• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Writing Discussion Thread

Also, writing question for you guys: how do you motivate yourselves to write? Or more effectively, what things have you used to build the discipline to write?
Commitment.

You can always try to set aside time in your day (like 30 mins or an hour) at a specific time and build a habit off of that. And give yourself a realistic deadline, but not too far ahead that you'll just procastinate.

And speaking of procastinating, I'll quote shia labeouf: "Just do it." If you don't have initial motivation to write at first, then devote yourself 5 mins to the writing at full focus, passionate interest, no distractions. Then continue until the desired time you want to do the writing. This is part of how to get into the flow state, though for further info, look up the flow state.

Part of discipline is doing long-term gratification things and not doing instant gratification things, and habits.

If the story in-question you want to communicate with the world has been stuck on your mind for the past weeks or months, that's a good indicator of a story that you should write.

Have some passion in your work. Even from me (a guy some experience in writing), I've seen other artists/contents creators show/state the passion and love for working in a job can reduce the chances of burn out and can carry you a long way even if writing turns into a job.

If you're still demotivated and have a deadline, then make the best out of your situation, or in other words, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

Commitment.

You can always try to set aside time in your day (like 30 mins or an hour) at a specific time and build a habit off of that. And give yourself a realistic deadline, but not too far ahead that you'll just procastinate.

And speaking of procastinating, I'll quote shia labeouf: "Just do it." If you don't have initial motivation to write at first, then devote yourself 5 mins to the writing at full focus, passionate interest, no distractions. Then continue until the desired time you want to do the writing. This is part of how to get into the flow state, though for further info, look up the flow state.

Part of discipline is doing long-term gratification things and not doing instant gratification things, and habits.

If the story in-question you want to communicate with the world has been stuck on your mind for the past weeks or months, that's a good indicator of a story that you should write.

Have some passion in your work. Even from me (a guy some experience in writing), I've seen other artists/contents creators show/state the passion and love for working in a job can reduce the chances of burn out and can carry you a long way even if writing turns into a job.

If you're still demotivated and have a deadline, then make the best out of your situation, or in other words, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
I just instinctively heard phonk music in the background of reading this post. I'ma hit the gym, go home and shower, and get to writing then!

Writing names is also a struggle for me. I sometimes spend hours just trying to think of what would be the best name for a character or concept in my stories.

That and I want my characters to have unique names that aren't extremely long and forgettable but also aren't the names of real people so that if I'm ever famous their names don't get related to real people.

Except if I am giving my characters the name of a person I hate. I have never seen a person named Angra that is a good person so I want them to be associated with my characters to their detriment. Screw all Angras.

Writing names is also a struggle for me. I sometimes spend hours just trying to think of what would be the best name for a character or concept in my stories.

That and I want my characters to have unique names that aren't extremely long and forgettable but also aren't the names of real people so that if I'm ever famous their names don't get related to real people.

Except if I am giving my characters the name of a person I hate. I have never seen a person named Angra that is a good person so I want them to be associated with my characters to their detriment. Screw all Angras.
Not just real people, but popular fictional characters too. The One Mario Limit is a thing for a reason.

So I recall some complaints about names which is a common problem. Now, allow me to raise another question:

How do you all come up with magic spells? Not like the effects but just the words the characters say to cast said spells

So I recall some complaints about names which is a common problem. Now, allow me to raise another question:

How do you all come up with magic spells? Not like the effects but just the words the characters say to cast said spells
Technique/Weapon/Armor Names fall into 4 overlapping categories for me:
  • Puns
  • Short Descriptions
  • Vaguely Related Cool Words
An example of all 3 would be "Dark Soles", my max enchanted Netherite Boots. (Thorns III, Unbreaking III, Protection IV, Mending, Feather Falling IV, Soul Speed III, Depth Strider III- you have to add enchanted books in a very specific order or else it becomes too expensive for the anvil)

It's black footwear, sounds cool, and a play on Dark Souls, due to how damn difficult it was to make them.

i have difficulties describing places. In my head i have a clear idea but on paper its sounds very vague.
any suggestions on how to tackle this problem

any suggestions on how to tackle this problem
Go look at how other stories describe environments and use what you think would work the best as reference for your own writing. Using other works as reference and taking the elements you think would mesh well with your own story is a general technique you could use for things that just don't click in your head.

Soooo, anyone has ever had a story that ended up discarding for one reason or another? Be it because you no longer liked it, thought it was bad with time, simply thought of a better one, etc. But there was one aspect or element of said story that you really liked and tried to keep in later ones? Or worse, wanted to keep but could not due to how different newer stories were?

For example, long time ago I had a story that ended up discarding because it just wasn't good, but I really liked how the main character turned out. They weren't exceptionally well written or anything, but liked how the pieces fit together, from their backstory, to their relationships, to their objectives and porpuse on the story with their likes and dislikes, etc. But it was so specific to that story that I could never reuse them again in a newer one without it feeling forced or having to bend some aspects of the new one, so I had to left them aside in the end.

How do y'all decide on how to name terms and characters in your story? I can't decide. I spend hours just trying to think of how to name things and characters rather than writing.

