• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Discussion Thread - Red & Blue arc

Remembered this little bit after seeing this, in gameplay Tera boosts moves that don't have priority or multihit to 60 BP if they aren't already that strong after factoring stuff like Technician
True, although that info seems to be not openly presented to the audience other than through the damage & base power values, the numbers. I feel like for that to be applicable to mention on profiles, we'd have to get some kind of official &/or in-universe acknowledgement like from the official website or in-game dialogue.

As is, I fear it's more Game Mechanics than actual lore.

It's more of a game mechanic to make the mechanic stick out more early-game, until we get some statement confirming it exists in-universe or similar.

Sorry for the derail. About the Pokemon physiology thing.
They should get pressure point since critical hits have the same meaning.

Apparently so. The Japanese for "critical hit" directly translates to "pressure point." In Japanese, the phrase "A critical hit!" actually translates to "Hit a pressure point!"
This is also shown in the manga.

Blue's machamp using focus energy performed a critical hit by one shotting an opponent with a single touch.

Apparently so. The Japanese for "critical hit" directly translates to "pressure point." In Japanese, the phrase "A critical hit!" actually translates to "Hit a pressure point!"
This is also shown in the manga.

Blue's machamp using focus energy performed a critical hit by one shotting an opponent with a single touch.
While I appreciate that this might help give more definition to critical hits:

1. IIRC, we generally frown upon & discourage attributing things based off of names alone.
2. I haven't seen the scans, so with the context you've given me, Machamp getting a crit one-shotting something doesn't necessarily mean it struck a pressure point.
3. I think this could be a bit of a weird, old terminolgy thing; It would be questionable for many Pokemon to have "pressure" point. Pokemon like Gastly & Koffing are mostly gas. Slugma is lava. Nosepass is a rock. Beldum is a magnetically hovering metal claw. Rotom is plasma. & so on & so forth.

While I appreciate that this might help give more definition to critical hits:

1. IIRC, we generally frown upon & discourage attributing things based off of names alone.
This is not a naming fallacy thing though. The games literally say "Hit a pressure point!" As in, a critical hit means you hit a pressure point

This is not a naming fallacy thing though. The games literally say "Hit a pressure point!" As in, a critical hit means you hit a pressure point
That's the in-game message, then, so that lends it more credit. But the idea that that's always the case feels flawed with the diversity of Pokemon biologies & moves. Even without weird biologies, how does something like Smog hit a Pressure Point?

Uh... then what this would be?
Resistance to Pressure Point Attacks
That's the in-game message, then, so that lends it more credit. But the idea that that's always the case feels flawed with the diversity of Pokemon biologies & moves. Even without weird biologies, how does something like Smog hit a Pressure Point?
Any move can be used to target any part of the body (I actually just remembered this, but y'all remember when that one weird orb thingy possessed Ash in the Battle Frontier and he had Sceptile use Leaf Blade on Regirock's legs? Prime example)

Also, pressure points should exist in all living beings, as they're meant to be points that are vital to the body, so regardless of how a Pokemon looks or is, it should have one.

Uh... then what this would be?
Lucky Chant (おまじない Good Luck Charm) "The user chants an incantation toward the sky, preventing the foe from landing critical hits."
"Lucky Chant prevents opponents from landing critical hits on the user's party for five turns, even if the move would always result in a critical hit"

It appears to be Magic, which grants the user Supernatural Luck/some degree of Passive Probability Manipulation.

Last edited:
I mean, some animes have pressure points that if hit the enemy literally explodes.

So weird physiology having pressure points is just fiction being fiction

More proof that wild mons should not scale to trained ones.
  • Pokémon at the same level may not always have identical stats. Pokémon raised by Trainers are said to grow stronger than wild Pokémon.

Anyway, I'm binging the anime rn......is it possible to establish the layers of hax?

Going by levels, Pokedex entries and GF gimmicks like Mega Evolution , it's kind of obvious

What you're explaining is game mechanics
If you mean "the nature of Stat EXP/EVs, &/or trainers having better AI than wild Pokemon", then yes. I do consider those game mechanics & was aware of those as such.
My point was that some in-game dialogue can be intended as explanation of game mechanics that may not actually be applicable to the lore; In this case, I think that it seems like there's a good case to assume the dialogue you mentioned in opposition to scaling Wild 'mons to trained 'mons is dialogue meant to refer to game mechanics primarily so as to inform the player of it, rather than being of significance to the lore.

Should professor Oak's shorts be considered canonical? Looks gag-ish

I have 300+ episodes of it

. Basically video proof of what is mentioned in pokedex

Should professor Oak's shorts be considered canonical? Looks gag-ish

I have 300+ episodes of it

. Basically video proof of what is mentioned in pokedex
I would tentatively support its use; The Pokemon anime is plenty comedic, I don't see why we should consider this part of it discontinuity.

Back