• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Discussion Thread 100

Honestly, why does this exist?

Goku (Dragonball Evolution)

I don't think we need to profile this film and it should be deleted
Why shouldn't we have this profile? Regardless of the quality of the movie, VBW is an indexing wiki at the end of the day and Evolution has enough material and shit to warrant a profile here.

You don't have to like Evolution, I don't like it myself, but there's no reason to delete it

Why shouldn't we have this profile? Regardless of the quality of the movie, VBW is an indexing wiki at the end of the day and Evolution has enough material and shit to warrant a profile here.

You don't have to like Evolution, I don't like it myself, but there's no reason to delete it
I don't see why there should be a reason for it to exist

I don't see why there should be a reason for it to exist
Because it has enough material to it to give it a profile......? It doesn't matter if Evolution is a bad movie or not, all that matters here on the wiki is if it can indexed and tiered or not.

Again I don't like Evolution, but my feelings are irrelevant to a profile's existence here on the wiki. And there's a lot of franchises and characters that would be deleted off the wiki if we were to do things by our emotions instead of facts, so no that alone isn't enough.

Because it has enough material to it to give it a profile......? It doesn't matter if Evolution is a bad movie or not, all that matters here on the wiki is if it can indexed and tiered or not.

Again I don't like Evolution, but my feelings are irrelevant to a profile's existence here on the wiki. And there's a lot of franchises and characters that would be deleted off the wiki if we were to do things by our emotions instead of facts, so no that alone isn't enough.
I never said that I don't like Dragon Ball Evolution, I even like the film, but I don't see why it should have just one profile.

I never said that I don't like Dragon Ball Evolution, I even like the film, but I don't see why it should have just one profile.
I mean to be fair, the Piccolo from Evolution has a profile here on the wiki so it's not only Goku has a profile. But I digress, since Evolution has enough significant information and feats to be indexed here on the wiki then it shall be indexed so again I don't understand why the DBE Goku and Piccolo profiles should be deleted

Stuff like Dragon Ball Kakumei can't be indexed on VBW due to it being a fan made story and not officially made or an original piece of fiction, that's why the FC/OC Wiki exists for such things involving fanfiction like Kakumei
But Dragon Ball evolution didn't have Akira's hands like Dragon Ball Z or GT to be declared as official, it's more like something that isn't accepted as Dragon Ball by Akira

But Dragon Ball evolution didn't have Akira's hands like Dragon Ball Z or GT to be declared as official, it's more like something that isn't accepted as Dragon Ball by Akira
As @Huesito88 just pointed out, Evolution is a licensed piece of work that legally uses the Dragon Ball license from Toei and those who own Dragon Ball. Kakumei, meanwhile, is LITERALLY FANFICTION THAT WASN'T GIVEN PERMISSION FROM TOEI TO USE THE DRAGON BALL LICENSE. That's why Evolution is allowed but not Kakumei, because one is officially licensed and the other is just a fan made story

As @Huesito88 just pointed out, Evolution is a licensed piece of work that legally uses the Dragon Ball license from Toei and those who own Dragon Ball. Kakumei, meanwhile, is LITERALLY FANFICTION THAT WASN'T GIVEN PERMISSION FROM TOEI TO USE THE DRAGON BALL LICENSE. That's why Evolution is allowed but not Kakumei, because one is officially licensed and the other is just a fan made story
But is there really anything saying that it was licensed by Toei?

But is there really anything saying that it was licensed by Toei?
I need to make some corrections after doing some research, as I realize that Toei isn't the sole owners of Dragon. See, here's somethings you need to understand about Dragon Ball's ownership: Toriyama is NOT the sole owner of the entire franchise, he created Dragon Ball and is credited as such but he does not hold total control over the entire franchise across every aspect.

Shueisha (the publishing company which owns things like V Jump and Shonen Jump) are the ultimate right holders of Dragon Ball, Toei owns the rights to the anime, Bandai are the owners of Dragon Ball merchandising, and etc. So while Toriyama is certainly important and is the creator of Dragon Ball, it cannot be stated enough that he doesn't have full control over the licensing. Now why's this important to Evolution? Because the company who made Evolution, 20th Century Fox, bought the American film rights to Dragon Ball from Shueisha and were given permission by them to use the characters in a live action movie without Toriyama's involvement or say so.

