• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Yes this should have been in the main Frontiers CRT but, it was suggested to make it its own thread: Base Sonic and his scaling to the Titans.

For the record, I’m not trying to scale him to them in all aspects. In terms of AP and durability, Sonic is clearly outclassed. Sonic’s only physical altercation with a Titan in cutscenes has him knocked out by a single throw from Giganto after being crushed, and Sonic immediately game-overs if he gets hit by them in a scripted gameplay scene.

However, there are multiple instances throughout the game where Sonic is outrunning the Titans in said scripted sequences, and the game will flat out not allow you to progress until you complete them. This includes outrunning Wyvern as it chases you around the desert (and catching up to it to acquire its Chaos Emerald), outrunning Knight and it’s buzzsaw, and weaving around/dodging Knight and Giganto’s strikes in order to acquire their Chaos Emeralds. And at the very end, Sage pilots the Supreme Titan (which has no will of its own and requires a pilot to control it), meaning Sage directly has to respond to the End’s projectiles flying at Supreme in order to dodge or counter them.

So, that’s 3-4 instances of base forms scaling to Titan level threats in the same game in terms of speed.

Granted; maybe you could argue the Knight and Giganto instances don’t count because they were holding back, and that Sage’s instance doesn’t count because maybe Supreme enhanced all facets of her speed.

But this immediately falls apart with Wyvern, who flat out was bloodlusted by Sage and lashing out in anger. There’s no way it could have held back, and yet Sonic still outpaced it.

And the argument against scaling to the Titans will probably be one of two things: them being immeasurable and that not working for base Sonic, or that you require the Chaos Emeralds to fight the Titans at all.

Starting with the latter, the game never says that you need the Super form to match the Titans’ speed. The game makes multiple direct comparisons between base Sonic and the Titans, and they paint a very clear picture: in speed, base Sonic is on par, but in physical strength, he is severely outclassed. And the latter is far more important to winning, hence the need for a strength boost.

As for the former, this could be explained in one of two ways: Either the Titans and the End aren’t immeasurable, and the End being stronger than all previous foes is limited to purely physical strength (which would make sense, as the End lacks the physiology of Solaris and Solaris doesn’t have immeasurable speed himself to upscale from), or…

Base Sonic could be immeasurable himself.

There are actually a few instances in the series where Base Sonic arguably approaches this speed tier.

-Base Sonic keeps up with the Ifrit Golem (who could burn half the Arabian Nights to nothing) and base Erazor Djinn (who absorbed words from across half the Arabian Nights and returned them at endgame). The Arabian Nights are big enough that a space called “infinite” could exist in a single building. And while Runners contradicts this somewhat with Base Sonic losing to a tiny fraction of “no-absorbed energy Erazor”, Sonic has likely surpassed his Secret Rings base self by this point.

-Base Sonic keeps pace with and dodged the attacks of an Egg Robo amplified by the overclocked Phantom Ruby, which created Null Space, a dimension described as endless in both scrapped game dialogue and the Encyclospeedia, and uses that same energy to attack with.

-Base Sonic could dodge attacks from Void, who could corrupt and destroy all of Maginaryworld. As established in Frontiers, Cyberspace is not only a dimension containing infinite data, but a dimension where all the data came from the memories and feelings of the Ancients. This means the Ancients collective mental capacity could reach infinite data, meaning they could have more than likely possessed infinite size dreams, which means Void’s attack speed would have to cross an infinite distance.

-Base Sonic could fix time and space with pure speed, and ran through different time periods with nothing but his boost in Generations.

There’s also a number of times in the past where base forms have kept up with super form tiers in speed:

-Super Mecha Sonic
-Time Eater
-Eggmobile in Advance 3
-Perfect Chaos

So, at the very least a couple feats that can be argued as infinite speed scaling for base Sonic to back up his Frontiers base self being immeasurable. I’m fine with either approach, as long as base Sonic in Frontiers and those on par with his speed are scaling to the speed of the Titans in some capacity.

Update:

Over the course of the thread it’s kinda become apparent that everything regarding the nature of the Ancients’ dreams warrants a discussion on Maginaryworld’s cosmology.

As seen in the game, Cyberspace does offer multiple different areas to explore within the realm, at least 5 (City, GH, Chem Plant, Sky Sanct., and the fishing hole). This, in tandem with the Ancients’ collective dream capacity reaching an infinite size, hints at the possibility that the Ancients possess a collective Multi+ dream capacity, or at the very least there is an infinite dream volume composed of multiple separated dreams going into Maginaryworld, a place that already contains countless other dreams. And while this likely shouldn’t be taken seriously at all, WoG has stated that Maginaryworld could “maybe” hold an infinite amount of dream worlds. (15:37 November 2nd Bkast).

