• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Invincible season 2 general discussion

Would be the case but this is a remake of a comic in which smart atoms play a pretty important role

In that regard I think it's fine to assume that they exist in verse in order to avoid future changes
No like, because these are separate continuities, we can't just assume comic stuff, until said stuff is mentioned.

Under that logic we'd be able to assume pretty much everything else about the comic applies to the TV series, which it has already shown not to.

So, until then, we will be fine just listing the speed. It isn't going to take much effort to remove it if they are mentioned later.

No like, because these are separate continuities, we can't just assume comic stuff, until said stuff is mentioned.

Under that logic we'd be able to assume pretty much everything else about the comic applies to the TV series, which it has already shown not to.

So, until then, we will be fine just listing the speed. It isn't going to take much effort to remove it if they are mentioned later.
K but I'm gonna be looking at your real condescendingly when conquest mentions them in season 3

Show is peak so far. Can't wait for Levy to show up more I haven’t read the comics but i've seen panels.

Also I did a calc awhile ago for his durability which would make him 13.1666883936 times stronger than his comic book counter part which is shocking

Ayup, though I wonder if their gonna pull the whole "Warp mode" Viltrimites have in the comics to explain it

I'd rather wait a sec to see if that's the route they go
The sub-space thing is only ever mentioned in the handbook, and is contradicted by the comic. The comic actually shows them travelling through physical space, not teleporting lol. A lot of the handbook, in fact, has random stuff in it. It is outdated, after all. The 2 handbooks released between issues 34-35 IIRC.

Would be the case but this is a remake of a comic in which smart atoms play a pretty important role

In that regard I think it's fine to assume that they exist in verse in order to avoid future changes
Yeah I am of this opinion. The primary material clearly has them. It's logical to assume more similarities than differences without confirmation.

K but I'm gonna be looking at your real condescendingly when conquest mentions them in season 3
We gonna win ☠️. I always remember them from the leaflet though. Are they mentioned inverse?

The sub-space thing is only ever mentioned in the handbook, and is contradicted by the comic. The comic actually shows them travelling through physical space, not teleporting lol. A lot of the handbook, in fact, has random stuff in it. It is outdated, after all. The 2 handbooks released between issues 34-35 IIRC.
We never see them fly for extended periods. And if we do and they zip past planets and solar systems I'm more than fun accepting that the warp thing is bullshit. But until then...

Hmm, if mainline comic superman has statements of only going FTL when entering hyperspace, shouldn’t he be limited by that too?

Yeah I am of this opinion. The primary material clearly has them. It's logical to assume more similarities than differences without confirmation.

We gonna win ☠️. I always remember them from the leaflet though. Are they mentioned inverse?
They’re never once mentioned or even implied at in the comics. They’re never important to the comic either. They’re contradicted by comic showings/panels.

They’re never once mentioned or even implied at in the comics. They’re never important to the comic either. They’re contradicted by comic showings/panels.
How are they contradicted? The sun thing is a reference to their weakness that was even noted in the book.

We never see them fly for extended periods. And if we do and they zip past planets and solar systems I'm more than fun accepting that the warp thing is bullshit. But until then...
We don’t really need to. They’re not gonna dedicate a whole issue to show one character’s whole flight journey. I mean, they kinda do at one point show Mark flying from an unknown planet in another system to Talescria, and actually flying through space. Same as the 3 Graysons flying from a random planet they were on back to Talescria, perfectly in time to join back the battle.

Narratively, their flight being literal teleportation is kinda counter-intuitive. I’m entirely against that premise.

Is the teleportation really never mentioned or shown in the actual story? Idk why they’re being framed as plot important then.

How are they contradicted? The sun thing is a reference to their weakness that was even noted in the book.
How do you know them frying inside the Sun means it’s a direct nod to handbook? That sounds like a heavy assumption. Not only that, but the main point of contention here is the sub-space speed thing. I suppose some things can be correct if not contradicted, but others won’t be if the main source material shows otherwise.

Though, I’m more inclined to believe smart atoms aren’t really a thing in the comic itself, rather than vice-versa, since there is zero mention of it and how it gives most people in the verse powers. The handbook also says Viltrumites can passively absorb quantum foam energy and BG radiation, and the limits of their strength increase due to this. This is obviously isn’t true - they don’t absorb energy lol.

Is the teleportation really never mentioned or shown in the actual story? Idk why they’re being framed as plot important then.
It isn’t. I can guarantee this 100%. The only “link” people can make is that the handbook mentioned Viltrumite smart atoms can get overtaxed by prolonged exposure to heat, and that Thragg and Mark were being fried immediately as they entered the Sun.

