• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
this is kinda disgusting
japan’s culture is dark
dbaniv7-9a81551d-cebc-4d8b-8a27-3e36021a341d.png
I mean this thread ain't really the discussion for this topic, but if you're being serious, I would not apply one specific manga to the entire culture of Japan.

Besides I've always called 7DS overrated trash ngl. People get hard whenever they see anime that has strong characters hitting each other with a lot of power that also has a few likeable characters, because most people are easily entertained and a surprising number of people prefer this really bland, basic, and boring stories over more intricate and well-written ones, even if every other aspect is bad.

Furthermore, it had sexual harassment "jokes" since chapter/episode 1. The whole cliche of sexual harassment=funny has been in a lot of fictional media, but especially in Japanese anime/manga, however it has largely died down over the years as things have changed in all facets of society and became more progressive. But there are still anime/manga where it's commonly shown, and 7DS is one of them. It's always been a red flag for me.

In context, it makes sense and has nothing to do with deviancy. Elizabeth was (at the time) doomed to fall in love with Meliodas and die for the 108th time, so he's talking about her in a future and past sense rather than a present sense.

But that didn't stop Meliodas from committing war crimes against her when she was 16 and he was 3,000.

It gets way worse in 4KoA, by the way. One of the side characters from NNT wanted to meet up with a 10-13 year old for a cupcake. And the portrayal of Gawain is just ******* strange.

In context, it makes sense. Elizabeth was (at the time) doomed to fall in love with Meliodas and die for the 108th time, so he's talking about her in a future and past sense rather than a present sense.

But that didn't stop Meliodas from committing war crimes against her when she was 16 and he was 3,000.

It gets way worse in 4KoA, by the way. One of the side characters in NNT wanted to meet up with a 10-13 year old for a cupcake.
I remember the legendary panel, "I beat the **** out of my dick so god damn hard-".

In context, it makes sense. Elizabeth was (at the time) doomed to fall in love with Meliodas and die for the 108th time, so he's talking about her in a future and past sense rather than a present sense.

It gets way worse in 4KoA, by the way. One of the side characters from NNT wanted to meet up with a 10-13 year old for a cupcake. And the portrayal of Gawain is just ******* strange.
But yeah the Meliodas and Elizabeth dynamic makes some reasonable sense, though it's very much morally dubious and most would argue wrong on Meliodas' part.

Honestly the worst one that people gloss over in favor of Mel and Liz, or Ban and Elaine, is King and Diane. Like, no one talks about the debatable implications of King kind of raising her while being attracted to her since she was a child, and also ended up being her main love interest, if I remember correctly? I made it a sizeable way through the series even though I was never a huge fan. The only character I cared about at all was Escanor, especially because he had good tastes in regards to Merlin...then that thing happened. But I digress.

Meliodas didn't remotely raise her at all. He gave her to the Liones family, and they met on a few occasions. One instance was when she nearly died during Hendrickson and Dreyfus' coup, and Meliodas almost destroyed Liones, forcing Merlin to seal his powers.

That doesn't remotely begin to excuse the weird sexual harassment in the series, though.

Escanor is raw
if Yujiro is the ultimate alpha male of anime, Escanor is the ultimate sigma male in anime
Sorry Ziller but WHAT? Sigma is NOT an Escanor term. Sigma's are masculine chads that stick to themselves and quietly obtain success they desire while ignoring things they don't need or want. Escanor is a simp and literally the embodiment of pride that wants others to know how great he is almost as much as he wants to **** Merlin.

Wasn't Elaine one of cases of "Looks young but is actually centuries old"?
Yes. Elaine is over 1,000, while King is 1,300 and looks around the same age.

They only look like adults near the end of the ******* series due to transformations.

Last edited:
Meliodas didn't remotely raise her at all. He gave her to the Liones family, and they met on a few occasions. One instance was when she nearly died during Hendrickson and Dreyfus' coup, and Meliodas almost destroyed Liones, forcing Merlin to seal his powers.

That doesn't remotely begin to excuse the weird sexual harassment in the series, though.
I was talking about King and Diane, not Mel and Elizabeth.

The images loading were just ******* with my ability to properly read that comment. It just causes the page order to jump around.

By the way, the definition of loli is different from what you guys think. Someone is called loli when they are an actual child depicted in sexual way. Lolicon term also comes from there afaik

Yeah, like, doesn't he grab her **** in like the first chapter/episode (without consent obv), before she even knows him? And it was supposed be funny.

By the way, the definition of loli is different from what you think. Someone is called loli when they are actual child depicted in sexual way. Lolicon term also comes from there afaik
It's used interchangeably and has kind of lost its original meaning due to the way people have warped it, in the same vein as the term hentai having originally meant "pervert" (and still does where the word actually comes from) but now meaning you know what here in the west.

He does it in pretty much every early chapter, especially the first.