So, Maginaryworld can potentially become either a 2-A cosmology (upgrading all the game 2-Bs to 2-As), or at least have the size of dreams in Maginaryworld upgraded to a maximum size of infinite 3D space while maintaining a 2-B cosmology.

The only problem is that none of the individual stages in Cyberspace showcase any kind of stellar cosmology, so the question of whether Cyberspace and Maginaryworld can hold an infinite stock of realms, or just one realm of infinite size, can be discussed.

New Discussion: Potentially upgrading Maginaryworld to Multiverse+ size, and potentially upgrading speed tiers (either base or lower tier super forms) to infinite speed based on scaling to Void’s corruption speed of Maginaryworld, Erazor Djinn and the Ifrit Golem’s absorption and destruction speed respectively, and the Phantom Ruby’s creation speed used in its attacks.

Last edited:
What have you done
th

I feel like we see Super Sonic only matching the Wyvern in flight speed and barely being faster which is weird and the fact these bosses can beat Super Sonic with some attacks makes me question this scaling in general as Base Sonic is downright said to just not be enough.

But I guess you can argue for MFTL+ Base with this, just I'm not gonna even touch Immeasurable.

You kinda have to click on the tiny picture below the ad.

And if you zoom the screen in enough you can see the text on the embedded image.

But this immediately falls apart with Wyvern, who flat out was bloodlusted by Sage and lashing out in anger. There’s no way it could have held back, and yet Sonic still outpaced it.
And it stays ahead of Super Sonic for most of the boss fight.

All I can do is look at what the game shows, which is that base Sonic was capable of dodging and keeping pace with the bloodlusted Wyvern’s missiles. Wyvern can still be overall faster, with Sonic managing to dodge due to the aid of the environment or other external factors.

But I guess you can argue for MFTL+ Base with this, just I'm not gonna even touch Immeasurable.
Base is already MFTL+ for awhile now for its own feats.

Anyways I disagree with scaling base Sonic to super forms period, no matter what the tier is. It's simply an outlier

Gonna have to disagree with this as well.

I'll start with MFTL+ Titans and The End because that's the most finnicky part here. From the get-go, we know Super Sonic is at his peak every time he appears due to Sonic's line about needing the Emeralds and some luck to take Giganto down (who is weaker than Titans such as Knight). That, alongside the Titans being empowered by the Chaos Emeralds themselves, doesn't allow for the Titans and The End to be anything but Immeasurable. Especially when Solaris' attacks showcased non-finite speeds alongside the Time Eater who's flat Immeasurable.

Which leaves us with Base Sonic and Immeasurable speed, which I also disagree with in-part. It's nonsensical for the fact that Base Sonic, or any Base character, should in no way be anywhere near comparable to Super Sonic at his peak. This has been a mainstay of the franchise'e narrative for years, and I can tell you why it's changed here with one despised term; PIS. Despite Wyvern having its rage awakened by Sage, we do blatantly see within Super Sonic's fight that Wyvern was capable of going MUCH faster than when it was chasing Base Sonic. We fly across the entire island across the fight with it, covering large amounts in seconds that dwarf Sonic's chase scene against it. This is just fiction being fiction.

There was an idea that Sonic should get a separate Immeasurable Speed rating for the feat he performs in Generations, akin to how it's done for Post-Crisis Barry Allen, but this is something that's been brought up since years ago and never came to fruition. At worst, maybe something like that can finally be applied.

Last edited:
I still don’t see why base Sonic can never ever be on par with super Sonic at any point, we have several times where base Sonic stands up to threats that are super level or were super level, and either dodged their attacks or outright defeated them.

Just for reference, how many times does it have to happen before it finally crosses the threshold into acceptability?

Moreover, if base Sonic was actually infinitely slower than the Titans, what would be the point in having to outrun them or catch up to them? They would easily catch Sonic and kill him every single time.

But if immeasurable is unacceptable, can a “possibly infinite speed” be applied, for the feats mentioned above?

I still don’t see why base Sonic can never ever be on par with super Sonic at any point, we have several times where base Sonic stands up to threats that are super level or were super level, and either dodged their attacks or outright defeated them.
Time Eater is really the only true examples of this from what I recall. Super Mecha Sonic was unable to harness the true energy of the Master Emerald due to not being an echoes (It's why he's At least Low 2-C). Perfect Chaos using the negative energies of the Chaos Emeralds relegates it to MFTL+. Hell, I'd double down on calling the Time Eater a heavy outlier due to Classic Sonic (who is confirmed to just be past Sonic again).
Just for reference, how many times does it have to happen before it finally crosses the threshold into acceptability?
When the feats at this level can hold their weight in a franchise with over 30 years of history, moreso in terms of consistency rather than numbers. Let's say we do take into account all the things you listed; that's 12 or so instances across the franchise. And that's the problem, they aren't centralized anywhere except for recurring occasions in Frontiers. But Sonic and co. being Infinite Speed by as early as Sonic Shuffle, a game in the early Adventure Era, is wrong.
Moreover, if base Sonic was actually infinitely slower than the Titans, what would be the point in having to outrun them or catch up to them? They would easily catch Sonic and kill him every single time.
This is no different than what fiction writers do all the time; they aren't thinking about how much something makes sense, just the best way to drive a narrative.
But if immeasurable is unacceptable, can a “possibly infinite speed” be applied, for the feats mentioned above?
I still think "Immeasurable by travelling through time" is valid, so I'm not completely against it.

