• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Project for updating the Standard Profile Format

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also added a comment about the *: thing, which is visible only in source code.

So, ("(" not included) <(!-- Ignore the *: thing when you are copying a template to your actual article --)>. I don't think most users would notice it, to be honest, Skalt711;and if this is the case I think this section can be removed.

The sandbox looks about fine to me and I can wait for the relevant updates

@Elizhaa

That can be a case, yes. I'll agree.

Edit: I hope that staff can help me phrasing instructions :)

Given that you placed the explanation about large powers & abilities sections under "Additional information", would it be good to use a small centered example image of what they look like?

Antvasima said:
Given that you placed the explanation about large powers & abilities sections under "Additional information", would it be good to use a small centered example image of what they look like?
It's definitely possible to create an image about it. Soon I'll lose access to my PC, so I can't work on the image in the next 19 hours.

I've found some information about the automatical username-related template:

Code:
(function () { if (wgUserName != null) $('span.insertusername').text(wgUserName); })()
This code should be inserted to our Common.js page so the trick could work.

Code:
<span class="insertusername"><insert name here></span>
This code should be inserted to our template page. It might take some time after updating our Common.js page though, but then we will be able to test it.

Okay. Is it too much trouble if you ask Darkanine or Promestein to handle this task? I am very tired.

I have been discussing with Podonklos about his idea. Consider reviewing the revision that he suggests to apply...

Podonklos' idea
Why don't we model our Powers and Abilities sections off of other Wikis? We could format them in the same way the Marvel and DC Comics Databases do, like so:

Powers and Abilities

• Superhuman Physical Characteristics
  • Fire Manipulation
  • Time Manipulation
This also has the benefit of allowing extra space to define exactly how a character's power works. Imagine a profile about a wizard with a variety of spells. Instead of just listing the above "Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Fire Manipulation, Time Manipulation", we can now go into more detail than just a sentence or two, and instead say something like:

Powers and Abilities

• Superhuman Physical Characteristics
  • Fire Manipulation: Wizarrgh is capable of absorbing fire from every source within 8 meters of himself. This fire is then amplified and returned, with the returning flames reaching a temperature of up to 10,000 degrees.
  • Time Manipulation: Wizarrgh has a natural aptitude for tapping into the timestream. Normally, this allows him to slow time to 1/4th its normal pace, or conversely speed it up to 4x the normal pace. At his peak, though, Wizarrgh can slow time to the point that it halts entirely.
It's much more detail in a far more concise manner, and also allows us to cover more powers with less space. As now instead of listing "Time Manipulation, Time Travel, Time Stop" separately, we can just list "Time Manipulation" and give all the uses of that power.

The only downside I can see to this is that characters with many powers will have incredibly long pages, due to the amount of bullet points. One method I can see around this would be to hide Powers and Abilities sections with extreme length under a spoiler tab, so that way readers don't have to scroll a hundred meters unless they want to.

Skalt711 said:
Don't necro ;-;... If somebody's curious, the main dicussion has been moved to this thread.
@Karter406 Not a bad idea... The realization would look a bit strange, but Darkanine takes care of it. The problem is that theorically it may massively change the way the source code looks like. I'm a bit afraid that users wouldn't be able to add abilities as simple as before. But let's see, maybe Darkanine will give a simple solution.
Say, what if you could also add one of those "More Info" things on each of the character's powers? Something like a small slightly-raised question mark the editor put at the end of certain powers. This could be useful for specifying how the character can use certain abilities, and what they can be used for.

Because there's a big difference between Pre-Timeskip Kid Sasuke Uchiha "Having Fire Creation and Fire Manipulation" because he knows Fire Style: Fireball Jutsu and Zuko having Fire Creation and Fire Manipulation because he's a great Firebender.

@Skalt711

Our current system works fine in that regard, whereas the new one would take too much room in the page, especially as we already go more in-depth in the notable attacks/techniques sections. We cannot start a project that would restructure over 18000 pages for very little gain, so the suggestion is definitely rejected. Sorry.

Let's return to getting done what this thread was intended for.

@Karter406

Such a change would require too meticulous combing through a massive amount of profiles, and to insert impractical code into lots of them. So again, let's stop derailing with impractical and unrealistic side-topics.

Karter, That's already been widely done with paranthesis after each ability of what a character can do with it, or putting down the exact sub-power of an ability. Having powers in a listed format isn't a bad idea, but wouldn't really work with ones with a shit ton of wall text from powers alone (scrollbars could maybe deal with that but, that's another thing). But yeah, as said before whatever's being updated on the standard format page needs to have the same done to the standard layout preset as well or is that part of what Ogurtsow is doing.

@Ogurtsow

You can probably ask A6colute, Darkanine, and Promestein for help, just so we do nothing that is potentially bad for the wiki.

@Antvasima

Understandable. By the way, today I'm going to take a break as I'm very tired. I'll return to work tomorrow.

Skalt711 said:
@Karter406 Let's see what does staff think about it
What if the "More Info" question icons weren't mandatory, but were instead a BBcode thing inserted into wikis with the aid of a button next to the Bold and Italicize buttons? So editors could choose when to add the question thing, and when not to.

Yes, go away and stop bothering us about this please. Otherwise we will never get this done.

oof...a little harsh Ant.

But yes, please save any other suggestions to bring up in the future Karter, we have to get done with the main topic of this thread.

Sorry. I am overexerted and annoyed in general.

I want to suggest my idea about the order of ability placement. How it works? The abilities are placed in specific order to make the navigation a bit more comfortable. I'd prefer for it to be noted, not being a required thing, more like an additional help at readability improvement.

Edit: I'd take an alphabetical order.

The powers and abilities sections do not need to have an alphabetical order. It would encourage massive amounts of wholly unnecessary mass-editing.

I thought of it as an optional thing, but okay. I'll focus on polishing the instructions then.

No, but the current changes are enough. If we overcomplicate things lots of our pages will turn cluttered, and I will be swarmed with unnecessary edits to monitor.

Skalt711 said:
I want to suggest my idea about the order of ability placement. How it works? The abilities are placed in specific order to make the navigation a bit more comfortable. I'd prefer for it to be noted, not being a required thing, more like an additional help at readability improvement.

Edit: I'd take an alphabetical order.
What I've personally seen (and try to do myself) is have Regenerationn/immortality near the start, and resistances right at the end. With the order of everything in-between (and if you have something like Superhuman Physical Characteristics before Regenerationn/immortality) not having any set rules and being up to you.

I don't think getting too specific like alphapetical order is the best thing for all the files though. Using Oryx, the Taken King as an example, the ability string of "Corruption, Law Manipulation, Conceptual Manipulation, Reality Warping, Existence Erasure, Mind Manipulation, Body Puppetry and Possession" is all together because he can do all that stuff with one attack. (He can also do some separately in different applications but that's besides the point.) An alphabetical structure would make his P&A really weird, since either I'd have the same justification like 8 times or you'd be jumping around a lot.

Yes, and updating 18500 profiles for something pointless like that would be ridiculous.

Being busy with school. Actually that alphabetical order came from me when I was extremely bored and tired 'cause of school (There have been very intense lessons, no wonders), that's how I explain my suggestions' weirdness. I hope that you can understand me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back