In the same breath, Allen the Alien (whom also has smart atoms), was not getting burnt by the Sun at all, when he enters to scoop Mark out of it. I don’t get why the Sun case couldn’t just be the writer showing a general limit to their heat endurance.

Last edited:
I am reading the book and here are the noteworthy parts. Firstly Allen can only fly close to relativistic speeds and considers impressive lifting over 30 tons? Then Battle Beast who equals Thragg can only lift 20 tons? Black Samson can only resist up to high caliber bullets. Immortal can lift more than Battle Beast at 25 tons. And here we have Smart Atoms for Invincible. They explain how he flies, how he adapts to changes, his power and how he regenerates. Interesting to note that in the second handbook some values were changed especially in power to better make sense in the story with battle beast having only 50 tons, but a possible much more below. Omniman can lift 100 tons and here is the infamous scan which just means Nolan bends space rather than teleport. Red Rush had 10 times better reactions than Olympic athletes which imo sounds way lower than it should be and he also uses smart atoms.

I have finished handbook 2. It's weird to note that characters like Conquest and Thrugg were never mentioned in either of the two handbooks implying a third book should have been made, but never was. With this in mind I guess we can handwave away the handbook since smart atoms were never referenced in the show and just see the feats for what they are till they are potentially referenced. I'm talking about the animated version though. In the comics the handbook still exists. I would think in the animated version they will reference them somewhere if they want to include them in the working of the verse.

Because in the official handbook they were pretty extensively mentioned. I am gonna look at it and note weird parts though. Here are the science pages for the verse in which Smart Atoms are also mentioned. I posted all the relevant stuff from the first handbook and now on to the second.

Smart Atoms are literally the reason some of those people have powers there including all the Viltrumites.

It isn’t. I can guarantee this 100%. The only “link” people can make is that the handbook mentioned Viltrumite smart atoms can get overtaxed by prolonged exposure to heat, and that Thragg and Mark were being fried immediately as they entered the Sun. In the same breathe, Allen the Alien (whom also has smart atoms), was not getting burnt by the Sun at all, when he enters to scoop Mark out of it. I don’t get why the Sun case couldn’t just be the writer showing a general limit to their heat endurance.
Allen stayed for way shorter in the sun though.

I am reading the book and here are the noteworthy parts. Firstly Allen can only fly close to relativistic speeds and considers impressive lifting over 30 tons? Then Battle Beast who equals Thragg can only lift 20 tons? Black Samson can only resist up to high caliber bullets. Immortal can lift more than Battle Beast at 25 tons. And here we have Smart Atoms for Invincible. They explain how he flies, how he adapts to changes, his power and how he regenerates. Interesting to note that in the second handbook some values were changed especially in power to better make sense in the story with battle beast having only 50 tons, but a possible much more below. Omniman can lift 100 tons and here is the infamous scan which just means Nolan bends space rather than teleport. Red Rush had 10 times better reactions than Olympic athletes which imo sounds way lower than it should be and he also uses smart atoms.
After all this, wouldn’t you think the handbook is contradicted by LITERALLY everything? I mean, Allen even in his first appearance flew straight from outside the solar system to Earth’s orbit in a stated time-frame of 12 minutes. Relativistic speed is FAAAAAR too slow for this, and the fact that Omni-Man and GDA could track his trajectory from all the way outside the solar system mesns he isn’t “sub-space teleporting“ but actually moving through physical space. The 2 handbooks only came out within a month of each other too.

In the comics the handbook still exists. I would think in the animated version they will reference them somewhere if they want to include them in the working of the verse.

Because in the official handbook they were pretty extensively mentioned. I am gonna look at it and note weird parts though. Here are the science pages for the verse in which Smart Atoms are also mentioned. I posted all the relevant stuff from the first handbook and now on to the second.

Smart Atoms are literally the reason some of those people have powers there including all the Viltrumites.
They exist as much as DC universe handbooks too, which have similar statistics or power descriptions. They are contradicted heavily by the MAIN source material, which take precedence over them. They were extensively mentioned in the handbook ONLY. Not one single mention of them when the topic of Viltrumite biology came up; and it came up a lot of times in the comic.

