• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A problem with the filter (and how to mitigate it)

Wokistan

Bioluminescent African American Working At The CIA
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Human Resources
It has come to my attention that the autocensor considers the phrase "***human" as a slur. This causes problems, because we have this as an official speed category and a term used for a few other things. While it predominantly affects lower tiered characters, it has already messed with edits on at least two profiles, which I can confirm.

However, FANDOM has stated that they do not want to take any current words off the filter, so we may be stuck with this. In this case, we should use Below Average Human instead.

If you see a profile with the banned text on it, please change it to Below Average Human instead, to avoid issues with future edits. This is especially helpful due to the censor not telling you what bad word you're trying to post and where, and results in less people going to the admins to ask questions like this.

Thank you in advance.

Didn't we actually officially stopped to use this term some time ago specifically due to it being a slur?

Some profiles still have it. This thread is mainly to let people know about the issue, so they can fix it when they see it.

Some profiles say below average, some say below average human and some say below average level, which one is it?

Well, we should define a standard. I vouch for below average human, since the rest of the terms assume human physiology as a standard.

The term was changed 2016... you would think by now it's 99.9% replaced...

That aside Speed page has the official say, so Below Average Human should be the correct term.

(Edit: or "Below Average level" in terms of AP & Dura, according to the AP and Tiering page. Which raises the point that the Durability page has it listed wrong.)

That one got me a few times when I was writing in casual conversations.

Reminder that this word is still officially just a name for an animal and not a slur.

A lot of people do consider the B word a sexist slur; but yeah, below average human would be better than sub. I wouldn't consider putting "sub" before "human" a slur though. It's more a term used to describe animals. Though, in Fire Emblem for example, it's a fictional slur for human/animal hybrid.

Edit: I searched that word and found 6 results. I will list and fix them if possible.

Freya, Kazumi Schlierenzauer, Arpin Lusène, Reactions, SCP-060, and SCP-076. Those are the list that have said word.

I am well aware of that the filter is a problem, but it would be an even bigger problem if Fandom regularly banned our members and staff for the slightest mistake, so it is the least bad option.

The r-word is also automatically considered as a slur by the filter btw, even when it is used as a synonym for fire-resistant.

Back