• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Writing Discussion Thread

Earth-Moon System

World Map

Basically the map and the illustration of how it is seen from the space of the story that I create, with the only error being the belt that orbits the Earth that I placed in the wrong place, in reality it is smaller and orbits closer to the planet like Saturn's rings

It's basically planet Earth after an apocalyptic third world war, the reason the planet is so different from normal is because of the interference of approximately 100 individuals with supernatural powers battling on the planet.

Generally in fiction when a large-scale battle occurs on the planet the effects are most of the time not permanent, I wanted to portray a reality where the battle of super-powered individuals leaves scars across the planet.
The pictures aren't loading for me...
Unfortunately regarding the map, not all the names of each place are correct and are only provisional until a better name is found.
Mood- I used brands of soda as placeholder names before hesitantly setting on the current list, although Kork came from Coke so it never really got a "proper" name.

Hey, I remember this

So, have you revised it?
No, my bad, I have been procrastinating. I'll finish it later.
Earth-Moon System

World Map

Basically the map and the illustration of how it is seen from the space of the story that I create, with the only error being the belt that orbits the Earth that I placed in the wrong place, in reality it is smaller and orbits closer to the planet like Saturn's rings

It's basically planet Earth after an apocalyptic third world war, the reason the planet is so different from normal is because of the interference of approximately 100 individuals with supernatural powers battling on the planet.

Generally in fiction when a large-scale battle occurs on the planet the effects are most of the time not permanent, I wanted to portray a reality where the battle of super-powered individuals leaves scars across the planet.
I can't see the maps

I finished writing my revised version of the in-verse laws for the fights in my stories.

But I wrote it in Spanish so I'll have to translate it. I'll do that tomorrow.
Screenshot_20231216-030324.png

I finished rewriting The rule of Claymore. I also added two more other things. I had to manually translate everything from Spanish to English. Thoughts? Criticisms?
The main questions coming to mind with this is how importance is defined, like- you know the phrase
  • "What's a man to a king? What's a king to a God? What's a God to a nonbeliever?"
Since you mentioned earlier you want gods and humans be able to deck each other sorta evenly, what makes one individual more important than the other? It can't just be by the number of people they affect, since everyone's actions affects everyone else at some point, it's just that some people action's more directly affect other people than others.

It also leads to the question of what increases one's importance? There's an obvious leadership route to go, but what about writing a best-selling novel? Or going viral online? The influence of the internet itself is a giant fustercluck that can mess with "importance."

Can you decrease someone else's importance by taking credit for their actions? Even though they still physically did the significant thing, if everyone thinks you did it, then would that nerf their gains?

Can you coast on the importance of just one thing you did? If that one Executive Officer, who was the only thing stopping the captain and other officer on that USSR submarine from launching the nuclear torpedo and causing WWIII / nuclear armageddon, was still alive today, would he still be utterly untouchable for being reason civilization is still around, despite the thing he did being over half a century ago?

Lots of questions. Also nice english.

Realized that I never really described any of my story ideas in terms of where they are next to each other. In fact, I haven't really described some of my story ideas at all. So here's the list, in sorta chronological order-
Carrion Queen: While squabbling amongst themselves, out of control warrior-kings inadvertently turn a war orphan into a blood-thirsty fly woman, and also create the world's most devious, vengeful, anti-kratorian child that history will ever see.
Buckshot: Antlers boy, son of cool dead guy, is sent on a suicide mission for sins of the grandfather by cool dead guy's murderer. Boy survives, swears revenge, is denied revenge due to external circumstances, and then comes to the realization that the world doesn't revolve around him well after he's already pissed off the strongest person on the continent.
[Big timeskip]
Two Steps To Midnight: Physically disabled woman with mommy issues goes on research trip, in hopes discovery will make people give her the time of day, even if her research could lead to a weapon of mass destruction. Gets gaslit by bartender, who does this ostensibly to stop a doomsday weapon, but really to make sure the researcher never leaves because she's the only one who would never be able to tell that she's a walking extinction event due to physical disability.
Fortitude: Local pushover survives end of the world due to his hickey from a demon, and the first other survivor he meets is the world's most arrogant quadruple amputee, who had somehow pissed off just about everybody before the world ended, and now needs to get their prosthetic limbs and power back.
[Big timeskip]
Racination: Pillar of virtue gets stuck inside the body of an asshole and is forced to work with him, just in time for the worst prison break in history, spearheaded by the person who discovered that the universe is in an unfathomable state of chronic depression, and decides to do their small part in putting it out of its misery, by ending the world for good this time.
[Doesn't fit with order]
Exonaut: Deadbeat mother climbs up the cosmological bucket of crabs that is reality, in order to ask God why is everything so shit.