Kakumei, on the other hand, is objective fanfiction created by a fan of Dragon Ball without any official permission from Shueisha and those who also own Dragon Ball...otherwise it would be distributed and sold for commercial purpose, yet the creator of Kakumei keeps it free and non profited because they'd get sued for trying to make money off of licensed work. That's why Evolution is allowed on here but Kakumei isn't, because the former is licensed while the later isn't

I need to make some corrections after doing some research, as I realize that Toei isn't the sole owners of Dragon. See, here's somethings you need to understand about Dragon Ball's ownership: Toriyama is NOT the sole owner of the entire franchise, he created Dragon Ball and is credited as such but he does not hold total control over the entire franchise across every aspect.

Shueisha (the publishing company which owns things like V Jump and Shonen Jump) are the ultimate right holders of Dragon Ball, Toei owns the rights to the anime, Bandai are the owners of Dragon Ball merchandising, and etc. So while Toriyama is certainly important and is the creator of Dragon Ball, it cannot be stated enough that he doesn't have full control over the licensing. Now why's this important to Evolution? Because the company who made Evolution, 20th Century Fox, bought the American film rights to Dragon Ball from Shueisha and were given permission by them to use the characters in a live action movie without Toriyama's involvement or say so.

Kakumei, on the other hand, is objective fanfiction created by a fan of Dragon Ball without any official permission from Shueisha and those who also own Dragon Ball...otherwise it would be distributed and sold for commercial purpose, yet the creator of Kakumei keeps it free and non profited because they'd get sued for trying to make money off of licensed work. That's why Evolution is allowed on here but Kakumei isn't, because the former is licensed while the later isn't
That doesn't seem like good proof.

He got me there that's for sure, I genuinely can't think of a good response to such a well thought out and put together counterpoint.../s.

That doesn't seem like good proof.
But jokes aside, I'm speaking the truth here unfortunately. There is a reason why all Dragon Ball related anime is done by Toei, or why any and all Dragon Ball games are published and licensed by Bandai, or any Dragon Ball movies in America are shown with the 20th Century FOX logo....because all three owe a certain aspect of the Dragon Ball franchise, but all the rights ultimately come from Shueisha. So again, Toriyama is the creator and is credited as such but he isn't in sole control of what Shueisha and the like do with the franchise.

He got me there that's for sure, I genuinely can't think of a good response to such a well thought out and put together counterpoint.../s.

But jokes aside, I'm speaking the truth here unfortunately. There is a reason why all Dragon Ball related anime is done by Toei, or why any and all Dragon Ball games are published and licensed by Bandai, or any Dragon Ball movies in America are shown with the 20th Century FOX logo....because all three owe a certain aspect of the Dragon Ball franchise, but all the rights ultimately come from Shueisha. So again, Toriyama is the creator and is credited as such but he isn't in sole control of what Shueisha and the like do with the franchise.
I understand the games, animes, and films with Akira's hands, but Dragon Ball evolution is very far from something official, in any case it doesn't even want to be mentioned anymore by Toei or Akira, I think stopped being official years ago

I understand the games, animes, and films with Akira's hands, but Dragon Ball evolution is very far from something official, in any case it doesn't even want to be mentioned anymore by Toei or Akira, I think stopped being official years ago
What you think doesn´t matter too much in this case tbh, if it was approved by one of the people that has the rights of DB then it is official unless something proves otherwise

What you think doesn´t matter too much in this case tbh, if it was approved by one of the people that has the rights of DB then it is official unless something proves otherwise
I mean the back of Evolution's DVD cover gives credit to Toriyama and Shonen Jump/Shueisha, and if it was no longer official then I doubt Shueisha would allow it to be distributed or streamed online. Plus considering that Evolution was made after 20th Century FOX bought the rights to film distribution in America, that would mean that they asked Dragon Ball's owner about making a live action movie and they gave FOX permission

Very good, my opinion doesn't count, but what do you have to say about these things?

