• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Kusuo Saiki Revisions…

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already stated in my post that I have little comment on the canonicity matters.

I can, and have, evaluated the information as it is provided. However, my perspective would obviously change if it can be unambiguously shown that the information isn't applicable to the main continuity.
I see. In that case, I suppose your agree shouldn't be taken as agree for the time being.

That being said, I have gone and read the novel now. And, wow... the context sure makes the evidence given here worse.

Like, to get started, let me note that this is a crossover between several of the manga author's series. And the novel practically acknowledges that it is non-canon to one of them
The man introduces himself.
“Hmph… My name is Ruchi. I’m a super idol in the 'Legendary Idol New Generation: Kanata Seven Change’ universe.”
(A world of heroes? You must be kidding me. I’ll use the power of ‘sight’ to turn this world into one that adores me… Ha ha ha…)
(I bet he can’t actually use that power in his series…)
The novel literally points out how the guy can use abilities he shouldn't in the novel.

And the only thing Sight Energy is ever used for is to portal between universes. That's what all those quotes are about. Portaling between universes. The whole "pulling worlds together" thing is about opening some locally limited portals.
“Ugh, I knew I had no chance against an esper on my own…” spits out Haganeno.

“Weapons aren’t enough. I need more people.”

Don’t tell me you can even summon people from your world…?!

“Precisely! Come over, characters from ‘Our Hero Studies’!”

He opens his arms and smirks.

Suddenly, the air behind Haganeno starts getting distorted, and from the distortion, a beam of light I had never seen before appears. Ripples start spreading in a circular pattern, and then out of nowhere, an entire city appears in front of me.

“I’m connecting both worlds! This is the power of ‘sight’!”

Dark clouds start forming surrounding Haganeno. Our surroundings get dark as night, and we’re enveloped in an unpleasant aura. An ominous wind starts blowing.

“Hahahahahaha!! Rejoice as the characters from 'Our Hero Studies’ start pouring into this world! This world will soon be overtaken by

'Our Hero Studies’
! And then Saiki Kusuo will be no more than an extra character! Will he be able to survive until the end? Who knows?! This is Asou’s All-Star Battle to the death!” Haganeno announces loudly as his cape flutters in the ominous wind.

“Ha ha ha… And it’s not just this novelization… I’ll take over the volumes and eventually chapters in the Weekly Shonen Jump as well! Next week’s issue won’t have ‘The Disastrous Life of Saiki Kusuo’ in it, but ‘My Hero Studies’!”

Watch the title!

Haganeno laughs loudly without noticing he got the name of his own series wrong. I guess he has internalized the mistake, despite me emphasizing that it should be Our.

“Let me teach you a lesson, you serialized Jump bastards! I’m back!!”

The world keeps distorting due to the power of ‘sight’. The rumble everywhere gets even louder and snappier.

What a disaster. Haganeno has a strong final boss vibe to him. I don’t think I’ve ever met someone like that so far. Is it really okay for a protagonist like him to become a final boss in the first place? Aren’t you treating your protagonists too harshly?

“Bwahahaha… Bwahahahaha!! Eh? …. Huh?”

Haganeno turns around to check the world’s distortion. Everything’s distorted and rumbling, but no one’s coming over. Eventually even the sound effects stop altogether. It’s quiet.

The first one to break the silence with a deafening scream is Haganeno himself.

“Whaaaat?! Why isn’t anybody coming over?! Why?! Come!!”

Haganeno starts punching the distortion like someone who’s trying to punch a broken TV back in shape. The surface ripples along. Wait, you can just touch it like normal?

Haganeno starts bickering, clearly frustrated.

“Damn it!! Why isn’t anyone showing up?! Why?! What happened to Buffalo Crap Island?! And Shigeru-kun the doll?! What about the guy with the beat board?! Show up already!!”

I don’t really get it, but he seems to be calling out for some strange people. He didn’t even call the last guy by his name, so I guess that’s how important of a character he is. If the recollection of the “Our Hero Stories” readers is correct, his choices were a big gamble.

“This is bullshit!! Come on out already!! I’ll break your damn teeth!!”

Haganeno starts kicking the world’s distortion. More importantly, what even is that distortion in the first place? It’s behaving like some stolen front door you’d find on the black market.

As this clearly demonstrates, this man has no friends whatsoever.

And then finally someone shows up beyond the rippling surface.
"But it comes from the reader's minds!"
Yeah, the novel constantly breaks the fourth wall. That's why the villain literally just used it to summon a weapon from his series.
This giant amount of energy that makes the boundaries between worlds hazy also allowed him to summon his weapon with ease. That’s troublesome.

