• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Canonicity of RWBY x JL Crossover Comic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elaborating upon an event derived from lore within a given context does not necessarily provide conclusive evidence of its canonical status within said context.
Why is that?

Plus it's not just the fact that it expands on said event that makes it canon.

Expanding on an event from a lore in a story does not automatically make it canon because the canon status of a story or event within a lore is determined by the creators of that lore and their guidelines for what is considered canonical.

So unless the creator themselves created specific criteria for what they consider to be part of the official canon such as adherence to established lore, consistency with other canonical events, and endorsement by the creators themselves.
Yes, one of the lead writers for the show co-wrote the story

And yes, this comic follows the guideline that every other canon piece of extended media for the verse follows and has been directly endorsed by the writers of rwby

You can't simply say
"And yes, this comic follows the guideline that every other canon piece of extended media for the verse follows and has been directly endorsed by the writers of rwby"
without providing some reasoning or evidences, weekly

Weekly. I suggest you take your time in properly gathering all the evidence. There's no need to go back and forth.

Also, please present all the evidence you have available. It greatly disrupts the conversation to constantly go back and rediscuss things because of a new piece of evidence that should've been brought up in the first.

As for Deagonx, I ask that we tone down the accusations. They are unneeded and only invites clogging for the thread. We are already at the second page and we still apparently lack all the info.

Let's all simply wait for Weekly to bring up all that we've asked about.

And why exactly does that make it non-canon?
No one is making that argument. We are only discussing this because you misrepresented the situation, not because it makes it non-canon. It's non-canon due to the contradictions mentioned in the OP and because there is no actual reason to consider it canon.

Yes, one of the lead writers for the show co-wrote the story

What is the evidence for this?

has been directly endorsed by the writers of rwby

No, this is a lie. The 2019 statement is not an endorsement of a 2021 comics that didn't exist yet. That's nonsensical.

No one is making that argument. We are only discussing this because you misrepresented the situation, not because it makes it non-canon. It's non-canon due to the contradictions mentioned in the OP and because there is no actual reason to consider it canon.

What is the evidence for this?

No, this is a lie. The 2019 statement is not an endorsement of a 2021 comics that didn't exist yet. That's nonsensical.
There are no contradictions. I've already addressed that multiple times. The only thing you perceive as a contradiction is the fact that they didnt explicitly name drop the comic in the movie.

I'm aware of your opinion that there aren't any contradictions.

look at the characters you say are the same individually, then turn around and tell everyone on this thread that this dude who's supposed to be Batman(by your argument) just so happens to have bat wings instead of bat ears
You seem to have misunderstood my argument. The team in the comics and the team in the movie aren't the same people, but they're extremely similar to such an extent that it is very strange that they would not be recognized. Are you denying that these two characters look extremely similar?

uMgpW3R.png
cKMAhVM.png

Yes, one has wings and one has ears, but everything else is nearly completely identical down to the color scheme, scarf, et cetera.

Clark actually literally looks exactly the same and even introduces himself to them as "Clark." Just like in the Crossover comic.

You seem to have misunderstood my argument. The team in the comics and the team in the movie aren't the same people, but they're extremely similar to such an extent that it is very strange that they would not be recognized. Are you denying that these two characters look extremely similar?

uMgpW3R.png
cKMAhVM.png

Yes, one has wings and one has ears, but everything else is nearly completely identical down to the color scheme, scarf, et cetera.

Clark actually literally looks exactly the same and even introduces himself to them as "Clark." Just like in the Crossover comic.
Handpieces are different, waistpiece is much different, movie has a scar, comic has a far more prominent scarf thing, hell, even the proportions are different seeing where the waistpiece is

And show me

uMgpW3R.png
cKMAhVM.png

And again, they do not meet batman until the end of the film, and when they do it's in the middle of an active warzone. Your argument that its non-canon because the cast didnt collectively stop fighting just to outwardly acknowledge that batman looks vaguely like Bruce from three years prior makes zero sense.

Let alone the issue that every other character looks radically different

Handpieces are different, waistpiece is much different, movie has a scar, comic has a far more prominent scarf thing, hell, even the proportions are different seeing where the waistpiece is
I asked you a question that went unanswered: Are you saying that in your opinion, these two characters do not look extremely similar? Im not asking you to play "spot the difference."

Your argument that its non-canon because the cast didnt collectively stop fighting just to outwardly acknowledge that batman looks vaguely like Bruce from three years prior makes zero sense.
This is a strawman.

I asked you a question that went unanswered: Are you saying that in your opinion, these two characters do not look extremely similar? Im not asking you to play "spot the difference."
Except differences play a large part in remembering someone, especially since you last saw them over 3 years prior

Looking similar doesnt mean you would just assume they're the same person. Even facially Bruce and Batman look completely different, let alone them being two different species
This is a strawman.
How is it a strawman? Its literally the argument you're making.

Except differences play a large part in remembering someone, especially since you last saw them over 3 years prior
My question has not been answered I see.

Looking similar doesnt mean you would just assume they're the same person
Not the argument I'm making.
How is it a strawman? Its literally the argument you're making.
No, it isn't. That's why I'm referring to it as a strawman.

