• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Code for Anti-Necroposting (Staff only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skalt711 said:
window.LockForums = { expiryDays: 90,
Code:
 expiryMessage: "This thread has not been commented on for over <expiryDays> days. There is no need to reply, unless it is part of the versus forum." };
This variation works?
Looks good.

I don't really see a need to punish necros when sometimes the thread is still valid. It isn't a black-and-white scenario.

Mr. Bambu said:
I don't really see a need to punish necros when sometimes the thread is still valid. It isn't a black-and-white scenario.
We're not talking about punishing necros, this is just about implementing the code warning someone they're necroing.

I was under the impression this was for outright preventing posting

Then I guess I'm neutral and have no constructive criticism.

Promestein said:
Yeah, I don't think it should prevent replies but just displaying a message is fine.
Pretty much this, imo.
And not just because I'm that guy who necro'd and reversed a match thread over a year after it concluded.

I would have supported this preventing comments without consulting a disc. mod, but I see no issues with this.

I'm fine with this proposal. It really would help cut down on necro-posting, imo.

It seems like this has been accepted then.

Unfortunately, I am using a tablet, which doesn't work very well for copy-pasting new code.

Perhaps Promestein would be willing to handle it?

Feel free to politely ask Promestein to come here again via her message wall.

On second thought, after reading the instruction page below again, I am not so sure that this script only gives an automatic warning message. It seems like it may automatically lock the threads instead, and that is not what we intend.

https://dev.fandom.com/wiki/LockForums

@Bobsican

Okay. Thank you.

@All

I would appreciate input regarding my last previous post in this thread.

There seems to be a piece of code that implements this feature. But I'm afraid that I may mess up with it if I want to turn it off.

Code:
expiryDays: 180, warningDays: 30,
The second one is used for warnings, the first one is used for locking. So either we can set the first one to "infinite" (I don't know if that will work), or a number that's sufficiently large?

Maybe we could set expiryDays to 730 days/2 years or somesuch then?

Yeah if you don't want to lock threads just set it to some arbitrarily high number.

On second thought, Expiry days could be omitted, but iirc; there been times where threads that were three years old got necro'd.

I do not think that omitting expiryDays will remove the locking feature, just set it at an automatic early interval.

Somebody could ask in the technical forum over at Community Central though.

Yeah, omitting expiryDays in the settings will only set this variable to a default value of 30 days.

Is there some other script that '''only''' creates a warning message?

Someone could probably just ask about it over there.

Okay, I´ll go ahead and ask there, I´ll even link the thread for the question when it´s published.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back