Allen stayed for way shorter in the sun though.
The 2 Viltrumites started frying immediately as they entered the Sun. When they were fighting on the surface, they were fine. Even before they fully entered, Thragg punted Mark away at one point, and Mark’s back grazes the edge. He gets burnt straight away. The severe burning came from when they actually entered the Sun, as aforementioned - the same way Allen did, but he did not get fried even in the slightest (the panels following show him unscathed as he brought Mark back to the ship). Anyways, I can start listing off other instances and dialogue which debunk them “teleporting” for MFTL flight, but I think the evidence from Allen’s first ever appearance is proof enough.

The Flaxans were able to negate Nolan's abilities, which fits with Viltrumites gaining their mass and energy from some Quantum force. I don't any contradictions beyond the typical "able to lift 10 tons" stuff.

The Flaxans were able to negate Nolan's abilities, which fits with Viltrumites gaining their mass and energy from some Quantum force. I don't any contradictions beyond the typical "able to lift 10 tons" stuff.

They put a device on his ear. Pretty telling on what they were exploiting if you ask me…and if restricting their “absorption of Quantum foam energy” was a real weakness, you damn well know they would’ve brought it up during the Vilrumite War arc, and even much before/after. Thaedus had constant access to Viltrumite biology (his own body), and even Robot was in Flaxa for like 700 years; he didn’t seem to have any knowledge of it or try to exploit it when he takes over Earth later? There are a ton of contradictions, and the dude before listed them. Do you think Red Rush is 400mph?

They put a device on his ear. Pretty telling on what they were exploiting if you ask me…and if restricting their “absorption of Quantum foam energy” was a real weakness, you damn well know they would’ve brought it up during the Vilrumite War arc, and even much before/after. Thaedus had constant access to Viltrumite biology (his own body), and even Robot was in Flaxa for like 700 years; he didn’t seem to have any knowledge of it or try to exploit it when he takes over Earth later? There are a ton of contradictions, and the dude before listed them. Do you think Red Rush is 400mph?
You'd think the specific frequency weakness would be well known, but Cecil is the stated originator, so that train of though doesn't really work either. Either being the operative word. I had assumed it was a mask that was able to be put over his mouth, but it does look like an ear device. The heat of the sun should not be able to damage someone like Thragg, but it can and it tracks with the heat insurability weakness. You'd think heat heat weapons would also be a thing.

Yeah, typical value stuff, not how the abilities work. Sub space isn't conducted because the reactions happen at a subatomic level. We can't visible see atomic reactions in our world, bit we know they happen. This is the same principle.

Also, Battle Beast was essentially retconned to top tier status. There is no reason he didn't kill everyone there with a hard cough. Kirkman slyly pointed out that power cliff when Thragg properly met Battle Beast.

You'd think the specific frequency weakness would be well known, but Cecil is the stated originator, so that train of though doesn't really work either.
Why is that? Flaxans have no contact with any characters from the main dimension. Why would it be credited to them, when the actual weakness was only put into words way later down the line?
The heat of the sun should not be able to damage someone like Thragg, but it can and it tracks with the heat insurability weakness. You'd think heat heat weapons would also be a thing.
Heat and blunt force durability are inherently two different things. Besides, isn’t it a case in fiction that writers overrate the power of the Sun? Mjolnir, Knull anyone? I’ve also previously conceded to the notion that some parts of the handbook could be correct, but the directly contradicted ends should not be used. In the case of speed, I heavily disagree with FTL travel from Viltrumites purely being sub-space teleportation. What is your stance on it?
Sub space isn't conducted because the reactions happen at a subatomic level. We can't visible see atomic reactions in our world, bit we know they happen. This is the same principle.

Also, Battle Beast was essentially retconned to top tier status. There is no reason he didn't kill everyone there with a hard cough. Kirkman slyly pointed out that power cliff when Thragg properly met Battle Beast.
Sub-space “jumps” imply teleportation, so yes, they would be perceived at the macromolecular level. I can get behind the Battle Beast part but, again, that was only to point out how painfully inconsistent and contradicted the handbook is to the main source material.

Why is that? Flaxans have no contact with any characters from the main dimension. Why would it be credited to them, when the actual weakness was only put into words way later down the line?

Heat and blunt force durability are inherently two different things. Besides, isn’t it a case in fiction that writers overrate the power of the Sun? Mjolnir, Knull anyone? I’ve also previously conceded to the notion that some parts of the handbook could be correct, but the directly contradicted ends should not be used. In the case of speed, I heavily disagree with FTL travel from Viltrumites purely being sub-space teleportation. What is your stance on it?

