• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fullmetal Alchemist Revision - Part 2, Scaling First Half (8-C Characters Physical Stats Revision)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Alright, as promised, here is the second Fullmetal Alchemist revision thread. It will tackle the actual statistics of the characters. First off, let's talk about the bulk of the characters, the ones that are currently 8-C, Edward, Alphonse, Scar, and just about everyone else that scales to that level. I said this was gonna be the last but it got too long, I still have a lot of scaling stuff to talk about and while most of it does affect only one or two characters, some might get controversial so we will wait on that eh.

Striking Strength​

Currently, 8-C comes from two calculations, the Sloth crater in chapter 66 and the explosion Edward survives in chapter 76. I have recalculated both of them [1, 2], and Sloth's feat is now 9-A+/8-C, while Edward's is 8-B. That... is not good, they're way too far apart to be considered consistent especially with Sloth (even casual) being the absolute strongest in this tier. So I went and calculated a lot more feats. [1, 2]

Those blogs contain a bunch of unrelated stuff that I will get into later or just not use at all, and more relevantly:
  • A fairly casual 2+e9 J 8-C feat, done by Gluttony, who is among the stronger people on this level, but fights just about anyone and gets hurt by them too.
  • And then, a little bit of an annoying feat: a 8+e9 Joules feat that Edward and Fu survive, although we don't know how far away Fu was. Regardless, it was pretty close to Ed, so it would definitely scale to him. The issue here, is that the same kinda bomb completely blows Gluttony apart when shoved in his mouth.
So... I dunno. Obviously Ed was farther from the explosion but if that is assumed to have have played a significant role then the feat isn't really usable. Now, I do think 8-C is consistent no matter what, the bomb feat is roughly 4x Gluttony's own one so it makes sense that it would destroy him, and we do have Sloth's 9-A+/8-C feat as backup, a more serious Sloth attacks an injured Armstrong multiple times and he's in fighting condition even afterwards so it does scale to the cast. My issue here is whether we should scale them to the 2+e9 feat, or downscale them from the 8+e9 one. I have no real issues with either, I'm fine no matter what, maaaaybe slightly prefer the 2+e9 one to be safe but either works. Please do state your preference.

Scaling stays the same with one minor exception: Mustang ripped apart some of Lust's flesh and also punched Edward hard enough to make him reel, so he scales to 8-C.

Speed​

Not much changes scaling-wise, just about everyone scales to anyone in speed and that is how it should be, early Edward and Al get blitzed by Scar but they end up downscaling back to him because Ed fights Greed who fights Izumi who fights Sloth who fights Armstrong who fights Scar, and that doesn't really matter because Ed and Al catch up to Scar in speed anyway as the series goes on.

That needs to be estabilished, though, because I am slightly suspicious of the current Supersonic+ feat, which is Ed dodging a bullet from Marcoh. The bullet is already whizzing past Ed's head by the time of the next panel so we don't know just how much he moved in relation to it, and at this level of distance one should also account for the gun's length, since the bullet doesn't come from the tip but the center of it. Recalculated that way, I got Subsonic+, which does fall in line with this Transonic feat I calculated.

Now, the real issue... You know how I said everyone scales to everyone in speed? Well, the one, partial exception to this is Wrath, the speed god tier of the verse (minus Truth), and the only one with a speed feat above Transonic, Hypersonic in this case. Now, Hypersonic isn't an outlier for the verse, while they do struggle somewhat with guns they can dodge bullets pretty consistently, with the only people that really get tagged consistently being the Homunculi, who don't care about getting shot at all. The issue is based on whether anyone else should scale to Wrath:

Wrath has a tendency to hold back and an even stronger tendency to blitz just about anyone when he doesn't, the only instance of someone keeping up with Wrath is a tag-team of Ling and Fu, who land no hits on him during the whole fight and end up losing anyway, he's only defeated by a sneak attack that gave him a mortal wound, and even after that he's slightly faster than Scar, who's among the quickest in the cast. Conclusion, I don't think anyone but Wrath scales to Wrath's own Hypersonic feat.