The main questions coming to mind with this is how importance is defined, like- you know the phrase
  • "What's a man to a king? What's a king to a God? What's a God to a nonbeliever?"
Since you mentioned earlier you want gods and humans be able to deck each other sorta evenly, what makes one individual more important than the other? It can't just be by the number of people they affect, since everyone's actions affects everyone else at some point, it's just that some people action's more directly affect other people than others.
I think that my texts clarify this enough, but I should probably make another post giving more examples and clarifying further how levels of importance can be manipulated and classified.
The amount of things you can affect, fame and influence are what determines your level of importance. I disagree with you, some actions can affect more people than others. If your mother gives birth to you in the middle of nowhere, and she dies, you live alone without any interaction with society until you die, would it be fair to say that you would be as important as a politician who can start wars on a whim, control society and influence the world and other nations? I doubt it.
What about comparing the politician who can influence the world to the embodiment of a concept? Would the ruler of humans be as influential as the one who controls a fundamental part of reality? I doubt it.

Unrelated, but I remembered that I did not elaborate enough on Claymore being the embodiment of balance. She is supposed to be a force that maintains the status quo and restricts progress. The rule of Claymore is her way of preventing rapid changes like massive genocides, extinctions, terraforming cities, landmasses, astronomical objects or reality itself in order to protect balance. I'll elaborate on it later, but I think what I wrote so far shows part of this mindset and role of hers. You can't nuke and kill everything under her influence.
It also leads to the question of what increases one's importance? There's an obvious leadership route to go, but what about writing a best-selling novel? Or going viral online? The influence of the internet itself is a giant fustercluck that can mess with "importance."
I just noticed that I forgot to write about what exactly can manipulate levels of importance and give some examples. What I've written implies how you can change levels of importance, but I haven't outright said it.
Anything that can increase or decrease your capacity to affect people, places or things can change your level of importance. Increasing or decreasing your fame or influence can also change your level of importance.
Writing a best-selling novel would increase your fame and maybe your influence and capacity to affect others, so it is indeed a valid way to manipulate levels of importance.
I have been thinking of a way of making authors who write popular novels that end in crappy endings survive the wrath of their readers who have superpowers: The authors are simply much more important than any reader who wants to murder them for writing a bad ending.
Going viral online and on the internet would increase your fame, therefore your level of importance.
Can you decrease someone else's importance by taking credit for their actions? Even though they still physically did the significant thing, if everyone thinks you did it, then would that nerf their gains?
I admit that I haven't thought much of the implications of manipulating levels of importance but yes, by taking credit for the actions of others you can pretty much "Absorb" their level of importance if you successfully manage to reduce their capacity to affect others, fame or influence. It would also increase your own level of importance.
Taking credit for the actions of another person in most cases wouldn't decrease their capacity to affect others if they, let's say, saved people from a burning building, but it would nullify the fame they would gain from those deeds since they would be attributed to the credit thief.
That being said, stealing credit would be a gamble since my story is situated in modern times. The robbed can gather the evidence of the robbery of credit and easily expose the person that robbed them, get them banned from social media or sued if the situation is grave enough. At that point it would be better to use other, safer methods of reducing the level of importance of another person, like falsely accusing them, framing them of doing something awful, blackmailing them or getting them fired from their important position.
Can you coast on the importance of just one thing you did? If that one Executive Officer, who was the only thing stopping the captain and other officer on that USSR submarine from launching the nuclear torpedo and causing WWIII / nuclear armageddon, was still alive today, would he still be utterly untouchable for being reason civilization is still around, despite the thing he did being over half a century ago?
Good question, but levels of importance of someone would change depending on their current capacity to affect others, fame and influence.
Lots of questions. Also nice english.
Thanks, you too, pal. (It's all thanks to Grammarly, it corrects my spelling mistakes.)

Anyway, I will take your comments into account. I will be working on making a section explaining the manipulation of levels of importance in greater detail.

I might also try to elaborate more on Claymore being a force of balance, a force of the status quo. The one who protects those concepts and enforces them on the universe.

After being high, played ungodly amount of obscure JRPG, reading too much Xianxia and Manhwa.