Deagonx, as you yourself said at the start, you both have made your point with the character designs. Simply wait for Weekly to bring up the evidence requested, mainly:
  • The memory erasure
  • Any direct statement of canonicity

If neither can be brought up, we wait for Firestorm and Damage's evaluation. You yourself are contributing to unnecessary clogging. Please stop.

Seriously, if you met a guy for a few days, he left, and then three years later a guy with a similar outfit but a completely different face spoke to you, would you just assume it's the same guy?

My question has not been answered I see.
I see you have no counter then, and are simply just scrambling to try to rescue your argument instead of waiting until Weekly's IRL concerns of work and getting home are over so he can grab scans for this hobby.

Seriously Deagonx, your question is "Would you recognize someone from 3 years ago with pretty major differences to how they look?", and the answer is "no."

I can't even remember what some of my teachers looked like from that long ago and I sure as **** was around them longer then Team RWBY were with the Justice Dupes

Seriously Deagonx, your question is "Would you recognize someone from 3 years ago with pretty major differences to how they look?", and the answer is "no."
No, that was not my question. My question was: Do those two characters look extremely similar to you? And predictably, you avoided answering that question.

If you asked me: Would I recognize meeting a guy named Clark who looked like this:

IMG_9168.jpg

And later I meet a guy named Clark who looks like this:

BTRumeZ.png

Would I recognize them as being the same person? Yes.

In fact, I find it pretty bizarre for you guys to argue otherwise, but regardless, we've said all that can be said on the matter, so all that's left is for Weekly to update his rebuttal with the memory scans and for the staff to come to a consensus. We will not clog the thread any further with this.

I’m gonna be honest as to the whole RWBY comics referencing RWBY canon and the misunderstanding around that. I was actually a little confused about that whole ordeal.

Because originally I agreed that DC comics should be canon to RWBY because of what I interpreted as “the RWBY canon confirmed the RWBY comics.” As in what was referenced in the comics was later confirmed by RWBY canon. Not that “The RWBY comics referenced the RWBY canon.”

That is a big distinction that actually did kind of sway my opinion a bit so things like that should be clarified. Because it can and has swayed people’s opinion on the matter.

So just a friendly input on that matter.

I’m gonna be honest as to the whole RWBY comics referencing RWBY canon and the misunderstanding around that. I was actually a little confused about that whole ordeal.

Because originally I agreed that DC comics should be canon to RWBY because of what I interpreted as “the RWBY canon confirmed the RWBY comics.” As in what was referenced in the comics was later confirmed by RWBY canon. Not that “The RWBY comics referenced the RWBY canon.”

That is a big distinction that actually did kind of sway my opinion a bit so things like that should be clarified. Because it can and has swayed people’s opinion on the matter.

So just a friendly input on that matter.
Hmm? It's not being argued that DC is canon to RWBY at all, on the contrary the one where RWBY goes to DC is explicitly non-canon, and the other two are one-sided canon that scales exclusively to rwby and nothing else

Hmm? It's not being argued that DC is canon to RWBY at all, on the contrary the one where RWBY goes to DC is explicitly non-canon, and the other two are one-sided canon that scales exclusively to rwby and nothing else
No I’m saying like. The way the statement was phrased, it read like the comics first established something, that “something” in this case being the rocket that traveled to outer space, and then RWBY canon confirmed that something to actually happen in the series when the thing first appeared in the comics, but in actuality it was the other way around. Where RWBY canon first established something and then the DC comics later elaborated on that already pre-established thing.

The former in my opinion is very concrete and direct evidence of canonocity while the latter isn’t as much so.

No I’m saying like. The way the statement was phrased, it read like the comics first established something, that “something” in this case being the rocket that traveled to outer space, and then RWBY canon confirmed that something to actually happen in the series when the thing first appeared in the comics, but in actuality it was the other way around. Where RWBY canon first established something and then the DC comics later elaborated on that already pre-established thing.

The former in my opinion is very concrete and direct evidence of canonocity while the latter isn’t as much so.
Ye, that's sorta the case with all extended media, everything was written long after the fact when they had a clearer vision of how they wanted the story to be so it is more in line with the canon

The way the statement was phrased, it read like the comics first established something, that “something” in this case being the rocket that traveled to outer space, and then RWBY canon confirmed that something to actually happen in the series when the thing first appeared in the comics, but in actuality it was the other way around. Where RWBY canon first established something and then the DC comics later elaborated on that already pre-established thing.

Yeah, exactly.

Will be home in about an hour, but just out of curiosity do I need to do a full response if I just post the WoG saying the comic is canon?

Will be home in about an hour, but just out of curiosity do I need to do a full response if I just post the WoG saying the comic is canon?
It's up to you what you want to post, but no one can predict how a full post vs just your WoG will persuade other staff.

Are you referring to the 2019 panel again or is there a new WoG that we have not seen before?

Oh, also: Can you link the interview in which the movie is confirmed as canon? I took your word for it, but looking closer the rest of the fandom appears to regard it as non-canon, so either this interview is not well known or this is another instance of shenanigans.

Oh, also: Can you link the interview in which the movie is confirmed as canon? I took your word for it, but looking closer the rest of the fandom appears to regard it as non-canon, so either this interview is not well known or this is another instance of shenanigans.

It's the former, because the film is absolutely canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back