Lifting Strength​

And this is where the cold, hard logic I brought to the table is replaced by just shrugging, admitting this is a mess, and eyeballing stuff. I jest, but also not really, Lifting Strength in FMA is a mess, Edward Elric basically never grapples anyone in a straightforward way, Scar never grapples anyone due to the fact that landing a grab is already an instant win for him, and so on- It's good writing, shows that Arakawa has a great eye for how her characters would approach a fight instead of making them just do stuff cause it looks cool... But it also makes scaling a mess. Just about nobody would scale to anyone LS-wise even when they are clearly estabilished to be stronger, which feels pretty wrong when the show's actual showings of LS are all pretty coherent.

So, here's my proposal for LS scaling, it has a couple minor assumptions in it and I am willing to change it, but it makes sense at least to me. Without these assumptions the scaling would be a mess, for example Alphonse would be Peak Human despite being one of the physically strongest characters in the series, so I think this is the best way to work it out. Open to suggestions, though.
  • Feat 1: Lan Fan and Fu have a Class 10 feat.
    • Edward and Lan Fan can grapple each other.
      • Alphonse is strongerthan Edward.
      • Scar is generally portrayed as much stronger and faster than Ed and Al early on (with the chapter where they fight Lan Fan and Fu being part of that "early on"), and the two choose to work together to pin him down (In the same scan Scar also stops a punch from Ed), so "Possibly Class 10".
      • Izumi basically never grapples (she throws Sloth once but by using his momentum and she sure as **** ain't Class K) but trained Ed and Al and is much stronger than them so I think possibly Class 10 should work.
  • Feat 2: Envy can jump around with his Class 10 weight.
    • Scales only to Envy, however the feat is just below Class 25 (9.53 tons vs 10) and he's much stronger in his true, giant form, so likely Class 25 for it.
    • Ling can grapple Envy somewhat but is weaker. Considering he should be on par with Lan Fan and Fu I'm just reporting this as additional evidence for him to scale to their Class 10 feat.
  • Feat 3: Greed stops a truck, Class 25.
  • Feat 4: Alex Armstrong stops Sloth, Class K.
    • Sig Curtis shared a LS feat evenly with Armstrong, and considering it was strong enough to kill Sloth I think saying he's equal-ish to Armstrong in strength should be fine, especially considering that whole scene where they show off their muscles to each other.
    • Sloth is way stronger than them still so Class K for him too.
      • Father probably upscales from Sloth by virtue of being, y'know, Father.
  • Feat 5: Darius throws a huge block, Class K.
    • Maybe scales to the other chimeras?
  • Olivier, Hohenheim, Mustang, Lust, Xiao-May Chang, The Slicer Bros, Barry The Chopper all are screwed scaling-wise, even with the few assumptions I made.
    • Mustang tossed Maria Ross easily with one hand so Peak Human.
    • Lust and May never do any grappling so they're screwed, May should be Athletic and Lust likely Superhuman by virtue of being a Homunculus.
    • The Slicer Bros and Barry have the same kinda physiology and are all explicitly stated to be at least somewhat comparable to Al, so maybe they can scale to him with a possibly, "possibly at most" for Barry since he's weaker.
    • Hohenheim gets a likely Superhuman, you could scale him to Father but I disagree with them being equal physically since they use their powers in a different way.
    • Olivier... yeah, Olivier is just screwed. Superhuman for tossing Alex around, I guess, but with him saving her from Sloth's tackle he's clearly the stronger of the two, she's just more skilled and less hesitant to hurt him.

Last edited:
Read about half of this and skimmed over the rest however what I saw looks good and makes sense to me, assuming tho this is to get more discussion rather than just applying these calcs and doing a little scaling rework right?

Assuming tho this is to get more discussion rather than just applying these calcs and doing a little scaling rework right?
A little, mostly regarding on what people thing about the validity of the 8-C explosion feat, if people wanna FRA the rest it's good in my book.

