• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Eficiente

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
So, can we make a page for Standard Equipment to establish its rules?

They are several cases in which people seem to disagree with some things, with we always having profiles that contradict what they think, and since nobody seems to have the time to discuss this one just doesn't know what's right. I will give some examples:

Some Mario characters have an item called Safety Ring that prevent and protects them from being OHK, elemental attacks and some forms of Status Effect Inducement, this item (or at least the version that does this) only appears in 1 game, and is one of many optional equipments. For vsthreads, we always say that the Mario characters who had access to this in that game will always have this item equipped since the beginning of the match. This contradicts a lot with all the people I've heard saying that Standard Equipment is only the things a character usually carries with him.

Other problem is when some videogame characters have in their Standard Equipment things they randomly find (most of the times in a limited amount of games), and that may only last a limited amount of time. Go to Mario's profile, then to his third image. There you have an example.

A less important situation is when a character can summon his equipment, sometimes this is added in his Standard Equipment, sometimes it isn't. I personally add this with a "Can summon" at the beginning and I believe that everyone should do the same or something similar. Some profiles already do this, but not all of them. I find very funny how all JoJo profiles have Stands in their equipment next to things that they actually have with them.

And speaking of JoJo, DIO has a Steamroller in his Standard Equipment... This is pretty cool but is it accurate? He found that thing and used it once. At least videogames character can find limited things many times. I have also recently seem that the veracity of Kira's Stray Cat as part of his Standard Equipment has been doubted, which I find ridiculous, yet I have no way to predict whether it will be removed in the future or not.

I honestly had some issues with that as well, especially with characters like Mario. Having a specific item on you in one or two games when you have dozen shouldn't be treated as "Standard Equipment". This quickly ends up with characters being portrayed as far more versatile and haxxed than they are in 90% of their series.

I brought this up not to long ago and was wondering the same thing.

I appreciate the support, and suggest the idea of highlighting the thread.

I feel like there should be a difference between Standard Equipment and the potential equipment a character could get. Right now, we seem to treat SE as everything the character has owned and possessed for an extended period of time, which doesn't represent well what the character would normally have on them at all time (in combat situations at least).

Obviously we don't use one time short uses like Harry Potter getting the Elder Wand or Danny Phantom getting the Reality Gauntlet.

LordGriffin1000 said:
Obviously we don't use one time short uses like Harry Potter getting the Elder Wand or Danny Phantom getting the Reality Gauntlet.
Alex Russo has the Stone of Dreams, to give one example.

I agree that the character wouldn't have everything they've ever shown on them for a battle.

Also Dio has a steamroller on his SE? What?

@Eficiente

Was it a one time short use? Don't remember the series that much.

Gotta love how we treat characters having all their equipment even when they dont and then characters like The Hunter (Bloodborne) are only able to get new equipment after they die in a thread

Not to say this is wrong for someone like the hunter but there are characters who should be treated with the same standards that arent

@Assalt Most likely it would be their standard or iconic weaponry. Cloud for instance would get his buster sword but not his other swords, The hunter would start with the blunderbuss and saw cleaver.

Maybe we should just separate standard equipment into standard stuff and optional / occasional stuff.

I mean like "Standard Equipment: x, optional equipment: y."

That would also solve the issue that determining peak equipment for characters becomes difficult once hax comes into play.

I think this should be something people specify for characters with vast arsenals. I'll specify gear when using someone like a Space Marine, the Dark Souls protagonists, am making a blog detailing the effects of Destiny exotic weapons so people can assign weapons to PCs once their files are fixed, etc. For RPG characters without a definitive loadout, or people like Space Marines who are more a type of soldier than any one character, OP should specify what they've got. People do this for stuff like Composite Human as well.

In destiny you can transmat in weapons and armor on a whim but starting arsenal is still important especially for armors, before anyone asks.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
I honestly had some issues with that as well, especially with characters like Mario. Having a specific item on you in one or two games when you have dozen shouldn't be treated as "Standard Equipment". This quickly ends up with characters being portrayed as far more versatile and haxxed than they are in 90% of their series.
I completely agree with this.

So will there be a section for "optional equipment" or something? I agree btw Also, how will we treat chars that can summon additional equipment stored via Hammerspace?

Most likely. "Section" as in just a "Can optionally utilize:/Has momentarily used:/Etc." at the end of the Standard Equipment while being part of it.

Back