I can finally finish my world building draft, while high.

So the protagonist meet an Absolute God of his universe, the God goes batshit insane- because the machination of a mysterious being. The barrier between the physical and mental/imaginary/conceptual/whatever youcallmetaphysical collapse, causing an immense amount of every monster, mythical being, and gods that humanity ever imagined pouring into the physical world.

Most human began distorting, be it their body, mind and soul. Turning them into being so horrifying, they can appear in your nightmare.

And not only that, God going insane makes the world outer barriers weaken. Causing some Outer Beings to slip some of their essence into the universe, causing even more chaos.

Also the universe are falling slowly into the Abyss, a place where worlds and gods dies. There lays the many corpses of worlds and gods, devoured by beings beyond human comprehension.

Suddenly the protag woke up, lose his memory. His friend suddenly appears and say-

"You have sinned, this world turning into hell because of you. Now, kill God as your penance and atonement. Then your sin shall be abolished."

This is a not so coherent story where I combine Baroque and Shin Megami Tensei.

While high.

Last edited:
So the protagonist meet an Absolute God of his universe, the God goes batshit insane- because the machination of a mysterious being. The barrier between the physical and mental/imaginary/conceptual/whatever youcallmetaphysical collapse, causing an immense amount of every monster, mythical being, and gods that humanity ever imagined pouring into the physical world.

Most human began distorting, be it their body, mind and soul. Turning them into being so horrifying, they can appear in your nightmare.

And not only that, God going insane makes the world outer barriers weaken. Causing some Outer Beings to slip some of their essence into the universe, causing even more chaos.

Also the universe are falling slowly into the Abyss, a place where worlds and gods dies. There lays the many corpses of worlds and gods, devoured by beings beyond human comprehension.

Suddenly the protag woke up, lose his memory. His friend suddenly appears and say-

"You have sinned, this world turning into hell because of you. Now, kill God as your penance and atonement. Then your sin shall be abolished."
I assume this is the start of the story?

I have a story where monsters (more specifically vampires) effectively rule the world and have done so for many years. Prior to the start of the story the Monster Emperor (Dracula) kills himself, and is reborn as the human protagonist. So now the ruling society of vampires is trying to hide his death to maintain their grip of power over the world. The main characters are a group of monster hunters trying to stop the creatures. Almost every type of supernatural being exists in some form including gods. However, the gods don’t really intervene much in the day to day with some exceptions.

Realized that I never really described any of my story ideas in terms of where they are next to each other. In fact, I haven't really described some of my story ideas at all. So here's the list, in sorta chronological order-

[Big timeskip]

[Big timeskip]

[Doesn't fit with order]
So have you made any outlines for these? Because there are a ton of ideas here and from experience, it's kinda difficult to write for multiple things at once

I've always wanted to try out writing with prompts so if you're willing, I can probably ghost writer some of this stuff (For free for now, I am in no ways professional). Also I'm not too deep into the writing community so I'm sorry if this is actually a dick move (There are a lot of things that are a dick move in the art community so I assume there are specific things as well)

So have you made any outlines for these? Because there are a ton of ideas here and from experience, it's kinda difficult to write for multiple things at once
Buckshot and Two Steps To Midnight have basic outlines, Exonaut and Carrion Queen have a beginning and an end idea, Fortitude is totally open ended, and Racination is in this weird state where I had an outline for it, but it's now outdated and doesn't line up with my other ideas.

I'm not actively writing for any of these ideas at the moment beyond developing an outline, since I've got chronic World Builder's disease and I want to develop the setting of the world more before getting into specific details.
I've always wanted to try out writing with prompts so if you're willing, I can probably ghost writer some of this stuff (For free for now, I am in no ways professional). Also I'm not too deep into the writing community so I'm sorry if this is actually a dick move (There are a lot of things that are a dick move in the art community so I assume there are specific things as well)
Not a dick move at all, don't worry! (I'm not super deep in the writing community either) With that said, all of the story ideas are interlinked to an extent and use characters I've got a framework for.

If you do wanna ghost write one though, you can have a shot at Carrion Queen. It's probably the most typical [face tougher and tougher opponents until the final boss] out of the list.

I think I’ve come up with a decent way to summarize my story. I’ve been calling it Star Wars meets Avatar [not literally] for a bit to explain it. The Star Wars part comes from the setting, while Avatar describes the lore and characters a bit better.

