• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Hopefully not controversial Post Crisis Superman AP Description Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m pretty sure Superman is clotheslining Thawne in the scan as opposed to Thawne dodging/phasing. There’s a sound effect to emphasize the impact and Thawne compliments Superman for tagging him.
IMG_5476.webp
Is the feat good enough to use as supporting evidence for the relevant statistic though? Thawne didn't seem particularly bothered by it, after all. I don't think this proves Superman can scale to the guy's durability.

Is the feat good enough to use as supporting evidence for the relevant statistic though? Thawne didn't seem particularly bothered by it, after all. I don't think this proves Superman can scale to the guy's durability.
It would be weird if he didn't. I mean, this Superman and a Flash

The problem to me is that do we have any evidence that Thawne's dura is "at his peak" In this scene

I doubt Superman was aiming to kill Thawne anyway in this scene.

The problem to me is that do we have any evidence that Thawne's dura is "at his peak" In this scene

I doubt Superman was aiming to kill Thawne anyway in this scene.
Tbh, I find separating speedsters' durability based on if they're moving or not really silly. It's just blatant headcanon, not once was it officially stated that their durability depends on movement

Tbh, I find separating speedsters' durability based on if they're moving or not really silly. It's just blatant headcanon, not once was it officially stated that their durability depends on movement
Yeah, unless there's explicit explanations that the characters can change their durability on a whim (I think Superman could do something like that with his Bio-Electric Aura, not sure if it's exclusive to All-Star), I see no reason to make their durability vary at all. You can hold back your strength, but not your durability.

Yeah, unless there's explicit explanations that the characters can change their durability on a whim (I think Superman could do something like that with his Bio-Electric Aura, not sure if it's exclusive to All-Star), I see no reason to make their durability vary at all. You can hold back your strength, but not your durability.
It at most deservers a variable rating

I mean, their AP varies depending on how fast they're moving, and they can tank the recoil of their own attacks, so they're dura does kinda vary also by default.

I just think it's more odd that Thawne is a massive stonewall when I don't he's ever been shown as such.

I mean, their AP varies depending on how fast they're moving, and they can tank the recoil of their own attacks, so they're dura does kinda vary also by default.

I just think it's more odd that Thawne is a massive stonewall when I don't he's ever been shown as such.
Our DC stats are odd in general

It would be weird if he didn't. I mean, this Superman and a Flash
Being superior doesn't mean your AP scales to your dura, just that ones AP>AP of the other.

Even if he does, for argument's sake, the scan doesn't really depict that is my point. Superman tags him and Thawne...compliments him. Not even for his power, but his speed and it shows absolutely no evidence that Superman challenged his endurance levels at all. This scan is just objectively bad for powerscaling, at least by itself imo.

You can hold back your strength, but not your durability.
In fiction that kind of thing happens too though. The first example that comes to mind is when Dante got pounded into the ground by Nero to the point he almost devil triggered, whose best feat is being overpowered by (and later overpowering) a pocket dimension creator after the former's portrayal in multiple games with 2C villains simply because he was being an arrogant jobber and "underestimated" him.

Also, I mean, I always thought the varied tier for durability is kind of implied since the scope of durability itself can vary. A character can survive an attack resulting in them being functional but injured. They would still scale to the level of damage the attack dishes out but it's not really invulnerability to weaker attacks people imply it to be unless being depicted as such. Theoretically, they can still be harmed by much weaker attacks.

Objectively speaking there's no rule saying they have to hold some gimmick to be hurt by a weaker X character. Unless they're taken out by it, it's not necessarily PIS or a contradiction (unless it's like, High 3-A characters and above in relation to the lower tier characters).

I kind of feel like durability is kind of misunderstood on most battle versus sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back