At the 2014 Wizard World Convention, actor James Marsters expressed feelings that he was misled about Dragonball: Evolution, claiming, "they told me it was a $120 million picture, and that Stephen Chow was producing. And I get out to Durango, Mexico and it's a $30 million picture and Stephen Chow is just on paper to fool us down into the desert. And they don't even want to pay for the stuntman to get made up like me, so they never used the stuntman; they just kept putting me up on wires. I still have a separated clavicle from the shoot, because it was just gnarly."

He didn't even know what was doing about this film.

Very good, my opinion doesn't count, but what do you have to say about these things?

He didn't even know what was doing about this film.
Luffy, both of these quotes are 100% irrelevant to the discussion and the argument being made...these are actors and writer talking about how they feel about the movie, not that it's no longer officially licensed.

And again if it wasn't considered licensed anymore then why would Shueisha allow it to be streamed online when it's apparently using the Dragon Ball name illegally? So either I'm missing something, or it's just that Evolution is officially licensed

This doesn´t prove that the film ins´t official
This proves that the film was not made as Dragon Ball should be, it is contracting the work soon and in addition there are official words from Akira saying that it is neither canon nor official (he even mentions that it is not it's Dragon Ball)

The film's creator had no experience with the work, nor even had any involvement with Akira, it is not described as official

This is simply not an official story like Dragon Ball Heros, GT, Super, and Dragon Ball Z

You can even say that it is official, but you are extremely mistaken in thinking that it is, this film did not even have any involvement with Toei, only the rights were purchased (this does not state anything that is official) just that a poorly developed project with no knowledge left to work, it simply stopped being official when Akira came out to the public and said that it's not Dragon Ball, apart from the creator saying that he didn't know anything about Dragon Ball, I think we have a lot of reasons why this shouldn't even be considered Dragon Ball

This proves that the film was not made as Dragon Ball should be, it is contracting the work soon and in addition there are official words from Akira saying that it is neither canon nor official (he even mentions that it is not it's Dragon Ball)

The film's creator had no experience with the work, nor even had any involvement with Akira, it is not described as official

This is simply not an official story like Dragon Ball Heros, GT, Super, and Dragon Ball Z

You can even say that it is official, but you are extremely mistaken in thinking that it is, this film did not even have any involvement with Toei, only the rights were purchased (this does not state anything that is official) just that a poorly developed project with no knowledge left to work, it simply stopped being official when Akira came out to the public and said that it's not Dragon Ball, apart from the creator saying that he didn't know anything about Dragon Ball, I think we have a lot of reasons why this shouldn't even be considered Dragon Ball
Man, i am don't know If i argue against you or just make a joke.

Because

Luffy, both of these quotes are 100% irrelevant to the discussion and the argument being made...these are actors and writer talking about how they feel about the movie, not that it's no longer officially licensed.

And again if it wasn't considered licensed anymore then why would Shueisha allow it to be streamed online when it's apparently using the Dragon Ball name illegally? So either I'm missing something, or it's just that Evolution is officially licensed
Having the right to something is one thing, but it's completely different from being official, this no longer has any involvement with Shueisha, this company simply has the right to publish just that, it's like Netflix that has the right to publish some anime in its catalog that aren't theirs, they're just using the name Dragon Ball, although various proofs that I've stated don't make this movie even Dragon Ball to tell the truth.

Toriyama is not the sole owner of Dragon Ball as I have pointed messages ago, so it's irrelevant what he says...regardless of its quality, Evolution uses the Dragon Ball name and therefore it's considered Dragon Ball media.
This is actually horse shit, as it turns out that Toriyama acted as a creative consultant to this movie so he did have involvement in Evolution. Given that Akira has a tendnecy to forget even basic shit like Android 18 having blonde hair, I have no doubt he forgot he was a creative consultant for the movie.
Completely and totally irrelevant here....it has the name, it's credited to Toriyama and Shueisha, and it's distributed under their permission, so it is in fact an official story.
Didn't I explain this earlier? Fox only bought the rights to distribute DB movies in America and the rights to any live action movies that may be made, the article that I linked about Toriyama's involvement also states that they "concluded a rights deal with Shueisha, the Japanese publisher of the comic." This means that they, in fact, did need to get permission to make a live action Dragon Ball movie and that there was involvement.