I think I’ve come up with a decent way to summarize my story. I’ve been calling it Star Wars meets Avatar [not literally] for a bit to explain it. The Star Wars part comes from the setting, while Avatar describes the lore and characters a bit better.
Which Avatar? Cameron or TLA?

Neat!

Also, writing question for you guys: how do you motivate yourselves to write? Or more effectively, what things have you used to build the discipline to write?
In my case, it's another problem that manifests itself like this: The inspiration to write comes when I don't have time to write or I have something more important to do, but from the moment I sit down at the computer I feel like doing everything, but for writing is a big no.

At least this was my problem before, now my problem is that I just keep getting inspiration after inspiration and with that I must have about ten...

I'm still new to writting myself so I can't say I have a surefire method per se, but every day after work I try to sit down and (with a cup of tea, milk or anything nice to drink) try to write at least 3 pages of the story. Doesn't matter if they aren't good or the best, just move things forward a bit, later on they can be corrected or rewriten. I also listen to music for inspiration, especially tracks I have tied to particular scenes in my head.

I'm still new to writting myself so I can't say I have a surefire method per se, but every day after work I try to sit down and (with a cup of tea, milk or anything nice to drink) try to write at least 3 pages of the story. Doesn't matter if they aren't good or the best, just move things forward a bit, later on they can be corrected or rewriten. I also listen to music for inspiration, especially tracks I have tied to particular scenes in my head.
Music also helps me a lot. Another thing that also helps stimulate the imagination is walking, whenever I'm moving my head works much harder and inspiration comes much easier (The problem for me is that this happens even when I drive, which which forces me to pay much more attention to my surroundings than would normally be necessary)

Neat!

Also, writing question for you guys: how do you motivate yourselves to write? Or more effectively, what things have you used to build the discipline to write?
In addition to all what we have said above.

Watch Youtube videos related to your story. My story is set a thousand years into the future so I am researching innovations today, watching youtube vids like Vsauce and so on then manifesting them into the future that is my story.

Music also helps me a lot. Another thing that also helps stimulate the imagination is walking, whenever I'm moving my head works much harder and inspiration comes much easier (The problem for me is that this happens even when I drive, which which forces me to pay much more attention to my surroundings than would normally be necessary)
Happens to you too? I thought walking to get my imagination going was some sort of odd gimick I had, lol. I also tend to take a walk or walk around (even in my own home, lol) when I need to really focus or come up with ideas, usually while listening to music. It sort of helps to concentrate for some reason. Also I have kind of developed some sort of sense to avoid crashing into things and not getting run over on the street =P

Happens to you too? I thought walking to get my imagination going was some sort of odd gimick I had, lol. I also tend to take a walk or walk around (even in my own home, lol) when I need to really focus or come up with ideas, usually while listening to music. It sort of helps to concentrate for some reason.
Hey, same. Though for me it usually comes with random bursts of energy when I'm thinking about my plans

Neat!

Nothing. Only sudden bursts of creativity but then I give up before finishing it and I then spend my day being lazy and playing video games. I don't have any discipline, don't be like me.

My biggest issue when it comes to writing is that I can't come up with good names for characters. I always feel like something is wrong about them, maybe I should reconsider and etc. Even worse when it comes to trying to name characters from other countries.

Also, I despise how I always know what I want the endings to be, but I can never reach it satisfactory. This leads me to never finishing my stories because you can't have an ending if you can't properly reach it.

My biggest issue when it comes to writing is that I can't come up with good names for characters. I always feel like something is wrong about them, maybe I should reconsider and etc. Even worse when it comes to trying to name characters from other countries.

Also, I despise how I always know what I want the endings to be, but I can never reach it satisfactory. This leads me to never finishing my stories because you can't have an ending if you can't properly reach it.
Names are a tricky issue, beyond just making them sound good or cool or anything. What I try to do is look up for names whose meanings fit the character, usually in folklore for fantasy stories or stuff like pages with name meanings for more mundane names.

Though when writting, if I don't find a name quickly for a character I use a placeholder name to not get stuck and I take my time later to look up for something fitting and change it.

Names are a tricky issue, beyond just making them sound good or cool or anything. What I try to do is look up for names whose meanings fit the character, usually in folklore for fantasy stories or stuff like pages with name meanings for more mundane names.
Meanwhile I just go Random Name Generator and use their search function to see if the name I'm going for actually exists

Also to find some unique surnames. I have two OCs whose surnames are Finnish

Back