“Ha ha ha!! Dieee!! You pieces of trash!!”

Haganeno throws his steel ball at us while shouting a very non-heroic line.

An unknown weapon in an unknown world. Things will get even worse if he starts pulling out even more weapons from his world. Well, I guess I could stop this steel ball with just one finger, though. I point my index finger at the mass of steel flying at us. I’m not worried about my finger at all, of course. The moment it’s about to touch the steel ball, it stops mid-air.

(Actually, we can stop it without even touching it.)

Says Saiki Kusuo standing beside me as he uses his psychokinesis.
And opening a few portals in an attempt to summon more people used it all up.
“Huh? Wait… No way…? No… All the ‘sight’ I gathered for a year… there’s no way that it’s all just gone like that… right…?”

Seems like you’ve used up all your ‘sight’. Haganeno collapses on the floor. He can’t summon any weapons or people. He seems distraught and astonished.

“Nobody showed up and I used up all my ‘sight’. This sucks! Damn it!! Damn you Saikiii! I wanted to be a part of the J Stars Victory Versus as well!!”
Neither a Low 1-C nor a 2-A energy would do that. It's the equivalent of some character in a kids show saying "children, you must believe in me or I can't do it!". Just because it comes from readers doesn't make it powerful.
Oh yeah, btw. as you see it does mention J Stars Victory Versus. It mentions that is another parallel universe... that just adds to the examples of series involved that this novel is obviously not canon to.

Oh and Saiki directly acknowledges his power is too weak to even travel between universes
That’s right, in order to return, I need this world’s Saiki Kusuo to help me. Moving between universes requires more power than I can handle on my own.
We can create a distortion just like Haganeno did with “sight” earlier. Of course, I’ve never done this before, and I wouldn’t be able to do it normally, even without my limiter.
If I were alone, that is.
However, right now I have me by my side. An esper, Saiki Kusuo. The most reliable person there is. I’m sure we can make the impossible possible together.
Given, he can do it if his parallel world self helps as well, but... yeah, a multiversal power wouldn't have this issue.

Seeing your mangas as fiction who sees the manga as fiction who sees the manga as fiction who sees…

Infinite.
No, not seeing your manga as fiction. In your manga there exists a random book that just happens to detail what happens in your world.
Expect Saiki literally talks about the things we learn in the novel. Like his teleportation
Yeah, he talks about how someone reading the book can learn something from the book.
If the novel never happened then neither Kusuo or Kusuke would say this.
Unless, of course, there were a novel saying those things that they read, which as you will notice fits well to the fact that they say that there is a novel saying these things that they read.
Again Saiki is known for breaking the fourth wall all the time, him breaking the fourth wall and seeing his media as fiction is simply a gag while promoting the novel and since the events match making it canon
Him breaking the fourth wall is a gag, yes. Him presenting the novel as existing as just a novel in the manga is not establishing the events as things that actually happened.
Oh so when it doesnt go your way its fourth wall breaking??

Is it an actual novel or is it fourth wall breaking? Literally pick one so I can debate more accurately.
If you ask me: It's probably breaking the fourth wall, meaning we should ignore the statements in the same way a character going "please watch the anime" would be ignored for canon.
I'm only humoring the idea that it isn't a fourth wall break since some people might think the statement should not be discarded like that. It's just that in that case it's still just a statement of a book.

Basically, as I said before, your problem is that you want the statement to have serious implications, instead of just being a gag, but if taken as them saying it as something that is a serious part of the universe it still won't work, so you then say it's a gag and shouldn't be taken as what's actually happening.
Either it's a joke, and hence not applicable as evidence, or it is not a joke and has to be taken to mean exactly what they say. You can't have it being serious evidence, but what they say doesn't matter as it's a joke and instead it should mean what you make up for it to mean.

Heck, what your entire argument is concerned, in the novel apparently Kaido knows they are in a novel as well.
For instance, right now I can pick up the thoughts of everyone inside the classroom, and it’s a bother. And it’s not just because Kaido is fantasizing about writing the entire novelization using runes or anything. That’s just business as usual. But this time is different.
So if the novel were canon, then apparently people would know they are in a novel
Yet he talks about the things he learnt in the novel about teleportation.
Yes, he talks about how one can learn from a book.
Yeah, that's better, although I still need the sources to the scans.
That being said, I see nothing that supports the point. It's just a list of cameos and references that were made in this gag manga. It's like Kamachi uses Waltraute's design from "The Circumstances Leading to Waltraute's Marriage" when the mythological being Waltraute is summoned in "The Unexplored Summon". It's a nice homage, but it doesn't mean the series are canon to each other now.