So bottom line; Like it or not, Evolution is in fact officially licensed DB media and no amount of appeals to emotion will disprove the evidence I've provided which states otherwise

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask it (Title says "Dragon Ball Super Discussion Thread", & this is more about DB/DBZ than DBS.), but I Googled a bit & couldn't find answers:

What is an in-universe reason why infant Goku's ship got him to Earth faster than the 1 year it took Vegeta or Nappa's ships?

The answer that seems obvious, is not in-universe: It's "Plot-Induced Stupidity"/Authors neglected/Authors can't do math.

Goku was an infant (If not newborn, IIRC.) when he was sent, & I don't recall any indication more than a year passed before his ship crashed on Earth & Grandpa Gohan found him.

A speculative answer might say that Saiyans set the pods for their immature invaders to have awful conditions so that:
1. The ship spends more resources on getting to the target ASAP than on silly stuff like "life support".
& 2. The young saiyan's already aggressive & malleable saiyan biological "programming" kicks in from the poor conditions followed by a crash's rude awakening & a sudden food supply to get it to go berserk & eat & kill everything sooner rather than later.

But it's worth getting a second opinion & seeing if anyone else has any other info on the matter.

Pardon any bother, please, all.

We lack information of where Vegeta and Nappa were, and how much time Goku actually spent. According to the Daizenshuu chronology, if we assume he was sent in the beginning of year 737, and got there by June-August like the page says, he took 7-8 months, which is reasonable.

Keep in mind that the Daizenshuu claims Goku was born this year, that has been retconned.

Toriyama is not the sole owner of Dragon Ball as I have pointed messages ago, so it's irrelevant what he says
He is the highest authority on whether or not a story is part of his universe or not. If you have no other counterclaim of the DBE movies being canon/part of the universe, then we have a statement disregarding them. End of story.

If you have no other counterclaim of the DBE movies being canon/part of the universe, then we have a statement disregarding them. End of story.
I'm not claiming that it's canon or part of the series, only that DBE is officially licensed DB media. It's absolutely not canon to the manga, anime, GT, Super, Heroes, and all that jazz...but it's still got the name so I consider it as being part of the name

Toriyama is not the sole owner of Dragon Ball as I have pointed messages ago, so it's irrelevant what he says...regardless of its quality, Evolution uses the Dragon Ball name and therefore it's considered Dragon Ball media.

This is actually horse shit, as it turns out that Toriyama acted as a creative consultant to this movie so he did have involvement in Evolution. Given that Akira has a tendnecy to forget even basic shit like Android 18 having blonde hair, I have no doubt he forgot he was a creative consultant for the movie.

Completely and totally irrelevant here....it has the name, it's credited to Toriyama and Shueisha, and it's distributed under their permission, so it is in fact an official story.

Didn't I explain this earlier? Fox only bought the rights to distribute DB movies in America and the rights to any live action movies that may be made, the article that I linked about Toriyama's involvement also states that they "concluded a rights deal with Shueisha, the Japanese publisher of the comic." This means that they, in fact, did need to get permission to make a live action Dragon Ball movie and that there was involvement.

So bottom line; Like it or not, Evolution is in fact officially licensed DB media and no amount of appeals to emotion will disprove the evidence I've provided which states otherwise
It doesn't seem to be something licensed, and even Akira says that this isn't Dragon Ball

I have to agree that it doesn't actually follow Dragon Ball faithfully and much less should it be called something licensed
Akira himself said that they didn't listen to him and didn't want to change things, even the creator of this movie said that he knew absolutely nothing about Dragon Ball, sorry, but that's not official at all, bro. That doesn't sound like Dragon Ball to me, there's no script for one, terrible development, the creator was just trying to make money out of it '-'

I can't understand where you're going with all this, since the evidence I've put in your hands makes it not official Dragon Ball at all

Back