• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I am regrettably too busy to handle this myself, but I hope that other staff members will be able to organise it.

It doesn't seem like this thread will lead anywhere.

As I said many times, it should be highlighted. It is an important matter that changes multiple pages.

Just my two cents: I guess with RPG characters the thread maker can specify which setup the character will currently use or something, so long is possible to make that setup in-game. Unless there are pieces that are canonically used, like as mentioned above the Ribbons in FF.

Composite Link already goes against canon by making him much more powerful that he ever has been in the games and give access to different things that are separated by timelines and don't even exist in the same universe, kinda the point of him is having everything at his disposal, so he doesn't really have a standard equipment like canon game incarnations. I could be wrong on this one though.

I am not sure what to do. I only give game characters equipment that they start out with, or gain in the main storyline. Tho I admit this may not be correct.

I guess it depends on what the user wants? I'd personally go with the best setup against their matchup, both ways, I mean the RPG character gets the best combination to face this particular opponent, but his opponent also gets the best equipment to fight the RPG character. Though placing a "basic equipment only" rule for both sides works too.

I just feel it's kinda gimping the RPG character to just limit them to their most basic stuff if you then proceed to give other non-RPG video game characters power ups and such that are never mentioned in-story, are not needed to progress in the game, are optional or appear just once; and also if said character is never shown to be able to carry power ups with him for future use or just put them away. Especially if their opponent uses all their stuff.

To give an example: some people say when Cloud and Link fight Cloud should be banned from using materia at all because no canon evidence says what he uses, which is fair enough to an extent, but they insist in using composite Link with all the stuff from all the games, which completely contradicts canon. That's what I mean with gimping more or less. It'd be fine if it was AC Cloud, who indeed doesn't use Materia, against a canon incarnation of Link, like OoT, BotW or so, and even then the standard equipment must question if bonus or side-quest stuff Link gets can be considered part of the standard equipment. But if you're going to use a super powerful incarnation of the character, the opponent should get his best shot at least.

That's what I think at least. I could be talking out of my caboose >_> though

No, no. "Basic equipment only" is a senseless restriction, we are trying to make the standard equipment being used by default, with everything else being optional.

I'll be blunt, if a character's equipment is player dependant, the OP should either say what he has, or not use that character at all.

I can understand that it's hard to do so in-case you don't know the character, but then either go and ask someone who does know or just don't bother. Putting in effort into making vs battles should take precedence regardless.

Standard Equipment should mention what is possible to obtain, but it should be clarified whenever or not they are all equippable at once. If not, use what is done in-canon, or if not then see above.

@Risci: That kinda was my first point, I agree.

@Eficiente: With the "basic equipment only" I meant it as an example some sort of custom rule to be possibly used in matchups make it fair in the scenario fair when lacking a Standard Equipment, not replacing the Standard Equipment altogether.

EDIT: Your proposal seems pretty good, BTW. I'd add what Risci mentions regarding characters that are player dependant about their equipment and leave the possibility for the thread maker to specify which setups are being used. Otherwise seems the way to go.

Equipment for RPG characters should just be everything they can get as equipment in the game. They always carry that around, and subquests are no different from minor arcs in which a shonen character gets a new ability or something.

Why was this highlighted? It's versus thread oriented, which is pretty low on the priority list.

It's also quite the formatting change for a bunch of characters' profiles.

TriforcePower1 said:
Equipment for RPG characters should just be everything they can get as equipment in the game. They always carry that around, and subquests are no different from minor arcs in which a shonen character gets a new ability or something.
There are several rpg's where you can either not change them mid battle, or where you have a max amount of loot you can have on yourself.

In-fact, most rpgs make the idea of changing a full battle armor mid-battle impossible, and it's often game mechanics when it isn't.

Sera EX said:
Why was this highlighted? It's versus thread oriented, which is pretty low on the priority list.
Most RPG character, and many from series that have a different plot for every episode could be affected, as the idea of adding items that you can briely get was questioned.

Sera EX said:
Not really? Versus thread are a big part of the discussions, but it's also about creating a new term page like the AP, Speed etc and making changes to the standard format of a profile.

I need examples, because I think that's an exaggeration. Because last time I check, for example, in Dark Souls, once you get an item you keep forever unless you sell/drop it. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here. Unless the issue is assuming what can equipped at a single time.

The latter, mainly. While in some verdes like Destiny you can teleport in whatever you want on a whim, that is clearly not the case for a lot of these types of characters, with many having limits on what they can hold that we've been disregarding.

I've been playing skyrim, and unless I'm missing an item or power you can't hold more than 400 points of weight, while some arnors can nearly weight 50.

I don't that this requires changing a lot of pages. It's the OP of whatever thread's job to clarify what equipment they have. Pages should generally list all applicable equipment or at least link to a page where such a list exists for indexing purposes.

Sera EX said:
Well, we didn't get any input, but you can remove the highlight if you wish.

SBA should inherently give JRPG characters their best and/or most well rounded equipment, and Final Fantasy V protagonists for example should be a Freelancer with every job in the game mastered; meaning they can use all magic and special abilities used in said game. Limiting them to just two abilities to use for the rest of battle sounds like game mechanics.

It's fine. I was just curious since I've noticed the thread was created some days ago.

@Sera

Well, I agree that this likely isn't all that important, and would probably lead to too much unnecessary work, so it may be best to remove the highlight.

So, can we create a page for Standard Equipment to establish its rules yes or no?

Well, if other staff members are interested in helping out with a suggestion, I suppose that they can do so, but large scale revisions are not something that we can manage.

I may be able to later, if nobody else can. Then I'll post a draft, and we can evaluate. To restate this, what baselines do we need to set on the page?

So I can start this now, but I'd like a quick overview of what you guys want me to include.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
SBA should inherently give JRPG characters their best and/or most well rounded equipment, and Final Fantasy V protagonists for example should be a Freelancer with every job in the game mastered; meaning they can use all magic and special abilities used in said game. Limiting them to just two abilities to use for the rest of battle sounds like game mechanics.

Videogame characters=/=JRPG characters, also their best and/or most well rounded equipment=/=the equipment they usually carry.

Then you have JRPG characters who can't carry and use everything they have in battle, and those who appeared in more than one game that don't have certain things in the latter game. "Videogame characters gets their whole equipment" is just wrong.

Well yeah, JRPG are definitely well rounded, giving them everything to switch between is a little iffy; though having 99 Elixirs ect so something they can have in game. But maybe they have a select few weapons to switch between mid fight. Composite Link kind of does get special treatment due to being literally that, Composite. Samus already has her different suits separated, and is able to carry a bunch of it due to most of it being converted to digital data, material, and back again. But some FPS characters like Master Chief can only carry a few weapons at a time; around 4 normals sized guns or 2 big guns + some grenades. Though, there are other FPS characters like Doomguy who carry all his weapons in his bag, so he's fair game.

Back