Heck, be the novel's logic those crossovers shouldn't happen, as each series would be its own universe with the only way to travel between them being the rare sight energy...

But yeah, mainly, it's just cameos, not a declaration that those series are canon to each other. The worst part is that the cameo's are not even from the novel specifically. It's just cameo's from the author's other series....

Last edited:
Like, to get started, let me note that this is a crossover between several of the manga author's series. And the novel practically acknowledges that it is non-canon to one of them

The novel literally points out how the guy can use abilities he shouldn't in the novel.
Irrelevant since its not non-canon to Kusuo.
And the only thing Sight Energy is ever used for is to portal between universes. That's what all those quotes are about. Portaling between universes. The whole "pulling worlds together" thing is about opening some locally limited portals.
He says he is gonna "put all the worlds together" and take over the entire series.
"But it comes from the reader's minds!"
Yeah, the novel constantly breaks the fourth wall. That's why the villain literally just used it to summon a weapon from his series.
Yep. Breaking the fourth wall can be canon to the series power if its acting like one.
Oh and Saiki directly acknowledges his power is too weak to even travel between universes

Given, he can do it if his parallel world self helps as well, but... yeah, a multiversal power wouldn't have this issue.
Which I already noted in the CRT my guy.
No, not seeing your manga as fiction. In your manga there exists a random book that just happens to detail what happens in your world.

Yeah, he talks about how someone reading the book can learn something from the book.

Unless, of course, there were a novel saying those things that they read, which as you will notice fits well to the fact that they say that there is a novel saying these things that they read.

Him breaking the fourth wall is a gag, yes. Him presenting the novel as existing as just a novel in the manga is not establishing the events as things that actually happened.
- We see Saiki use the fourth wall breaking to show his novel as a novel

- Yet it has several references to Saiki

- And Saiki literally tells the viewer that they can learn more about his powers by reading the novel

It being an actual novel makes no sense since Kusuo hides his powers.
If you ask me: It's probably breaking the fourth wall, meaning we should ignore the statements in the same way a character going "please watch the anime" would be ignored for canon.
I'm only humoring the idea that it isn't a fourth wall break since some people might think the statement should not be discarded like that. It's just that in that case it's still just a statement of a book.

Basically, as I said before, your problem is that you want the statement to have serious implications, instead of just being a gag, but if taken as them saying it as something that is a serious part of the universe it still won't work, so you then say it's a gag and shouldn't be taken as what's actually happening.
Either it's a joke, and hence not applicable as evidence, or it is not a joke and has to be taken to mean exactly what they say. You can't have it being serious evidence, but what they say doesn't matter as it's a joke and instead it should mean what you make up for it to mean.
I didnt say the entire ******* thing was a joke/the entire thing is serious.

The "seeing and holding it as an actual novel" is a fourth wall gag.

Referencing the information within it is not a fourth wall gag but an actual addition for the novels canonity.
Heck, what your entire argument is concerned, in the novel apparently Kaido knows they are in a novel as well.

So if the novel were canon, then apparently people would know they are in a novel
Kaido also thinks he is in an anime in the anime. He also thinks he is the main character.

You cannot use Kaido since he makes dumb statements and lies...all the time.
Yes, he talks about how one can learn from a book.
Yep. Its a book for us. The viewers. Correct. Kusuke part is fourth wall breaking gag.
That being said, I see nothing that supports the point. It's just a list of cameos and references that were made in this gag manga. It's like Kamachi uses Waltraute's design from "The Circumstances Leading to Waltraute's Marriage" when the mythological being Waltraute is summoned in "The Unexplored Summon". It's a nice homage, but it doesn't mean the series are canon to each other now.
We see several events and locations exists in both places. They are connected is a good support feat.
Heck, be the novel's logic those crossovers shouldn't happen, as each series would be its own universe with the only way to travel between them being the rare sight energy...

But yeah, mainly, it's just cameos, not a declaration that those series are canon to each other. The worst part is that the cameo's are not even from the novel specifically. It's just cameo's from the author's other series....
The novel is not canon to every single character in it

Its only canon to Kusuo.
Since he directly talks about it in his manga.

Also did you know Kusuo had a canon crossover with Koro sensei? That wasnt canon to koro, yet it was likely canon to kusuo since it happened in the official manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back