I like the series for how casually destructive the characters are and the world building, so I wish Nabaka would get rid of that kind of shit regardless of the character ages. It's not really about it being sexualisation or anything (idc about that shit), just that it's a strange portrayal.

Last edited:
It's so weird how such a concerningly large portion of society can't just be rational and sane human beings. In media, things have shifted so far one direction, that on either side of the spectrum, it's either "Look at a woman and you're a sex offender" or "Women are objects of sex", and it seems LESS common to find the middle-ground at this point...

Furthermore, so much bias has been created and intensified in these beliefs, that if you say one thing that contradicts an aspect of how someone thinks, they automatically believe you're on "that side". If I were to try to explain why I don't think it's harassment to talk to a woman, I could be called a perverted incel or something, whereas if I explain why I don't think women should be treated like they exist only for sexual gratification and the like, I'm now apparently apart of the "Weak woke herd" that will be crushed under the wave of "Chad sigma's" in the great revolution (being typed by a 300 pound Redditor probably).

Anyways I'm gonna cut my tirade short because I forgot what this thread was meant for, for a second.

I like the series for how casually destructive the characters are and the world building, so I wish Nabaka would get rid of that kind of shit regardless of the character ages. It's not really about it being sexualisation or anything (idc about that shit), just that it's a strange portrayal.
All fair. Personally my main gripe was never within the weird sexual shit actually (that was the second main gripe), it was in the lack of emotionally compelling story and generally bland, generic, predictable characters. From the perspective of "action" which is what people typically come to Shonen for, it's not bad, but that's pretty much the only thing it has going for it, and that's not nearly enough for me. Even Dragon Ball has more depth and complexity, and that's saying a **** ton.

And the humor is just terrible.

Tbh I don't know why NTN became mainstream level at all. Its popularity dwarfed some actually amazing anime. Even Mob Psycho never really compared to NTN's peak despite being leaps and bounds better, even from a more objective rather than subjective standpoint. My main guess is that NTN has a lot of powercliffing and big spectacle type battles, which I guess can really get people THAT hyped.

I mean this thread ain't really the discussion for this topic, but if you're being serious, I would not apply one specific manga to the entire culture of Japan.

Besides I've always called 7DS overrated trash ngl. People get hard whenever they see anime that has strong characters hitting each other with a lot of power that also has a few likeable characters, because most people are easily entertained and a surprising number of people prefer this really bland, basic, and boring stories over more intricate and well-written ones, even if every other aspect is bad.

Furthermore, it had sexual harassment "jokes" since chapter/episode 1. The whole cliche of sexual harassment=funny has been in a lot of fictional media, but especially in Japanese anime/manga, however it has largely died down over the years as things have changed in all facets of society and became more progressive. But there are still anime/manga where it's commonly shown, and 7DS is one of them. It's always been a red flag for me.
i mean, every country has the dark side of its culture, it’s not strange.

and this the kinda of thing we expect from japanese culture, i mean, it’s explicitly. Im not implying anything.

powercliffing
Barring Merlin's weird power creep, I have to disagree until the ~end of the series.

The power-ups actually make a lot of sense in context and are very well set up/integrated into canon, especially in Gowther and King's case.

However, Escanor, Ban and Meliodas gain an illogical amount of strength near the end of the series.

i mean, every country has the dark side of its culture, it’s not strange.

and this the kinda of thing we expect from japanese culture, i mean, it’s explicitly. Im not implying anything.
Kind of but I think it's exaggerated. It's gotten to the point where there are a lot of people that genuinely think Japan is just straight-up a pedophile country, which is not only absurdly wrong, but obscenely disrespectful. It has also led to massive misconceptions about laws, with many westerners actually believing the AoC is 13, which isn't the truth and taking it out of context completely. The hard truth a lot of us American's don't seem to want to accept is that Japan's views on the matter aren't very much different from ours here in America, which is shown by their AoC laws, ironically, being closest to America's. I think the big difference is that the view on pedophilia and any related subjects varies massively. Here in America, having it be public knowledge is practically a social death sentence. In Japan, it's just viewed a weird thing some people have, but actually committing any sexual actions upon children is still immensely frowned upon across the whole country and a significant crime, it's just not treated as badly as it is here, though, in the actual justice system and not the judgement of the common public, it's arguably the other way around, but this really ain't the place for that discussion. So again, I digress.

Kind of but I think it's exaggerated. It's gotten to the point where there are a lot of people that genuinely think Japan is just straight-up a pedophile country, which is not only absurdly wrong, but obscenely disrespectful.
sorry to say this but the rest of the world would not think like that if they create laws to prohibit this kind of animation.

You know most the relationships in nnt is ****** up when there's only 2 normal relationships.

Zeldris and Gelda

Gilthunder and Margaret

The rest are so ******* weird.

Back