Good idea, hadn't thought of that. Apparently gas explosions are pretty unimpressive tho.
My only issue with that study is that it used a mixed gas. Roy just kinda ignites the preexisting oxygen lingering in the air, making it to go boom boom.

If you could find the same type of article but for oxygen based explosions without a mixture would probably be more preferable.

I mean, that would just be Below Average Human in results, considering he just shifts his head compared to the projectile

A little, mostly regarding on what people thing about the validity of the 8-C explosion feat, if people wanna FRA the rest it's good in my book.
Hm I'm probably not the best to speak on it but I'd say the gluttony end would probably be better purely considering it'd take more assumptions with Fu's distance from the explosion though then again Ed is at basically point blank range so🤷‍♀️

Also to be fair about the bomb, it was dropped inside of him. Typically speaking we don't give innards the same durability as your exterior. Hence why we have durability by attacking organs, so I don't really see the issue with Gluttony getting blown up by it.

Also to be fair about the bomb, it was dropped inside of him. Typically speaking we don't give innards the same durability as your exterior. Hence why we have durability by attacking organs, so I don't really see the issue with Gluttony getting blown up by it.
I mean, it destroyed his upper half completely which includes his muscles and skin, so I wouldn't use that argument.
As for him jumping away from the explosion? It seemed to be pretty close to him given that we see smoke from his body.
Idk, gas explosions aren't shockwaves so they'd be a lot slower, hard to gauge or calc but I wouldn't expect anywhere close to Hypersonic

Just one question will stamina be affected in future revisions? I do recall there is a thread trying to fix how we rate stamina on the Wiki.

Everything seems fine on first glance and yeah it kinda fits in with what we already established about the verse with most of the cast being tier 9/8 (The only exceptions being Truth, Father, Pride and Philosopher's Stone users).

Also like @LordGinSama said although we all have intrinsic bias towards our favourite verses and against verses we dislike it's better to go with accuracy so I wouldn't mind if speed ratings do get downgraded (Outside Wrath and those who scale above him).

I'm mostly glad we're finally getting some legit LS ratings now, it was jarring seeing several FMA profiles being listed with the cursed unknown rating.

Just one question will stamina be affected in future revisions? I do recall there is a thread trying to fix how we rate stamina on the Wiki.
Kinda? I mean I'm gonna just put it in the profile proposals when they're done.

For the AP scaling, in my opinion downscaling them from the 8+e9 would be better, but I can understand arguments made for them upscaling from the 2+e9 feat.
Regarding speed, from what I remember the cast dodge bullets consistently, so the Transonic rating is fair. The Hypersonic rating might be tricky, but it's also true that Wrath doesn't have reasons to hold back against Greed/Ling after he got stabbed by Buccaneer, and I remember that Scar could keep up with his speed during their fight. However, an argument could be made that Bradley was slower in some way because of the wound, so I will wait and see the opinion of other supporters.
I also fully agree with the LS part.

upscaling from the 2+e9 feat.
Minor correction, they don't really upscale, in fact most of them downscale slightly since Gluttony is pretty strong.
Wrath doesn't have reasons to hold back against Greed/Ling after he got stabbed by Buccaneer, and I remember that Scar could keep up with his speed during their fight. However, an argument could be made that Bradley was slower in some way because of the wound, so I will wait and see the opinion of other supporters.
It was explicitly called a mortal wound twice, and Bradley points out he's in a really poor state, I don't think he would be as fast as usual.

Oh, also, there is one character that does scale to Wrath, Sloth, who's explicitly called the fastest homunculus. Only movement speed tho, no reactions.

Welp everything is pretty unanimously agreed on it's literally just the bomb calcs that're to be decided and I'd still say imo going with the gluttony one seems best

**** you, rejected and I'm banging your mom tonight.
For outside observers, I pinged him on Discord, like twenty times.

Anyway unless more people specify their preferences I will go with the 2+e9 Joules end, the Gluttony feat, yeah.