How do y'all decide on how to name terms and characters in your story? I can't decide. I spend hours just trying to think of how to name things and characters rather than writing.
I sit there, and if I can't think of one I start using them until my brain slaps down a name for me

Thats why a lot of my 2020-2021 female OCs have "aria" at the end lol

I sit there, and if I can't think of one I start using them until my brain slaps down a name for me

Thats why a lot of my 2020-2021 female OCs have "aria" at the end lol
I see, good idea. That's better than just doing nothing.

One of the reasons why I take so much time with naming characters is that I avoid using names that might be used by real people. I try to use weird names no one has. Or even made up names.

Terms is easy, just use real life mythological and esoteric term. Examples Qi, Omega, Astra, Chakra, Sefirah, etc.

Names? I use Chinese lol.

Terms is easy, just use real life mythological and esoteric term. Examples Qi, Omega, Astra, Chakra, Sefirah, etc.
Fair enough, though I don't want to misuse real terms. If I use Qi, I'd try to make it as accurate to how Qi is used in real life for example.
Names? I use Chinese lol.
Ah, makes sense. I am unsure about using names from other languages. It might sound very silly if you understand what it means in that language.

Fair enough, though I don't want to misuse real terms. If I use Qi, I'd try to make it as accurate to how Qi is used in real life for example
Don't limit yourself to real life examples, use it as interesting as you want.
Ah, makes sense. I am unsure about using names from other languages. It might sound very silly if you understand what it means in that language.
Choose the theme for your character (Ex's: Cheerful, Brave, Tree, Tranquil, etc) and use another language to fit with that theme (German, French, Italian, Chinese, Japanese or just use english lol.)

One of the reasons why I take so much time with naming characters is that I avoid using names that might be used by real people. I try to use weird names no one has. Or even made up names.
If that's a problem. Just make a disclaimer that all names of stuff in your verse is fictional, and that any coincidental or similar names used in IRL is coincidental.

Is anyone going to make a fuss if a character is named after an average person? Unless your doing something like naming an OC girl Stalin, this shouldn't be too much of a concern.

I tend to name my OCs symbolically by choosing a meaning I want their name to represent, then look up a name that means that exact meaning.

If it insulted you, it wasn't intentional.
If that's a problem. Just make a disclaimer that all names of stuff in your verse is fictional, and that any coincidental or similar names used in IRL is coincidental.

Is anyone going to make a fuss if a character is named after an average person? Unless your doing something like naming an OC girl Stalin, this shouldn't be too much of a concern.

I tend to name my OCs symbolically by choosing a meaning I want their name to represent, then look up a name that means that exact meaning.
I see, makes sense. I'll think about it.

I get a general feel of the personality of the character when I'm creating them, and then combine stuff until I go "oh yeah, that's this character" (unless it's a character made to subvert expectations, then I go for something that's unfitting lol).

Alternatively, if there are aspects of the character you'd like to highlight, you could look up names and surnames that communicate that. For instance, if I wanted to create a character and emphasize how he's rich and arrogant, but empty on the inside, sometimes I Google "boy names meaning proud" and "boy names meaning hollow". From that, you can get stuff like Cassian Garvit (Cassian meaning "hollow" and Garvit meaning "proud or filled with pride").

EDIT: I lowkey just said the same thing @H3110l12345I20 said lol

Alright so...

I'm gonna assume this is just an outline? Since it felt kinda odd with how many characters started randomly appearing at the last and middle parts. Like, I'm surprised Raider had any friends, let alone ones that would sacrifice their lives for him or a family he cares about. Hell, I was even more surprised that he was old enough to have a grandchild.

Also I assume the dragonoid is somewhat human-sized? Since I'm not sure how it'd be able to stab someone.

Now another thing I have an issue with is his character development. Honestly I didn't really understand how he learned his lesson from having everyone around him killed. It's not like he wasn't doing his job or deliberately sacrificed the people around him, unironically he just wasn't strong enough. At least his actions are somewhat consistent, training to get stronger, being less egoistic, and actually aiming to help people.

Lastly regarding the potential. I'm gonna assume he's gonna be some sort of mentor figure? I mean, he's pretty damn old and is training a trio of 2 boys and 1 girl. Is this gonna be the main focus or just something revealed every once in a while throughout the story?

Either way, seems cool

Alright so...

I'm gonna assume this is just an outline? Since it felt kinda odd with how many characters started randomly appearing at the last and middle parts. Like, I'm surprised Raider had any friends, let alone ones that would sacrifice their lives for him or a family he cares about. Hell, I was even more surprised that he was old enough to have a grandchild.

Also I assume the dragonoid is somewhat human-sized? Since I'm not sure how it'd be able to stab someone.

Now another thing I have an issue with is his character development. Honestly I didn't really understand how he learned his lesson from having everyone around him killed. It's not like he wasn't doing his job or deliberately sacrificed the people around him, unironically he just wasn't strong enough. At least his actions are somewhat consistent, training to get stronger, being less egoistic, and actually aiming to help people.

Lastly regarding the potential. I'm gonna assume he's gonna be some sort of mentor figure? I mean, he's pretty damn old and is training a trio of 2 boys and 1 girl. Is this gonna be the main focus or just something revealed every once in a while throughout the story?

Either way, seems cool
yeah, its kinda hard to grasp if you dont know the background/context.

Its more of a backstory for him.

Here's my favorite one to use
Been designing some characters to use in a story. Nothing great by any means though, my ""art"" is pretty crap, but it does help to visualize the characters in the narrative. Thing is, this little gem you shared has been helluva useful.

Back