Neutral on Infinite Speed. Can you do a mock-up of what you think Sonic's Speed description would look like with this and what key it would apply to?

Obviously the narrative doesn’t know these Titans are immeasurable speed, but if the narrative was trying to push that the Titans were faster than Base Sonic could ever hope to achieve/incomprehensible speed to him, it clashes with the narrative also saying you need to outmaneuver them to progress.
——————
MFTL+ for the reasons already stated on the profile, possibly Infinite (Was capable of dodging attacks from Void, whose powers could corrupt, destroy, and cross all dreams in Maginaryworld, which can reach an infinite size as a result of the Ancients possessing a collective infinite (23:45) amount of hopes, dreams, and memories (2:14:31). Superior to base Erazor Djinn, who absorbed energy from across the Arabian Nights and returned said energy (1:33), and the Ifrit Golem, who could burn half of the Arabian Nights to nothing (17:39), with the Arabian Nights containing an infinite sized space. Was able to keep up with and outpace the attacks of a Death Egg Robot amplified by an overclocked Phantom Ruby, which could create spaces of an endless size and uses that energy to attack with.

If it were to be applied it would probably be to post-Forces I’d think, Runners kind of throws a monkey wrench in Sonic scaling to Erazor, but Infinite being stronger than anything base Sonic has faced prior would probably put him above energy absorbed base Erazor.

Last edited:
Mostly to avoid the outlier moniker, if people are okay with it I’d be fine moving it to Adventure era.

If anything, the series being a single timeline might make it make more sense retroactively to have Adventure era at max speed.

I am not super convinced on infinite speed to be honest. I have an easier time accepting it if we don't scale everyone to it, but that's hard with the Shuffle feat since the Core 4 scales to that

Tbf there are other cases on this wiki where everyone in a verse pretty much scales to infinite (Blazblue off the top of my head).
But I understand.
At the very least Super forms should upscale this, though, if applying it to base is problematic.

Immeasurable speed sonic sounds legit if im going to be fair. Base sonic was able to defeat Perfect Chaos in generations, and even if you argued that aside from it being considered an outlier that it would put him at Massively FTL+ at best, it still goes to show that Sonic as a whole has gotten a lot stronger and faster than he did in his earlier games. Granted, I do want to do my own CRT on the sonic games in terms of tiers and super transformations, but I agree with Sonic being immeasurable/infinite for the time being.

Was capable of dodging attacks from Void, whose powers could corrupt, destroy, and cross all dreams in Maginaryworld, which can reach an infinite size as a result of the Ancients possessing a collective infinite (23:45) amount of hopes, dreams, and memories (2:14:31).
Just noticiced that if we actually decided to go through with this upgrade then we would have to upgrade the cosmology to 2-A because infinite dreams means infinite universes. If that's even usable

We just know the dreams are capable of filling up infinite 3D data, not necessarily that there is an infinite amount of dreams. So 2-B can probably stay.

That's not what you said, you posted as if there's infinite dreams in Cyberspace, not that each dream is infinitely big

Honestly, Immeasurable Sonic makes sense here. Even though Super Sonic is shown consistently faster than Sonic, Sonic still get's a ton of weird Super Level Speed Feats.
Things that come to mind are the afformentioned Chaos, Time Eater, and Titan fights, as well as scaling through Shadow to Metal Overlord (Shadow, Team Dark, and all the heroes except team Sonic held off and kept pace with Metal Overlord, who later kept pace with Super Sonic: It could be argued that Metal was holding back to some extent against Shadow and Co. I admit though), and the previously mentioned Sonic Advance 3 having some weird scaling (Eggman could react with his Eggmobile to Super Sonic, Sonic obviously reacts to said Eggman in base.), And Sonic Battle (Metal Overlord needed Super Sonic and some... Semi-Super Tails and Knuckles. Emerl downloads the same Data that put Metal on this level (Sonic, Shadow, Chaos), and more, too (Knux, Gamma, and the entire cast of the game as a whole), and Sonic still reacted to, and defeated him, in Base. Could be dubious in some way with this assuming Emerl is at least comparable to Metal Overlord, I again admit.).
And let's not forget that Infinite should scale above all previous Robots that Eggman considers his own at bare minimum (Metal Overlord, Emerl/Gemerl), and at best include characters like the Time Eater, depending on how you wanna interpret some statements, and Sonic keeps pace with him. There are likely even more feats that showcase that sonic can be similar or equal to his Super form in speed, and at some point PIS stop's working. I think that the argument that Sonic cannot be in the same tier of Speed as Super inherently is a fallacy, as much as I like to believe Super is significantly faster, and OP makes great points.

