• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Movie: Broly is finally Canon!

I'm honestly interested to see how Toriyama treats this new Broly. I just hope we don't get another letdown like we did with Jiren

I mean Toriyama was the reason Jiren was a letdown "kinda" when they asked him to give him more active personality he was like "Jiren doesn't talk!!"

Idk, his whole "Freindship is lame" thing kinda rubbed me the wrong way. And we've had a lot of "overwhelming force" villains in DB throughout the years, and we've seen with the likes of Cell and Frieza that it is possible to give them an active personality that's entertaining. Cell's explanation/shit talking of how he survived the explostion to the Z-Fighters was pretty entertaining.

I know that Toriyama can give us cool characters with cool personalities (Vegeta, Piccolo, etc), so I'm hoping he can pull it off again here with New Broly

Not terrible at all being "stoic" is a personality as well,he simply is just blunt.only wrong with him is he had a generic backstory.

Jiren's character is underrated, he'll probably get more development when super returns, I thought jiren was perfect for the TOP scenario. This broly is going be a ******* beast though, I never lose faith in toriyama I literally consider him as a god and I believe this broly is going to be interesting, badass and strong as **** stomping everyone that is not an angel. I would absolutely love if broly started beating the shit out of beerus then gogeta or ui goku had to save him.

Frantzy12 said:
Not terrible at all being "stoic" is a personality as well,he simply is just blunt.only wrong with him is he had a generic backstory.
a generic backstory isn't necessary a bad thing, Jiren whole character is just flat and boring, literally, the only thing going for him is that "he's super stronk" and nothing else

He was triggered because Goku is talking about friendship lol

Like seriously lol he was in a tourament with his universe on the line and is the leader of the pride troopers (look at how they look up to him as this unbeatable force),nothing is wrong with his introduction.

I just hope they decide to at least give us a more detailed look into Jiren's mindset and character instead of letting him fade into the background now that he's been defeated

His annoyance is justified though,Jiren and Goku are polar opposites in how they obtain strength.All his friends and family were slaughtered so he cut off that connection in order to be truly strong.

The manga continuty of DBS showed that Cell Jr. have the same level of regen as Cell. Can they be updated? They are alive in Super. Android 17 domesticate them.

Too late I did that on the discussion thread, but let's be real someone will probably make it before us anyway

My concern is that SSBE may have just been a ToP exclusive thing, which would suck.

Does Broly have some kind of False Super Saiyan form?

>>> Mfw I see people saying:

>>> "Broly is badly written"

>>> "Broly has a poor motivation"

>>> Implying people watch Dragon Ball Broly for the plot more than to see characters punching each other and things blowing up

>>> Which Broly turned out to actually be pretty good at doing in his series.
Howquaint
2018 and they still haven't woken up.

>>> Plot/motivation mattered/matters about as much for Broly's popularity as the Plot in most generic Harem series out there.

I don't think anyone expects Broly or anything in DB to be a well written masterpiece. It's just that Broly is so bad that even by the extremely low standards of DB they still don't like him.

I mean he's a giant walking stereotype of what DB haters think the series is all about (a stupidly OP, ridiculously muscular meat head who does nothing but scream) and he's got the worst motivation ever.

That being said, could be interesting to see this reboot for the guy, now with Tori's hand in it.

The trailer is looking fine, too. I'm quite surprised he *did* become canon, tho. I'm glad actual Broly is coming back, as long as he doesn't stop mid-episode every two minutes to go "Ane" whatever like Kale.

If I want drama of that direction, I can usually find it in series that are more focused on that kind of development and do it way better than Kale ever could.

I was mostly fine with Caulifla - and I learned to tolerate how OP they made Kefla and Caulifla's whole tingly feeling deal - but Kale was no different to me than a horrible attempt at making me feel for her with a generally pretty cheaply constructed history that, in the long run, only managed to annoy me to no end.

Nowhere near as much as Broly's lack of a proper motivation ever bothered me. They literally made her Broly but with the reason he was annoyed at goku: Crying/being generally annoying for like three hours. I'll take "mindless beast" over that "satellite-spinning-around-Caulifla" characterization any day of the week. Thank you.

Ryukama said:
I don't think anyone expects Broly or anything in DB to be a well written masterpiece. It's just that Broly is so bad that even by the extremely low standards of DB they still don't like him.
I mean he's a giant walking stereotype of what DB haters think the series is all about (a stupidly OP, ridiculously muscular meat head who does nothing but scream) and he's got the worst motivation ever.
Thing is, I could quote the above reply in response to this and it would still make sense.

Broly being badly written from a plot standpoint doesn't matter.

He does what an immense ammount of the fanbase wants to see in the series. Battles, explosion, displays of power and so on. That matters way more for what people expect of his character than some backstory - throughout all these years, having a backstory for him was the last priority for the character.

He has its haters, but every character out there has them. His number of fans is massive even without any of the plot - even this movie is a testament to his popularity. For the kind of show Dragon Ball is, it works.

I think jealousy of someone seemingly taking the person you care most about away from you and anger towards your own inadequacy is a much better motivation than "he cried when we were babies". I mean basically anything is better than Broly's motivation. I'd even take a plain simple "Haha I'm evil!!!" over it.

Back