Checks out for me except for the Lifting Strength.

Feat 1: Lan Fan and Fu have a Class 10 feat.
Personally I am fine with it, but it was concluded as a policy that impact force that doesn't involve grabbing, such as launching someone away via. kicking, shouldn't be used to calculate Lifting Strength, and jumping works on similar principles.

Ling can grapple Envy somewhat but is weaker. Considering he should be on par with Lan Fan and Fu I'm just reporting this as additional evidence for him to scale to their Class 10 feat.
While Envy's regular appearance is stated to be abnormally heavy while fighting, this doesn't mean that he can't reduce his weight below his transformed from's or that his regular appearance's weight scales to his transformed form. For one, he is not constantly sinking the ground passively as he is noted to do in the forest, and he can do things like sit on a wooden chair and drive a car:
0049-009.png
0063-028.png

Did Greed really stop the truck by pushing it? He stabbed the engine, and his feet skidded across the ground as he got pushed back, the disabled engine then started to make noises exploded soon after:
0100-029.png
0100-030.png

Feat 4: Alex Armstrong stops Sloth, Class K.
Unlike in the anime, it doesn't appear that Alex Armstrong stopped Sloth's high-speed tackle. Olivier dodges Sloth slamming his arm/elbow into the wall, then Alex comes from behind Sloth and starts attempting to wrestle him:
0092-037.png
0092-038.png
0092-039.png

Personally I am fine with it, but it was concluded as a policy that impact force that doesn't involve grabbing, such as launching someone away via. kicking, shouldn't be used to calculate Lifting Strength, and jumping works on similar principles.
Except that jumping is a push, not a strike. It's a gradual if quick application of gradual force to attain momentum, not an instant impact. Ugarik, the dude making the thread, has approved previous feats of that sort if that serves as any help, not to speak of other calc members present in that discussion who also have.
While Envy's regular appearance is stated to be abnormally heavy while fighting, this doesn't mean that he can't reduce his weight below his transformed from's or that his regular appearance's weight scales to his transformed form. For one, he is not constantly sinking the ground passively as he is noted to do in the forest, and he can do things like sit on a wooden chair and drive a car.
I would consider those to be just minor mistakes from the author (in fact if they came before the reveal of Envy's true form it might just be a small retcon). It's called equivalent exchange after all, not kinda maybe samey-ish exchange, that mass isn't coming from nowhere especially since Arakawa goes out of their way to point it out. Regardless those acrobatics are pulled off in combat so it would scale to his LS anyway.
Did Greed really stop the truck by pushing it? He stabbed the engine, and his feet skidded across the ground as he got pushed back, the disabled engine then started to make noises exploded soon after:
The speed lines are gone as he punches it so I would assume he at least greatly slowed it down.
Unlike in the anime, it doesn't appear that Alex Armstrong stopped Sloth's high-speed tackle. Olivier dodges Sloth slamming his arm/elbow into the wall, then Alex comes from behind Sloth and starts attempting to wrestle him:
No? He clearly put himself in the way, the middle page out of those you posted is clearly framed to hide Alex's presence and he has absolutely no reason to push him away from that wall after the tackle is concluded, at least none so immediate. Alex' arm is also dislocated by the impact which clearly means he took the impact lmao.

Last edited:
I thought that several staff members have accepted the OP's suggestions, including the AP.

Well see the point of it was we had to pick an AP value. Which no one bothered to specify.

Well see the point of it was we had to pick an AP value. Which no one bothered to specify.
It was already specified a couple of times already actually so ig u just missed it
imo going with the gluttony one seems best
For the AP scaling, in my opinion downscaling them from the 8+e9 would be better, but I can understand arguments made for them upscaling from the 2+e9 feat.
I'm fine no matter what, maaaaybe slightly prefer the 2+e9 one to be safe but either works. Please do state your preference.

What still needs to be evaluated here exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back