're welcomed to do so, Reppuzan. In the future, I could go on a case by case basis and if any page I come by looks like it could need it, I'll ask you to check it out and unlock the page, if it's not too much trouble.

@ScarletFirefly

I wouldn't mind at all personally.

Alternatively, I could do it myself, but I currently have a summer job so I can't be active during certain hours. As a result, I'm hesitant to unlock a page before I leave for work since it opens up a venue for vandalism and character wank (which is the reason why most pages are lockedi n the first place).

Yeah forgot about the vandalism part, that would definitely cause headaches. I'm more than fine with you doint it yourself. If I find any page that looks like it could need it, I'll make sure to have several of them, so I don't bother you several times with something this small.

If that would be all, the thread could be locked, or not, doubt anyone will bump it again. Anyway, thanks again.

I wouldn't really mind something like this to happen.

However much like with several other things, this is something that is wiki-wide and one that we're likely not able to do at the moment (considering how many character pages we have on the site and ones that will be on here later on), not to mention the possible character wank and vandilism and other such that Reppuzan mentioned (i really don't want to leave this wiki for half an hour while this is going on and come back to see something got f'd up). Even then, i would prefer if Lord Kavpeny were to somehow do this with the Kav-Bot (if this is possible to do it by that).

I mean any one from staff or that of the regular community could do this if they wanted to but i've been here for so long that i've gotten used to reading the pages no matter how long it is.

Am i against the use of this idea? No. I just don't think it's nessecery and feel that we're fine enough....of course, anyone could add one like the Bleach pages if they wanted to but that's whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back