Things that come to mind are the afformentioned Chaos
Chaos isn't immeasurable
as well as scaling through Shadow to Metal Overlord (Shadow, Team Dark, and all the heroes except team Sonic held off and kept pace with Metal Overlord, who later kept pace with Super Sonic: It could be argued that Metal was holding back to some extent against Shadow and Co. I admit though)
Overlord isn't immeasurable and they fought Metal Madness, an incomplete form, not Overlord.
and the previously mentioned Sonic Advance 3 having some weird scaling (Eggman could react with his Eggmobile to Super Sonic, Sonic obviously reacts to said Eggman in base.),
Gemerl isn't immeasurable and Eggman's eggmobile feat is already used in the pages
And Sonic Battle (Metal Overlord needed Super Sonic and some... Semi-Super Tails and Knuckles. Emerl downloads the same Data that put Metal on this level (Sonic, Shadow, Chaos), and more, too (Knux, Gamma, and the entire cast of the game as a whole),
The FEB was too strong for Emerl to absorb, he isn't super form tier
And let's not forget that Infinite should scale above all previous Robots that Eggman considers his own at bare minimum (Metal Overlord, Emerl/Gemerl), and at best include characters like the Time Eater, depending on how you wanna interpret some statements, and Sonic keeps pace with him.
The Phantom Ruby is already super form tier, Infinite isn't.

The only valid points here are Time Eater and the Titans and they were already adressed earlier in the thread.

The only valid points here are Time Eater and the Titans and they were already adressed earlier in the thread.
The problem here is that I'm not using most of these to argue for Inaccessible. I'm arguing that saying Sonic can't be Inaccessible because he can't be as fast as Super Sonic when there are numerous situations where in there are beings who could compete in speed with a super form and then turn around and are competed with by a Base Form just makes no sense. Saying that Sonic can never be as fast as Super Sonic is a blatant fallacy.

Also, literally the only difference between Overlord and Madness is that one has Wings and the other doesn't. It makes no sense for there to be such a large disparity in speed for the rest of the body. When you have beings like Time Eater controlled by Eggmen and Wyvern clearly bloodlusted and attacking Sonic, you can't just dismiss it as them holding back their speed. Yes, maybe it looks like in game, Wyvern moves faster in the Super Fight. But that can easily be game mechanics dictating that it appears faster- Especially considering that realistically, if all of the Sonic Character's show their speed in game without it being slowed down, we would literally not be able to see what's going on because they're FTL and higher easily.

Tl;dr, Arguing that Sonic just cannot feasibly be as fast as Super Sonic or at least comparable is a fallacy, and it seems unlikely that in lore, Wyvern or Time Eater would be holding back, and since we have seen before that Sonic can compete with his Super form on at least a small level in speed, it's not unfathomable that base Sonic can be considered of the required Speed Tier to avoid Immeasurable opponents- Especially since he blatantly did so, again, in the cases aforementioned and beyond.

That's not what you said, you posted as if there's infinite dreams in Cyberspace, not that each dream is infinitely big
What I meant was, the collective scope of the Ancients’ dreams could result in infinite data inside a single universe, so the collective size of the dreams relating to the Ancients could result in an infinite size.

What I meant was, the collective scope of the Ancients’ dreams could result in infinite data inside a single universe, so the collective size of the dreams relating to the Ancients could result in an infinite size.
Infinite sized universes are already a thing, so I don't know why you went through hoops and loops for it

Mainly so I could apply infinite size dreams to Maginaryworld to scale Void (and by extension base Sonic’s) speed to it.

This is wrong. Metal Madness has a weakspot and lacks moves that Overlord has. The Chaotix straight up refer to it as an incomplete transformation
I'll relent in that regard, but the rest of my argument remains; The idea that Base Sonic's speed could never be comparable to beings that can keep up with his Super Form is built on fallacious reasoning that ignores previous cases where this has blatantly been possible, so this version of Sonic having Immeasurable Speed isn't something that would be impossible following how he fares against Immeasurable beings, and in fact, as stated before, Generations not only has the time eater argument, but also the restoration of time argument, which I would heavily suggest be added to the reasoning in correlation with his feats against Immeasurable beings.

Just noticiced that if we actually decided to go through with this upgrade then we would have to upgrade the cosmology to 2-A because infinite dreams means infinite universes. If that's even usable
Actually I think I’d be fine with that, if Maginaryworld can already hold multiple spatially disparate worlds and can hold an infinite volume it might as well be Multi+

Back