Sub-space “jumps” imply teleportation, so yes, they would be perceived at the macromolecular level. I can get behind the Battle Beast part but, again, that was only to point out how painfully inconsistent and contradicted the handbook is to the main source material.
My meaning is if the Flaxans figured out the frequency thing, so should Thaedues and anyone else with greater understanding of Viltrumites. Cecil is who Rudy points to as being the source of the weakness exploit, not the Flaxans.

Both are forms of energy. Heat is matter vibrating very quickly, and a heat source has to do the same for whatever it's trying to heat up. Blunt force energy is just kinetic energy over a given area, which is why split energy for someone like Wonder Woman doesn't make sense. Yeah, like the power of the sun, surface area is also misunderstood by most artists, but Kirkman made a conscious effort to try and explain most of his universe.

If you can't react to to it, it'll be perceived as being teleportion at a macromolecular scale Smart atoms entering subspace just puts them one atom ahead of the never, beyond lightspeed or even tachyon. They're still moving at MFTL speeds, only they don't have beyond infinite kinetic energy.

My meaning is if the Flaxans figured out the frequency thing, so should Thaedues and anyone else with greater understanding of Viltrumites. Cecil is who Rudy points to as being the source of the weakness exploit, not the Flaxans.
Could just be a plot-hole, I guess? It doesn’t make any more sense than Flaxans utilising the supposed “Quantum foam” power to depower him, and then Rudy going ahead and living there for several millennia having not come across it, even though the lore was retold to him during his time there.

Both are forms of energy. Heat is matter vibrating very quickly, and a heat source has to do the same for whatever it's trying to heat up. Blunt force energy is just kinetic energy over a given area, which is why split energy for someone like Wonder Woman doesn't make sense. Yeah, like the power of the sun, surface area is also misunderstood by most artists, but Kirkman made a conscious effort to try and explain most of his universe.
If this was the case in-universe, the kinetic energy transfer from blunt force/punches should be of equal effect to their smart atoms when delivered at equivalent levels of energy as the plasma heat of the Sun they were taking. I’m sure you’re not believing that, though. Kirkman didn’t write the handbooks, other writers were brought in to do so. Kirkman supposedly signed off on it, but let’s be real - he obviously didn’t look or think to care much about the contents of massively sciency parts of it, so just gave them the thumbs up.
If you can't react to to it, it'll be perceived as being teleportion at a macromolecular scale Smart atoms entering subspace just puts them one atom ahead of the never, beyond lightspeed or even tachyon. They're still moving at MFTL speeds, only they don't have beyond infinite kinetic energy.
What are you saying it’ll look like for a character who could react to MFTL speeds close range? Let’s not pretend the verse takes the laws of special relativity seriously either. KE is obviously considered by every verse with PUNCH to an extent, but not in such strenuous detail.

Wait, Kirkman didn't write the handbook? (Fair point on the heat thing; I don't see Viltrumites hitting with less energy that the sun puts out into their bodies, nor is their energy transfer high.)

Shit

Wait, Kirkman didn't write the handbook? (Fair point on the heat thing; I don't see Viltrumites hitting with less energy that the sun puts out into their bodies, nor is their energy transfer high.)

Shit
Hell, there isn’t even any consistency of like 1 or 2 or even 3 specific writers for each of every different character page. Hover over the scan below:
4bZIJuOCczbuHqmswwvzFiVVsEcSxZA1VkJwenBKPTlznGvRirjmXt5-Mh5qbVYz_o9tQ4QiMtK_NTQiXfZPqZgK5zAxrhDtOEETVEfHubVOf7WqqM_ubEOPXwalHwHssSBAlw=s0

•”w” in brackets is indicated for writer.
Also do you know how to take off tags for every comment in watched threads? Keep getting pinged even when not tagged

I was unaware the subatomic shit only came from the handbooks

In cases like these the handbooks are usually disregarded for actual in series feats

I'll work on a calc for Omni-mans flight speed soon then

"I am from the planet Thraxa [...] It's a couple galaxies away" - Nuolzot

I'm unsure what we would use as a baseline distance for this. Milky Way - Andromeda seems like too much of a lowball given its explicitly multiple galaxies away, and that's the closest one.

Maybe Triangulum? But even that seems like a low-ball.

I'm unsure what we would use as a baseline distance for this. Milky Way - Andromeda seems like too much of a lowball given its explicitly multiple galaxies away, and that's the closest one.

Well until we get an actual nane for thraxan’s galaxy we’re just gonna have to lowball

Distance from Milky way to andromeda x2 I feel is the best lowball

Back